• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Smash Lord
I feel like everyone always says they're maining the latest character announced just cause of the freshness; Piranha Plant does look good, but come on.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
My DLC predictions are:

1. Erdrick, Eight or The Luminary from Dragon Quest (3/8/11)
2. Lloyd Irving (I'd prefer it to be Yuri)
3. Banjo
4. Edlgard or other 3 houses rep
5. 8th Gen Pokemon

Wave 2 can focus on first party assist/spirits promotions and wave 3 can focus on 3rd party assist/spirits

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
One more thing, as I was watching the Kencineroar trailer, the only thing I could think of was 1. How cool and well-made it was, and 2. What it would've been like without any leaks. I mean we'd probably still be expecting Decidueye lol. And there'd be some genuine excitement for both characters.

So yeah... Leakers are scum lol. That's my conclusion.

Please don't praise Vergeben in any way whatsoever. He doesn't deserve it and it'll only perpetuate the problem.

I realise I was really nice to Mystic but I feel like when he popped up we kind of needed leakers to come up, mainly just to help disprove the Grinch leak.
If vergeben didn't leak Incin, **** would be even worse since we'd have to deal with morons reeeeing over the fact the dumb owl didn't make it in

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Here's just a few move ideas for a Steve fanmade moveset. No gimmicks or gameplay ideas or anything, just a concept to show how it could possibly work.

Jab - His standard punch, ripped strait from the game. Weak but good frame data.
F-tilt - His standard attack move, taken strait from the game.
U-Tilt - Swings a weapon above his head, has a has a similar hitbox to Isabelle's U-tilt.
D-tilt - Thrusts a weapon in a downwards angle.
F-Smash - Thrust a diamond sword strait forward, good disjointed hitbox. Similar animation to his jab but is recognizably different because it's slower and spawns a sword in his hand.
U-Smash - Thrust a diamond sword upwards, similar to Marth's up smash.
D-Smash - Spins his hole body around in a circle to hit both sides, angling a weapon downwards.

And for specials he could use things like a bow (with different properties then Link's, obviously), a bucket of water for a windbox or magma for a hurtbox, tnt, or something creative with a pick axe or shovel or something.

And I could keep going with aerials, but I'm lazy. Really the only thing I'm struggling with in my head is a crouch (in which I guess he could lay on the ground DDD style or just go without a real one because crouching is a totally unimportant mechanic anyway) and a recovery (which is frequently the hardest part regardless, most characters have creative liberties taken for their's).

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
Alright, I’ve warmed up to Piranha. I think the problem was the timing, So many characters just got deconfirmed and Geno was nowhere to be seen other than a player icon. Then when they drop Piranha on us (which I also assumed was Geno due to the Mario characters which REALLY got my hopes up) as a joke character, it just really felt like salt on the wound. Like “hey your most wanted probably got deconfirmed but here is piranha plant as dlc!”

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Pretty sure I remember in the direct something mentioned about the DLC being planned when the initial plans for Ultimate were made.. I think it's said during the Rex Mii outfit part because it's why Sakurai justified leaving Rex out as DLC.

The way I see it, if that's the case and DLC was planned out the gate, I imagine characters were chosen for DLC for two reasons

1. It would shrink development time so they could get the game out within this window.

2. Most of them if not all are 3rd parties so the companies involved will make more money off of DLC then they would their character be in the base roster.. this was also probably a sweet deal to get more 3rd parties on board.

That being said I imagine the DLC will be a lot of the same.. characters who had strong ballot performance... mixed with well known fan favorites.

My guesses are:

Banjo.. I think it goes without saying Banjo is popular and he was popular back when the ballot was going on too. I think he's almost a guarantee.

Geno... another obvious choice... he's got the popularity to warrant a DLC slot, plus Square wants that $$$ and he's always been popular ballot or no ballot.

Steve.. yup. I'm saying it... I think he's possible and I don't think he effects Banjo nor does Banjo effect him. Besides Microsoft would need to play catch up anyway other 3rd parties would be sitting on 2 or more characters so why not give them 2.

Lloyd... he was a Mii costume.. and as we've seen quite a few have been promoted to playable not to mention Namco who Co develops this game has exactly ONE character.. so I see them getting another and I feel he's the most popular choice.

My fifth choice is a wild card... I'll admit my fifth slot could have its own list.. all the of the characters I mentioned above are expected almost you could say... there's going to be atleast one "you didn't see coming" choice.

Sora.. yea he's becoming that "if it's not Geno choice" but even KH fans have to admit.. you feel he's a long a shot, and thats why he'd blow minds.

Master Chief... I don't think MS will get 3 DLC characters so admittedly if Steve and Banjo are in, the Chiefs out.. but seriously NO ONE would see this one coming and the internet would implode..

Dovakhiin.. I'm really REALLY warming up to this... Bethesda talked to Nintendo about Smash and were really coy about what is was about... they really seem to be trying to support Nintendo as much as possible... it's not out of the realm of possibilities. Alternatively Vault Boy because he'd fit in well due to his cartoon style.

While I can see Rayman, Crash, Spyro etc. I just feel like Crash and Spyro''s resurgence came too late and Rayman just keeps getting passed over...

I don't see Doom slayer getting in. I mean Snake isn't exactly in kid friendly games but Doom is a bit much to be represented alongside Nintendo mascots. I don't think Nintendo would want kids checking out his series of origin lol

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
If this isn't in the game with Piranha Plant, I want a refund on my free character.

And we either need a limbo dance taunt or victory animation

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Alright, I’ve warmed up to Piranha. I think the problem was the timing, So many characters just got deconfirmed and Geno was nowhere to be seen other than a player icon. Then when they drop Piranha on us (which I also assumed was Geno due to the Mario characters which REALLY got my hopes up) as a joke character, it just really felt like salt on the wound.
I think the problem is the randomness of which mook, woulda been alot less painful had it been a good boi koopa troopa. One who is loyal and true and always pays his taxes on time!

D

Deleted member

I feel like everyone always says they're maining the latest character announced just cause of the freshness; Piranha Plant does look good, but come on.
Or you know, they could just geniuenly like the character. There's that too, y'know.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
The only person I feel sorry for in this whole fake leak fiasco is Eric Bricard. The man’s name was dragged through the mud, just so some leaker could have their one week of Internet fame, it’s shameful. :ohwell:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I think all the DLC besides P.Plant will be 3rd party, likely Sora and Steve as we keep hearing about them, then probably more Namco, Sega (Maybe Atlus?), and other microsoft/konami character or a new 3rd party entirely.

I can dream it'd be Falcom but that'll never happen.

Do we know the plants commands on its specials?

Up b is obvious, but the other three are kinda hard to place. I thought the spike ball would be nutersl b like Ivysaurs bullet speed, but what about poison? That seems like it could be its over b, but wouldn't over b make more sense for the stretch? But since stretch makes him go into his pot and aim it could be his down special, but I could see the spike ball being his down special as well.

Basically all his other specials can be swapped around with each other command wise and make sense.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm maining Incineroar because he's rad, what are you on about?
Among newcomers? Still Isabelle, but damn, red trio looks good. I don't even like playing as Ryu but I want to try Ken out now. And Incineroar just suplexed every single "generic", "boring" and "no personality" argument out of existence.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I think all the DLC besides P.Plant will be 3rd party, likely Sora and Steve as we keep hearing about them, then probably more Namco, Sega (Maybe Atlus?), and other microsoft/konami character or a new 3rd party entirely.

If a first party does get in it'll be like Corrin and be mostly to shill for an upcoming game... Maybe Sylux?

Dan

Smash Lord
I'm maining Incineroar because he's rad, what are you on about?
I plan on going online and everyone will be Piranha Plant with all the people who say they're maining it; just after every trailer I've noticed everyone saying they're maining the character announced.

I'll give you Incineroar though; not a lot of people have claimed him.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I am STILL shook from yesterday cause like... If the next game is a reboot with a significantly smaller cast, we're going to have people go "WHERE IS PIRANHA PLANT" And I'm going to be one of them and I can't ****ing handle that
Same. I was kinda salty at him first but that didn't even lasted until the end of his trailer.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Among newcomers? Still Isabelle, but damn, red trio looks good. I don't even like playing as Ryu but I want to try Ken out now. And Incineroar just suplexed every single "generic", "boring" and "no personality" argument out of existence.
I'm still most excited for Inkling, both as a Splatoon fan and someone who like their mechanic.
But Incineroar looks so cool and after years of being "the worst Alola starter" having this feels really great, y'know?

D

Deleted member

Adol would be cool to see.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
As per whether the Piranha Plant is actually good, who can say? Every single thing we saw in that trailer looked powerful, but for such a strange character, it's hard to really visualize the playstyle with about one minute of footage that doesn't even show you every move he has and is from a build in which he's obviously not done (if he were done, he'd release at launch). It would definitely be very foolish to just assume he's going to be bad though because he's a goofball; he's a Pikachu sized character who can stretch to his huge areas and who has several moves that seem quick to supplement. We saw a pretty ordinary grab (always a big positive), and his mobility looked surprisingly okay for literally a potted plant (funny to laugh at every character who is outrun by a potted plant for sure). So he's really still a mystery, but the potential is pretty obvious there.
Character trailers always make them look badass. But then you get in the actual game, and it's not quite how they're pictured. Dark Samus looks pretty badass in her reveal and character trailer, but, well, she's an Echo of Samus, who's been consistently bad throughout the series. So how good can she really be?

Doesn't matter to me, though. Tiers are no object. My mains in Smash 4 and Brawl were R.O.B. and Dedede, so they were never on my side anyways.

If vergeben didn't leak Incin, **** would be even worse since we'd have to deal with morons reeeeing over the fact the dumb owl didn't make it in
You make an interesting point.

A year ago, Mario+ Rabbids was leaked. There was a lot of "reeeing" to be had by many simply because of the Rabbids. But that meant that by the time the game was actually shown, people spent less time "reeeing" and more time paying attention to the game to find that it was actually... well, really damn good. Despite what one's initial reaction might be. People were able to appreciate the game for, well, the game itself, rather than just immediately dismiss it due to the premise.

Incineroar benefited in the same way. Imagine if there were no leaks whatsoever, and everyone went in with complete hope in Isaac, Geno, etc. Then Incineroar shows up to the complete surprise of everyone. The internet would be even more of a crapstorm than it is right now, because we've all had a couple months to expect and accept that Incineroar was coming. So, when we all finally looked at him and his unique playstyle and animations, we could appreciate that more, instead of being caught up in the fact that it wasn't what we wanted.

The only wrench in that expectation was a Grinch. That leak was apparently created by that "MarioTehPlumber" guy for the express purpose of spiting Sakurai, Nintendo, and us. It wasn't done for attention, like so many other fake leaks. It was done specifically and intentionally to hurt people.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

Probably Bethesda, especially since we know they've talked about Smash with Nintendo

Bethesda
Atlus
Microsoft
Activision
Square Enix/Disney

Those are gonna be the companies. Hopefully

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Just a thought: what if Shadow and Isaac were leakbait and that's why they weren't revealed until now (to keep up the illusion).

D

Deleted member

Probably Bethesda, especially since we know they've talked about Smash with Nintendo

Bethesda
Atlus
Microsoft
Activision
Square Enix/Disney

I'd go Super Sayian levels of hype for Doomguy.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

Bethesda
Atlus
Microsoft
Activision
Square Enix/Disney

Oh right Bethesda, keep forgetting about their meeting.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Poor Primarina mistreated as heck... Decidueye gets Pokken, Incineroar gets Smash, but the by ten thousand miles best Alolan starter gets nothing

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
Saw this thought on Reddit, so what are your guy’s opinion on Wave 2 DLC being characters that are upgraded from AT to playable, or a ballot to determine a character to get promoted from AT to a playable character. It’s not likely, but it’s possible.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I decided to erase my post joking about the remote possibility of Piranha Plant being banned since it brings nothing good.

But since we're on this topic I want to say that I think characters *should* be banned of the competitive scene if they are really OP and Nintendo doesn't help with the issue.
I was here when banning Mk was being discussed over and over. Brawl's Mk case carried some problems, one of then being that Ice Climbers would probably achieve the number one spot of the tier list without him,and ICs were never popular to begin with. Also the ban decision was held too late,when a giant portion of the playerbase was using Mk already. Tournaments without him would lose money and top players presence. It was a right decision that was delayed until becomes not viable.

Smash 4's Bayo is worse than Brawl's Mk in comparison. Most people wanted to ban her because she had options most considered unfair/boring,specially W.Time and ladder kills but there was always people who won against bayo, as MkLeo. Diddy vs Bayo and Sheik vs Bayo never seemed that bad and the ban would happen only in a desperate fashion to reborn a game that people were already tired of.

I don't think it will happen,but if it does, I say let's take a stance before it's too late. A ban into a competitive environment is serious and claims atention. Nintendo would probably fix a character that competitive scene banned within a month and the meta could go to a brigther direction.
Hopefully won't be any reason to discuss baning a character in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom