• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm thinking DLC likelihood is looking like this...

*S: Sora, Steve, Katalina
*A+: Banjo
*A-: Erdrick, Geno, Agnes
*B+: Chrorus Kids, Mach Rider
*B-: Dixie Kong
*C+: SMT character, Doom Guy, Rayman
*C-: Dante, Travis Touchdown
*D: Rex/Pyra, Arms character, Edelgard

*=Acknowledged by Vergeben to some degree. SE character ensured, Minecraft content ensured. Sora backed by Spawnwave, Katalina and Steve backed by Hitagi.
*= Alternative to Steve, also mentioned by Papagenos.
*=Alternative SE reps.
*=Based on claim that those characters are in the game in some capacity.
*=Not deconfirmed.
*=Possible 3rd parties.
*="Too late into planning", but possible in a 2nd season
>SMT
>C+
1467355918549-1.png

SO YOU'RE SAYING THERE'S A CHANCE?

Pakky

Smash Hero
Alright, if Spirits don't deconfirm anything (a la Mewtwo/Lucas 3DS trophies), Mii Costumes are the one full bridge between idea and character, and Chrom still being a part of Robin's Final Smash (which is kinda stupid, if I'm gonna be honest), I'm still holdin' out hope for Geno and Rex & Pyra.

It feels like all the rules are getting broken by the hour as we know more about this game.
No lie.

Look at number 70... Love it.. I love it so much. I'll call it.. Audrey 2, or Ted...

So BWD ain't looking so Generic now is he?

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
The 10 most likely DLC in my opinion:

1 - Sora - Kingdom Hearts 3 was announced in 2013, and will launch in 2019.

2 - Banjo - He is the most requested character, Microsoft and Nintendo together.

3 - Rayman - His trophy in Smash 4, Rabbit Peach as a Spirit.

4 - Geno - Alot of people want him as well, Square Enix and Nintendo together.

5 - Agumon - Digimon Adventure Tri and Digimon Cyber Sleuth were announced in 2015, Digimon Survive on the Switch in 2019, Digimon vs Pokémon.

6 - Crash - Giant mascot, alot of people want him, Trilogy on the Switch.

7 - Steve - Minecraft on all Nintendo systems, giant audience, Microsoft and Nintendo together.

8 - Crono - Biggest Square Enix game on a Nintendo system, Square Enix and Nintendo together.

9 - Elma - Xenoblade CX has a Spirit, no Xenoblade CX musics, Rex as a Mii Costume.

10 - Tails - Biggest sidekick after Luigi, alot of people wants and knows about him, Shadow and Knuckles as ATs.

Last edited:

Matoi

Smash Apprentice
Why the hell is Sakurai putting in Katalina as DLC!? I’ve never even seen anyone ask for this character. I thought he would choose all the popular characters from the ballot, I really don’t think Katalina should be in this game, Especially if she gets in over a popular fan suggestion

blackghost

Smash Champion
I hate this argument.

Did Square Enix demand Noctis instead of Cloud so they could promote FF XV?

Did Konami demand Trevor Belmont instead of Simon so they could promote the Castlevania anime?

The characters that get into Smash are the ones that Sakurai requests. This was made abundantly clear in the interview regarding cloud. Even Square Enix recognize how important Smash is and listened to the man,

If Sakurai wants Banjo, that's who he's going to get. If Sakurai wants Steve, that's who he's going to get. Microsoft isn't going to dictate who Sakurai gets to pick. Phil Spencer himself has already said that he's absolutely willing to let Banjo be in the game. I don't know why this is still confusing for people.

Besides, why would Microsoft need to promote Minecraft? It's already one of the best-selling games of all time, it doesn't need any more recognition. Plus, if Microsoft only cared about "$", then they'd make a Minecraft 2, but they've repeatedly said that they won't because they care about their fans and don't would rather continue servicing the main game instead of fracturing the playerbase.
bad comparison.

first off games could ALWAYS use more promotion. see fire emblem. no one disputes its here yet they dont stop coming and they dont stop comin... sorry almost burst into song.

konami and SE are not microsoft. not even close. microsoft is about that bottom dollar. remember download online online online Microsoft.

the cloud comparison is awful for 2 major reasons:
1. noctis had been in development to appear in tekken 7. so they had a promotional appearance for him already and FF 15 also had promotional appearance in monster hunter i think.
2. Cloud>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>noctis in every measurement among fans. Cloud is undisputedly the face of Final fantasy (sakurai has even stated this) not to mention clouds appearance basically says *wink wink nudge nudge* "don't forget about FF7 remake"
lastly Minecraft is not a Call of duty. you dont just crank another one out. there is no need to develop a sequel as of now. developing a game like that would take immense resources time and money. they purchased it its no longer competition thats enough.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Why the hell is Sakurai putting in Katalina as DLC!? I’ve never even seen anyone ask for this character. I thought he would choose all the popular characters from the ballot, I really don’t think Katalina should be in this game, Especially if she gets in over a popular fan suggestion
Well depending on preferences, many saw lil mac , rosalina, bayonetta, inciniroar and even pp as this. So it can happen.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
1. Japanese popularity
2. Wildly different demographic to appeal to
3. Cross-promotion between the two

There's a reason, it's not reasoning I agree with, but there's reasoning.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
How mature of you.

This is just the sort of pretentious elitism I don't enjoy seeing.

Are you also the kind of person where if you're wrong and called out on it you'll get mad? Or will you just claim revisionist history? I wonder.
Oh dearie. Dearie.

If I'm wrong, bring it on. I'll take it all.

And no, I'm just the kind of person who doesn't shift his beliefs until he sees proof. Not hearsay, nor word-of-mouth, honest to goodness proof.

I have never believed Minecraft content would make it so Smash, and if it was planned that long ago, I would've expected more people to realize something that big would at least get a small shoutout in the Direct.

There is always the chance of it being scrapped/being false information/having your source be wrong on something. How many times have insiders claimed Mother 3 was coming to the West?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I honestly have no idea who to expect for DLC.

I feel like Elma stands a good chance - a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 character isn't an option, and the Xenoblade games seem popular enough to get sequels on a fairly regular basis.

Maybe Heihachi as well, since they're already working with Namco-Bandai, and unlike Akira from Virtua Fighter, we didn't get any Tekken assist trophies, spirits, or costumes. Beyond that, a lot of the characters that I thought of as possibilities were ruled out.

I really hope that a character being a spirit doesn't confirm that they won't be DLC.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No lie.

Look at number 70... Love it.. I love so much. I'll call it.. Audrey 2, or Ted...

So BWD ain't looking so Generic now is he?
If anything, Bandana Dee should get in after that World of Light ****. Kirby needs a friend after all his other friends died.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I can't believe this is an argument just after we got a plant.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
Not gonna lie, if our first DLC pack is 3 Square Enix characters, Steve, and some gachash*t nobody I’ll be really disappointed.

Potato_

Smash Lord
From what Hitagi is saying it seems Katalina wasn't even fully decided on when he heard about it. Serious talks between Cygames and Nintendo but nothing set in stone.

Last edited:

Matoi

Smash Apprentice
Well depending on preferences, many saw lil mac , rosalina, bayonetta, inciniroar and even pp as this. So it can happen.
Yeah, but they are Nintendo characters, and bayo IP is owned by Nintendo. I know people don’t like this word, but I don’t see how she at all deserves too or should be in smash over many other highly requested characters. IMO.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I'm glad that my boy Ivysaur has a new plant friend to talk to now.

Now they can photosynthesize together!

D

Deleted member

I have thought a bit about the chances of Crash getting in Smash.

I will try to make a summary of the things that could help Crash’s chances:

-The relationship between Nintendo and Activision: this started getting notorious around 2014, with the Skylanders collaboration that featured DK and Bowser. These two returned in Imaginators, revealed on 2016 and probably developed since 2015. Activision has also supported the Switch with many ports, and even a Switch bundle themed about Diablo. This relationship could make the deal to have him in Smash more likely, and another point could strenght this (more later).

-The economical benefits that he can bring: Ever since the N Sane Trilogy released, Crash has become a money making machine for Activision, notorious on the UK, and even selling well in Japan. The merchandising has also given a lot of money to the company, and an amiibo could also sell even more.

-Crash and Japan: surprisingly enough, Crash has an huge impact in Japan. Before Spider-Man PS4 released there, the best selling western game there was Crash Bandicoot Warped for PS1, that being between the 90s and the current year. Crash is also popular among japanese Smash fans on the DLC speculation at the moment, alongside Banjo, Geno and Sora. We can say for sure that Japan will benefit Crash.

-The requirements of the DLC packs: Crash can easily fill the requirements that each DLC pack needs to have. The stage can use imported elements from N.Sane Trilogy, since the art style can fit in Ultimate fine. Crash has a lot of fantastic tunes to add on the pack. It is expected that he won’t be an echo either, of course.

-Finally, SEGA: another boost to Crash is the most recent publisher of his titles on Japan, SEGA. This company is already in Smash with Sonic and Bayonetta, so they can help in a good way the contact between Sakurai and Activision, thanks to this.

If we find more, i can update this.

Naiko3232

Smash Apprentice
Sora is a big possibility at this point, and Spawn Wave seems to be very confident about it.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I just feel like while she looks and I know nothing about her that Katalina would probably sell pretty poorly. This is why guests are going to be fan demands or huge icons of gaming.

Or someone who is actually virtually a Nintendo character that Nintendo has investment in ala Bayonetta last time.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It feels like all the rules are getting broken by the hour as we know more about this game.
It's going to be glorious in the long run, I feel.

In addition to that, we also have Nintendo mentioning they wanna go BIG with DLC, when they had their whole shareholders meeting very recently. I just can't see this game only getting more DLC characters, and while it would round out the roster to 80 characters and 75 on the website, no Smash game has had an even amount of characters, either.

Sakurai knows that people want Rex & Pyra. He knows that people want Isaac. He knows that people want Geno, and he definitely knows after yesterday and last week that people want Banjo-Kazooie. At the end of the day, yeah, what matters most is what comes down to this Fighters Pass, but I can't see it just end there when there are still some requests left. The rumors better be right about Sora @ The Game Awards, though. My man Spawn Wave out here with a 9-0 streak.
Adding to that, what's the amount of months it takes to develop a character again (circa 4's dev cycle)? That could give us a good idea what to expect in terms of release windows.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, but they are Nintendo characters, and bayo IP is owned by Nintendo. I know people don’t like this word, but I don’t see how she at all deserves too or should be in smash over many other highly requested characters. IMO.
Bayonetta is developed by Platinum Games and owned by SEGA.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Wait what? Where’s that news at?

I mean, I hope this track of weird DLC means that Sakurai puts in Deathborn as a DLC character because honestly it would be cool and also I would like to fight in the hell track that Deathborn made. ALSO I WANT GX HAZARDS LIKE PILLARS AND MINES TO BE A THING ON A TRACK. AND ALSO MORE GX MUSIC WE NEED MORE OF IT, ESPICALLY CHARACTER SOOOONGS!

ExitWound

Smash Journeyman
what

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The other thing that still makes me think something is up with Geno is the sheer fact that Nintendo even acknowledged the game on it's anniversary. They've never done that before.

Remember the TeamGeno or TeamMallow tweet?

Why even bother to acknowledge the game exists if they're not doing something with it behind the scenes?
You can see it both ways.
They got SNES Mini with Mario RPG-

But on the other hand Geno got Thanos'd from the Super star Saga Remake.

Geno is in a Limbo situation and it all comes down to Square Saying yes and Sakurai asking for him or not

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Welp, it’s gonna be Steve.
So how do you guys plan on destroying your Switch? Personally I’m thinking sledgehammer.
I won’t be destroying my Switch, I paid hard earned money for that thing. Steve will just be my personal punching bag in training mode. :evil:

D

Deleted member

I also kinda wanna bank on Heihachi becoming a DLC character for the Fighter Pass. Tekken 7 was released back in 2015, and Heihachi was a Mii Costume, too. With characters like Black Knight and Akira who were also Mii Costumes becoming ATs, weirdly enough, Heihachi isn't one of them.

If I were to make any predictions on who has a "pretty good chance" for DLC, it's Sora from Kingdom Hearts and Heihachi from Tekken.
Think about that. Sora and Heihachi making the cut.

Honestly, that's matching Smash 4's DLC hype, and we still got 3 new characters left in mind.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Those are bad choices for DLC.
Well, the final three revealed characters during this latest direct weren't exactly amazing choices either, at least from what I'm hearing. The DLC characters all seem relevant though (except for Katalina outside of Japan) and I wouldn't be too surprised to see them in.

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I just feel like while she looks and I know nothing about her that Katalina would probably sell pretty poorly. This is why guests are going to be fan demands or huge icons of gaming.

Or someone who is actually virtually a Nintendo character that Nintendo has investment in ala Bayonetta last time.
If they kick things off with Sora they'll probably get a crapload of people purchasing the season pass. Heck, that's something Spawn Wave brought up; "starting with something big to sell the season pass".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom