• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I love how Pokemon Starter types are equally represented in the roster like everyone who cares about arbitrary checklists wanted!

Fire: Charizard, Incineroar
Water: Squirtle, Greninja
Grass: Ivysaur, Piranha Plant

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
You know, now that I see it all listed out like this, I realize now that expecting "Stars" in Gen 7 and "Z" in Gen 6 was always wishful thinking.

They haven't released a single "Crystal/Yellow" style third game in a generation since 2000. Since Gen 3 they've realized they'll make more money by releasing a combo again instead.

Who's ready for Let's Go! Raichu and Let's Go! Sylveon?
I mean Emerald and Platinum were basically that.
So technically it hasn't been since Gen 4.
Also I just realized, considering people say Ryu's 1v1 change is a big *** buff for him, I think we should all agree Ken is gonna benefit more from it cause of the speed
Ken is definitely going to be considered the "better Ryu" especially considering the fact that he has multi-hitting specials and normals(?).
Prepare to see him a lot online.

also I just always preferred Ken over Ryu, so I'm definitely going to use him.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Dude's rendered like he should be in Pokken. Either way, I'm glad Smash finally has a full-on wrestler.
I wondered when I saw him if there was some overlap there. Maybe he was in concept for Pokken but they ultimately dropped him and moved his work over to the Smash development team? Maybe that helped influence the decision of picking Incineroar as the Pokemon rep?

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
So let's discuss what happened to the grinch leak Characters:
Skull kid(?): An assist
Shadow: an assist
Geno: a soul sticker
Issac: an assist

Only two characters who didn't appear are banio and the biker character. So in a way it was legit ;p

I'm sorry for joking about this.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I love how Pokemon Starter types are equally represented in the roster like everyone who cares about arbitrary checklists wanted!

Fire: Charizard, Incineroar
Water: Squirtle, Greninja
Grass: Ivysaur, Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant was my starter in the Mushroom region games.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
First off consider all the Kid Icarus content..

Viridi, and Hades already appear in dialogue on Palutena's temple, and Viridi is a backround character, Phosphora is back as a assist, and Pit, Palutena and Dark Pit seem odd to where you would think there would be a newcomer, trophies are indeed removed and Medusa was a trophy, just a trophy.

So consider this, Sakurai made Medusa just a trophy intentionally to save her for later after he removes said trophies and makes her a playable character.. Think about it, Medusa is a iconic mainstay to the Kid Icarus series where is she? She has yet to be seen anywhere.

So I totally bet Medusa is dlc.
Sounds like you're confident enough to put your avatar on the line.

Calane

Smash Ace
Look guys, all I'm saying is that Sora is from this point on the likeliest Square Enix DLC rep. Think about it.
  • Square Enix apparently has a stick up their *** and is practically impossible to work with. I think the reason Geno isn't in the game is because Square Enix won't let him be in the game. What do they have to benefit from including him over other, more relevant or popular characters that will sell more? Getting Cloud was likely hard enough (evidenced by one stage and two versions of one music track), and he's Square Enix's most popular character.
  • A Dragon Quest rep has too many companies to go through, including Toriyama and a second sponsor company alongside Square Enix. While it would sell gangbusters in Japan, it wouldn't sell as much in America and likely isn't worth the trouble.
  • Sora has to go through Square Enix, yes, but instead of legal **** it's a simple yes/no from Normura. At that point, they skip Square Enix and go straight to Disney, who handles how the IP is used in Smash. Disney has even said they're okay with it. They personally said that they would let him into the game if demand was there.
I'm sure it's hard to have a stick up your *** as much as Square Enix, and Disney has a completely different company philosophy as it's run in America (while I disagree with the racist way Liam Robertson said it, it is true that different cultures have different business practices). What does Disney love more than anything else?

Money.

And how do they make a lot of money? Including a character in Smash Bros. Especially if that character has a major release coming up, which Sora just so happens to have.

Sora being owned by Disney isn't a curse, it's a blessing.
I honestly feel like people overestimate how hard it would be to get a DQ character in Smash. I'm sure that Square Enix and all the other companies involved would see it as a great opportunity to push the series and give it more exposure in the west, and I see no reason why any of them would be opposed to such an offer. In fact, I believe it makes DQ even more likely since SE really wants the series to catch on more in the west. Being in Smash is pretty much the greatest advertisement you could ask for, and I can see both Nintendo and SE jumping at the chance to make it happen. Not only that, but DQ is one of the most iconic and influential game franchises of all time. It being in Smash would be an incredibly huge deal, especially in Japan.

Basically, DQ "needs" the exposure more than Kingdom Hearts, and it's an opportunity that I'm sure everyone involved would be eager to get behind. Heck, DQ has already crossed over with Nintendo twice before with the Fortune Street (or Itadaki Street) series. I don't see why it'd be impossible for it to happen again.

I'm not saying that it's a guarantee, and I wouldn't be surprised to see KH take the spot, but I believe DQ is a real contender for DLC and I wish people would take the series a little more seriously. SE wants the series to become more popular in the west, so I don't think they, or any of the other companies, have a good reason to oppose something that could really help the series out in such a big way. Especially with DQ XI heading to Switch in the future.

Perhaps I don't know what I'm talking about, but it just seems like it'd be a win-win situation for everyone involved.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
All Assist Trophies are on the website.

Only Shadow and Skull Kid (if mai boi Skull Kiddo was even in the leak to begin with) are Assist Trophies. KOS-MOS wasn't in the leak.
Doesnt matter now anyway because its time to look forward playing the game and making top 5 dlc character lists.

Artorias

Smash Journeyman
Also, today is the day that finally people that love cats over dogs were given a fair treatment. Mewtwo isn't really a cat... meanwhile smash had tons of canines
Really though, no matter if you wanted the other leak to be right, how can you hate this guy?
chrome_2018-11-01_15-58-27.png
chrome_2018-11-01_15-56-11.png

D

Deleted member

Personally I'm thinking a combination of Steve, Sora, Banjo, Dee, Dante, and Lloyd.
In japan, the most popular combo kind of looks like this:

-Banjo
-Crash
-Sora
-???
-???

I discovered this browsing online alongside some K.Rool supporters on Discord.

The interrogations are characters that i can’t remember.

Crash and Banjo supporters are big in Japan too, if we take this as a proof.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I mean Emerald and Platinum were basically that.
So technically it hasn't been since Gen 4.
Did you miss Emerald and Platinum, staind? XD

Black 2 and White 2 were where they realised they'd make more money with Dual Sequels, not Emerald.
Oh ****, I did. And I even own Platinum.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Anyone got a small version of Piranha's stock icon? I need it for my sig.

Black Magician

Smash Apprentice
I just got in and watched it!

...and it pretty much killed all my hype for this game. Like, obvs I'm still going to buy it, and I'm still pleased about Ridley, but as a Big Final Announcement it really fell flat. I'm one of those players who doesn't use custom features (stickers etc) so Spirits mean nothing to me. Adventure Mode seems fun I guess? But everyone knows the important thing is the characters, and it seems really weird to end on Kencinaroar and Piranha Plant, rather than e.g. Ridley or K Rool.

KMDP

Smash Legend
No.

Sakurai did NOT recreate the Shadow and Isaac ATs to "tide us over for DLC."

Being an AT is perhaps the only 100% official death blow for any character's viability as a fighter.

Stop getting your hopes up. Stop believing. The dream is dead for any AT. Accept it and move on, it'll make your life better.

This kind of wishful thinking is akin to the Tower of Smash cult devotees STILL believing it was possible after ESRB.

I mean, never say never but...it worries me people are so willing to try and get hope for their character this way. It's confirmation bias to the hilt.
Okay, then why did it take them so long to reveal the Isaac and Shadow ATs, then? They could have ripped that band-aid off immediately like they did for Waluigi and Lyn.

You know, it's kind of passive aggressive to reply to someone without actually quoting them, right? It makes it seem like you don't want that person to see what you've written.

Also, "stop getting your hopes up"? Screw you, I do want I want.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Here are my predictions and hopes for DLC, because there's a gigantic chasm in between them. :p

Hopes:
1. Sora
2. Banjo & Kazooie
3. Joker
4. Agumon
5. Crash Bandicoot

Predictions:
1. Sora
2. Edelgard
3. Heihachi
4. Steve
5. Doom Guy

****, I hope there are seasons. :lol:

WiiRool

Smash Cadet
NNID
WiiRool
Switch FC
SW-2514-2416-3131
Yo have you all noticed that Skull Kid is listed as an Assist Trophy on the website?
Or am I late on this one?

D

Deleted member

Yeah it's the craziest person in the world going out of their way to make incredibly boring cardboard cut-out models using promotional material from the upcoming Grinch movie because he's thinking 47 steps ahead and knows that both Bandai-Namco and Universal studios contract the same obscure French marketing company. To this end, he then got himself an office, printed out the name of an employee of said company, and haphazardly half blurred out the name because, once again, he's some kind of super genius beyond the mental capacities of mortal man and he knew that the internet's crack team of cybersleuths would find his red-herring name in seconds.

This absolute Einstein of social engineering also happens to moonlight as an expert artist and after presumably spending hours carefully cutting and pasting characters from the Smash poster, he then went out of his way to produce 7 more drawings of his own with obscure elements like vines for Isaac that hardly anyone would be able to make out, and then, for the fun of it, he saw to making a completely unique drawing of the blank version of Battlefield just because he could. He made sure that this fake roster of his perfectly mirrored one posted on 4chan last month by someone whose first language clearly isn't English because he knew that people would immediately make the connection to the French marketing company that he is pretending produced this image. The fact that 5 new characters lines up with the 5 missing stages from Corocoro was all part of his master plan. He also made sure this coincided with Nintendo renewing relevant trademarks.

The lengths you have to go to believe that this is all an incredibly elaborate leak would make this man one of the most intelligent people to ever walk the Earth. Apparently he knew where people would look at every turn, making him at the minimum more competent than the entire government of Saudi Arabia when it comes to fakery.

I suggest you think about which outcome is the most likely here
I guess Kencineroar was the more Likely outcome than ignoring everything Sakurai and every Insider has said. Props to the leaker, he got you gooood.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Not surprised in the slightest Kirby is gonna save the world. Probably the only other choice for that role would be Ness.
Anyone remember the "canonical tier list"?

D

Deleted member

Would pre-ordering from GameStop give you Piranha Plant?
You will get the code just by picking the golden coins for My Nintendo.

You can get him in any way you get the game. You only need to pick those points.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Who the hell is Kirby going to lose to honestly?

You seen this guy's final bosses

If they were IRL I'd be peeing in my pants right away
https://luxwing.tumblr.com/post/158480703544/kirby-game-start-oh-no-king-dedede-ate-kirbys
  • Kirby game start: oh no king dedede ate Kirbys cake what a bad boy let's go stop him
  • Kirby game final boss: the final demon bosses from the last six games all merge into a super Satan zombie and make a wish to the time God to send the sun hurtling through space and Kirby has to ride a ****ing cyber draconian space Lord into the sun to destroy it
  • Kirby game ending: Kirby got his cake! And king dedede gets a time out for being naughty :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom