• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If Sakurai does move onto another Project, I hope he goes back to work on another new Kid Icarus game for a bit. Of course, it'd be interesting to see him work on another Kirby game for the first time in ages... Or a new IP, or work on some existing IPs in his own way.

i'd like platinum games to make the next kid icarus please.
Platinum Games, Bandai Namco, Retro Games, Next Level Games...Sakurai...all extremely valid choices to make another Kid Icarus game (aka the game series that doesn’t need a sequel...but is ****ing wanted)
I often find myself wanting there to never be another KI because I fear Nintendo might view gameplay of Sin & Punishment as too similar and pass on making a third, but then I remember they'll never make a 3rd S&P and my dislike of KI is irrational and unearned.
I really need a S&P3 though...
turn that hate into love for Kid Icarus
5BD0E90D-20A3-4C2B-80C7-1ECBFBF59E20.jpeg

Enchess

Smash Lord
Maybe Nintendo let Sakurai do his own thing for DLC and didn't mandate he make choices that will sell well. It may not sound likely, but it's possible.

Plus, speculation is incredibly boring if we aren't going to consider anyone who isn't "marketable"

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Also, "The greatest part of becoming an adult is that I don't get mad at Smash news anymore lol"
Japan has no chill whatsoever.
It's true though.

It's entertaining watching all ya'll freak out over this game while I'm over here simply waiting for the game because I know it'll be great.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Question: Why do people keep expecting a Three Houses rep for DLC? I thought that it was well known at this point that DLC was planned back in 2015, so why would a 2019 game that only got 2 minutes of footage at E3 2018 be anywhere on the radar for DLC? The same thing is going on with a potential Gen 8 rep. It just doesn't make sense for the context of the known restrictions on DLC.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
what if dragon quests slime got in before geno or sora?
As much as I prefer Geno, it'd make sense to put Slime in.
Dragon Quest's popularity in Japan is ridiculous. It'd be a big deal, and Slime is sort of the series' mascot. I'm sure they could give it a fun moveset too.

StormC

Smash Hero
Keep in mind after DLC wraps up (February 2020, presumably), Sakurai will have been working on Smash non-stop for eight years.

Dude's gotta take a vacation... right?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
>Metal Cavern still isn't in the game

1528385180218.gif

It better be DLC if one character doesn't necessarily need a stage for itself (FE, Mach Rider, etc.).

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Keep in mind after DLC wraps up (February 2020, presumably), Sakurai will have been working on Smash non-stop for eight years.

Dude's gotta take a vacation... right?
DLC is his vacation. On to Smash 6!
(Honestly the guy had better be making 7 figures in USD, or I'm gonna be complaining to Nintendo about not loving this man enough.)

StormC

Smash Hero
Both Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts are equally levels of screwed up licensing issues. If it came down to it, I would guess Sora would get in first due to more global popularity. But a DQ character isn't off the table, I suppose.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
As much as I prefer Geno, it'd make sense to put Slime in.
Dragon Quest's popularity in Japan is ridiculous. It'd be a big deal, and Slime is sort of the series' mascot. I'm sure they could give it a fun moveset too.
Slime Goomba and a Plant Goomba for DLC?

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, if any DQ character can get in, I "WANT" it to be Slime.

The idea of having it transform for all of its moves into the hundreds of other variations seems novel and fun. Its dash attack could be summoning a little knight to jab with a lance as a Slime Knight, its grab could be it turning into a Heal Slime, etc.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Question: Why do people keep expecting a Three Houses rep for DLC? I thought that it was well known at this point that DLC was planned back in 2015, so why would a 2019 game that only got 2 minutes of footage at E3 2018 be anywhere on the radar for DLC? The same thing is going on with a potential Gen 8 rep. It just doesn't make sense for the context of the known restrictions on DLC.
Because Sakurai can predict the future and put in a character from a game that hadn't even been thought up of yet.

Real answer: we've had 2 promotional fire emblem characters and people expect a 3rd.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Also, "The greatest part of becoming an adult is that I don't get mad at Smash news anymore lol"
Japan has no chill whatsoever.
This is actually me (not that I ever got mad about Smash news when I was younger either). In fact, every bit of news we've gotten has only gotten me more pumped for the game. :lol:

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
There's. A big reason he ain't a Mii Costume. He...physically cannot be one.
True but you get my point. He's not anywhere in the Direct. Not as a spirit (assuming Spirits deconfirm characters). Not as an AT. Nothing, even though he's one of the most requested characters in the poll.

"Bandana Dee can still be a spirit we haven't seen."

Maybe but it seems unlikely considering he's a really popular character and would have gotten revealed ASAP, especially when considering Sakurai doesn't view Spirits as deconfirms. He views them as having characters who aren't fighter participate in the match, like Assist Trophies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Both Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts are equally levels of screwed up licensing issues. If it came down to it, I would guess Sora would get in first due to more global popularity. But a DQ character isn't off the table, I suppose.
I feel like Nintendo would be able to pull something off with Disney. They already have a good partnership with Disney streaming some Nintendo events on TV, and the two even worked show together based off of the Nintendo Switch.

Come to think of it...the show's announcement came out around the time we began hearing about the SE Rep...

I swear if a ****ty Disney Channel series is what brings us Sora in Smash I'll be forever grateful to Disney Channel.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
Platinum Games, Bandai Namco, Retro Games, Next Level Games...Sakurai...all extremely valid choices to make another Kid Icarus game (aka the game series that doesn’t need a sequel...but is ****ing wanted)

turn that hate into love for Kid IcarusView attachment 175797
I want to love KI:U, I really do. I love the NES and Gameboy KIs. KI:U was just too familiar feeling to S&P, and I like those games so much more.

I'm fully aware I didn't give KI:U a fair shot, but I don't think I can separate it from my feelings of disappointment that S&P2 didn't lead to more.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Since Piranha Plant has been revealed as a Fight in Smash Bros., which Fire Emblem Generic Unit would you have? (Y'know, for fun)

Personally I want Troubador (Based on the Fates design) and give him a more darker tone in his design (Like Simon) since Fire Emblem's settings are based on war, and the playable units themselves are a lot more colorful when compared to the more down to earth designs of the enemy units. To me, I think a small pink boy in a small horse that kicks ass with tomes and staffs like Freeze, debuffs, and minor healing would be great and unique for Smash.

StormC

Smash Hero
It was not confirmed that DLC was locked in 2015. Sakurai was only talking about Rex not being able to make the base game.

Given the Rex costume and Spring-Man AT though, it's safe to bet he's probably not going to add these types of "promo" characters this time around.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hey! Don't say that word! We don't ever say the N word around here.

i wouldn't mind that. I actually hope we primarily get 3rd party characters, but if they're all 1st Party I think I could live with that.

:ultlink: beating up on character with Mipha's or BotW Zelda's Spirit
:ultyounglink: beating up on a character with the Hero's Shade Spirit, himself in the future who seems to have been murdered. Or beat up a Saria Spirit.
:ultmarth: beating up on a female character with his Wife and Sister's spirits
:ultsheik: beating up on a young Zelda spirit or regular OoT Zelda spirit

:ultcloud:beating up on an Aerith Spirit.
:ultyoshi: beating up Poochy's sprit.
:ultdk:beating up Cranky, Tiny, Lanky, Chunky and even Wrinkly spirits.
:ultdiddy: beating up a Dixie spirit.
:ultwario: beating up spirits of Mona, Jimmy T., Ashley and the rest of his workers (he's greedy, yes, but he doesn't usually physically abuse them).

Yeah, it's official, Galeem is a complete monster.

"Tohou being in Smash has lower odds than it's fans having girlfriends"
Holy Jeebuz, man. Give the heaters a rest, that's one shot too many!
I thought some of the comments in here were mean, but this is downright killing people's dignity.

Bandana Dee: Absent from Dedede's victory pose as well as not sighted as a spirit
Tibby: Not spotted as a spirit as well as Rhythm Heaven's Japan Popularity
Elma: Only one Xenoblade X spirit found.

I've had enough of the "literal who" arguments. I'm tired of characters being dismissed because another is more popular and would sell better. If it's true that Sakurai planned to have the DLC characters in the base game, then clearly his goal isn't to sell more. And seeing Smash 4 with Lucas and Roy, I think Sakurai cares more about uniqueness and what he thinks would be good for Smash more than who's more popular.

DLC speculation here is going to be ****ing boring and not fun if people are going to be dismissed left and right because of popularity and how much they'd sell.
Box Theory 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Fortunately though we honestly don't have any 100% concrete idea of who's next, since Verg relies on hearsay at the moment, compared to his correct leaks from before. It's a bit of a game of telephone overall (especially when the topic of Minecraft is brought up).

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Let's do something dumb...
Pick 1 Newcomer from each Smash game that best represents that game as a whole. (Not your mains or anything... Just the one with the most ties to that game)

Smash 64 :falcon64:
Melee :falcomelee:
Brawl :sonic:
Smash 4 :4villager:
Ultimate :ultkrool:

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Would it be safe to say that Castlevania and Metroid fans were the bigggest “winners” this cycle?

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
I think you may be overselling him a bit. If Sakurai was going to intentionally hold back a first party character because they're popular enough to sell as dlc it would have been Ridley or K. Rool.
I don't think Ridley and K. Rool are as iconic as Waddle Dees are.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"Banjo-Kazooie isn't even THAT popular on a global scale. He's notable, but he's not that iconic on the levels of Simon and Sonic"

Japan:
Screenshot (1118).png

StormC

Smash Hero
Why use the generic mook

When you can use the main protagonist?

It's like if Megaman were represented by a Metataur instead of Megaman. It's just wrong.
I agree, but DQ also doesn't really have a single character as recognizable as Slime, at least globally. Erdrick would probably be more iconic to Japanese gamers, but he's more of a literal who globally. I'd assume they would go with Erdrick, but I can't rule out Slime these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom