• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
So like is Snake not getting an amiibo? Unless I’m dumb he was the only one not shown during the direct.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
So like is Snake not getting an amiibo? Unless I’m dumb he was the only one not shown during the direct.
They're probably still organising the rights for that with Konami. Remember Cloud and Bayo's amiibos didn't even release until last year.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
It's always slow at this hour of the day + most people were mainly interested in character speculation and now we know all of them

You can't have 5 pages in two minutes always.
It’s also before 8am on a Saturday in the US...and that’s on the east coast.

I like if things go slower here since then you can read everything. It’s not fun to hop on when you’ve only got a few minutes and see 20+ pages - that how we keep ending up with “I don’t know if this has been mentioned yet, but...”

I think the thing is also we’re all in a bit of a funk right now. The Grinch raised a lot of people’s expectations too high, and that crashed and burned (can we also say what a **** move that was just for the lulz? I had no stock in any of those characters, but even I thought that was totally uncool). Also, If we’ve got Vergy already telling us most of the DLC, people don’t want to speculate outside of “Vergeben’s been right so far so there’s all of the DLC.” We can bring any arguments we want, won’t change what he leaked.

And if they’ve already decided on DLC when they chose the roster, I can’t see them promoting Assists or Spirits. Now if there were a second DLC season, then there’s a chance, but it looks now like that’s a no.

Nintendo really does know how to build hype incredibly, but they also know how to shatter hype like nobody else. This roster is great (there is only one glaring omission for me, and one pipe dream), but I came out of that direct feeling disappointed. It really looks like there’ll be less for single-players than Smash4U. With news that the leaked DLCs are also not up my alley, I’m actually the least hyped now than I’ve been since June.

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Him and a few others weren't shown. Incineroar wasn't shown, some veterans haven't been shown (Bowser Jr. reprints when).

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
PT/Squirtle and Ivysaur, Incineroar, and the three Konami characters are still missing.

Give it some time. I can't see Konami being hard to negotiate with, so we'll probably see the rest later this year.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
How do you think the select screen will look once dlc is done?
My guess is like this -
Ultimate Roster.png

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Most of the top-tiers got nerfed quite a bit, Bayo and Diddy included. I know Diddy's recovery got a huge nerf now that Rocketbarrel Boost and Monkey Flip don't go nearly as far, so Diddy isn't automatically guaranteed to make it back to the stage anymore.

Even if they're still top-tier characters, I don't think they'll be anywhere near as OP as before. We'll see if it stays that way, but the changes have been generally fair so far.
Don't take it literally. What I mean is someone in equal power level to prepatch Diddy and Bayo. It could well be Diddy because balance means nothing to him because banana doesn't let you play the game.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Hey, I just realized that the extra mushroom icon in the music select screen can very much be Piranha's :D

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I assume so. They said they were making an amiibo for all of the characters.
I really think the square character will come from Dragon Quest. That game is huge. It’ll make so much money for them to have a character as dlc.
I really do hope that. :)

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero

:ultgreninja: finally has a shiny alt!!!! The black and orange one is his 4th one now.

Edit: :ultgreninja:'d. :troll:

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Setting my absolute frustration with Sakurai possibly choosing Katalina as a DLC character aside (even though that's literally what drift into toward the end of this post), I wonder why he'd be comfortable adding her but not Takamaru? His whole reasoning behind not wanting to add Takamaru is because he was afraid people in the West wouldn't recognize him, but now we're discussing Katalina, an even more obscure third-party character from a franchise practically nobody in the West has ever heard of before. I guess I'd be more willing to accept it if she was highly requested, but I don't even think Japan really wants her THAT bad.

I really hope this doesn't come to fruition, because this isn't the type of character who should be sold as DLC to people who have pre-purchased it.

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
*sees resetera*
*pretends to be shocked*
Sometimes I don't understand why people even take that into consideration. You know what I see when I watch the Fresh Prince of Bel Aire? Exactly the same thing that I see when I watch Frasier. A bunch of actors in funny situations. I don't look at Will Smith and Kelsey Grammer and think "black actor, white actor". I look at them and think "Will and Frasier." Same thing for video games, man. I know there's nobody of my race in video games, but it only ever comes to mind when some ***hole brings it up because they care for some reason.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Setting my absolute frustration with Sakurai possibly choosing Katalina as a DLC character aside, I wonder why he'd be comfortable adding her but not Takamaru? His whole reasoning behind not wanting to add Takamaru is because he was afraid people in the West wouldn't recognize him, but now we're discussing Katalina, an even more obscure third-party character from a franchise practically nobody in the West has ever heard of before. I guess I'd be more willing to accept it if she was highly requested, but I don't even think Japan really wants her THAT bad.

I really hope this doesn't come to fruition, because this isn't the type of character who should be sold as DLC to people who have pre-purchased it.
Not that I'm a big supporter but Sakurai explicitly warned people to not purchase season pass if they don't potentially want to purchase content they aren't interested.

Iridium

Smash Hero
??? Looks like he has the same alts to me
But the red one was removed...

The second alt has a red tongue with black coloring, which is what his shiny has. The fourth one is what we had in Smash 4.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would have liked a SA-X skin for Dark Samus.

But the Mecha Ridley (Zero Mission) alt for Meta Ridley is cool already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Sometimes I don't understand why people even take that into consideration. You know what I see when I watch the Fresh Prince of Bel Aire? Exactly the same thing that I see when I watch Frasier. A bunch of actors in funny situations. I don't look at Will Smith and Kelsey Grammer and think "black actor, white actor". I look at them and think "Will and Frasier." Same thing for video games, man. I know there's nobody of my race in video games, but it only ever comes to mind when some ***hole brings it up because they care for some reason.
as a fellow black chick, I honestly couldnt bother caring if there arent many black in video games, especially smash, like, huh

Whe got monkeys, dragons, Crocs, and pokemon fighting humans, birds, wolves and dogs and they care that there is no black people pff

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
But the red one was removed...

The second alt has a red tongue with black coloring, which is what his shiny has. The fourth one is what we had in Smash 4.
It's still red, it just looks a bit darker
1541246621235.png

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Just a question, but did anybody else think Spring Man wouldn’t be a fighter?
My main reasoning for thinking this is because it would be hard to stay true to Arms and not make every single move Simon’s Up Ariel x2

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Not that I'm a big supporter but Sakurai explicitly warned people to not purchase season pass if they don't potentially want to purchase content they aren't interested.
And it's the person's own fault for pre-purchasing the DLC and ending up dissatisfied with the contents.

That being said, we're talking about a character that only one small part of the world would recognize. Why on earth would Sakurai think it's a good time to experiment with an obscure, not highly requested character when people are spending actual money on the content? That's just not fair at all to the Western audiences.

Honestly, he probably would've been better off saving Piranha Plant as one of the five DLC fighters instead of Katalina. It wasn't highly requested either, but at least it's iconic enough to be instantly recognized.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Isn't that his old Brawl victory pose?
I should probably look up and see if there is any new footage for Toon Link, if he got any new moves, colours etc.
It's pretty much Brawl one but cooler after its ten year absence. :b:
I'm glad, I really liked that one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom