• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Yes, that's how you print money my man.
And it makes sense

Kingdom Hearts 3, probably Sora will be revealed as the first DLC close the the launch date.

And Minecraft is getting a hole lot of Updates recently.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I assume Spirit Stickers will also come with DLC characters as well. So maybe Minecraft spirits will come with Banjo when you purchase him thus making the Minecraft part correct if Steve isn't playable.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
To be fair, I was mostly neutral on the leak and even said I was ready for Kencineroar to be the final characters yesterday or the day before.

I was prepared for this, ans I was only disappointed by the content that came after their reveal

D

Deleted member

Any third parties do.
But KH and Minecraft? You can hate it, love it, be indiferrent...That's a whole other type of deal.
I don’t hate them.

In fact, i want the two to join alongside Crash as DLC.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I think out of all the characters that didn't make it in Skull kid has it the worse. At least with the likes of Shadow, Geno, and Isaac there will always be a next time, since Shadow can always be made an echo as long as Sonic is around, Geno is recognized by Sakurai, and Isaac is the MC of his series. But with Skull Kid, he had both the ballot and MM 3D going for him and yet he didn't make it.
Zelda in general has been tossed to sidelines when it comes to Smash.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Steve as DLC?
Steve is the reason I can't decide if I'll buy the pass or not.
I don't feel like paying for Steve nor will I ever use the Rex costume.

But if I skip a character and buy the others I'll end up paying the same for less content...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
lmao stop arguing over leaks and can we actually try to get to the bottom of nintendo's apparent offical version of wavedashing?

That might be lowkey the biggest change if that image i was sent on discord can be confirmed and possibly understand what nintendo's definition is (Because iirc the demo build has it but it's really weird like you gotta shorthop to do it.)

The grinch leak couldnt be debunked decently, and it was just a matter of waiting. Stop arguing and actually talk about the game now.
First off, stop trying to police conversation.
Second off, what image are you talking about exactly? As far as I know nothing new in regards to airdodging was shown. Even if there was wavedashing, wouldn't it be ineffectual due to the extreme amount of endlag on the new airdodges and the new universal dodge-staling mechanic?

TheoreticalMyth

Smash Cadet
I'm really pulling for it, but I highly doubt they are going to make more than 5 fighters for dlc. Until all are released and they announce another pack, I'm going to be much more conservative with my guesses and stuff from now on, thanks to the grinch.

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman
Man. Today is just amazingly depressing. There is no worse feeling than supporting a character for 10 years, being strung along due to them not being deconfirmed early for no ****ing reason, and then watching them being unceremoniously dumped into the Assist Trophy pile so they can't even be DLC.

What a **** way to end Smash Ultimate advertising.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I think it's funny how people are already saying the single player content is disappointment compared to Smash 4's. As much as I love that game, Smash 4's single player was absolute garbage and its only saving graces were Smash Run (3DS exclusive) and Master Core (trapped within an awful version of classic mode), and both of those were still controversial in their own right. I know this is subjective, but I don't see how having a proper adventure mode doesn't make its single player better by default unless they somehow really mess it up.
Yeah, Smash 4 is probably the second worse Single Player experience if we're comparing all the Smash games.

And it only beats out Smash 64 because Smash 64 is incredibly bare-bones.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
The game's also 10 euros more expensive in the Netherlands than the average AAA release. I can imagine the enormous budget played a factor
I know a lot's been packed in that game, and it's Smash n all, but when you know that Red Dead Redemption 2 is only $59, Nintendo's asking a lot. I don't think Smash surpasses RDR2 in quantity. Especially knowing that Ultimate is at least 65% updated Smash 4. Also, if want all of it you'll end up paying $105 with DLCs $110 if you don't get the offer.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
a big issue people are having with the Plant is that it’s just taking Pokemon’s schtick more or less.

The Pokemon are the stars of their franchise so having one of their kind apiece really fits. The Mario series meanwhile has had a one of a kind bloke here all this time, but now it’s got one creature out of thousands. It’s similar to Yoshi, but Yoshi was a costar in his debut, and the Yoshi tribe seems to be interconnected and more or less the same set of Yoshis within that tribe in their own games.

I’d guaranteed Captain Toad or King Boo would receive not nearly as much criticism as the Plant here, because they’re established characters with goals and quirks. What is this Plant, is it a Ptooie from Ice Land, or a Putrid Pirahna, or what.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I will be disappointed if Banjo-Kazooie don't make it in through DLC, but being honest Steve would make me happy as well.

Hopefully we can get both; hopefully Banjo-Kazooie will at least be on the N64 Classic.

bountyhunta87

Smash Cadet
Oh sorry, yeah, I misread it then. Either way, I'm not sorry for being Team Real because the leak is ridiculous. If somebody set up those circumstances then they are nuts and also smart, but dumb nevertheless for putting Houdini level sleight of hand talent to such useless ends. I think it's so ridiculous that there must be a reason it happened. Omni's leak made him a premiere Nintendo vlogger. What could this possibly have gotten Eric Bricard? So strange.
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/437326689#p437327562

To me he is just a asshole, he overhyped people with false expectations giving them exactly what they wanted.
If something is too good to be true, in my experience it isn't,
And even tho I was always teamfake the ******* did had me second guessing my own judgemnt with most the smash youtubers claiming 100% certain that it was real and always providing more details claiming the validity of it (like "my insider from microsoft").
That said I would preffer if nobody could predict spoil or leak the final 5 characters or stages, I wanna be surpirsed with whatthefukness lol.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
So, has the Grinch leaker come out and said anything yet? I'd love to see the full banner in high quality

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I'm not sure if people only play it because of a completely aesthetic collectible.
Collecting stuff was the fun of classic mode since Melee.

Now it's just an arcade mode with no goodies like Smash 64. Bah humbug.

D

Deleted member

how you guys feel if the DLC was:

Sora and KH stage

Steve and Minecraft Stage

Crash Bandicot and Crash Stage

Solaire and Dark Souls Stage

Waluigi and Bowser castle stage (the fan pleaser pack)
I would like it.

Interested on Crash, Waluigi, Bowser Castle, Solaire, Sora and the Minecraft stage.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think it's funny how people are already saying the single player content is disappointment compared to Smash 4's. As much as I love that game, Smash 4's single player was absolute garbage and its only saving graces were Smash Run (3DS exclusive) and Master Core (trapped within an awful version of classic mode), and both of those were still controversial in their own right. I know this is subjective, but I don't see how having a proper adventure mode doesn't make its single player better by default unless they somehow really mess it up.
3DS was kinda better...?

Though, yeah, agreed, Ultimate got that better than the last game and possibly even better than Melee. Brawl, maybe.

Zeox

Smash Champion
For me the worst part was the reveal of no trophies and instead a bunch of stickers... I hope at least they have descriptions or something... but I dunno... I spend hours of other smash games looking at the 3D models and reading the descriptions...

D

Deleted member

Not sure how I feel about the dlc practices. I’m glad there’s no preorder bonuses, but ehhh on them not revealing the characters in the season pass, and season passes in general.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I think you're on the right track with DLC third parties. I think that most of them will be.

And part of that is just due to the first party pool being absolutely gutted after this direct! Like there's just Elma, Waddle Dee and probably a few others left, but not many.

I can see a 4:1 split - 4 third parties and 1 first party.
I feel like it'll be mostly through recent relevancy:

- Sora (KH3)
- Banjo (Possibly N64 classic, biased opinion)
- Edelgard (Fire Emblem has a chance of getting a spot due to Three Houses I feel but who knows at this point)
- Dante (biased opinion; I wanna kick a Bayo players ass with him lol)/Monster Hunter (a massive resurgence in popularity everywhere)- I feel like Capcom is going to get a 4th rep, but who knows.
- Lloyd/Yoshimitsu (me being biased)/Heihachi (top Bamco Characters and they have none save for Pac-man. These are their biggest ones.

All in all, I have no ****ing clue what he's chosen lol. Save for Sora. I'm like 80% confident in him

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Even if I couldn't get what I wanted, ultimately this hype cycle has been really fun to be a part of. And the meme game was top tier.

Also I can kind of see how people would misinterpret my piranha plant avatar hardcore. So oopsies. Gonna change it to better reflect my period of mourning.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Alright, so I'm gonna continue the stage-to-character comparisons I did a while back, but now Ultimate pre-DLC is set in stone...

Once again, :ultmiifighters: and FD and Battlefield stages are excluded as they don't represent franchises...

1: :mario64:(2/2):dk64::link64::samus64::yoshi64::kirby64::fox64:(1/1)
.5: :pikachu64:(1/2)
0: :ness64::falcon64:(0/1)
3: :dkmelee::yoshimelee::kirbymelee:(3/1)
2: :samusmelee::nessmelee::falconmelee:(2/1)
1: :foxmelee:(2/2):icsmelee::gawmelee:(1/1)
.8: :mariomelee:(4/5)
.5: :pikachumelee:(2/4)
.4: :linkmelee:(2/5)
0: :marthmelee:(0/2)
Animal Crossing, Nintendo DS, Electroplankton (1/0)
2: :yoshi2::falcon:(2/1)
1.5: :mario2:(6/4):dk2::samus2:(3/2)
1: :ness2:(2/2):popo::gw::pit::wario::snake::sonic::olimar:(1/1)
.67: :kirby2::fox:(2/3)
.6: :link2:(3/5)
.5: :pikachu2:(3/6):marth:(1/2)
0: :rob:(0/1)
Nintendo DS, Balloon Fight, Nintendogs, Find Mii, Tomodachi (1/0)
1: :4yoshi::4ness::4falcon::4gaw::4wario::4sonic::4olimar::4villager::4megaman::4littlemac::4pacman::4shulk:(1/1)
.71: :4mario:(5/7)
.5: :4dk::4samus::4fox:(1/2)
.4: :4link::4pikachu:(2/5)
.33: :4kirby::4pit:(1/3)
.25: :4marth:(1/4)
0: :4rob::4wiifit::4duckhunt:(0/1)
Nintendo DS, Balloon Fight, Nintendogs, Find Mii, Tomodachi (1/0)
1: :4mario:(7/7):4yoshi::4falcon::4gaw::4wario::4sonic::4olimar::4villager::4megaman::4littlemac::4pacman::4shulk::4duckhunt::4ryu::4cloud::4bayonetta:(1/1)
.67: :4kirby:(2/3)
.6: :4link:(3/5)
.5: :4dk::4samus::4fox::4ness:(1/2)
.33: :4pikachu:(2/6):4pit:(1/3)
.17: :4marth:(1/6)
0: :4rob::4wiifit:(0/1)
Pilotwings, Wii Sports, Wrecking Crew (1/0)
2: :4yoshi::4villager:(2/1)
1.5: :4dk:(3/2)
1: :4samus::4fox:(2/2):4ness::4falcon::4gaw::4wario::4sonic::4olimar::4megaman::4wiifit::4littlemac::4pacman::4shulk::4duckhunt:(1/1)
.86: :4mario:(6/7)
.67: :4kirby::4pit:(2/3)
.6: :4link:(3/5)
.5: :4marth:(2/4)
.4: :4pikachu:(2/5)
0: :4rob:(0/1)
Pilotwings, Wii Sports, Wrecking Crew Miiverse (1/0)
2: :4yoshi::4villager:(2/1)
1.5: :4dk:(3/2)
1.14: :4mario:(8/7)
1: :4link:(5/5):4kirby:(3/3):4samus::4fox:(2/2):4falcon::4gaw::4wario::4sonic::4olimar::4megaman::4wiifit::4littlemac::4pacman::4shulk::4duckhunt::4ryu::4cloud::4bayonetta:(1/1)
.67: :4pit:(2/3)
.5: :4ness:(1/2)
.33: :4pikachu::4marth:(2/6)
0: :4rob:(0/1)
Nintendo DS, Electroplankton, Balloon Fight, Nintendogs, Find Mii, Tomodachi, Pilotwings, Wii Sports, Wrecking Crew (1/0)
4: :ultyoshi:(4/1)
3: :ultfalcon:(3/1)
2.25: :ultmario:(18/8)
2: :ultkirby:(6/3):ultness:(4/2):ultwario::ultsonic::ultolimar:(2/1)
1.5: :ultlink:(9/6):ultvillager:(3/2)
1.33: :ultdk:(4/3)
1: :ultsamus:(4/4):ultfox::ultpit:(3/3):ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultsnake::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultpacman::ultshulk::ultduckhunt::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultinkling:(1/1)
.7: :ultpikachu:(7/10)
.5: :ultryu::ultsimon:(1/2)
.43: :ultmarth:(3/7)
0: :ultrob:(0/1)
Nintendo DS, Electroplankton, Balloon Fight, Nintendogs, Find Mii, Tomodachi, Pilotwings, Wii Sports, Wrecking Crew (1/0)
4: :ultyoshi:(4/1)
3: :ultfalcon:(3/1)
2: :ultmario:(18/9):ultkirby:(6/3):ultness:(4/2):ultwario::ultsonic::ultolimar:(2/1)
1.5: :ultlink:(9/6):ultvillager:(3/2)
1.33: :ultdk:(4/3)
1: :ultsamus:(4/4):ultfox::ultpit:(3/3):ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultsnake::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultpacman::ultshulk::ultduckhunt::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultinkling:(1/1)
.7: :ultpikachu:(7/10)
.5: :ultryu::ultsimon:(1/2)
.43: :ultmarth:(3/7)
0: :ultrob:(0/1)

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Good enough, I guess Ike will just have to be the Substitute Isaac again with his yellow cape.. Oh and it makes sense too because Ike is short for Isaac.

Ike.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly, as petty as this may sound, I'm glad Smash speculation is offically dead for now. Hopefully people will be more sane from here on out.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Yeah. Sorry, I didn't intend this comment towards you or anything. This fanbase just drives me over the edge sometimes.

I fully understand the drive behind character support, but some people here are acting like their lives are over becasue the Grinch is dead and it's ridiculous.
The Grinch leak existed for this exact purpose. It was meant to get people's hopes up needlessly and then cause disappointment and outrage when all was finally revealed.

I tried explaining why it was most likely fake multiple times, but apparently it was convincing enough to make people dead-set on its legitimacy.

Let this be a lesson to everyone. No matter how convincing something may seem, never fully believe it until there's real confirmation. Always keep reasonable expectations. Hope for the best, but always expect less.

Correction.

They played the community like a damn fiddle.

Speaking of Chibi-Robo, I thought the Chibi-Robo Mii Costume was cute.

About Geno, Isaac,, Banjo et al, even if there's no intention of making them playable. I... suppose there's always petitions or something.

Not that petitions are guaranteed to work or anything, the only successful gaming petitions I can think of are Operation Rainfall and Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth.
The Chibi-Robo Mii costume made me question reality. Both my characters are playable in some form. Not as full unique fighters with their own moveset and all, but more than nothing. I don't know how this happened, but I feel blessed.

I've always considered Banjo more likely for DLC than the base game anyways. That way his licensing is neat and separate, rather than having Sakurai and co. try and work all that out while juggling all the other third-party content. I think Geno might be DLC for the same reason.

As for Isaac, months ago Reggie confirmed that Sakurai is aware of the outcry over Waluigi. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that Waluigi could become a fighter if the demand is truly high enough. Isaac could be the same way, depending on how things go. Especially if there's apparently a different version of him that could be used in contrast to the AT version.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
First off, stop trying to police conversation.
Second off, what image are you talking about exactly? As far as I know nothing new in regards to airdodging was shown. Even if there was wavedashing, wouldn't it be ineffectual due to the extreme amount of endlag on the new airdodges and the new universal dodge-staling mechanic?
wavedashing.png

This image which i literally just posted for starters. I've been trying to track it down on the direct but I can't

Secondly it's not policing when there's nothing anyone can do about the roster and crying about it is drowning out actual gameplay talk

Last edited:

McSpanker

Smash Cadet
Not having trophies on top of everything else just made this direct pretty bad imo. Like damn, that was half the fun of single player smash bros. But nah, instead we get a mid-level generic enemy from mario lol.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
how you guys feel if the DLC was:

Sora and KH stage

Steve and Minecraft Stage

Crash Bandicot and Crash Stage

Solaire and Dark Souls Stage

Waluigi and Bowser castle stage (the fan pleaser pack)
I'd buy Sora and Crash. One positive note from this Direct is I'll probably only spend $72 total without having to buy season passes, amiibos, etc. :lol:

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Zelda in general has been tossed to sidelines when it comes to Smash.
God tell me about it. 17 years since Melee and all we have is 3 characters, the MAIN VILLAIN beng a semi clone of a made up moveset, and a younger version of the main character. They couldn't even give Young Link a fierce deity final smash when it is so obvious!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom