• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Fire Emblem Heroes makes them too much money and now they're putting gacha in literally everything.

Next Smash is free to start and you unlock fighters using gacha you heard it here first
Oh boy I can't wait to have to shell out thousands of dollars to get a +10 merge on my 6-star Bayonetta in order to stay competitive.

Is it still considered cool and hip to make jokes about a sense of "pride and accomplishment"?

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Chrono Trigger is more than you think.
Sora and Cloud maybe have more public than Crono.
But Crono has alot more chances than Geno, any Dragon Quest character, and any other Final Fantasy character.
Nostalgia? Crono wins no problem.

You are underestimating Crono ALOT here my friend.
I sugest you do a little research about him.
I don't think Crono has a better chance than a DQ character or Sora. There's a reason why not many people on here are talking about Crono (of course I understand this forum does not make up much of the Smash fanbase), but it still says something about his chances

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Okay, calling it now: We're not going to get a second season of DLC, however we ARE going to get a second Smash ballot.

Untouch

Smash Master
If our concern is just that Crono isn't popular enough, just convince one of the leakers to name-drop him and I can promise you he'll be Top 5 choice within a week. ;)
I've been pretty consistently amazed at the power of the bandwagon effect this cycle.
I'd love to see Crono.
Unfortunately me and Square Enix don't see eye to eye in this situation.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
There was a problem fetching the tweet

So the creator of Shantae just tweeted this out. So it may be shes not set for the first 5 DLC, but maybe talks are still going on some of them? or this is meant to be for when season 2 happens? Hard to say, but it does point to being a spirit doesn't put one out of the running if they are doing this, as Sakurai would have said otherwise to them when he made her a spirit
Cmon Half Genie Waifu, You can get into Smash we believe in you!

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
Ooh, fun...

Dovahkiin: would be shown unleashing a fully charged FUS RO DAH and blowing away two beams in front of him. Winded, he tries to get his breath back and is hit from behind.

Tails: Takes off and flies away, but turns around to grab Pichu. The light hits Tails as he’s flying off, and Pichu ends up in free fall screaming until the light takes him before he hits the ground.

Me.

I’d much rather spend an hour per character having legit fights than taking everyone out with two hits. Honestly.

Sora using his keyblade to send some of the beams back at the weird core thing in the trailer as well as cutting some of the beams down before being overwhelmed by them.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Ok , lets make a game here!

Guys , HOW MANY OF YOU WANT CRONO IN SMASH?

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Seems a little odd to just assume that, given how Nintendo recently said they plan to focus big time on DLC, and pshing DLC for this game for over 2 years seems likely. I doubt they will stop DLC till when the switch is near its end, because that will just keep making money
But if the Switch is nearing it's end, which I don't think it is, they would need to start planning on working on the next Smash game for the next system in order to release it a year or so after the next system comes out. Also, I feel like they would've announced more than five DLCs if they were planning on doing more than five

kylexv

Smash Master
This is the only season of Smash DLC for Ultimate, and Steve will be one of the characters.

If I am wrong, I will drink an entire glass of water.

Atlas2398

Smash Cadet
The direct states:

"Fighters pass content is available as it is released. All sets will be released through the end of february 2020."

this doesn't deconfirm more, so hopefully if (when) they see good dlc results, we get a second pass.

Also, the new pokemon game comes out next year and they haven't started full development yet. New starter hype?

D

Deleted member

I know very well Crono has minimal chances of ever making it into Smash but to say him and CT are not popular is Smash bubnle effect at its best
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/features/cbx_bracket
Just look at the finals bracket and you'll see Crono is literally the only one of those 8 not in Smash.
Inb4 "Oh but that's just GameFaqs"

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Okay...I think Matt may have unintentionally confirmed we're getting more than 5.
I mean why the hell would he even be campaigning for her?
Lol because creators do that sometimes.

I mean Phil Spencer did the same thing with Banjo and after the direct, Kamiya reblogged tweets asking for Viewtiful Joe and Wonderful 101 to be DLC...

Unless if Joe and Wonder Red are also DLC then this means nothing.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I actually want another ballot. I'll vote for Ashley ten times every ten minutes.
I won't repeat my past mistakes.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I actually want another ballot. I'll vote for Ashley ten times every ten minutes.
I won't repeat my past mistakes.
I want a Smash contest, too.
I feel ballots get botted to hell inevitably, so having a judging based contest that judges on the quality of ideas presented would be amazing.

Also, it'd give purpose to those MakeYourMoves guys.

zferolie

Smash Hero
But if the Switch is nearing it's end, which I don't think it is, they would need to start planning on working on the next Smash game for the next system in order to release it a year or so after the next system comes out. Also, I feel like they would've announced more than five DLCs if they were planning on doing more than five
I don't see the switch being replaced for a good 5 or 6 years, that gives at least 2-3 years of smash DLC before at the earliest Sakurai would start planning the next.

We didn't hear about SF5 season 2 till season 1 was done. Same for season 3. DBFz had 1 season, and lots of leaks are saying there will be a season 2.

Companies don't announce every season right away, they wait til one is done then talk about the next one.

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
Are we really still looking for clues in the background of Sakurai's set?

FFS.
It's especially funny because my first thought when seeing Sakurai was "why is everything so sparse this time?"

Then it occurred to me that this time everything in the office/set was carefully and meticulously planned and laid out to prevent another few months of "OMG LOOK AT THE CHAIRS!" or "IS THAT OUT OF FOCUS BOX ON THE SHELF FOR BANJO?!". I'm being serious.

Actually that brings me to my biggest issue with the direct, and that is it feels anti-hype by design. Sakurai was aware of how hyped up the hardcore fans had gotten due to poorly planned out reveals (hence the "we've revealed too many, so we're slowing down reveals" statement), so this last one was made as anticlimactic as possible, to bring expectations back down to Earth. Although it kinda backfired.

I've always been of 2 minds on Sakurai. He is my favorite video game developer, I admire him as a human being and I try to emulate him in at least some way; he's like a hero to me. Smash might be able to exist without him, but Smash as we know it would be totally different if someone else had created it for sure, and likely for the worst.

However I'm not a hero worshipper. And the thing that can irk me from time to time about Sakurai is that he seems to be a bit... tone deaf when it comes to letting people down. Like Spirits for example, he clearly sees each spirit as having great importance and a worthy inclusion to the crossover, but to myself and it seems others as well it's lip service really. An image that powers characters up is not the same as even an assist trophy. And what struck me was how much Sakurai was gushing over this mode, he seems to be truly proud of the work he and his team has done on it, but while clearly not speaking for everybody it seems like a pointless excursion to me. Then again, I'm negatively biased here because I've never really played Smash for the single player modes unless I absolutely have to.

Speaking of assist trophies I actually do love them, but the way that they get treated feels again tone deaf. Sakurai of all people should have realized that characters such as Shadow and Isaac are widely requested by the community. So when deconfirming characters like that the best thing to do is just be upfront about them and address it directly, just like he did with Bomberman, instead of unceremoniously just throwing them in the beginning of an assist trophy segment of the direct (or worse, at the tail end like Ashley or not addressed at all like Skull Kid was).

I was not a fan of the Direct. There were of course things I liked about it; always liked Ken more than Ryu, Incineroar looks like a beast (although I wonder if "too many anime wrestlers" will be the new "too many anime swordsmen") and Piranha Plant was a true WTF character, but at least I liked those. But I think the good stuff was discussed in August, and if the bulk of the 2 directs were switched I think hype could have been preserved. If I were in charge of marketing. August would have revealed Ken & Incineroar, discussed Spirits and hinted at the Adventure mode. Then Isabelle in a general direct and then November would show off stages, modes, remaining fighters, cinematic for Adventure mode and discuss DLC. Heck, that approach is pretty much what they took with the pre release stuff for Smash 4. Instead we got a direct with 20 minutes of padding, and a lot of just boring stuff. I actually checked the clock a couple times during the direct; haven't done that in a long time.

Game still looks great, but the general marketing outside of "everyone is here" has not been ideal. And the fact that the presentation of the final direct seems to have turned people off from the game unsettles me somewhat. Even the Nintendo NY live viewing reaction was somewhat more subdued than usual, and that tells me that the direct did a poor job of marketing the product.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
This is the only season of Smash DLC for Ultimate, and Steve will be one of the characters.

If I am wrong, I will drink an entire glass of water.
I wouldn't do that, you might not live :p

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I think all the DLC inclusions will be aimed at getting more people to buy Smash rather than catering to what Smashfans want. Like people said, things like Kingdom Hearts and Granblue and Minecraft are incredibly popular, people would buy a Switch just to play as them. Those companies would benefit from the marketing; all the people happy about their inclusion are just a side effect.

In other words, for die-hard Nintendo or Smash fans Pirahna Plant will end up being the best DLC newcomer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom