• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
So at this point, YouTube on Switch is pretty much confirmed, Spawn's seen a lot of stuff get confirmed on it, especially with it being on Nintendo's site.

Looks like we have a 10-0 streak now.
Your spawn obsession's getting kinda creepy.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

This alongside Magmoor Caverns/Lower Norfair tells me they're adding in overdue songs. Though Dark Samus' battle theme seems to be a new glaring omission
I knew that we were finally getting overdue songs when we got that Guile's Theme remix in the direct....

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Germany has banned the Swastika in general.

That being said, getting mad about "Cultural Appropriation" is silly if you aren't actually a member of that culture yourself.

Remember when that girl got flamed for wearing a Qipao to her prom, and there was a big hullabaloo about it? When actual Chinese people were asked about it, none of them seemed to care, the general response being "Oh, that's cute. It's a nice dress."
I remember that one guy that played that eastern flute instrument during the reveal of that SuckerPunch samurai game had people crying about that while not even knowing what the instrument was. Before finding out he is basically one of the best players of that instrument in the world and officially recognized as such by people from that culture at that.
The people decrying it had little to no actual knowledge of the culture they were supposedly defending. :/

But honestly this is probably the last Im saying on this. I came to argue about furry fox girls, potted plants, and mystical key wielding teenagers and that's what Im gonna do

D

Deleted member

Well, looks like I missed a stupid conversation about Game and Watch. Good.

Anyways, I am the only one who prefers Spirits to Trophies?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Doesn't that still deconfirm him though?
The only way he still has a chance is if Smash Tag icons for characters don't use their Smash Ultimate renders.
Spirits are essentially trophies. Trophies did not deconfirm characters in Smash 4. Trophies existed of Lucas and Mewtwo before they became playable. Plus all playable characters have multiple trophies usually any way. KKR is a spirit and playable character in ultimate as well.

If anything the Geno image/ icon is a good sign. There is very little square content in smash ultimate.. This at least shows Sakurai still has licensing or rights to Geno or Geno's likeness... Perhaps in a capacity that extends to being playable DLC. Who knows.

DLC characters project plan has been decided. However the renders and models for those characters have not been made yet. Which is why Geno doesnt use a 3D model on his supposed spirit.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
So at this point, YouTube on Switch is pretty much confirmed, Spawn's seen a lot of stuff get confirmed on it, especially with it being on Nintendo's site.

Looks like we have a 10-0 streak now.
Are we really counting Youtube for him considering everyone knew it was coming to Switch? It was always a matter of when, not if.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So its inevitable that the game will eventually be hacked and unused content will be discovered? What do you guys think we'll find?

It won't surprise me if Dixie and Isaac were planned but then cut.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Final comment on the whole fiasco: Seems pretty inflated. I wouldn't consider it racist, just politically incorrect for modern times, maybe even insensitive if you're that offended. Should it be removed? Depends on how Nintendo feels, but I'm pretty confident in a big nah in the mean time.

but that's just me though, i'll gladly be burned at the stake :shyguy:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Getting to see Viridi move and talk on the Reset Bomb Forest stage in full HD is absolutely amazing

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So its inevitable that the game will eventually be hacked and unused content will be discovered? What do you guys think we'll find?

Neither will I be surprised. I can't see many characters being cut, since we have all past veterans and the newcomer roster was not supposed to be that big. But seeing who was cut will be interesting.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

I'm waiting for the mods to come out, because this game obviously has a long shelf life ahead of it since it's early in the Switch's reign. Wii U didn't get full character mods, but I wonder if this one can.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253

Maybe unused code...some unused textures or even models. I recon that we'll get mods on the first day, like Super Mario Party.

Starbound

I mean, yes...

But i'ts kinda like those banned WWII Disney and Looney Tunes cartoons involving Nazis and racist Japanese caricatures...
Sure they're representing an interesting part of history...
But they really shouldn't be brought up nowadays
Yes because we can learn from them.

These are always fantastic talking points for that reason. As a teacher, I always make a point of showing one of these off in my WW2 classes because they show how much we've changed as a society when dealing with racism, how anti-racist efforts have and are making changes, and the work we still have left to do.

I live in Canada where my government killed 40,000 children of my cultural background in a government schooling system after taking them away from their parents at gunpoint over the spam of 150 years so racism is something I understand deeply. This is all part of the reconciliation process because we can't shove the past under a rug anymore and pretend it doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

These are always fantastic talking points for that reason. As a teacher, I always make a point of showing one of these off in my WW2 classes because they show how much we've changed as a society when dealing with racism, how anti-racist efforts have and are making changes, and the work we still have left to do.

I live in Canada where my government killed 40,000 children of my cultural background in a government schooling system after taking them away from their parents at gunpoint over the spam of 150 years so racism is something I understand deeply. This is all part of the reconciliation process because we can't shove the past under a rug anymore and pretend it doesn't exist.
Can we drop this please? I already apologized and everything...
thanks...

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I have a splendid idea, let's just not talk about that kind of stuff here... like ever.

Last edited:

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
Isaac were planned but then cut.
This would absolutely hurt my soul more than it is now. Knowing how close we were, only to have him ripped away. Also the fact that he would’ve supposedly been such low priority to be cut in the first place when he has so much potential :( I’m still hoping somehow, someway, Isaac will be the first AT and Playable character

D

Deleted member

Hey here's an idea! How about you just drop it, alright?

Last edited by a moderator:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Oh my god, that is terrible! Even though you weren't one of them, I am sorry to hear that!

But yeah, some things are too intense to let go, too horrible to just let die. In those cases, sweeping them under the rug like they never happened is not enough. Perhaps some bad things in history will haunt our minds for a long time, maybe forever. Sad, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
The people decrying it had little to no actual knowledge of the culture they were supposedly defending. :/
This about sums up all instances of "Cultural Appropriation".

And that's the end of that discussion.
...I thought this thread was for talking about Smash.
It is.

People are complaining about a feather on Game & Watch's head during his side smash.
There's good parts about the Trophies (they look nice and are fun to collect), but the Spirits serve an actual game play purpose.

I'd say Spirits are probably better.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace

I don't think we'll see any cut characters, as those seem to be DLC. We could maybe see some cut stages though, such as Mute City

Starbound

I'm waiting for the mods to come out, because this game obviously has a long shelf life ahead of it since it's early in the Switch's reign. Wii U didn't get full character mods, but I wonder if this one can.
If we do get mods for this, I really want a Flowey one for Piranha Plant.

If I can't get Sans this is the next best thing.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Okay, i'm dropping the whole Game and Watch Side Smash thing....
Sorry about that

So....
If there were a Smash 6, who would be the newcomers?
Feels like Shy Guy will have a good shot for the next Smash game; would finally give the Yoshi series a new rep too! ;)

Well, looks like I missed a stupid conversation about Game and Watch. Good.

I liked trophies back in Melee the most probably, but over the years, they became less special and more of a checklist, especially with Wii U's nearly 750 count including DLC trophies. Spirits at least have a gameplay purpose, which is something I was hoping we would see with Ultimate's collectibles, and from what I've seen so far, they look really great.

Mrplutoguy112

Smash Apprentice
once November 11th comes around what do u expect to see in this direct?
36654406-9F86-44D6-B09D-36F229852A3A.jpeg
-New Characters
-New Stages
-More info on world of Light
-Seeing all the Internet leaks come true
-Sakurai allowing a demo of the game to switch buyers to play for 10 mins or less
-More music tracks
-More Modes

Maybe all seven are litmited to possibilities for this next schedule event direct on Nov 11th.

According to the direct on Thursday there was an announcement of 5 more characters added to the roaster that will be shown off next direct if I’m not mistaken.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don't think we'll see any cut characters, as those seem to be DLC. We could maybe see some cut stages though, such as Mute City
Only one that I could see coming to mind is Chorus Kids tho. I'd imagine the reason for them being cut again is due to gaming mechanics on how they play.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I mean...EVERYONE in the Game and Watch world has big teeth.
Honestly, you can tell a lot of this controversy is contrived because it's the Red G&W sprite that keeps getting shared. That's just disingenuous and trying to make it look more intentionally offensive than it is.

Every single G&W sprite has a giant nose and a big smile. It's unfortunate that this means the sprite highly resembles Chief Wahoo and similar stereotypes, but it's also entirely coincidental.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom