• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I can get it, it happened to me with Pokemon, as well.
Well. I know one thing. Being blind about this series is getting me knowhere. Time to play the game. See what the fuss is about. If it is like old school final fantasy or breath of fire, i might enjoy it.

Best not hate to much. I might be for the chatacter in the future.

Untouch

Smash Master
From what Hitagi is saying it seems Katalina wasn't even fully decided on when he heard about it. Serious talks between Cygames and Nintendo but nothing set in stone.
The DLC was decided in 2015, this seems so very unlikely to me.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
You can see it both ways.
They got SNES Mini with Mario RPG-

But on the other hand Geno got Thanos'd from the Super star Saga Remake.

Geno is in a Limbo situation and it all comes down to Square Saying yes and Sakurai asking for him or not
The thing that's confusing is? He very clearly has. Otherwise his imagery wouldn't be everywhere around Ultimate and Smash 4's DLC.

Also the SNES Mini was old news by the time of that tweet. It clearly wasn't to promote it.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
DLC only has one character per pack though. They layed that much out. It's one or the other.
Who said they had to be spread out across the year, though? Roy and Lucas were released at the same time in Smash 4.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The thing that's confusing is? He very clearly has. Otherwise his imagery wouldn't be everywhere around Ultimate and Smash 4's DLC.

Also the SNES Mini was old news by the time of that tweet. It clearly wasn't to promote it.
Oh no but I was talking about "Something behind the scene" like in one hand they got a deal to put SMRPG on the SNES mini

Only to cut Geno from his ONLY cameo

That's what I meant by "Limbo" for Geno

Potato_

Smash Lord
The DLC was decided in 2015, this seems so very unlikely to me.
This was basically what I was hinting at.

Discussions now or even recently seem VERY weird to me. Unless this happened a while back and he only heard about it now I really don't think Katalina will happen.

Then again Vergeben still trusts Hitagi's sources despite not hearing anything about the character himself so.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Oh no but I was talking about "Something behind the scene" like in one hand they got a deal to put SMRPG on the SNES mini

Only to cut Geno from his ONLY cameo

That's what I meant by "Limbo" for Geno
To be fair him being cut from that cameo was also pretty old news as well, hadn't that been removed long before his Mii Fighter costume became a thing?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Because we should be grateful for having a product advertised to us
Riiiight
You can be grateful for the hard work and effort that product has. A business transaction doesn't necessitate both sides acting rude towards each other.

Beatrice

Smash Cadet
After piranha plant, I have zero idea what to expect with the upcoming DLC, and I kinda prefer it that way. Even though I really liked the lineup we would have had with the Grinch leak, it's way more interesting to me to get characters that are unexpected as opposed to defaulting to what's popular.

Untouch

Smash Master

Discussions now or even recently seem VERY weird to me. Unless this happened a while back and he only heard about it now I really don't think Katalina will happen.

Then again Vergeben still trusts Hitagi's sources despite not hearing anything about the character himself so.
At the moment I really do just trust what Vergeben says, if he says that Steve and Katalina are in I'll believe it, but for now they clearly don't have the same source there.

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
It seems like the most common DLC predictions are Bandana Waddle Dee and 4 third party representatives. I get that having third parties is very neat, but I dunno, having too many just doesn’t sit right with me.

ExitWound

Smash Journeyman
You can be grateful for the hard work and effort that product has. A business transaction doesn't necessitate both sides acting rude towards each other.
If I'm not gonna buy it it doesn't matter bro lol

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
So, LeakyPandy is hinting at Dragon Quest.

Spawn Wave is hinting at Sora.

Square Enix fires employees on suspicion alone.

Sakurai's Background Theory presents us with two dice that have a symbol from Kingdom Hearts.

I'm gonna have to side with Spawn Wave on this one.
Leaky wasn't even right about Skull Kid being a boss and not an AT lol. Granted, he still could be one, but him being an AT doesn't help his case

D

Deleted member

OhMyEyes.gif

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'll just put down what characters I think we'll be getting for the Fighter Pass, in no particular order:
  • Geno because Sakurai has expressed interest in him before and he has a lot of demand. Additionally, Vergeben claimed that there will be a second Square Enix character as DLC, and considering the competition (notably, Sora is owned by Disney), it's more than likely Geno.
  • Bandanna Waddle Dee since Piranha Plant is in the game. "Goomba with a hat" doesn't mean anything if they're letting in Goombas now. Plus, he has a lot of demand.
  • Banjo & Kazooie are owned by Microsoft but I think they can make it happen. They have a lot of fan demand, Banjo-Kazooie has a long history with Nintendo, and the rumored N64 Classic is set to have Banjo-Kazooie on it. Maybe they're announced alongside that in a direct? Makes sense to me at least.
  • Heihachi was originally meant to be in Smash 4, but Sakurai turned him down for PAC-MAN, and had trouble working his series' playstyle into Smash. If Sakurai can find a way to make him work, I think he can make it.
  • Now that Shadow is back as an AT, Tails feels like an easy inclusion considering his popularity and the fact that Castlevania and Street Fighter already have two characters. Even if he's a semi-clone like Isabelle, he could work.
Thoughts?
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHER****ING SMASH FANS SAYING THAT SORA WON'T BE IN MOTHER****ING SMASH BECAUSE OF DISNEY. Buckle up. I'm about to bring in some sources.
An Immensely In-depth Analysis on Sora's Chances of Getting in Smash
HMK asks about Sora's rights and his chances at being in Smash Bros.

Disney has said that if the fans want Sora in Smash, they would be more than willing to let him in. They don't care how Sora and the Kingdom Hearts license is used so long as it is true to the source material. All that needs to be done is that Normura has to approve of how Sora and the Kingdom Hearts content in the game would be used, which he would, because it's Sakurai we're talking about here. If Sora doesn't get into Smash, it means that the fans didn't speak out enough, or that Sakurai didn't seek him out. Not because Disney interfered.

Watch this video. It explains things very well.

Also, while we're clearing up misconceptions. Disney didn't step in to prevent Dissidia from being a Disney fighting game, it was Normura who decided against it.
From Normura: "However, deciding it would be a bad idea to make Disney characters fight each other..."
http://www.siliconera.com/2009/06/30/dissidia-final-fantasy-originated-from-kingdom-hearts/
I assume the Square statement you're referring to is actually HMK's interview of a Disney Executive, which is detailed here. People such as @PlayerOneTyler, who literally worked on Disney Infinity, which had the Keyblade as an item, have also corroborated this information. The process for getting Sora in Smash or to use Kingdom Hearts in other media is:
  • Go to Normura and get approval from him because he's the series creator
  • Go to Disney and say you got approval, do actual negotiations
  • Work alongside Disney to ensure all Kingdom Hearts content is true to the source materia
Context: The other thing to consider is that, possibly, Disney doesn't want Sora to appear anywhere without Disney characters like Donald and Goofy being in close proximity, thus killing any crossover offer before it can get started.
Explain this then:

Do you see Donald and Goofy anywhere?

Say it with me everyone:
DISNEY IS NOT A ROADBLOCK TO SORA'S INCLUSION IN SMASH BROS.
Disney doesn't care how Sora is used so long as:

a) Normura approves of it
and
b) It's faithful to his character

That's it. No other bulls***.

Watch HMK's video. It clears up a lot of things.
Refer to HMK's interview with a Disney executive.

Here's a video about it too:

Sora has a good chance of being the SE rep.
I mean, Disney have even allowed Thanos into Fortnite. I think we can expect them being lenient enough for Sora to join the biggest videogame crossover yet, for free advertising.
Think about this one. Disney let Thanos, the main antagonist of one of their biggest movies, into Fortnite for promotion. They'd easily do the same with Sora.

And don't even make me bring up the fan polls.

Say it with me everyone: SORA CAN BE THE SQUARE ENIX REP

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Leaky wasn't even right about Skull Kid being a boss and not an AT lol. Granted, he still could be one, but him being an AT doesn't help his case
Unfortunately it looks like we're going to find out the Square Enix before we know if Skull Kid is a boss (unless the game leaks of course).

osby

Smash Obsessed
i guess its the opposite for Japan, the nice people are the really loud ones lol
Yeah, I guess Japanese are more polite about this stuff in general. Or they don't have weird conspiracy theories caused by mistranslated or out-of-context quotes by Sakurai.

If you're not, this is a weird forum for you to be in.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
The other thing that still makes me think something is up with Geno is the sheer fact that Nintendo even acknowledged the game on it's anniversary. They've never done that before.

Remember the TeamGeno or TeamMallow tweet?

Why even bother to acknowledge the game exists if they're not doing something with it behind the scenes?
Because it's a fun nod to a beloved game? It doesn't have always to be some sort of conspiracy with Nintendo. Was that tweet even put on the Nintendo of Japan Twitter? Because it could've also been a Nintendo of America exclusive thing.
So...

When are we getting Nintendo characters as DLC?
3rd party reps are great and all.
But Smash is a Nintendo game.
Yes, but third party characters rake in money and hype.

Who's going to be more hype in general? Bandana Waddle Dee? Or Banjo & Kazooie? The answer is obvious. While Sakurai loves Nintendo and its fans, the dude also has to make as much money as possible for the company, and third party characters are the way to go for that.
Sakurai puts importance of guest characters over others from what is known. That means that Katalina could have been a more recent deal made & took the place of what ever else might have been pitched since their own first party characters historically are lower on the totem pole compared to a guest if the deal can be agreed on in time.
How many of our unique DLC characters for Sm4sh were first party? 1 out of 4, and that was Corrin, a promotional character.

Let that sink in.

Look at that, Pichu has two hats of Team Aqua & The Skull Hat!

Wait... I just notice Notch-Ear Pichu!!! (Edit)
Ok but the real skin here is Notch-Eared Pichu.

That's my main skin right there.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Because it's a fun nod to a beloved game? It doesn't have always to be some sort of conspiracy with Nintendo. Was that tweet even put on the Nintendo of Japan Twitter? Because it could've also been a Nintendo of America exclusive thing.

Yes, but third party characters rake in money and hype.

Who's going to be more hype in general? Bandana Waddle Dee? Or Banjo & Kazooie? The answer is obvious. While Sakurai loves Nintendo and its fans, the dude also has to make as much money as possible for the company, and third party characters are the way to go for that.

How many of our unique DLC characters for Sm4sh were first party? 1 out of 4, and that was Corrin, a promotional character.

Let that sink in.

Ok but the real skin here is Notch-Eared Pichu.

That's my main skin right there.
I hope for Sora, Crash and Banjo to get in as DLC.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm thinking DLC likelihood is looking like this...

*S: Sora, Steve, Katalina
*A+: Banjo
*A-: Erdrick, Geno, Agnes
*B+: Dixie Kong, Elma
*B-: Chorus Kids, Mach Rider
*C+: SMT character, Doom Guy, Rayman
*C-: Dante, Travis Touchdown, Sans
*D: Rex/Pyra, Arms character, Edelgard

*=Acknowledged by Vergeben to some degree. SE character ensured, Minecraft content ensured. Sora backed by Spawnwave, Katalina and Steve backed by Hitagi.
*= Alternative to Steve, also mentioned by Papagenos.
*=Alternative SE reps.
*=Not deconfirmed. Elma in particular entirely missing in the game despite XC2 content appearing.
*=Based on claim that those characters are in the game in some capacity.
*=Possible 3rd parties.
*="Too late into planning", but possible in a 2nd season.
With Infantry & Tanks gone, I think there might be a small chance for Andy as DLC with the AT incorporated in his moveset. I made a big theory about this based on certain things going on in Spirits Mode as welll as the AT's/Mii Costumes.

I would put him at a C+ in that chart though I think his chances are better than Mach Riders'.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
This is my first post in here in a couple of months so hi. Hope u missed me. Just wanna say my thoughts on the Direct.

I wasn't super stoked for Ken or Incineroar initially, but now that I've seen them in action, they look dope as heck. Especially Incineroar. Sorry about the Grinch leak, y'all.

Also, I haven't really read the reactions to Piranha Plant, but I'm super excited about him! I was sorta just dumbfounded at first because it was such a shocking reveal, but now that it's sunk in I'm totally on board. Sorry, Waluigi fans lul. I was observing some footage of him and noticed he has a lot of moves (more obviously some of his aerials) derived from Captain Falcon. Looks like he has a lot of juggling potential, so I'm very excited about him.

And yeah. DLC. I'm hoping for some Geno and Banjo action, y'all. I don't think Spirits necessarily dis-confirms anything, but we will see! That Rex Mii Costume was a real bummer, though. I hope we can still see him in at some point.

Anyways, carry on!

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

Honestly, like Minecraft, I'm more inclined to believe its just Mii fighter costumes and rumors surrounding that.

"Simon is the last newcomer"
Um, he never said that. Provide an actual source.

Last edited:

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
Why are you still on this thread if you're not buying it lol. Everyone can have their own opinion but don't you want to spend your time doing something else other than talking about a game your not buying. Also, no point in replying to this because i will simply ignore whatever you have to say because I'm just over your nonsense you post on this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom