• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
What a bunch of babies, threatening to not get the game because the leak that was TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE turned out to be fake.

Where is that Control Your Hype thread when you need it...yikes.

I wanted it to be real too, Banjo and Isaac are in my top 5 wanted newcomers, but as real as it seemed it was never 100%, no need to be mad at Sakurai (Who once again did an amazing job, this direct was awesome), and no reason to hate on the joke character, who is the best WTF since Wii Fit Trainer, Ken and Incineroar weren't surprising (The trailer and both fighters look great tho) but the plant sure was.

tl;dr: Stop being mad because you guys couldn't help but get your expectations too high, I hope those who are salty learned a good life lesson here.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Still no Piranha Plant was obvious all along posts?
No, but someone like thirty pages back linked to a 4chan post that predicted Ken, Incineroar and Piranha Plant "in some sort of car like Bowser Jr." back on Sep. 24th that no one took seriously.

Pretty impressive if he guessed that.

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Unfortunately, Skull Kid is on their site as an AT. He's dead.
Oh! I didn't check the site, I just went through the Direct. Thanks for the info. What a dream crusher Direct XD
there are spirits of the fighters in game, and you also forgot geno for spirit
Umm, this needs to be looked at, but, I didn't notice that. Are they of "in-game" fighters spirit or just an old image? Like say for example an 8-bit Mario, that doesn't count, but if it's the Smash Mario then that's another story.
Yeah I knew about Geno through an image and since I wasn't sure if it's fake, I posted this before making sure so I didn't include Geno.
Hmm, was Square grinchy with Sakurai or he just had it with Geno? It's really hard to imagine that he's out and not even hinted as DLC. I personally don't care or want him but Sakuari said he wante him.. it's either he couldn't, or got past it. weird.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
What a bunch of babies, threatening to not get the game because the leak that was TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE turned out to be fake.

Where is that Control Your Hype thread when you need it...yikes.

I wanted it to be real too, Banjo and Isaac are in my top 5 wanted newcomers, but as real as it seemed it was never 100%, no need to be mad at Sakurai (Who once again did an amazing job, this direct was awesome), and no reason to hate on the joke character, who is the best WTF since Wii Fit Trainer, Ken and Incineroar weren't surprising (The trailer and both fighters look great tho) but the plant sure was.

tl;dr: Stop being mad because you guys couldn't help but get your expectations too high, I hope those who are salty learned a good life lesson here.
I'm not seeing anyone though?

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
See here's the thing: The fact that the box theory and the insiders were right all along is actually making me depressed because this means that, like it or not, their credibility is 100% accurate. They're gonna keep leaking **** because people want them to, and theories like the box theory are going to keep coming true because everything sucks and nothing matters.
The depression is setting in, if I'm honest. I'm starting to accept the fact that Smash hype is dead and that the DLC season is likely the last time we'll ever really experience it.

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
So... Sakurai didnt give a lot of details about the adventure mode huh?

I think it will be similar to the Melee one.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I still think it's going to be revealed later down the line... just because of what Trinen said.
(He said they have plans to talk about the demo later on when plans are concrete)
Nah, if there was a demo, that would've been mentioned instead of the tour demos. Which was an odd thing to waste time on, especially at the end, since those have been going on for over four months, and it's not like they added any new or urgent locations.

D

Deleted member

Here’s an example of what i found alongside some K.Rool fans:

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Nintendo mishandled the hype and didn't spread out their biggest announcements well. Here's how they should have handled character announcement to to spread out the most exciting additions.

Announcement - Inklings
Good first reveal and expected newcomer. The hype of the announcement itself was enough.

E3- Daisy and Ridley
They still had it right here. Introduce echoes so having one makes sense. Ridley was a big reveal so having him here makes sense.

8/8 Direct- Isabelle (No AC announcement), Ken, Incineroar
Extremely exciting direct that would have been fine with some mostly meh additions. All the information was hype enough.

General Direct- Simon/Richter Belmont
In it's small segment, this would have created some hype with third party characters. Big enough to tide people over for the ensuing drought.

11/11 Direct- Chrom, Dark Samus, King K Rool
You have your other huge reveal in K. Rool and some echoes some people would be excited for. Good hype for the last stretch.

If they would have done it this way, I think people would have been much less disappointed with this direct and the hype cycle in general. They just put all their heavy hitters out early and the end felt underwhelming.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
So... Sakurai didnt give a lot of details about the adventure mode huh?

I think it will be similar to the Melee one.
Bwuh? There was a huge overworld shown and bosses. It literally is anything but the melee adventure mode. It's not even similar to SSE either.

TheMilkmann

Smash Apprentice
I can feel the salt flowing here, I honestly have no complaints about the direct, I find the concept of Spirits interesting. Pirahna plant may as well be my main, since it came out of absolute nowhere and was a decent surprise.

ChrisJamie

Smash Cadet
Wait, I am getting confused with some of the posts, Spirits and World of Light are the same thing right? I see some are treating them as if they were separate modes.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Top 5 characters for DLC:

1. Medusa from Kid Icarus
2. Matthew from Golden Sun
3. Elma from Xenoblade
4. Square rep ( Geno from Mario RPG or Sora from Kingdom Hearts )
5. Steve from Mincraft

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So Sakurai did say they had already planned dlc right??? Or am I crazy?

It really throws a wrench in dlc speculation because the assumption was any game that was too late (ARMS & Xenoblade) and new releasing games (Gen 8 & Three Houses). This however might not be the case....also no echoes so that throws out a lot of easy pickings for predictions.

Honestly outside of Bandana Dee I'm struggling to find any 1st Party characters....I hope it's not 4-5 3rd parties but I can absolutely see that.
Spring Man and (seemingly) Rex are deconfirmed, but I don't think all is lost for newer first-parties. Just because DLC is possibly pre-planned doesn't mean Sakurai isn't considering characters from future games. I mean, Corrin still got in, didn't he? This situation isn't any different than that IMO, so Gen 8 and Three Houses are fair game.

And on a more personal note, since none of the Champions became ATs, you'd better believe I'm supporting them up until the last DLC character. I know my odds aren't great because we already have a BotW stage, but that ain't stopping me.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
See here's the thing: The fact that the box theory and the insiders were right all along is actually making me depressed because this means that, like it or not, their credibility is 100% accurate. They're gonna keep leaking **** because people want them to, and theories like the box theory are going to keep coming true because everything sucks and nothing matters.
The depression is setting in, if I'm honest. I'm starting to accept the fact that Smash hype is dead and that the DLC season is likely the last time we'll ever really experience it.
Is the box theory REALLY right though? Doesn't dlc deconfirm it?

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Wait, I am getting confused with some of the posts, Spirits and World of Light are the same thing right? I see some are treating them as if they were separate modes.
As far as we know, Spirits has that "wanted board" kind of thing going for it, while World of Light has a interactive overworld

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I've been 'over' Smash hype by the time Brawl was released. I don't find the waiting or speculation period fun. It can result in months of wondering that leads to crushing disappointment. At this point I'd more call it 'Smash Anxiety' then Smash Hype.

OreoSmasher777

Smash Cadet
I guess ill write pros and cons for myself

Pros:

The plant: Remember Melle when pichu was added then ROB and MGAW then WFT well forget those we have the plant now. Im maining this fella.

Ken: #BLONDES4LIFE The original clone gets in even tho I would have liked Chun Li

Multiple master hands: If you thought master hand was hard then good luck with this.

DLC: More characters for this game.

Meh:

Incinaroar: Eh Hes alright his model looks decent and those moves are.... cool. Im kinda sad we didnt get a attack that came from his belt like in the games

Cons:

Spirits: I hate it

Overall ill rate it 6/10 We could have got more newcomers but eh

Oh wait I forgot da sweet deconfirms. Isaac and shadow: Never liked them Skull kid: You didnt even put them in the direct

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Reminder that Ken looks better in Smash than in any Street Fighter game released.
Well, any 3D Street Fighter game.

Don't diss SF3 era Ken.

Ken.jpg

He looked pretty cool before he got hit in the face with a frying pan, or whatever the hell happened in SFV.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I feel like Nintendo mishandled the hype and didn't spread out their biggest announcements well. Here's how they should have handled character announcement to to spread out the most exciting additions.

Announcement - Inklings
Good first reveal and expected newcomer. The hype of the announcement itself was enough.

E3- Daisy and Ridley
They still had it right here. Introduce echoes so having one makes sense. Ridley was a big reveal so having him here makes sense.

8/8 Direct- Isabelle (No AC announcement), Ken, Incineroar
Extremely exciting direct that would have been fine with some mostly meh additions. All the information was hype enough.

General Direct- Simon/Richter Belmont
In it's small segment, this would have created some hype with third party characters. Big enough to tide people over for the ensuing drought.

11/11 Direct- Chrom, Dark Samus, King K Rool
You have your other huge reveal in K. Rool and some echoes some people would be excited for. Good hype for the last stretch.

If they would have done it this way, I think people would have been much less disappointed with this direct and the hype cycle in general. They just put all their heavy hitters out early and the end felt underwhelming.
It's not practical from a business perspective, since you'd want people to pre-order the game. Also there's no way they were going to reveal Belmonts in a general direct.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm honestly really happy that, of all characters, Wrys is a Spirit.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
They're separate modes.
Spirits is where you fight randomized enemies with their own spirits. You're supposed to claim them and add them to your own "team".
World of Light is more of an "adventure mode" where you fight against bosses and probably how you unlock the bulk of the roster. The spirits are still in the mode, but it's apart of the campaign as a power up and backdrop.

Basically spirits are used across both modes, but one is more about randomized battles while the other is a fully fleged adventure mode.

Last edited:

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Let's be real though, ultimate is NOT the last Smash bros, so reguardless we'll get who we want eventually...I hope

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
All the master hands are society taking away creativity and happiness for innocent people, and Kirby represents Sakurai attempting to escape society’s wrath and save imagination, and when Shulk gave Kirby Mondo Speed, it was representing that the game he’s created is giving him the position to save Nintendo

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
So, Team Cautiously Optimistic was right to be cautious.

While I am slightly disappointed (especially for Isaac), I actually found Incineroar to be surprisingly cool looking. I look forward to playing it.

As to Piranha Plant, I actually found it pretty cool, too, and it looks like a lot of fun. A crazy but fun choice. Those of us who support Bandana Waddle Dee, rejoice, because a Piranha Plant isn't even a Goomba with a hat... it's just a Goomba! So Hat Goomba derision can go away.

Spirits looks complicated. Kind of boring. I'm a little confused about how it relates to the story trailer. Are those the same mode?

Do you think being a Spirit will prevent being DLC? It seems you'd be disconfirming almost every character possible if so.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
You know, while this Direct wasnt the end all finale everyone wanted, I actually wasnt disappointed. And its not because I got what I wanted or anything (prior to this direct I couldn't care less about Ken, and was either/or on Incineroar), its just...well, personally, what more could I have wanted?

After Wolf, Snake, the Ice Climbers, King K. Rool, Castlevania, and even Ridley, this game had already won me over a dozen times over.

Isn't it better that the real big hype was gotten out of the way early enough? It spared us having to endure torture-inducing "will they/wont they make it in" speculation and forum-fighting over the biggest additions (K. Rool and Ridley)?

Which character on the confirmed, final base roster should have been saved for last, who could have had that big final impact?

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
Are Spirit and World of light not the same thing? I felt like it seemed as though the spirits segment was explaining how it worked and world of light at the end was the overworld and how it all comes together. It was so confusing how they did it, but I got the impression it is the same mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom