• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
So, who's everyone's most anticipated newcomer?

For me, it's Incineroar...
Having chosen Litten in Sun Moon, he has a soft spot for me...

Honorable mentions to Inkling, Richter, and Isabelle
Incineroar (edges out K. Rool due to Incineroar looking more fun in action, and because I'd actually play Incineroar)

TBH, no one new to the franchise in Ultimate hyped me the way Greninja did pre-Smash 4, or Pit, Wolf, and Lucario all did, each, pre-Brawl, or strangly Ice Climbers, Mewtwo, and Marth did during Melee (Melee & Smash 64 were the only titles that never got fully spoiled for me back in the day)

Roberk

Smash Champion
I just wish we got Smash Run back, I would've really liked to see that mode be fleshed out on a console. I had a lot of fun with it and I think it had some real potential, definitely filled the platforming/Kirby-like gameplay void from Subspace. I'm really looking forward to World of Light but it just looks like Event Matches right now.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'd like to be proven wrong but I think the most obvious choice for one of the 5 slots is Edelgard from Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

Just like last game, we've had at least one new Mario, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem fighter. I would expect the same thing to happen here.

The DLC timeline is 2019-2020, guess which game comes out between that time? Fire Emblem: Three Houses. And factor in Corrin who was added into Smash 4 solely to promote Fire Emblem: Fates.
DLC is already decided at this point tho. Unless it's meant to coincide with the release of the game I doubt it.

Sakurai is averse to promotion characters (Corrin got a pass because dragon powers), and the "Mario, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem fighter" pattern is a fan made construct.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I wonder what the Master Hands are all about, though. They're either fakes by the way they transform or the final boss is just a really woke Master Core.
Speaking of Master Core will he even return?
What if they're made of Shadow Bugs from SSE? We know Game and Watch is made of them, it's not a stretch Master/Crazy Hand would be, too.
Also it's weird that all the hands were Master Hands and not Crazy Hands.

What if Master Core is a spirit that inhabits the Master Hand until they get called back into the main "winged guy thing that is obviously the antagonist"?

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Thought occured to me that World of light being mission structured kind of fuses the best two modes together dont it, Mission Mode and Adventure mode.. hopefully there will be themed matches not based on just spirits.
That’s what I like about it a lot. It looks fun to me.

Falcon really trying to dip in the cutscene will always be funny to me

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I can only still want Dixie Kong and Impa. What are their chances according to you all?
50/50 for Dixie. On one hand they can fit in one more DKC character, on the other they'll likely want to focus on a few third parties, so it's tough to tell.

0% for Impa, seeing Zelda's track record for having newcomers in Smash. Not that big a fan of the series anyway, so it won't bother me much.

In Ultimate?
Zero.

Unless Sakurai surprises us at the end of the DLC with a ****ton of random echoes.

For 6? Possible. Very possible.
If anything, the better question would be how much assets they would reuse to ease development by the near end of the Switch's life/the next console. I've been surprised by the amount of Brawl stuff in here so far.

That’s what I like about it a lot. It looks fun to me.

Falcon really trying to dip in the cutscene will always be funny to me
"Time to Blue Falcon outta--" FLASH!!

Also, did Snake really think his box would protect him? :laugh:

Last edited:

Chrono.

I really don't know what the deal is with Rhythm Heaven. They had a scrapped fighter in Smash 4, and a Smash Run enemy, and trophies, and two songs. Here, I don't see much so far. All we've seen of Rhythm Heaven in Ultimate so far is Spirits of Chorus Kids, Karate Joe, and the Reporter & Wrestler. I find it really strange that the series doesn't at least have an assist trophy or remixed song shown off at this point. I really hope songs from the series at least get in base game, and more than two this time. I really don't think Sakurai is done with tackling the series, but I also don't know how likely a character will be for DLC unless a new game is announced for the Switch soon. Perhaps it'll be a Mewtwo situation where they're scrapped for one game, and don't make it until the next game's DLC?
Stuff like this makes me wish I was a fly on the wall for Smash development, would be interesting to see which characters they actually worked on but eventually scrapped and why.

There's no doubt at this point that RH was meant to have a bigger presence in 4 than it had, I think the reason Ultimate skipped on it was because of the shorter dev time it had. But it's hard to say why were they scrapped in the first place.

Hopefully whatever the RH character was meant to be, they have a better fate than Dixie. Away in Brawl's scrapped files for over 10 years now.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
if we are expecting all 3rd party what are the chances smt gets a character.
Hmmm, one percent.

An SMT character would check off any and all boxes regarding fan rules regarding history, nintendo ties, innovation, etc, except THE most important one:
popularity.

As much as I rant and rave about the series and how it should be played by ****ING EVERYONE... it's incredibly niche and appeals to an extremely small subset of people. While this wouldn't be too bad on its own as it IS iconic and historically significant in the JRPG fanbase, it also faces direct competition from Atlus's far more popular sister series: Persona. For an SMT character to get in, Sakurai would have to choose the less popular, less marketable series, that he hasn't mentioned before in interviews. If we were ever going to get a Megaten character in Smash, it's probably going to be Jack Frost followed by Yu Narukami.

Won't stop me from pushing a character from that series with everything I have though, which is why I carry around this big-ass advertisement for my support thread.

Thank you for attending my TEDx talk, the giftshop is in my signature below.

Last edited:

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
So how do you think they'll spice up Master Hand for this classic mode? Give Master Core more forms? Crazy Core?

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I'd like to be proven wrong but I think the most obvious choice for one of the 5 slots is Edelgard from Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

Just like last game, we've had at least one new Mario, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem fighter. I would expect the same thing to happen here.

The DLC timeline is 2019-2020, guess which game comes out between that time? Fire Emblem: Three Houses. And factor in Corrin who was added into Smash 4 solely to promote Fire Emblem: Fates.
I think Rex Mii Costume and Springman AT showed that Sakurai meant it when he said games released after 2015/2016 weren't getting in as playable characters

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
After time to think it over. I'm still disappointed and have lost all my hype for speculation this go around, but I've accepted Piranha Plant as a great Mario newcomer. I would've preferred any other number of henchmen than him, but what you gonna do.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
DLC is already decided at this point tho. Unless it's meant to coincide with the release of the game I doubt it.

Sakurai is averse to promotion characters (Corrin got a pass because dragon powers), and the "Mario, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem fighter" pattern is a fan made construct.
Unless DLC was already decided in terms of concepts

Like they want another FE character. Maybe they heard of Echoes at the beginning of development but switched it to Three Houses now that we know about it.

Probably not too likely though.

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
@FreeFox So I'm not allowed to hate any characters included in Smash or show any frustration, huh? Well, aren't you a little *******?

So I'm a loser because I don't want to buy Ultimate and have a different opinion than you? Grow the **** up.
Or you could just block + move on instead of further engaging with them and making yourself look far worse in the process.

Untouch

Smash Master
I really do hope we're getting a demo... I don't like near any of the demo stations, they aren't suitable replacements in the slightest.
There was a rumour of another general direct next week.... maybe they'll announce it there?

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
Oh yeah. Lucario's final smash is basically what we all expected. Aura Storm's back except now it's Mega Lucario.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Young Link has Triforce Slash.

Diddy does a drive-by bombardment with Rocketbarrel Barrage similar to Super Sonic.

Lucario transforms into Mega Lucario than does Brawl Aura Storm, as we guessed.

Yoshi calls a stampede of Yoshis based off of Melee's intro.

So there's four more Final Smashes down.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else think "World of Light" sounds like a Kingdom Hearts name? Also Piranha Plant is probably the character i'd main if Sora didn't get added as dlc. He looks really fun to play honestly.

D

Deleted member

Or you could just block + move on instead of further engaging with them and making yourself look far worse in the process.
The ignore button is the secret technique that no one seems to use for some reason.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Why does everyone obsess over this particular criticism I have of Ultimate?
Because it's a weird thing to obsess over and bring up all the time. I'm upset about Samus still having her Other M suit, too. But I just accept it and move on.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
YOU GUYS YOU GUYS YOU GUYS

LOOK AT THIS

YOU SEE THE ONE IN THE MIDDLE? THAT'S TSUBASA FROM TOKYO MIRAGE SESSIONS #FE, ALSO KNOWN AS SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI X FIRE EMBLEM.

THIS IS A CRUCIAL FIRST STEP TO AN SMT OR PERSONA CHARACTER. WE'VE BEEN ACKNOWLEDGED.

Idon Idon BUDDY WE'RE IN BUSINESS!!!
Just imagine if we got a demon as a playable character a la Piranha Plant, like Jack Frost. :laugh:

Noipoi

Howdy!
So, who's everyone's most anticipated newcomer?

For me, it's Incineroar...
Having chosen Litten in Sun Moon, he has a soft spot for me...

Honorable mentions to Inkling, Richter, and Isabelle
Inkling's still up there, but Incineroar was too hype. They're both my mains now. I mean look at this dude!
ss_6 (1).jpg

How could I not main him?

D

Deleted member

Me right now:
36364634634.PNG

Idon Idon b e t .

If we get SMT DLC, then you have to always compliment Smash Ultimate and love the game.

If we do not, well you can go with your everyday life.

Chrono.

Young Link has Triforce Slash.

Diddy does a drive-by bombardment with Rocketbarrel Barrage similar to Super Sonic.

Lucario transforms into Mega Lucario than does Brawl Aura Storm, as we guessed.

Yoshi calls a stampede of Yoshis based off of Melee's intro.

So there's four more Final Smashes down.
Peach has her usual Final Smash and Daisy has the same one.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
But what if Spirits can be profile pics tho
Well spirits are essentially the new trophies.
We got a Mewtwo and Lucas trophy in Smash 4 and still got them as DLC, so i'd say it matters little.
What i'm really worried about, is if his Mii costume is still in.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Spirits looks awesome.

Pirhana Plant is hilarious guys- try to see the humour!

All Star is streamlined so that we don't have to suffer though that arduous experience 75 times.

Online is better. It'll be better, especially if you make it to elite.

Challenges are back and they look great.

Ken and Incineroar both look really fun. The wrestler is especially charasmatic and Ken looks to have like, 15x more personality than Ryu (is that the same in Street Fighter?)

The final cut scene was soooo epic.

DLC! Five more characters!

Yeah, that Direct was amazing.

Coupled with the already fantastic looking Classic Mode... I'm so bloody hyped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom