• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akiak

Smash Ace
Direct was good, was honestly shocked by Grinch being fake

Ken is just Ken, sure, but damn he looks amazing, both visually and gameplay-wise

Incineroar...unfortunately looks really good, but I don't feel like his kit comes together to form a particularly interesting character overall... I'm sure I'll warm up to him to a certain degree though (hehe)

I like Spirits (seems addictive), and I really like World of Light.

Piranha Plant is honestly amazing and actually has one of the best movesets of the whole game lol

DLC, I see Banjo, Steve, and a Square rep getting in due to leaks. For the Square rep... I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that spirits and avatars or whatever they are ARE deconfirmed. The evidence to the contrary doesn't really hold up in my eyes (WFT spirit is a specific pose, etc.) so I'm gonna say no Geno. I actually feel like the moment they added Geno's mii costume, they basically realised 'hey, this is actually pretty accurate to how he would play as a character' and just decided to leave it at that. Sad, but likely.

So it's a toss-up between Sora & DQ. I was leaning more towards DQ initially, but Sora definitely has more global appeal, which might be very important for these 'blind' DLC picks.

We could get Banjo as a character with a Minecraft stage... as a 'Microsoft slot', although I'm probably reaching. It's still unclear if we're getting any other DLC outside of the 5-pack, unless I missed some info.

Bandana Dee is a fairly strong pick imo, and probably the strongest first-party pick. Has anyone checked Dedede's entrance animation yet?

Finally, I feel like a female rep would be a good guess, again I think with these 'blind' packs of DLC there might be more effort than usual on character diversity (as well as significance). So probably Elma, or possibly Mach Rider.

Honorable mentions: Dante, Crash, Rayman, Heihachi

brb gonna research this Bandana Dee stuff

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Seeing folk drum up talk of a potential SMT character is encouraging, I for one would love a Demon to represent the series, but I think we all know Joker would be the choice they'd go with. Gonna have fun coming up with Character+Stage+Music for an SMT DLC set.

To sum up:
- Kingdom Hearts wouldn't benefit very much from using Smash as cross-promotion. It's already massively popular in the west and doesn't really need such a push to sell KH 3. I believe the sheer hype surrounding the game is sufficient to get newcomers on board as well.

- Dragon Quest being promoted in Smash could probably be the push it needs to finally breakout in the west, thus leading to more successful western releases in the future. There's not much hype or interest surrounding DQ in the west, but it being in Smash could potentially change that.

I think Dragon Quest benefits more from being in Smash (and has done more than enough to deserve it). It's something that I'm sure everyone involved would want to make happen. KH could very well take the spot, but I'll always see it as a huge missed opportunity to increase interest in DQ. Well, those are my thoughts, anyway. I'm not an expert on subjects like this, so please excuse me if I'm not making too much sense.

View attachment 174919

Whatever happens, I'm sure it's going to be rad. I wish the best of luck to all of you Sora fans, but don't count us DQ fans out just yet.
I'm 100% on this. Been spreading the word elsewhere, but I echo this sentiment. Smash could be DQ's potentially last chance to win over the West.

D

Deleted member

Lol, you really trying to tell me that a voxel-man with an unchanging 8x8 face can be expressive smh.
Even G&W, with his new animations, expresses himself more.

Even in his own game, the man is floaty as **** and only interacts with his environment by swinging his right hand.
I can't imagine him in game, and I've put a **** ton of time into Minecraft.
They can make Steve work, they really can. Just stay true to the original structure and allow movement through the face and limbs and stuff. It is easier than you think.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Lol, you really trying to tell me that a voxel-man with an unchanging 8x8 face can be expressive smh.
Even G&W, with his new animations, expresses himself more.

Even in his own game, the man is floaty as **** and only interacts with his environment by swinging his right hand.
I can't imagine him in game, and I've put a **** ton of time into Minecraft.
That fake video leak with Steve begs to differ, you can make him look pretty unique. But hey, to each their own and-

I can't imagine him in game.
Oh God, you used the forbidden argument. I'm gonna have to drop all contacts with you.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Piranha Plant has crazy range and if all of that are some crazy disjoints........ welp. It's gonna be very present for sure.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Joker, Bandana Dee, Doomguy, Banjo, Sora. Best picks right here, everyone wins!

except for bamco

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Piranha Plant has crazy range and if all of that are some crazy disjoints........ welp. It's gonna be very present for sure.
Did you notice that the move where PP retracts and expands has super armor while it's charging?
I don't know much of it is has, but goddamn that's pretty crazy.

D

Deleted member

If Steve gets in, this boards going to be a whole another level of salty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Potato_

Smash Lord
I don't even need to reply anymore you took the words right out of my mouth.

With that Frame 2 Dunk D-Air there's no way he's low tier.
A good amount of people are liking it's range. It may just be viable.
I know it certainly looked promising, Seemed to have a decent recovery and yeah that dair came out REAL quick. What I assume is the side B (The weird charging thing?) seemed a bit weird but it did have crazy range on it.

I'm just saying as a hypothetical.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Looking back on it, it seems that the final victory only says the name, not the previous "[name] wins!". I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.
Actually he still says "wins" but now it takes way more time than the E3 demo (so it alings more with the "BOOM" on the screen). You can barely hear it by the end here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqcsFqtai6k

Still... such a weird change. "The winner is" was honestly so much better.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
To each their own and-

Oh God, you used the forbidden argument. I'm gonna have to drop all contacts with you.
Hey man, if you can telepathically insert your Steve vision into my skull with some big brain energy, I'd really appreciate it.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
My guesses for DLC would have to be:

- Chorus Kids since they had character data in Smash 4.
- Geno because Sakurai wanted him to be playable in previous games per his interview a few years ago. Plus Vergeben (love him or hate him, his information is the best source we have) believes we will get a Square Enix character.
- Dixie Kong since she is still a relatively popular and recognizable pick that is left.
- Microsoft character. The only situations I can see Banjo > Steve given that Vergeben also believes we will get Minecraft representation is if Banjo's stage is a 'Microsoft celebration stage,' if the Banjo stage also receives Minecraft music, or if there's already Minecraft content in the base game that hasn't been revealed.
- Some third party character or Bandana Dee. Dee is still a popular choice in Japan but the potential for more 3rd party newcomers is high.

I don't think we will get any surprise characters such as Gen 8 Pokemon, Three Houses protagonist, etc. if characters like Rex and Spring Man are axed. I also don't think being in Spirits deconfirms any characters. Since they are replacing trophies, it will literally knock out almost every prominent Nintendo character out of contention for being a fighter

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hey man, if you can telepathically insert your Steve vision into my skull with some big brain energy, I'd really appreciate it.
I'm sorry, Idon?
More like Idontknowyou ***** :096:

ExitWound

Smash Journeyman
Steve grunts when he gets hurt, so he isn't mute. We can infer that Steve is a survivalist; he has a drive to overcome any situation and is a skilled hunter-gatherer. He single-handedly kills supernatural monsters, including a dragon, so he is extremely strong. He's also pretty smart because of his DIY and enchantment knowledge.

It's like saying Samus can't get in because she has no "personality" or facial expressions. Completely irrelevant.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm going to throw out two disclaimers here.

1) I don't play Minecraft nor actually want Steve.
2) I don't personally see a playable Steve as super likely.

But I've never liked "this character doesn't make sense in my head" as a counter argument. I can totally imagine a playable Steve using a variety of moves in my head, even with limited animations. Part of me is almost inclined to sketch it out just to prove the point. Yet at the same time I never could have imagined a Piranha Plant having a moveset that makes sense in my own head, just as so many people couldn't imagine a shrunken down Ridley that looks right before.

The real question is can Sakurai see the character as making sense, and the answer to that is always "we don't know until it happens". We can debate the likely hood but I don't think it's fair to shoot it down entirely.

Bee Card

Smash Ace
Banjo
Sora or Geno (hopes for Geno)
Bandana Dee
Fire Emblem Three Houses character
Steve

I think this could be the first season pass (I think there will be at least 2 season pass)

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Also am I alone in thinking this but:

Isn't the Spirits mode basically just the Adventure mode?

Like I imagine it's within the Spirits option as the main mode, with other buttons on all of the other features they talked about.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Imagine if Piranha Plant is Pichu's opposite.

This game's WTF joke character, but instead of being trash, he's godlike.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Yeah.
He literally said it was.
I'm seeing so many people going "Spirits mode sucks but World of Light looks great" and I'm just left feeling like I missed something because I thought they were the same thing.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm seeing so many people going "Spirits mode sucks but World of Light looks great" and I'm just left feeling like I missed something because I thought they were the same thing.
They pretty much are, one just has lore.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
I'm sad that Rex is seemingly disconfirmed for now, but at least he's almost certainly in if they did a second DLC wave. From what Sakurai said he 100% would have added him in if the development timelines didn't conflict.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
They aren't. While I do think that World of Light IS an option inside Spirits, there's also that wanted poster board thingie where you randomly choose a spirit to fight against. That's probably what people are referring to

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
EDIT: Piranha plant have great potential from what was showed until now.

Last edited:

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Direct was good, was honestly shocked by Grinch being fake

Ken is just Ken, sure, but damn he looks amazing, both visually and gameplay-wise

Incineroar...unfortunately looks really good, but I don't feel like his kit comes together to form a particularly interesting character overall... I'm sure I'll warm up to him to a certain degree though (hehe)

I like Spirits (seems addictive), and I really like World of Light.

Piranha Plant is honestly amazing and actually has one of the best movesets of the whole game lol

DLC, I see Banjo, Steve, and a Square rep getting in due to leaks. For the Square rep... I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that spirits and avatars or whatever they are ARE deconfirmed. The evidence to the contrary doesn't really hold up in my eyes (WFT spirit is a specific pose, etc.) so I'm gonna say no Geno. I actually feel like the moment they added Geno's mii costume, they basically realised 'hey, this is actually pretty accurate to how he would play as a character' and just decided to leave it at that. Sad, but likely.

So it's a toss-up between Sora & DQ. I was leaning more towards DQ initially, but Sora definitely has more global appeal, which might be very important for these 'blind' DLC picks.

We could get Banjo as a character with a Minecraft stage... as a 'Microsoft slot', although I'm probably reaching. It's still unclear if we're getting any other DLC outside of the 5-pack, unless I missed some info.

Bandana Dee is a fairly strong pick imo, and probably the strongest first-party pick. Has anyone checked Dedede's entrance animation yet?

Finally, I feel like a female rep would be a good guess, again I think with these 'blind' packs of DLC there might be more effort than usual on character diversity (as well as significance). So probably Elma, or possibly Mach Rider.

Honorable mentions: Dante, Crash, Rayman, Heihachi

brb gonna research this Bandana Dee stuff
Have any leaks claimed Banjo though? I know Papa's source has but he's gonna contact him to see what's up, I think that's the only "source" so far.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
World of Light should've been called Hashi no Kaabii 2: Kirby our Savior

I don't know Japanese.

Have any leaks claimed Banjo though? I know Papa's source has but he's gonna contact him to see what's up, I think that's the only "source" so far.
I don't think they know anything beyond the VGA's and maybe Minecraft (Vergeben knows Minecraft stuff is coming).

PapaGenos has said that his source's source was originally only sure about Banjo-Kazooie being DLC, and that the source was confused upon hearing about the Grinch Leak and its characters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom