• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
So who is everyone expecting for DLC?

If Spirits don't disconfirm characters I think it will be.

1. Banjo & Kazooie
2. Geno
3. Bandana Waddle Dee
4. Sora
5. Crash Bandicoot (Yes, I actually think he has a legit chance to get in now)
Grounded Expectation
Rex
Dixie Kong
Bandana Waddle Dee
Square Enix character (specifically a Dragon Quest hero)
Monster Hunter

Total Fantasy
Rex
Blaziken
Miciah
8th Gen Pokemon
Dragonborn

The Reality
Rex or Elma
New Fire Emblem Three Houses rep
8th Gen Pokemon (final DLC of 2019)
Square Enix rep
Tekken character

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
To be fair him being cut from that cameo was also pretty old news as well, hadn't that been removed long before his Mii Fighter costume became a thing?
Not at all, the Remake was out in october 2017, that's why it's worrying

osby

Smash Obsessed
Grounded Expectation
Rex
Dixie Kong
Bandana Waddle Dee
Square Enix character (specifically a Dragon Quest hero)
Monster Hunter

Total Fantasy
Rex
Blaziken
Miciah
8th Gen Pokemon
Dragonborn

The Reality
Rex or Elma
New Fire Emblem Three Houses rep
8th Gen Pokemon (final DLC of 2019)
Square Enix rep
Tekken character
Unless you have a really good leak, you're mixing up predictions with reality.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I want to give my opinions on the newcomers since I pretty much hated every single newcomer from Smash Wii U/3DS.

:ultinkling: 8/10: I don't care about splatoon much, but they definitely have a fun moveset and they are a good part of Nintendo history. I wouldn't want them anyway other way. Perfect representation of their game and characters.

:ultdaisy: 6/10: I really do not like the fact she is a clone, but it's better than nothing...I also can't see her having many differences to Peach. Her versus the other echoes, she seems like a lack of work echo. Also a certain person made me really REALLY hate the character, much like how I hope I never see Waluigi again after his "fans" ruined him for me.

:ultridley: 10/10: I've been waiting for this boy for years now. What an amazing gift that we got. I love his violent moves and they really made Ridley feel more than just a mindless beast. He looks and feels violent but with control. His size was perfect too!

:ultsimon:/:ultrichter: 9/10: I never got into Castlevania until a few years ago. I wasn't sure how they would be able to put Simon in the game, but by gosh did they do a fantastic job. I cannot wait to try out both Richter and Simon.

:ultkrool: 10/10: He was my most wanted character for years...I remember when Brawl was coming out, The King was all I wanted. Smash 4 failed me, and I did not expect him for this game. But when he showed up, I screamed. So many years of waiting and I finally got my dream character.

:ultchrom: 7/10: I wanted him in Smash 4. It's Roy! What can I say? I like they tried to make him slightly different.

:ultdarksamus: 7/10: The little changes is what makes me excited. I am very excited to try her out. I absolutely LOVE how different her animations are.

:ultisabelle: 8/10: I normally could give a rats ass about Animal Crossing. I enjoy the game but I don't obsess over it much like a majority of the Internet. I was so sure she would be a massive echo of the Villager but, hey color me impressed, they did a decent job with making her much more different.

:ultken: 8/10: I like Ryu and Ken looks really fun to play as....even kind of being just a faster Ryu. Not much I can say but I love the fact they added him in.

:ultincinceroar:10/10: This is the shocking one for me. It's the character I never knew I wanted. Let me start by saying I absolutely HATE Pokémon after Diamond and Pearl. I think they game became something it shouldn't and they added in a ton of details that I could care less about. Designs absolutely suck IMO. But Holy CRAP do I love incineroar's design and especially what they did for him in this game. He doesn't even remind me of a Pokémon character. This is SO SO SO much better than The Grass Owl would of been.

:ultpiranha: 7/10 I have no clue what to even think about this guy. But It's free and it's fun. That to me is important. I welcome it with open arms.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
He’s a big fat crocodile with a tiny crown and fights Donkey Kong.

I think they got the right mix of goofy and menacing.
What I mean is like. Look at Sakurai. He puts a LOT of effort into characterization. See **** like Robin being slow being a translation of Robin being a nerd who doesn't work out a lot if at all. So now that I see more beyond "muh reference to game" and his random identity crisis being referenced with his backbreaker throw and the sumo taunt

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Not at all, the Remake was out in october 2017, that's why it's worrying
Interesting. I could have swore his cameo was removed far more earlier than that. Still if thing sweren't in somewhat of a good place for him he wouldn't be appearing anywhere at all and that's clearly not the case.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

Potato_

Smash Lord
Honestly I doubt we will get these super optimistic/dreamy characters for DLC. I for one would love to get more WTF characters.
It's the opposite for me. The more WTF characters you add the less the charm works. They become less of a WTF because you're expecting the weirdness to come.

Piranha Plant coming out of nowhere with no prior suggestions of us even having a weird character is what made it so good.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Has anyone seen Fountain of Dreams during the gameplay footage?

For those who has, it's easily one of the most beautiful stages in the whole game. They did an amazing job with the stage.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I don't think people understand the fact that a Rex, an ARMS rep, an FE Three Houses rep etc. aren't getting in as the first 5 DLC characters, since all of the characters (including DLC) were decided in late 2015.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
All this debate now about how hype/popular/relevant Geno is, when a week ago, 70% of people were convinced Mach Rider was going to be in the game.

Michelaar

Smash Cadet
It's the opposite for me. The more WTF characters you add the less the charm works. They become less of a WTF because you're expecting the weirdness to come.

Piranha Plant coming out of nowhere with no prior suggestions of us even having a weird character is what made it so good.
That's a very good point.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
All this debate now about how hype/popular/relevant Geno is, when a week ago, 70% of people were convinced Mach Rider was going to be in the game.
Because a convincing fake "leak" said he was.

Take away the Grinch leak and everyone only considered Mach Rider as a potential retro rep, which wasn't even seen as likely.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I don't think people understand the fact that a Rex, an ARMS rep, an FE Three Houses rep etc. aren't getting in as the first 5 DLC characters, since all of the characters (including DLC) were decided in late 2015.
Honestly. This is another reason my theory is these first 5 are legit just low priority things Sakurai wanted for base game but didn't have time to get to.

He probably saw in the midst of making this the demand for Rex and Arms content and threw bones to both of them.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
My expectations for DLC will be (and in order of release)

Slime from Dragons quest.
Waddle Dee from Kirby (his request in japan is over 9000)
Steve from Minecraft
Katalina from Granblue
Heihachi Mishima from Tekken

That is what I am thinking at the moment anyway.

Visually, it looks amazing. The gameplay looks...pretty good, but I'm not really a big fan or real time JRPGs. I prefer turn-based. But aside from that it looks really nice
It is my kind of game. I do love the turn based, but mainly am a Final Fantasy Tactics kind of player. It does look really pretty though. Like I said, put on switch, she has my vote.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Personally, I would've prefferred playable Shy Guy, but Piranha Plant is great so I can't really complain.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I wonder if Bayonetta still says her extremely long voice lines in her taunts now that they are super short.

The taunt would end and she would continue talking for like 2 seconds lol.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I highlighted and bolded the important text. Geno is popular in a specific subcategory of older characters. Not characters in general.
I know the wider audience would have no idea who he is; I had no idea, either, that is until Smash Bros. speculation and such, and I already like him while having yet to play his game.

Sakurai says he's popular, though, so he must've received a decent amount of Geno requests for him to bother mentioning that. I'm not saying Geno will definitely get in (Sora even makes it less-likely), but seeing some people bash Geno fans and saying "he's a literal who" when we already have some characters who would be "literal whos" in some areas just starts to feel bothersome.

Geno at the very least get's some sort-of representation so that more people will at least know his appearance.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, the first thing I thought upon seeing the Spring Man AT was "he's not too recent, they said". It's obvious that they debuted too late to make the cut. Not even the Labo stuff was spared.

Given these circumstances, :ultinkling: was lucky that Splatoon 2 got released by the time this game's production was underway.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
As shown in my signature, for the first Fighter Pass, I want Bandana Dee, Banjo, Rayman, Shantae, and... Idk, either Sora, Isaac, Crash, or Spyro I guess.

For Echo Fighters (which I hope they consider doing separately from main characters), I want Dixie, Medusa, Ninten, Zack, and Jeanne.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord

Steve from Minecraft
Katalina from Granblue

That is what I am thinking at the moment anyway.

It is my kind of game. I do love the turn based, but mainly am a Final Fantasy Tactics kind of player. It does look really pretty though. Like I said, put on switch, she has my vote.
Regarding the slime, I don't think theyll do the Piranha Plant regular mook as playable thing twice in a row.. Maybe for season 2 but probably not right away in this season..

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Has anyone seen Fountain of Dreams during the gameplay footage?

For those who has, it's easily one of the most beautiful stages in the whole game. They did an amazing job with the stage.
Not surprising. People said the exact same thing about FoD when it debuted in Melee.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Steve from Minecraft
Katalina from Granblue
I would say replace Heihachi with Lloyd Irving and I'd say that's pretty believable.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Because a convincing fake "leak" said he was.

Take away the Grinch leak and everyone only considered Mach Rider as a potential retro rep, which wasn't even seen as likely.
"Convincing" is debatable, one of the reasons being Mach Rider. A character from one game over 30 years ago whose only other appearance is a trophy in Melee. The Excite Bike racer would be more believable, but the only reason Mach Rider was there was because Sakurai jokingly talked about putting him in Smash like 20 years ago, and that's it. Otherwise, he (or she, whatever) is the epitome of irrelevant and unpopular.

Meanwhile Sakurai's talked about Geno twice, he got a Mii costume, is at least available as a player icon in online, and has a large support base. Sakurai is aware of the demand, so if he decides to go that route, he'll make it happen.

The only question is, will he? Incineroar and Piranha Plant have destroyed people's perceptions of who we can expect. The only thing we know is that there's probably a Square Enix character coming. Could be Geno, could be Sora, could be Hitman for all we know. We'll just have to wait and see.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Brie Larson is also a blonde so that's a plus.

She had became one of my favorite actors since watching Kong: Skull Island (Favorite movie of 2017 and favorite King Kong movie). I'm down to seeing her play Samus. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom