• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
So uh, remember that guy who demanded we apologize to all the insiders who said the Grinch leak was fake?
Are we gonna do that or...?
I never personally attacked any of them, though I didn't believe any (except Verge, who I just thought had great sources up until the end, I was wrong there for sure) and I was wrong in a few cases - Mystic was full of ****, leakypanda was full of ****, unfortunately papagenos was even wrong - not all were right, and of all people somehow Emily Rogers was the most right (alongside Verge, who is more credible at this point in time overall for smash)

I still find it suspicious that gamexplain shied away from the leak, but it is what it is and somehow they were right and I (alongside many other people) were wrong.

Nobody called the piranha plant though besides some random 4chan users both in late september and one last night that were both ignored, so nobody had the full picture that is a known insider. Who knows who the 4chan people are, they could be literally anyone.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Would pre-ordering from GameStop give you Piranha Plant?
Yes. All that's required is that you purchase your copy then redeem it for Gold Coins on your Switch before January 30th (someone check me on the date, don't feel like looking it up).

So you don't technically even need to preorder.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
So let's discuss what happened to the grinch leak Characters:
Skull kid(?): An assist
Shadow: an assist
Geno: a soul sticker
Issac: an assist

Only two characters who didn't appear are banio and the biker character. So in a way it was legit ;p

I'm sorry for joking about this.
Geno was an icon for the player tag, not a Spirit.
Also, I wouldn't go as far to say that Spirits are deconfirmed, they're just practically glorified trophies.
Mewtwo and Lucas got trophies in Smash 4, yet they still made it on the roster through DLC.

Now Assist Trophies on the other hand, I hate to say it, but I doubt they're going to be realized as characters.

Last edited:

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
I can't wait to feed Geno and get powered up by him

And then realize that isn't the real Geno.

Bring the real Geno to me!

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Hey, you guys think that’ll be the only fighter pack dlc they’ll do? I hope not. I hope there’s more to come!
Best to assume that, yes, this will be the only fighter pack.

Is it possible we'll get a second? Definitely. This one is slated to last until 2020 apparently, which is sensible. 5 characters throughout 2019(likely beginning in February or March) means we'd probably finish out early-mid 2020.

Depending on the success, I could see Nintendo wanting Sakurai to do another pack, especially since we probably won't see another Smash until the next console, which won't be for a long time considering how the Switch is new and can be milked for years to come.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Yeah. That's the point.

Incineroar was sent in beforehand because The Pokemon Company was working on Generation 7 in 2015. They were not working on Generation 8.

2015 is when the cut off for the first Fighter Pack was determined.

Therefore, a Generation 8 Pokemon is very unlikely for the first Fighter Pack.
Oh I must have missed have missed the 2015 cut off point thing, I thought they said the DLC characters were still being figured out

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
By the way, if you thought the beams that vaporized all your favorite video game characters looked familiar, there's a good reason why.

It was basically Super Buu's Genocide Rain.

D

Deleted member

Reminder that Ken looks better in Smash than in any Street Fighter game released.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
One thing I want to remind everyone is that Piranha Plant is FREE.

I think it should go without saying that the better options are being held off for paid DLC. When choosing a free character, I think Sakurai was intentionally looking for someone weird and unexpected he could experiment with. It'd be his last chance to do so, unless he tried it with paid DLC and got twice as much backlash.

So instead of looking at the situation like, "It's so stupid that Piranha Plant got in over 'X' and 'Y' as a playable character!", think of it as free little bonus character you weren't expecting.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I honestly don't think people who are a bit unsatisfied with the final base-game roster should be labeled as ungrateful. Even ignoring the leak altogether, newcomers such as Shadow and Isaac were hugely requested and Zelda hasn't received a new playable character besides the different iterations of Link in almost two decades. The lack of satisfaction stems from the apparent absurdity of some of the choices related to the roster.

I don't blame Sakurai for choosing to limit the number of base-game newcomers given how much effort developing this game has required, but choosing to make them Assist Trophies once again feels... bad. I (and many others, I'm sure) would have preferred them to be DLC instead of Assist Trophies. I don't know, Sakurai's choice doesn't make any sense to me, since it's a bad choice even from a financial standpoint (they would have sold like hotcakes).

Basically, I believe people would have been less salty if Isaac and Shadow hadn't been in the game at all (until a potential DLC announcement), since it would have left the door open for them to be added later. Right now, it looks like their fate is sealed, which is a huge shock considering the fact that a character like Piranha Plant was announced to be playable. Why have the Ballot if you're going to ignore some of the top choices?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Piranha Plant himself, he's just the victim of bad timing and I would have been more than happy to see him included knowing that we could still get these highly-requested characters in the future. I think it's reasonable for some people to be slightly annoyed by the fact that Sakurai has chosen to make a generic enemy playable (completely generic, this time, unlike Bandana Dee) while relegating important protagonists/antagonists to Assist Trophy status once again. At the same time, I don't think comparing Piranha Plant to R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch or Wii Fit Trainer is fair, since they are either the main characters of their games or, in R.O.B.'s case, a unique moment in Nintendo's history.

Basically, had very popular characters like Shadow and Isaac been part of the DLC season, this game could have been perfect for more people than it's gonna be in this timeline. That alone seems like a good enough reason to be disappointed today, despite Sakurai's work which we all respect. Tomorrow, we know that we'll still have the biggest game in the series, we know we're still gonna have 103 stages, countless characters and so on, but we also know what we will probably never have in this same extraordinary and once-in-a-lifetime "Everyone is Here!" game - the possibility to play some characters that have been highly requested for years.

*clapping*

This on all fronts

I would have Ben team fake if it were for all the evidence and the esrb leak

And you guys suck for hating it after this

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman
Okay, then why did it take them so long to reveal the Isaac and Shadow ATs, then? They could have ripped that band-aid off immediately like they did for Waluigi and Lyn.
Because Smash exploits the fans' fervent desires to get characters in to generate hype. If they Assist Trophy'd Isaac early on, then it wouldn't have spawned a bunch of discussions for months about whether or not he would be in, this keeping the game at the forefront of people's minds.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
hey could have ripped that band-aid off immediately like they did for Waluigi and Lyn.
1. They possibly weren't finished yet.
2. They possibly wanted to space out assist trophy reveals.
There's any number of reasons why they would choose to reveal things at different times.

Noipoi

Howdy!
HOLY **** WORLD OF LIGHT IS LITERALLY GREAT MAZE
NON LINEAR
SOMETHING WIPES OUT EVERYONE BUT KIRBY
YOU HAVE TO BEAT EVIL VERSIONS OF THE CAST
AND YOU EVEN HAVE GALLEOM BACK LMFAO SAKURAI YOU SON OF A ***** YOU MADE GREAT MAZE GOOD
So, if Galleom's back can we get Tabuu back?

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
For newcomers I think we are going to be in a similar situation to Melee. And here’s my crazy theory as to why;

Past games have shown that we will get somewhere between 12-17 new characters a game (excluding DLC). As we all know, Melee originally only had 8 new unique characters - until late into development, when the team decided to implement the 6 clones. :ultganondorf::ultyounglink::ultpichu::ultroy::ultdoc::ultfalco:

I think this time around, the developers are internally treating the returning cut veterans as if they are as much work as a newcomer. I am aware that the likes of :ultpichu::ultyounglink: will not be as hard work as :ultsnake::ultpokemontrainer: , but they could all be grouped together as a crap ton of work.

So after subtracting the 7 returning cuts from our average of 15 newcomers, we are left with 8 slots. I think 8 will be the ballpark for original characters this time around. Sakurai knows only 8 newcomers would be underwhelming after Smash 4’s blowout, so is going the Melee route and flooding in a bunch of clones again. Hence why they were given an official name and :ultdaisy: being shown off so early.
Well ****, there was actually some logic to my theory

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
No trophies is honestly the biggest gut punch. Yay stickers but with a fancier name....One of my favorite parts of Smash was collecting the trophies and getting the 3D models and the backstory/trivia. It was really cool and I still go back and read through all the Smash 4 trophies every now and then. Very disappointing for me. Not jazzed for story mode since it's basically an extension of sticker collecting event matches with, I'm sure, very little in the way of cutscenes (especially since Sakurai said it's more about the fun than the story).

Roster is fine. I accepted Incineroar long ago, and while a Pokemon I don't like at all, I do really like how it's represented. And Pirhanna Plant is great, always in favor of the obscure joke character. That being said, it's an awful choice because it's from the same series as Wah and Geno. Two extremely passionate fanbases who get slighted in favor of Pirhanna Plant.

D

Deleted member

One thing I want to remind everyone is that Piranha Plant is FREE.

I think it should go without saying that the better options are being held off for paid DLC. When choosing a free character, I think Sakurai was intentionally looking for someone weird and unexpected he could experiment with. It'd be his last chance to do so, unless he tried it with paid DLC and got twice as much backlash.

So instead of looking at the situation like, "It's so stupid that Piranha Plant got in over 'X' and 'Y' as a playable character!", think of it as free little bonus character you weren't expecting.
Even as a free thing, i don’t like the Plant at all.

But that won’t stop me from buying Ultimate.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Being an icon for player tag pretty much means there in spirits mode. There reusing all these art assets for a reason. Doesnt mean anyone doesnt have chance tho

osby

Smash Obsessed
Anyway, while it had the opposite effect on most people, this direct really warmed me up to the final roster, especially after seeing everyone run from fight against a common enemy.

I think I even don't hate K.Rool and Ridley, which says a lot.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I really enjoyed that direct and the following treehouses. I'll write up my full thoughts later but at least a 7/10. Sure, I'd have liked the Grinch leak but everything has been bonus since E3 anyway.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I'm expecting there to be a FINAL final Smash Direct at the end of the DLC season where Sakurai confirms that, indeed, this is the final Smash Bros. game.

D

Deleted member

HOLY **** WORLD OF LIGHT IS LITERALLY GREAT MAZE
NON LINEAR
SOMETHING WIPES OUT EVERYONE BUT KIRBY
YOU HAVE TO BEAT EVIL VERSIONS OF THE CAST
AND YOU EVEN HAVE GALLEOM BACK LMFAO SAKURAI YOU SON OF A ***** YOU MADE GREAT MAZE GOOD
WAIT WHAT I CAN'T BELIEVE I MISSED THIS.

I LIKED GREAT MAZE. DANGIT, HOW COULD I HAVE HATED THIS AT FIRST IT'S LITERALLY WHAT I WANTED AAAAAAAAA!

...*Ahem* That's pretty cool, I'm sure it'll be lots of fun. :)

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So Sakurai did say they had already planned dlc right??? Or am I crazy?

It really throws a wrench in dlc speculation because the assumption was any game that was too late (ARMS & Xenoblade) and new releasing games (Gen 8 & Three Houses). This however might not be the case....also no echoes so that throws out a lot of easy pickings for predictions.

Honestly outside of Bandana Dee I'm struggling to find any 1st Party characters....I hope it's not 4-5 3rd parties but I can absolutely see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom