• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
As of June 2018, the Switch has sold about 20 million units. Ultimate without DLC or any add-ons costs $60 USD and a rough equivalent in all other currencies. Ignoring the possibility that people (like myself) will buy a Switch just for Ultimate, and ignoring any profits to be made off of the resulting Switch Online memberships and DLC, that means there's 20 million people who can buy Ultimate.

If we assume that 80% of those people will at any point buy Ultimate (which isn't unreasonable at all considering previous Smash titles' success), then that's $960,000,000, or almost a billion dollars. Super Smash Bros Ultimate could be a billion-dollar game featuring plumbers, talking dogs, ten-year-old children who fight the universe and win, a guy who is both a pig and a Gerudo, a mythical dinosaur-ish thing, a balloon with eyeballs, and a crocodile.

Smash could make more money than Star Wars, and it'll do it with the cast of characters from your most recent LSD trip.

Untouch

Smash Master
I'm still a bit wary of the inclusion of HRC and Stage Builder.

We didn't see them in the direct, but I hope that doesn't mean they're cut.

Some of my favorite modes in both Brawl and Wii U.
I don't know about stage builder, but HRC seems really easy to add so I don't think it's cut.
It just wasn't something new, so they didn't go over it.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
i see we are still at the point where people are telling others they cant be disappointed in the new characters cause reasons. Look I get that some big fan requests got in but that doesnt mean everyone is happy with who all got in
This.
You can feel happy about the direct.
You can feel mad or sad about the direct.

You can't tell others how they should feel.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Yiga Clan Miis should at least be neat. Probably my favorite new costume so far for sure.
Deadpool may not have been in Infinity War, but at least he was able to make it into the other "most ambitious crossover".

Nintendo: 1
Marvel: 0
Playstation All Stars: -1

I'm just joking around pls don't hurt me Marvel fans.

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
The main issue I see is later down the line, how is anybody gonna play him at tourneys/lans???
Unless we get early switch consoles, not everyone will have access to the plant. This makes setups a lot harder to find, not to mention having to unlock a vast cast. Locking a FIGHTER to an “event time” is a very very poor route imo. Time locks should be saved for cosmetics such as costumes.
He won't be gone forever, if that's what you were suggesting. The limited time offer is just getting him for free. After that, you can buy him.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Genuinely?
I think all DLC are going to be third parties, Sakurai securing the rights for those juicy music, Stages and Characters explaining the price of 5.99 just like Third parties in Smash 4 instead of 4.99/3.99 for first party characters
I don't know if they will all be third parties, like I could see a couple fan requested characters (who didn't get damned as an AT, like Bandanna Dee, Celica, Impa, etc.) and maybe one that Sakurai wants to implement kinda like the Piranha Plant, who ends up as an unconventional character.

However, I could see at least two of them being third parties though.
Maybe ones that people think are "missing" from the roster, that come from existing series. (Chun-Li, Geno, Tails, etc.) Or ones that haven't been "properly" represented, or represented at all. (KOS-MOS, Neku, Jill, Shantae, etc.)
I honestly think it's hard to say where it's going to go, especially with the one DLC character we know about.
There are only 5 DLC characters currently planned. They could make a second DLC season, or they could just stop right after their first one is finished. It could honestly go either way. I mean yeah sure Sakurai likes to talk about how he wants to take a break from working on Smash all the time, but he always keeps doing it anyway.
I honestly think we're going to get at least two seasons of DLC.
Beyond that, I'm not sure.
Plus, Sakurai did go on record in the past that he wants to go above and beyond when providing as much content as he can, especially with DLC.

The man definitely deserves a break though.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Bandanna Dee has yet to have a trophy in a Smash Bros Game, I will find it very odd if he doesn't have a spirit. (assuming spirits can be upgraded to dlc) I remember reading before people speculate that Sakurai dislikes the focus on him in recent Kirby games.

VGPhaze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
philms91
3DS FC
2664-2113-7159
It's safe to assume you'll still be able to buy it normally via the eshop after the period for which it is free.

Arcsys games like Persona 4 Arena, Guilty Gear, and Blazblue do similar things to this.
You can. It says on the website he’s available for purchase after he’s released. He? She? It?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I didn't notice this in the first viewing because I was focused on the taunts, but CHROM HAS AN OWAIN COLOR SWAP! :D

He can now dress like his nephew.

D

Deleted member

Here's my updated roster:

Untitled.png

Inkling and Piranha Plant (once it releases) are gonna be my focus, while Luigi will be my secondary. Isabelle, K. Rool, DS, and 'Dorf are also all characters I would like to learn. I plan on playing all 8 of these characters quite a bit.

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
Just finished the direct. Not going to lie, it was kind of a letdown.

Spirits mode looks average, the online likes REALLY sketchy, and I am missing the trophies...

I will say the Adventure Mode at the end of the direct looked pretty cool!

Incineroar is meh, but I'm happy for the lovely folks here who wanted him. Same with Ken. Piranha Plant is...very Sakurai. Not much of an opinion on it.

That said, I am bummed for Geno, Isaac, Shadow, Shantae fans and all the other fans of disconfirmed characters. I can 100% relate to how they must be feeling. I had that with the 50 Facts Extravaganza in Smash 4. Stage Boss Ridley. I still had a blast with Smash 4, but I was still disappointed. And that's ok! It's ok to be disappointed.

I know it's just a game--believe me I understand that, but at the same time these are characters that mean a lot to a lot of people. One of my favorite things about fictional characters is the meaning people attach to them. So yes, it's just a game. But at the same time it does feel bad. I know it's not much, my friends but...*hugs all of you*

Iridium

Smash Hero
There was a problem fetching the tweet

There's reasons why I'm maining all 3 Links...

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I really REALLY hope trophies get patched back in somehow.. But i still hope theyre gonna patch in the natdex into the alola games..

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
e
This.
exactly, and personally im disappointed with the newcomers. while i like dkc and metroid i have no real love for ridley or k rool. and castlevania is one of my favorite series but i hate simon as i find he is bland and richter is from a game ive only played a poor port of and he is not in sotn enough for me to care about him.

For me i just wanted a new character from an rpg thats not pokemon as its my favorite genre and I am a bit let down by the fact we didnt get one

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
Bandanna Dee has yet to have a trophy in a Smash Bros Game, I will find it very odd if he doesn't have a spirit. (assuming spirits can be upgraded to dlc) I remember reading before people speculate that Sakurai dislikes the focus on him in recent Kirby games.
I saw a regular Waddle Dee as a spirit......does that count?

Potato_

Smash Lord
I didn't notice this in the first viewing because I was focused on the taunts, but CHROM HAS AN OWAIN COLOR SWAP! :D

He can now dress like his nephew.
Did you see the Spirit match for Owain that just had Chrom constantly taunting in that color?

Was a great touch.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

There's reasons why I'm maining all 3 Links...
Yknow this kinda makes up for Young Link not having Fierce Deity as his FS.

Kinda.

beans

Smash Lord
This.

But Idon, what about all this new content that they totaly asked for and liked for sure.
They are just being ungratefull for a product they have to pay

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
are people really assuming we have seen every spirit in the game just from the direct and the website? with how little work they need compared to trophies i expect at ton more than what they have shown

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
Im makin' a bet right now...if Sora is announced as DLC instead of Geno at the VGA, ill drink a nice, cool, refreshing glass of water and maybe make myself some pasta with some green pesto sauce, maybe add a little bit of Parmesan with some home-made meatballs to top it all off.

Anyway yeah, lockin' my bet in, wish me luck.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm still confused how people can call this direct bad xD Just be thankful for what you got is what i say.
Day before Direct: Even if we don't get any more fighters, I'm still satisfied with the roster!
Direct Day: N-N-NOOOOOOOOOO SAKURAI **** YOU DO YOU EVEN CARE FOR YOUR FANS YOU MONSTER WHERES MY GENO FOR MY GAME AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom