• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Okay, but when has a DLC character leaked that wasn't by Nintendo themselves? Base roster makes sense to find out about info, but I highly doubt Vergeben is gonna find anything about DLC.
I see you forgot he doubled down Minecraft content

There was no Minecraft content shown so... probably one of the packs

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
But you don't understand, Sakurai would be faithful to the character and can make the impossible happen, so Sora is the most likely Square character for DLC.:4diddy:
I would love to see Sora in the game too, but people are hugely underestimating how much of a monumental task working with Disney would be. Disney only lets Nomura have as much free reign with Kingdom Hearts as he does because he helped create the franchise.
You can’t just discount arguments because “Sakurai can do whatever”, especially not as huge as those legal issues. As great as Sakurai is, he’s not some magician that can do whatever he wants. He wasn’t able to get more than twin FF songs in Ultimate, it’s foolish to say Sakurai can just get through Disney because he’s Sakurai.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Is anyone else waiting for all DLC to be released before they decide on buying a season pass or not? Last time I feel like I only really got my money's worth out of Cloud and Bayonetta (with Mewtwo as the freebie). The other characters I played as maybe half a dozen times and then put on a shelf.

Like, if they announced Banjo-Kazooie or something, I'd probably go all in and get the season pass, but otherwise, I'll wait. The current rumors have me anxious about what DLC will look like. Like, I'm not personally a KH fan (although my girlfriend is going to get me to play the series soon, heh), but Sora would be a cool addition and I'd be happy to buy him. A Granblue character? Eh...
I'm going to buy the DLC characters no matter what, because I want the full experience and everything this game has to offer. Even if it's characters I don't like, I'll still buy them all, because I may end up liking the stages, even if I don't like the characters

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Okay, but when has a DLC character leaked that wasn't by Nintendo themselves? Base roster makes sense to find out about info, but I highly doubt Vergeben is gonna find anything about DLC.
Not to mention nobody is forced to "gamble" on the Pass.

Just wait and see before you purchase it. Sakurai even said to only get it if you trust the content he'll deliver. Buying it now is only for people who 100% trust Sakurai no matter what and just don't care about who are the choices to begin with.

I'm on the fence because of Piranha Plant. I looove the execution of its move set, but it's not something I want a repeat of five more times. Smash is character driven by nature and I want to gauge each selection.

D

Deleted member

I'm going to buy the DLC characters no matter what, because I want the full experience and everything this game has to offer. Even if it's characters I don't like, I'll still buy them all, because I may end up liking the stages, even if I don't like the characters
Same.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
So... Make list of characters, of which you played their debut game before they got confirmed for Smash...

:ultgreninja::ultpacman::ultmiifighters::ultdarkpit::ultbowserjr::ultridley::ultkrool::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:
(okay, so technically, Ridley and K. Rool shouldn't count, because I never got far enough to actually encounter them..)
Man... this is a short list... this is what happens when you've only been a Nintendo fan for like 12 years
Before their Smash inclusions huh? I'll give this a go with each game to boot; I'm going to stick with the Ultimate Stock Icons for simplicity's sake, and in number order:

64: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff:

Melee: :ultpeach::ultbowser::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultdoc::ultpichu::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo:

Brawl: :ultzss::ultike::ultpokemontrainer::ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultlucario::ulttoonlink:

4: :ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultrosalina::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultmiifighters::ultpacman::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultcloud:

Ultimate: :ultdarksamus::ultdaisy::ultchrom::ultken::ultinkling::ultridley::ultkrool::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:

For a lot of the other characters, I either played their debut games after their inclusion into Smash, or did not have access to them, but played other games in the series afterwards.

Also, I've noticed I can never see the stock icons for Ken, Incineroar and Piranha Plant, and it bugs me to no end

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
If i was doing the packs i would make this:

(1st batch)
-Kingdom Hearts pack
-Minecraft pack
-Tekken pack
-Xenoblade X pack
-Kathina pack

(2nd batch)
-Banjo pack
-Crash pack
-Ninja Gaiden pack
-Spyro pack
-2nd pack for Koei Tecmo
I really hope your packs comes true!

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
You can’t just discount arguments because “Sakurai can do whatever”, especially not as huge as those legal issues. As great as Sakurai is, he’s not some magician that can do whatever he wants. He wasn’t able to get more than twin FF songs in Ultimate, it’s foolish to say Sakurai can just get through Disney because he’s Sakurai.
I think he was joking about the first part

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I'm probably going to get a whole lot of flack for this but as someone who completely missed the Sm4sh speculation period the first time I saw Sceptile show up in one of those "Possible Ultimate fighters" YouTube videos I thought it was a joke pick. Then I joined here, and I still don't get it.
Sceptile was relevant at the time due to OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire being announced. People were hellbent on a grass starter to complete their made-up trifecta despite the fact Greninja and Charizard were selected on their own merits and not by their typing.

D

Deleted member

Not to mention nobody is forced to "gamble" on the Pass.

Just wait and see before you purchase it. Sakurai even said to only get it if you trust the content he'll deliver. Buying it now is only for people who 100% trust Sakurai no matter what and just don't care about who are the choices to begin with.

I'm on the fence because of Piranha Plant. I looove the execution of its move set, but it's not something I want a repeat of five more times. Smash is character driven by nature and I want to gauge each selection.
Exactly. I bought the digital version of Smash Ultimate and decided hey, Piranha Plant is free. Doesn't hurt! But it does make me a tiny bit weary of how DLC might be. And I don't wanna spend money on something I don't know what I'm getting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
No idea on that I'd just be assuming **** if I gave you a definitive yes or no answer on that. Also I hate bringing up ballot talk since literally no one actually knows any of the real results for the ballot.
I meant the character polls that were organised in Japan during the Melee and Brawl days.

No worries though, it's more of a question aimed towards those who have more knowledge than me on the subject.

Sora, Steve, Katalina, Bethesda character, Heihachi. Those are your new characters imo
But what if :ultincineroar: is the Heihachi equivalent? I don't know if Ishizuka had time to do two characters in Smash before passing away.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Think you missed the second part of my post. I'm on the side of "Sakurai can do whatever" is not a good argument for him being able to get a character from the largest media empire on the planet.

D

Deleted member

Sora, Steve, Katalina, Bethesda character, Heihachi. Those are your new characters imo
Sounds decent enough.

If it is ends up like this, there will be good chances of the second pack including Banjo, a second Bethesda rep and maybe Crash.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Even if I dislike the fighters included in the Fighter Pass, I'll still enjoy the extra stages, songs, and stuff to unlock in Classic and WoL.

Easy buy.

StormC

Smash Hero
To reframe the question: what’s the one character they could announce as DLC that would make you go “I’m all in, buying the season pass, thank you Sakurai?”

Mine doesn’t bear repeating.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
As much as I love Terry, a Metal Slug rep for SNK would be so cool, and considering that Metal Slug's anniversary collection was a big Wii release and SNK is super supporting the Switch right now, it'd make sense. Marco or Fio for Smash?!

I know we have no way of predicting DLC, but as I've said before I feel like we are absolutely getting a Bamco rep. It really could be Lloyd or Heihachi, and with Mii costumes not deconfirming fighters it means that even if they bring either back they both have a chance. I'd argue Lloyd has more of a Nintendo connection, but Tekken Tag Tournament 2 being on Wii U WAS a big get at the time, and with Heihachi's voice actor passing and Heihachi himself seemingly being retired from Tekken this could be a wonderful way to honor an iconic character...

It's all very interesting.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Even if I dislike the fighters included in the Fighter Pass, I'll still enjoy the extra stages, songs, and stuff to unlock in Classic and WoL.

Easy buy.
Same.
People just need to realize that franchises don’t have to be dead or lost forever just for not being in Smash.

Crash, Spyro, Medievil and Battletoads are proof of that.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'd be very surprised if we only get 3rd party characters as DLC, I imagine the two that haven't leaked will be Nintendo ones.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To reframe the question: what’s the one character they could announce as DLC that would make you go “I’m all in, buying the season pass, thank you Sakurai?”

The man that is Ray.

No, not that one, I mean the one that's not in the game.

Also, any Sonic character that hasn't been ATed (thanks for taking one for the team, Knuckles and Shadow!).

If not those, maybe a completely unexpected character I never knew I wanted.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

Realistically, mine would be Katalina. But my dream pick would be Homura from Senran Kagura. Either that or Amy Rose... or Cream the Rabbit. Yeah, probably Cream the Rabbit

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sora, Crash, Steve, Banjo, a Tekken rep like Heidachi or a Dragon Quest one.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Ryu Hayabusa. That's all I need.

osby

Smash Obsessed

That's a weird question, one fighter doesn't tell anything about the rest, but: Sora and Joker. If one of them finds their way to Smash, I'll buy every other DLC just out of gratitude. Though I'll probably get them all anyway, unless they make Crash or something playable.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192

Long shot as he is, Crono from Chrono Trigger. The game that made me an RPG fan for life, if he made it in I wouldn't hesitate for a second. He would indeed be my number one pick.

I'll probably still be purchasing the Fighters Pass either way though, as I bought all the characters and stages during Smash 4's DLC Cycle, and I did enjoy all of what they had to offer.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Easy buy.
Does everyone believe that DLC will be impact Spirits and WoL? I mean, I know the actual Spirits may be new, but not the story mode.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Im so adding Becky Lynch and the IIconics as Mii fighters.. Hopefully they have better outfits for female Miis this time, like at least have sporty Mario Tennis skirts.
Or just put Becky in Smash
20 bucks Duck Hunt's is the same, while the only difference with Greninja is that he turns into Ash-Greninja before using Maximum Greninja
They would be fools to mess with the dog and Duck FS move
I checked the tournament and she seems plenty strong. Strangely enough, no one played Peach, I hope that it's just that Daisy is new and fresh and not that Daisy is just a better Peach
Daisy is better (she actually loves her man)
As a longtime Peach main, I hope that neither one is better than the other personally. I just want to be able to use either one without feeling like I'm gimping myself by not using the other.
Like Pit and Dark Pit
So... Make list of characters, of which you played their debut game before they got confirmed for Smash... (Extra points if the Pokemon were actually on your team during the play through...)

:ultgreninja::ultpacman::ultmiifighters::ultdarkpit::ultbowserjr::ultridley::ultkrool::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:
(okay, so technically, Ridley and K. Rool shouldn't count, because I never got far enough to actually encounter them... That being said though, Froakie and Litten were my starters in XY and SM respectively)
Man... this is a short list... this is what happens when you've only been a Nintendo fan for like 12 years
:ultbayonetta::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultlink:(BOTW version specifically):ultpacman::ultpiranha::ultridley::ultrosalina::ultryu::ultken::ultwario::ultwiifittrainer:

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

Well, I think that's an obvious one for me as well...

Also, I've noticed I can never see the stock icons for Ken, Incineroar and Piranha Plant, and it bugs me to no end
Try a hard refresh to clear the cache. Most browsers are Ctrl+F5

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I've been thinking about doing it already because they added Ridley, just as a way to show some faith in Sakurai and appreciation for the development team. That, and with how amazing this game seems to be, I'd like to have the complete experience, I'm past the point of being bitter about any additions.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Lara Croft, Steve, Katalina, Lloyd Irving and... Edelgard, maybe?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There's a reddit thread with all the changes someone has found so far in the game.

So not only does Luigi's tether not tether, it also has landing lag? :bobomb: Man it's like they forgot his entire year and just put him in the dumps.
On the other hand, Wario is better than ever.

Does everyone believe that DLC will be impact Spirits and WoL? I mean, I know the actual Spirits may be new, but not the story mode.
Probably not, but then again Brawl never had DLC for Subspace Emissary.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I wouldn’t think so. I don’t see them making new stuff in a mode everyone will have already completed.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
It would be since he is the poster boy of the company, at least alongside Zhao Yun. If Koei Tecmo did get a representative they would definitely push for him to be their rep. If he did get in it would open the door for Linkle so thats a possibility.

in my little headcannon An Alchemist from the Atelier series is the more likely Koei Temco representative....
I'm seeing myself out :D

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Well, I think that's an obvious one for me as well...

Try a hard refresh to clear the cache. Most browsers are Ctrl+F5
Thank you, that did the trick! I really need to make a note of this for future reference. :laugh:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Until the next Smash Bros game in 2025?
I did not even plan to come back for this one. Ultimate getting announced so soon after the end of Smash 4's DLC (only two years later) was a big factor. I basically left speculation after Roy's return for Smash 4 in June 2015. I did not return to speculation in April 2018, so that was a nearly three year absence. By comparison, I was heavily involved with speculation for Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4.

What even got me as involved as I was for this installment was Everyone is Here + Ridley getting announced (the latter being my single most wanted newcomer for nearly 20 years).

By 2025 I will be a few years away from 40, and I do not want to spend my free time arguing about video game characters with people who were not even in existence when Brawl was released. I have also had less and less free time over the years, and I cannot just simply spend a significant amount on speculation any more (I never even got around to doing that ultimate character analysis for this round like I did for Brawl and Smash 4).

I could also have family priorities by then too, but even if I do not, I probably will not have much time to do speculation, nor will I even have the interest for it (I have only one character interest left, and a lot of people do not seem to even be fighting for her like they should). Ultimate gave me 95% of what I wanted from a dream Smash Bros. character and stage wise. With a future installment, I would lose many of the characters I care about as well as nearly all of the stages. I am not going to want to pick up a Smash Bros. game just to gain Dixie Kong, but end up possibly or likely losing Roy, Lucas, Mr. Game & Watch, both Belmonts, and Jigglypuff.

I will see with the actual gameplay and other content, but in terms of characters and stages, Ultimate was the game I was dreaming of as a sequel to Brawl. Aside from Dixie Kong, basically every single Nintendo IP has some sort of notable content in Ultimate, whether as a playable character, an Assist Trophy, or a Mii costume. I am grateful that things even turned out the way they did because I considered getting every single veteran back to be fantasy, hardly anyone ever rallied behind Castlevania, and I thought Ridley had been ruled out of as a possibility due to Sakurai's statements on him back in November 2014.

Getting nearly all the past stages also means that I will be able to enjoy Ridley on the stages to the games I had wished he had been included as a newcomer for (Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4). It is absolutely incredible.

I do have some hope presently that Dixie Kong could become a DLC fighter for Ultimate and thus completing Smash Bros. for me, but it is absolutely contingent on whether having a spirit acts as a deconfirmation for DLC. On that question, I will know the answer when we know of all the spirits for Ultimate, and whether Bandanna Dee and Elma are also among their ranks (those two are presently the most likely Nintendo characters to be DLC for Ultimate). If they have spirits too, then Dixie Kong might actually have a chance to be DLC (even if its not particularly high). So I will have my answer within the next 40 days whether there even exists hope for Dixie Kong for Ultimate.

Otherwise, Ultimate gave me three things I was never expecting to happen with Smash 5:
1. Every single veteran returning.
2. Ridley being playable.
3. Castlevania being added to the series.

K. Rool and Dark Samus being added and getting are other things that made me happy to see with Ultimate and made it feel like a very worthy sequel to Smash 4 roster wise despite there only being a few newcomers.

For someone that started during very extensive speculation work as soon as Brawl was released, this game has an absolute dream roster.

However, at this point in my life, I do not have the passion or interest in roster speculation that I did up until four years ago. I got almost every thing I wanted, as well as the fact that I simply do not have the time as I once did to do speculation. Heck, of the gaming I do nowadays, nearly all of it is on portable consoles, and on home consoles, its on consoles where I can suspend my progress at any point (the NES and SNES Classic Editions).

A lot has changed between the various speculation periods over the years. Many speculators have come and gone. When Smash 4 was released four years ago, I thought things look truly grim for Ridley ever becoming playable and Roy ever returning. I felt the latter did have a shot at becoming DLC (especially considering we did not have any idea how many newcomers were going to be part of Smash 4 DLC), but I did not feel optimistic because of just how many popular Brawl veterans were cut (I felt Roy had to wait behind Lucas and Wolf before getting in, I felt if there was another veteran added in after Wolf it would likely be Roy because I felt the bad blood between Konami and Kojima is what kept Snake out of Smash 4 and Ice Climbers had technical issues keeping them out). My attitude was "between Smash 4 and Project M I will have everything I was hoping for out of Smash Bros." and I was content to just leave it there because I felt there was not much that could realistically happen for the next installment that could make me want to get the game.

By a profound stroke of luck, Roy actually ends up becoming DLC despite the conventional wisdom being that he had little chance of getting back in (due to Fire Emblem already having four slots, Lucina being a Marth clone, a character named Roy, aka Roy Koopa, already on the roster, and so many popular Brawl veterans being cut). With Bagan's Ridley mod, I felt I at least had the chance to be able to experience Ridley in Smash Bros. even if it was not an official title, and I was content with that. I gave little thought to the future of Smash Bros. after DLC for Smash 4 got wrapped up.

Just as with how Ultimate turning out the way it did, I absolutely cannot say for sure I will not ever return to the speculation and character support scene. I could very well just pop in years from now just to throw my two cents in and leave, or just post sporadically, However, I do have the feeling now that I just want to move on not just from Smash Bros., but gaming discussion and forum posting as well. I still like to enjoy games in my free time, but I am not eager to watch trailers and daydream about upcoming titles like I did ten years ago.

With only a single character (Dixie Kong) I really want to see as DLC (sure ther are a few others that would make me smile to see like Banjo-Kazooie), and having reasonable expectation on who the five DLC fighters are, I do not have much incentive to stick around even for the DLC period of Ultimate. Keep in mind, I only made two or three more posts after June 2015 when Roy and Ryu was released for the remainder of the Smash 4 DLC speculation period.

I really like how nearly everything got some sort of notable representation in Ultimate. The only things that seem to be lacking right now are Dixie Kong and Bandanna Dee (the latter of which I feel confident is going to be DLC), and Rhythm Heaven and Xenoblade X seeming like they got overlooked (again the latter will have a good chance to be DLC).

There is only a month left until Ultimate's release and we now know the entire roster. In the mean time, I will try to gather up my thoughts and analysis on the roster, give my speculation and analysis for the five DLC fighters we will probably get, and give my parting words to the speculation community. I hope that there will be a few that will look forward to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom