• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Hey, did you know? You can collect JPEGs of a bunch of obscure characters now!

Kiran:
Kiran Lens.jpg

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Remember guys, Piranha Plant IS a gaming icon. He's Mario's 2nd nemesis from Super Mario Arcade in the early 80s. He's effectively the classic character, the retro pick, the left field character of choice and an additional Mario rep. As angry as everyone is, this crazy mook plant is more iconic than nearly everyone we were rooting for. And he looks mad fun to play actually.
The sad truth is that Piranha Plant is more iconic than Isaac, Geno and Banjo

T-Hell

Smash Lord
hopefully after the grinch debacle, everyone will learn to take sakurai's statements seriously...nah who am i kidding, this community loves to overhype itself. oh well.
Today I learned not to take Sakurai's "teases" into consideration anymore lolol. Or to look into chairs and whatnot and get all conspiracy theorist. I learned my lesson today.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I now think there's a higher chance that the Nintendo Live event may use a later build for sure now. At least the later events, according to Sakurai, will pretty much do so. I need to see some new characters soon, and we will.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
hopefully after the grinch debacle, everyone will learn to take sakurai's statements seriously...nah who am i kidding, this community loves to overhype itself. oh well.
What..? Actually the opposite, from now on i can expect the ****tiest option and the greatest option, the guy does whatever he wants. Theres no criteria for anything he does besides personal opinion.

MainJPW

M.T.A
I guess it doesn't really matter at this point, but I couldn't help but wonder about this.

I guess this is pretty much comfirmation, haha. Both the pose and the portrait match super closely. Interestingly, the taunt pose is actually mirrored. Was it changed, does it depends on your current direction, or was it fake and this is a coincidence.

I don't even know why I care anymore, but it's still fun in retrospective.
It’s a development screen so it doesn’t matter if it’s mirrored. I mean...those taunt poses are exactly the same and you can clearly make out his official portrait; NO coincidences here, mate.

I was always saying that leaked image was 100% real, lmao. Now everyone and Ryu can catch these hands:

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Is this Girl Inkling, or Porky from MOTHER? Cause I don't remember Inkling being so tall compared to everyone else
View attachment 174532
I don't know if you guys have ever seen the clay figures of Porky, but his hair looks really similar, and I kinda think I can make out his smile in the glow of the red eyes. He'd be about that height, too.
I'm reposting this because I don't think anybody noticed and I want someone to tell me I'm crazy for seeing this. It really looks like this person is too tall and their head is way too big to be an Inkling model.

Blu99

S***post King
Switch FC
SW-7236-2735-6407
I was buying this anyway, but Ken for some reason has me super pumped to play this game now

And while Incineroar annoyed me at first, I have warmed to him greatly, his character has a lot of personality, and the posing gimmick looks great for casual players

I hope the story mode is separate to Spirits because it has me confused, I'm unsure whether they are the same mode or not, and what exactly you have to do in either mode

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Y'all got burn by your own expectation. Thru the course of three games i have learnt to temper my expection.

Y'all ran wild with imagination and now u blame Sakurai? Br grateful. We got Ridley, K Rool and Simon dammit.

I'm only pissed that there's no demo and the lack of single players games like break the targets and a proper all star mode.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Digimon Survive is coming 2019 to Nintendo Switch

Maybe... Agumon as DLC?

*Hide in fear of getting hit by someone*

Blu99

S***post King
Switch FC
SW-7236-2735-6407
I was buying this anyway, but Ken for some reason has me super pumped to play this game now

And while Incineroar annoyed me at first, I have warmed to him greatly, his character has a lot of personality, and the posing gimmick looks great for casual players

I hope the story mode is separate to Spirits because it has me confused, I'm unsure whether they are the same mode or not, and what exactly you have to do in either mode
And Piranha Plant looks ****ing AWESOME

LetterO

Smash Lord
Y'all got burn by your own expectation. Thru the course of three games i have learnt to temper my expection.

Y'all ran wild with imagination and now u blame Sakurai? Br grateful. We got Ridley, K Rool and Simon dammit.

I'm only pissed that there's no demo and the lack of single players games like break the targets and a proper all star mode.
I had my expectations in the middle and still got disappointed by Sakurai basically deconfirming every fan favorite that isn’t Geno, Banjo, or Bandana Dee.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Does anyone here believe spirits are a deconfirmation for potential DLC or not really?
I really don't. I think I saw someone say King K. Rool was also seen as a Spirit in the direct.
Given the bazillions of iterations of Mario, Link, etc. it's unlikely that in the final game they won't have any versions of them as spirits.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
After this Smash game is finally done, I think it's time for us old-timers pass on the baton to younger fans and let them decide who to support. No offense, but I feel like our personal nostalgia and childhoods of yesteryear are hogging the spotlight when it comes to characters. We convince newer fans to support the same old (and sometimes obscure) characters like Isaac, Geno, Skull Kid, and Banjo, only to turn around and bash modern additions like Isabelle and Incineroar because "nobody wanted them".

We've had our time, but I think the new generation is ready to take over the Smash fanbase.
I agree so much with this, I know that I'll step aside at least, and have known that since June. Ridley was why I sought out the Smash community over a decade ago, and the only reason I've stuck around after his reveal is because I'm unbelievably hyped for the game and him finally getting in, so I've needed somewhere to get that hype out. I know for a fact that I can't keep my motivation up without him being in the running as I more or less skipped Smash 4 DLC speculation, and other than a passing comment here and there I expect it to be the same with Ultimate's DLC, because by then I'd rather play the game as I'm more interested in what's in it already than what's not.

I feel like I've given everything I possibly could to this community now, when the next Smash rolls around in ~6 years or so fresh ideas and perspectives will be needed all around, otherwise the community will just stagnate, and that would be awful, we can't just keep going in the same circles. I don't think I'll ever pull the plug entirely, because I adore Smash in general, but as far as speculating on a daily or even a regular basis at all I'm confident that this was it from me, on the 7th December I'll be able to hang up my hat knowing I've gotten everything I ever wanted from this series.

Last edited:

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
Why do I literally love pirhana plant so much...like you guys want a funny unique out of the box character. Like honestly impressed with the creativity of fleshing out a move set and stuff...don’t you think that’s exciting? My favorite characters werent in the game. But I’m okay with that. I think this game looks so fun. I’m REALLY hoping for more cutscenes from spirits, and also hoping that there are some
Like platforming challenges in some of them. Regardless, I wish I had the game today. Turn your frowns upside down everyone!!!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Wow I just watched it

That direct sucked hard

Ken and incineroar was the best thing only I didn’t even get to learn about other game modes

There’s probably even less adventure if that literally is the only modes atleast the unblockable amount is ridiculously big but I hope there’s plenty of modes to explore

Subspace 2.0 doesn’t look as exciting as last time no new enemy’s just regular old fights

Those 5 dlc characters better be Ridley and King K. Rool leveled

But really the game is still fantastic in general

Last edited:

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I honestly now think Bandana Dee is the most likely first party rep, everyone else is either an assist or spirits.

D

Deleted member

We better evolve from Grinch ****posts to Little Shop Of Horrors ****posts.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
People compared the grinch leak to the ESRB leak despite having almost nothing in common. I doubt anything will be learnt but at least, there is a leak balance. Now, people can also say "Its just like the grinch leak" when they dont believe something ignoring things like context just like it was done with ESRB during this speculation cycle.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
The problem is those statements were subjective. "Not too many newcomers" could mean anything. Compared to Smash 4? Compared to Smash 4 with DLC? Compared to any Smash game? We got 6 unique newcomers. 6. Only 2 from new series. I don't think I was expecting too much for wanting a bit more than that. Especially as none of the echo fighters appeal to me personally, and the only ones that would have, Shadow's an assist and Dixie's a sticker.

Subjective statements =/= objective statements. We can only interpret them, and our interpretations are based on our assumptions.

So, I think it's the opposite--if this taught me anything, I shouldn't take his statements seriously. I should expect the bare minimum regardless of what he says, and then I'll always be pleasantly surprised. :p

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So, LeakyPandy seemed to hint at a Dragon Quest reveal for Smash Bros. at the VGA's, what with the whole "politics" thing.

Spawn Wave, however, hints at Sora, and with Sakurai's Background Theory giving us two dice that appear to have a symbol from Kingdom Hearts...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I lowkey like the Labo costume and will probably use it for when I have to play as the Miis. :awesome:

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
I don't know why everyone assumes all the packs require a stage related to the character. Sure, that's true for 3rd parties. But a new ....Kirby character doesn't need to have a Kirby stage.

Also, looking at the Direct the first time I could swear I saw a Yuna spirit, but I need to watch again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom