• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
I don't think he's a guarantee. Albeit, I was surprised at no Minecraft content in base(that we know of. Spirits maybe?). But we should be prepared for the possibility. Not act like he's inevitable.
Definitely, personally I think it's between three scenarios:

-DLC pack with Steve and Minecraft stage, No Banjo DLC
-DLC pack with Steve and Minecraft stage, separate DLC with Banjo and Banjo stage
-DLC pack with Minecraft stage and Banjo as playable

I think the odds of one of the first two scenarios being a reality are higher than the third being a reality, but who knows.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Steve is a mute. Is that a bad thing?
:ultlink: I don't think it is. :ultyounglink:
Also, I believe there is a personality in there. He's blocky, he's got stiff movements, that alone you can show character through. Steve is in a survival game, make him eat some **** in his idle. There's subtlety in all this.
Could always add goofy sound effects for him, like Villager.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
Honest question, why you keep on predecting stuff when they just shoved it in your face that theres no pattern, no hint, nop anything. Sakurai will add whatever he wants, just wait for the announcement.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
I think, for DLC, it would be wise to expect mostly huge hitter third-parties (Geno is the opposite of huge), with one first party character that did well in the Ballot, maybe Bandana Dee? Although I don't even know at this point anymore. I can't wait to see what surprises Sakurai throws at us.
Yeah I just can't see Geno getting in over Sora (assuming Disney is on board) but hey what the heck do I know.

Master of Fire

Smash Cadet
I'm thinking that Piranha Plant's stage will be a jungle level from New Super Mario Bros. or something similar (something specific to Piranha Plant, not just Mario in general).

What do you guys think?

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
what i want for dlc

-Any DQ character
-Sonic/Sega character
-Namco character
-Capcom Character
-idk Banjo or Doom Slayer i guess

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Honest question, why you keep on predecting stuff when they just shoved it in your face that theres no pattern, no hint, nop anything. Sakurai will add whatever he wants, just wait for the announcement.
That's why I'm not going to bother guessing.

I'm just going to say what I want and hope some of it comes true

Chrono.

I don't think he's a guarantee. Albeit, I was surprised at no Minecraft content in base(that we know of. Spirits maybe?). But we should be prepared for the possibility. Not act like he's inevitable.
I feel that if Minecraft content were on base they would've told us.

Minecraft is just too big of an IP to not mention, they even gave the Fatal Frame girls some spotlight.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Honestly though, I can see Steve having a move like Villager and Isabelle where he dashes and drops a clunkly block of a random material on you that does varying amount of damage depending on the material; the most common being dirt and wood.

He could have a projectile weaopn with the arrows or even throwing an axe or even just a diamond.

He could legit be a Villager semi-clone (which Sakurai DIDN'T disconfirm as he obviously considers Doc and Isabelle unique enough). Granted, it's not as original as some others, but it's an idea.

For a taunt, he could spin around and put on a set of Diamond armor while raising a diamond sword up in the air which gives off a little twinkle.

These are just random ideas I had and I'm not even a developer.

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
This is just the desperate Golden Sun fan inside of me, but I don’t see why they would put Isaac back in if they weren’t going to do ANYTHING with the series. Maybe Matthew/Felix is DLC(I know Matthew is a spirit, but so are WFT and K Rool), or maybe, this has a 0.0000000001% chance of happening but, maybe they’re making a GS4 to finally wrap up that cliff hanger Dark Dawn left us on. Maybe the supposed main character of that game is DLC(Be it Matthew or a new Character). That’s just my Tinfoil hat theory to keep me from avoiding the depressing realization that Golden Sun is dead...

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
When G&W hits a 7, he spawns 3 apples instead of 1. Cool.

Zinith Zinith
When Yoshi Double Jumps, he appears to face closer to the camera, and his animation looks a little more like it does in the YI games.

I like it, personally.

D

Deleted member

Try as much as you want, you won't be able to stop people from speculating.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I had no idea that Skull Kid and Dillon were AT's

I guess RIP the dream

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Piranha plant isn't a fleshed out, developed character either. All he did previously was pop out of a pipe and try to bite or spit fire at Mario. yet here we are. Steve can absolutely get in
Piranha Plants have dozens of appearances to draw from. Off the top of my head, in Super Mario Odyssey, when they spit stuff at you, their lips form a specific expression that reflects that, and if you knock a rock at them, they'll swallow it and have an animation where they panic a bit.

That's already way more personality than Steve has.

You can make Steve do anything.

Fling his pickaxe, swing his sword, eat an apple. There is so many things you can make him do.
I'll use my previous example: eating. It is a survival series, technically. Displaying (maybe even dropping) items in his hand, such as crafting table, diamonds, is also fine to demonstrate the crafting part.
On most other characters, that kind of stuff would work, absolutely. The issue with Steve is that his animations are limited; he can't bend his elbows or knees. His arms and legs are like an action figure without elbow and knee joints. Sakurai could make the executive decision and give him elbow and knee joints to allow some extra mobility and expression, but then that wouldn't be faithful to the animations of the original game.

So eating something would just have the item spawn in his hand, he'd rotate his arm a little bit to kind of raise it to his head, the item would disappear into thin air, and then he'd rotate his arm back down.

Compare that to Young Link who pulls out a bottle of milk, displays it for a moment, chugs it, wipes his mouth with his forearm, then gives a smirk.

That's the issue I'm trying to convey. Either Sakurai has to change the character in order to make him work, because his animations are so limited, or he sticks to those limitations and we wind up with a character that's rather boring.

LetterO

Smash Lord
This is just the desperate Golden Sun fan inside of me, but I don’t see why they would put Isaac back in if they weren’t going to do ANYTHING with the series. Maybe Matthew/Felix is DLC(I know Matthew is a spirit, but so are WFT and K Rool), or maybe, this has a 0.0000000001% chance of happening but, maybe they’re making a GS4 to finally wrap up that cliff hanger Dark Dawn left us on. Maybe the supposed main character of that game is DLC(Be it Matthew or a new Character). That’s just my Tinfoil hat theory to keep me from avoiding the depressing realization that Golden Sun is dead...
Sakurai didn't say anything on Isaac like he did Rex. I find it really strange why he would just leave him out in Smash 4, then bring him back most likely well knowing his demand and just make him an assist again. It just feels insulting.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
You just ignored half of what I said. Being mute has nothing to do with it. Dark Samus is mute, but her animations convey her personality in the way she floats and attacks. It's subtle, as you say. But what would be subtle about Steve?

Here's the perfect exercise to demonstrate what I'm trying to say: What would Steve's taunts be? Every character has three, and they all serve to further show their personality and character. Ridley screeches, Piranha Plant chomps, Ken gives a thumbs-up--and, to use one of your examples here--Young Link drinks milk. What would Steve do that shows his uniqueness and separates him from the rest of the cast?
-Up taunt. a bed appears and steve sits on it waiting. if you want to go an extra mile, other characters also can have sitting animations and sit with steve. (refects relaxed nature and own pace gameplay)
-Down taunt, places a torch in the floor. the torch does nothing but gives a warm safe light around it (safety in light, cave exploring, and modifing teh enviroment)
-Side taunt he tooks a map... looks at it up and down, then puts it away (reflects its quality as a stranded guy, and it awkward perplexity at being lost)
-Side taunt alternative. A chest spawn he obessive rustles trough it contents then closes teh chest and the chest dissapears (obsesive compulsive disorder, inventory management and resource organization)
-another side taunt alternative. Takes a potion and drinks it. if young link can, why he cannot?
-yet another side taunt alternative A pig spawns, looks at steve and runs in panic (survival)
-did i said side taunt alternative yet? starts opunching the floor... but to his surprise, nothing happens. (worlds collide and this floor cannot be broken)

there... what i think would be incredible sweet up and down taunts, and even 5 side taunts to choose from. if you say that these taunts doesn't represent steve, try givng them to marth... or mario... or even villager.

D

Deleted member

Piranha Plants have dozens of appearances to draw from. Off the top of my head, in Super Mario Odyssey, when they spit stuff at you, their lips form a specific expression that reflects that, and if you knock a rock at them, they'll swallow it and have an animation where they panic a bit.

On most other characters, that kind of stuff would work, absolutely. The issue with Steve is that his animations are limited; he can't bend his elbows or knees. His arms and legs are like an action figure without elbow and knee joints. Sakurai could make the executive decision and give him elbow and knee joints to allow some extra mobility and expression, but then that wouldn't be faithful to the animations of the original game.

So eating something would just have the item spawn in his hand, he'd rotate his arm a little bit to kind of raise it to his head, the item would disappear into thin air, and then he'd rotate his arm back down.

Compare that to Young Link who pulls out a bottle of milk, displays it for a moment, chugs it, wipes his mouth with his forearm, then gives a smirk.

That's the issue I'm trying to convey. Either Sakurai has to change the character in order to make him work, because his animations are so limited, or he sticks to those limitations and we wind up with a character that's rather boring.
They are not going to make him exactly like Minecraft, I am sure they are going to make himself fluent with his attacks and taunts. Not too different, but they can make it work.

YouTubers have done well with this before.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Looking back on it, it seems that the final victory only says the name, not the previous "[name] wins!". I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
This is just the desperate Golden Sun fan inside of me, but I don’t see why they would put Isaac back in if they weren’t going to do ANYTHING with the series.
People weren't exactly happy when Isaac was removed from Smash 4 entirely.

I get that people wanted him as a character, but if he wasn't in as an AT this time around, he probably wouldn't have been in at all. And now that trophies are gone, being in as an AT means even more than it did before.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
...Geno.

I believe he's in this time.
If he doesn't get, you'll promise not to hate on Sakurai, right?

I'm thinking that Piranha Plant's stage will be a jungle level from New Super Mario Bros. or something similar (something specific to Piranha Plant, not just Mario in general).

What do you guys think?
I don't think Piranha Plant will get a stage since it isn't part of the Fighters Pass.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
:ultken::ultincinceroar::ultpiranha:
New icons already!

Also, they've got another Pichu headband hidden on the site

I'm really liking Pichu's outfits so far. The Aqua headband is a great touch.

Personally, only switching Ken + Incinoroar with K Rool, Dark Samus + Chrom would have really made it better for me.

It's odd how understated this is. I think people are trying not to complain, but if the characters had been introduced in a diffrent order I think the majority of people would have been way more satisfied. Incenior and Ken in the second or third direct with K. Rool and Ridley being some of the final characters shown would have balanced the hype levels. The problem with Ken and "new pokemon rep" is that one is an obvious choice after 3rd party echos were shown and the other is assumed to happen. Having Ken showen befor Richter would have really only made Richter less of a suprise, as opposed to making Ken feel obvious. Ridley and K. Rool were pipe dreams to an extent before they were shown. Either one of them paired with Chrome, Dark Samus, or even Isabelle in the last direct would have ended the "final character reveals" with a bang. Instead the reveals were front loaded.

This roster is fantastic, but it was presented with biggest surprises first.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

The thing is though that his limited animations would be his personality, the same way it is for Mr.Game&Watch. He'd be hilariously out of place amongst all these highly animated and emotive fighters in a way that makes him stand out.

As for having a variety of moves, even if he can't bend his arms and legs, he can still swing them in different angles or pull out different items, so I don't think designing a moveset would be impossible for him either.

Potato_

Smash Lord

I think the Piranha plant memes are the best part about this whole thing.

Seriously, imagine losing to the ****ing PIRANHA PLANT. Especially if he ends up low tier? That's gonna be a whole nother level of disrespect.

might have to learn this guy as a pocket pick just to screw with friends.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The thing is though that his limited animations would be his personality, the same way it is for Mr.Game&Watch. He'd be hilariously out of place amongst all these highly animated and emotive fighters in a way that makes him stand out.

As for having a variety of moves, even if he can't bend his arms and legs, he can still swing them in different angles or pull out different items, so I don't think designing a moveset would be impossible for him either.
I don't even need to reply anymore you took the words right out of my mouth.

Seriously, imagine losing to the ****ing PIRANHA PLANT. Especially if he ends up low tier? That's gonna be a whole nother level of disrespect.

With that Frame 2 Dunk D-Air there's no way he's low tier.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

Imagine if he's this game's Bayonetta or Meta Knight or Fox

Last edited:

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
People weren't exactly happy when Isaac was removed from Smash 4 entirely.

I get that people wanted him as a character, but if he wasn't in as an AT this time around, he probably wouldn't have been in at all. And now that trophies are gone, being in as an AT means even more than it did before.
I’m just happy the series has physical representation besides music after 8 years. This opens up possibilities for Golden Sun DLC, even if it’s a low chance. I just don’t want the series to die on a cliffhanger

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Lol, you really trying to tell me that a voxel-man with an unchanging 8x8 face can be expressive smh.
Even G&W, with his new animations, expresses himself more.

Even in his own game, the man is floaty as **** and only interacts with his environment by swinging his right hand.
I can't imagine him in game, and I've put a **** ton of time into Minecraft.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Steve can work, just look at Minecraft: Dungeons.

Even if he stayed like his original self, it'd be funny to watch :troll:

Also, Vergeben has heard "stage," "assist trophy," and "possibly a character" so I assume it's going to be DLC, just it may or may not get a playable character (I'm hoping we get Banjo-Kazooie and Steve).

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Oh man, I like Wolf's Up-Smash.

It's the same kick he had in Brawl, but they changed the animation so now it actually looks natural.

My biggest problem with that thing was always that it looked Jank as all hell, but now it actually looks kinda normal.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion

A good amount of people are liking it's range. It may just be viable.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
you know if theres one good thing about trophies being replaced with PNGs

its that alot of obscure characters artwork only existing as ****ty grainy scans online now have higher quality official art available straight out of Nintendo's vault

maybe we'll finally get the official art from FE Fates that never released in here hahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom