• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Potato_

Smash Lord
So uh

This may have been discussed already but Chrom is apparently both playable AND in Robin’s FS now. Do you guys think most FS characters that are detailed enough and aren’t ATs have a chance? Like Bass, Fiora etc?

Probably not Dunban or Tom Nook though...
You want my honest opinion?

I don't think Sakurai cares about the whole "2 versions of the character appearing on stage at the same time" thing nearly as much as we do. Or else Wool Yoshi wouldn't exist. Or the Chrom situation you mentioned.

Also I think it makes AT upgrades a helluva lot more likely but that might be my bias talking. Not for this DLC window but maybe in the future.

D

Deleted member

I wonder if Tabuu will appear in some form.

At worst, maybe as a Spirit.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Honestly, I couldn't give less of a **** about the Marvel side of MvC.
Now that Marvel's owned by Disney and they have to deal with all that corporate bull**** like in MvCI, I wish Capcom would just split off and make their own Capcom all-stars fighting game.

When Capcom vs. Capcom,
Even before Disney got their hands on the roster, I've always been a DC guy anyway. Marvel's not really my thing.

My usual teams in MvC2 were Jill/Ken/Cammy and Jill/Sakura/Captain America. My usual teams in MvC3 were Chris/Spencer/Wesker and Chris/Spencer/X-23. My team in MvCi was Chris/Spencer.

I'd love a Capcom vs. Capcom. Or Nintendo vs. Capcom. Or Sega vs. Capcom. Or ****ing literally anything vs. Capcom. The Marvel part has always been optional for me.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I just want them to make MVC 4 good. Improve the visuals, improve the gameplay, add the freaking X-men!
Hopefully Marvel itself isn't such a grinch with stuff in the game that time around if this is true. A lot of issues seem to stem back to them for Infinite it seems. Adding a few XMen and updating the visuals should fix the most glaring issues the game had anyway.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
WAIT WHAT
SOURCE, GIVE ME THE SOURCE
I just closed the tweet but some guy on Twitter is playing Ultimate right now and the track "Battle Theme 5" showed up, which is the same track as Twilight of the Gods in Gaiden.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So uh

This may have been discussed already but Chrom is apparently both playable AND in Robin’s FS now. Do you guys think most FS characters that are detailed enough and aren’t ATs have a chance? Like Bass, Fiora etc?

Probably not Dunban or Tom Nook though...
To me, not so much, depending on the case. Since every Mega Man or equivalent thereof except the Classic one is not viable until further notice, I was thinking Tron Bonne could be added as the next Mega Man addition at some point in Smash's future.

Mostly because it would be hilarious for her to FINALLY fight against a Mega Man in a crossover fighting game, only to not be the one she actually wants.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Alright, thoughts on this DLC roster? Doomguy and Crash I'm still unsure of. It really depends when the DLC characters were chosen.

-Sora
-Tibby
-Bandana Dee
-Crash
-Doomguy

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime

I don't think Sakurai cares about the whole "2 versions of the character appearing on stage at the same time" thing nearly as much as we do. Or else Wool Yoshi wouldn't exist. Or the Chrom situation you mentioned.

Also I think it makes AT upgrades a helluva lot more likely but that might be my bias talking. Not for this DLC window but maybe in the future.
But Samus no longer has a Dark Samus alt color, which was the primary piece of evidence that she might be playable, so who knows. It's inconsistent.

D

Deleted member

It's definitely not possible that it's two separate groups of people making those arguments.
Holy **** yes.
I'm so sick of this strawman where a guy posts two quotes from two different people and complains about hypocrisy.

Like, no ****, in a community of multiple millions of people, you're going to have a lot of people with different opinions.
There are definitely people here making the same argument, I was just pointing out what I was seeing.
I am aware that different people have different opinions, I am not a child.
True, but not every DLC character has to be worldwide appeal. If they think the DLC character will sell well, then they just might put that character in, even if it sells well in just one country. And who knows? The upcoming Granblue Fantasy game may come out in the West before Katalina is released as DLC, which would increase her chances of the DLC being bought by those of us in the west. This is assuming that she's actually going to be DLC. And I know you didn't say she was niche in Japan. I was simply saying that she wasn't niche in Japan.
Fair enough, honestly. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo did it, just slightly confused.
Banjo being a niche character still hurts deep in my soul

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think all the leaks are wrong and that Sakurai is just gonna troll everyone with:

*Random Fire Emblem Character
*Random Pokemon
*Waluigis Shoe
*Geno's wooden arm
*Hitachi Power Tool

Plus a bonus patch that removes Shiek and all Links except Adult Link.

Mark my words
Depending on who the first two are I'd honestly be a-okay with this.

Especially if, down the line, more pieces of Waluigi are added so we can Exodia him onto the roster.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I still kinda think ATs are hard deconfirms personally, as well as bosses and CERTAIN stage cameos. I think if Captain Toad becomes playable his New Donk City model can be swapped for Toadette or something. Viridi may be a bit harder...

Mii costumes are debatable IMO, as are spirits. At the very least a Spirit workaround could be the character has a different design than their spirit form

But hey what do I know lol

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
My friend would probably love to see a Pokémon boss like Rayquaza, or even a new one.

Do you think that a Pokémon boss is likely?
I think its extremely likely, as I've always said Pokemon is a goldmine for fun and ivonic character designs. Rayquaza has a good chance of coming back from Brawl but with his new Mega form, but there's plenty of other legendary pokemon they could use as well.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Nah, if it's just characters that have appeared on Nintendo systems as a restriction, I wouldn't want that.

I want to see Dante, Vergil, Nero, Trish, and Lady all in and exactly zero of them have had an actual main appearance on a Nintendo console.
I was actually thinking that Project X Zone would be something that would work for Dante, Vergil and Lady at least, as even being a crossover game, the characters have still been on a Nintendo system, so they would still qualify.

Plus, there is always the possibility that Devil May Cry games could get ported to the Switch. I'm not sure about DMC5 itself, but I can't see why the others couldn't be. We are getting three Resident Evil ports next year (4, Remake and 0), and Capcom has been supporting the Switch quite a bit.

Heck, a hypothetical Nintendo vs. Capcom could finally give us our Dante vs. Bayonetta match-up, since Nintendo publishes the Bayonetta games now.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Just thinking, given that the name of the Gaiden track references its name in Gaiden and not "Twilight of the Gods" from SoV, it's probably a remix of the NES version ala FE Warriors, rather than of the SoV remix.

But I don't care because the original version is too good for the NES.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
there is always the possibility that Devil May Cry games could get ported to the Switch
I wish, but no, we don't have a precedence for this.
Heck, a hypothetical Nintendo vs. Capcom could finally give us our Dante vs. Bayonetta match-up, since Nintendo publishes the Bayonetta games now.
Depends on if Sega's OK with that since it's still Sega's IP.

D

Deleted member

OK WHAT THE **** INCINEROAR WHY IS DARKEST LARIAT A FRAME 5 MOVE WITH SOME GOOD *** RANGE THAT DOES 20% ON SWEETSPOT WITH INVUL FRAMES
It's like one of those Daniel and Cooler Daniel memes, but Shine is Daniel and Lariat is Cooler Daniel.
Also lariats have been bull**** in every fighting game they appear in, I am not surprised.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Can we get Capcom vs Nintendo?

Capcom has too many good IPs that I'll be dead by the time they all get into Smash.
Yes! We need this...
Speaking of which...
To me, not so much, depending on the case. Since every Mega Man or equivalent thereof except the Classic one is not viable until further notice, I was thinking Tron Bonne could be added as the next Mega Man addition at some point in Smash's future.

Mostly because it would be hilarious for her to FINALLY fight against a Mega Man in a crossover fighting game, only to not be the one she actually wants.
I can see Tron Bonne be one of 3 Mega Man representatives for Nintendo vs Capcom, the other two being Classic Mega Man and Zero, that way, you represent the 3 main Mega Man series.
Mega Man representing the Classic Mega Man series
Zero representing the Mega Man X series
and Tron Bonne representing the Mega Man Legend series

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
OK WHAT THE **** INCINEROAR WHY IS DARKEST LARIAT A FRAME 5 MOVE WITH SOME GOOD *** RANGE THAT DOES 20% ON SWEETSPOT WITH INVUL FRAMES
I'm guessing Incineroar's gonna be in the little mac position where is advantage state is amazing, but once you put him in a bad spot, he folds like paper.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
But Samus no longer has a Dark Samus alt color, which was the primary piece of evidence that she might be playable, so who knows. It's inconsistent.
Yeah. It's not so much "two versions of this character are here at the same time and that's wrong", because otherwise we couldn't pick the same character as each other.

It's "will they get confused about who's who during the fight". Chrom being in Robin's FS doesn't matter because it's a separate cutscene interrupting the fight. Nobody's aiming for Chrom during that segment then getting confused.

Now if Samus had her Smash 4 Dark Samus alt and was playing against a Dark Samus in her base color, that could be a problem. I'd argue the same problem exists with ATs considering they now count for KOs and, on the whole, have a larger presence and more sophisticated AI.

7982Brick

Smash Cadet
Am I the only on here that wouldn’t mind having Katalina in Smash? I’ve never played the game but there’s something about her that makes me want her in smash. I think it might be her design.

Roberk

Smash Champion
WAIT WHAT
SOURCE, GIVE ME THE SOURCE
Look back a few pages, it was only some guy on Twitter saying that "Gaiden Battle Theme Map 5" was in with no video (since there was no sound.) Map 5 is the original Twilight of the Gods from Gaiden so it's either a remix or just listed differently in Japan if it's the SOV version.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Alright, thoughts on this DLC roster? Doomguy and Crash I'm still unsure of. It really depends when the DLC characters were chosen.

-Sora
-Tibby
-Bandana Dee
-Crash
-Doomguy
Crash would more likely be Season 2, if he's even in at all.

This is what I would want to see (though not what I want period)
Season 1: Isaac, Shadow, Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, Geno​
Season 2: Rex & Pyra, Banjo, Crash, Steve, Sora​
Season 3 (if it goes that far): Waluigi, Lyn, Agumon, two others

How's this for a DLC roster? (Ignore the fact that some are ATs for a minute)

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Can we get Capcom vs Nintendo?

Capcom has too many good IPs that I'll be dead by the time they all get into Smash.
Nah, I want Morrigan and whatnot in it.

There is a reason why Marvel vs Capcom used to work so well. They have both characters with a lot of mature elements without going full Mortal Combat, mixed with fun stuff.

theromfather

Smash Apprentice
Depending on who the first two are I'd honestly be a-okay with this.

Especially if, down the line, more pieces of Waluigi are added so we can Exodia him onto the roster.
Shoe of the Forbidden Waluigi would surely be saved for last as a surprise pirahna plant-esque reveal. Geno's arm will be revealed at the VGA's to build hype for the rest of the DLC, he however will not be Exodia'd into existence. Sources say his arm may even just be an item. But yes my friend we got an awesome DLC pack coming our way.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Am I the only on here that wouldn’t mind having Katalina in Smash? I’ve never played the game but there’s something about her that makes me want her in smash. I think it might be her design.
Nah, me too, she's cool. It's rare to see women with full armor in JRPGs (or any RPGs, for that matter).

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

It's got Lyn, 10/10
No SMT tho, so 0/10
overall it balances out to a solid 11/10

Math is hard.

D

Deleted member

Hopefully Marvel itself isn't such a grinch with stuff in the game that time around if this is true. A lot of issues seem to stem back to them for Infinite it seems. Adding a few XMen and updating the visuals should fix the most glaring issues the game had anyway.
And add Ametarasu, Asura, Gene, Leon, and Nero.

Last edited by a moderator:

doomedtacox

Smash Ace

-Sora
-Tibby
-Bandana Dee
-Crash
-Doomguy
I like it but I think you're realistically missing a microsoft rep, replace tibby with Steve/Banjo.

7982Brick

Smash Cadet

If we get more than one fighters pass. I don’t think Sakurai might be up to make another 5 characters unless they were echo fighters.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Hey, you're not alone...
She's got a great design, and we need more ice users besides just the Ice Climbers

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
There are definitely people here making the same argument, I was just pointing out what I was seeing.
I am aware that different people have different opinions, I am not a child.

Fair enough, honestly. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo did it, just slightly confused.
Banjo being a niche character still hurts deep in my soul
I don't think Banjo is niche though, he's just not relevant anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom