• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Can someone answer me a question?

Is Spirits and this adventure mode "World of Light" one in the same, or two entirely different modes?
They are same. You wander around and do events. Spirits has stuff aside from it as well, though, like regular matches and dojo and stuff.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
i get the kh3 is a big thing, but i myself have seen more overlap with smash fans and geno fans (including sakurai lol) than i have smash fans and sora fans. you dont just include mickey mouse in a game as dlc since hes popular, you need to think of that games fanbase and if theyd rather have mickey mouse or pinnochio. just my thoughts though
That's completely fair. I believe that Sakurai tried that, but it likely didn't work out.

Sakurai has wanted Geno since Brawl, so then why haven't we gotten him?

I believe it's because Square Enix doesn't see him as profitable enough compared to other characters. I believe that the Mii Costume and Spirit/Token is the best we're going to get.

Last edited:

Raspberry

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't think people who are a bit unsatisfied with the final base-game roster should be labeled as ungrateful. Even ignoring the leak altogether, newcomers such as Shadow and Isaac were hugely requested and Zelda hasn't received a new playable character besides the different iterations of Link in almost two decades. The lack of satisfaction stems from the apparent absurdity of some of the choices related to the roster.

I don't blame Sakurai for choosing to limit the number of base-game newcomers given how much effort developing this game has required, but choosing to make them Assist Trophies once again feels... bad. I (and many others, I'm sure) would have preferred them to be DLC instead of Assist Trophies. I don't know, Sakurai's choice doesn't make any sense to me, since it's a bad choice even from a financial standpoint (they would have sold like hotcakes).

Basically, I believe people would have been less salty if Isaac and Shadow hadn't been in the game at all (until a potential DLC announcement), since it would have left the door open for them to be added later. Right now, it looks like their fate is sealed, which is a huge shock considering the fact that a character like Piranha Plant was announced to be playable. Why have the Ballot if you're going to ignore some of the top choices?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Piranha Plant himself, he's just the victim of bad timing and I would have been more than happy to see him included knowing that we could still get these highly-requested characters in the future. I think it's reasonable for some people to be slightly annoyed by the fact that Sakurai has chosen to make a generic enemy playable (completely generic, this time, unlike Bandana Dee) while relegating important protagonists/antagonists to Assist Trophy status once again. At the same time, I don't think comparing Piranha Plant to R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch or Wii Fit Trainer is fair, since they are either the main characters of their games or, in R.O.B.'s case, a unique moment in Nintendo's history.

Basically, had very popular characters like Shadow and Isaac been part of the DLC season, this game could have been perfect for more people than it's gonna be in this timeline. That alone seems like a good enough reason to be disappointed today, despite Sakurai's work which we all respect. Tomorrow, we know that we'll still have the biggest game in the series, we know we're still gonna have 103 stages, countless characters and so on, but we also know what we will probably never have in this same extraordinary and once-in-a-lifetime "Everyone is Here!" game - the possibility to play some characters that have been highly requested for years.

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Thoughts from an old soul:

- I was 50/50 on the Grinch leak being real but the moment I saw the boxing ring I knew Incineroar was coming. As a big Pokemon fan there were multiple others I would have preferred over him but oh well. He at least looks better than I thought he would.
- Ken looks great and I'm confused about why they still consider him an Echo. Great addition to the roster regardless.
- Isaac, Shadow, and Skull Kid all being confirmed as AT's hurt more than I thought it would. Shadow in particular I thought was a shoe-in the moment Richter made an appearance. This will sting for a while.
- Trophies being gone also hurt.
- Online looks very hit or miss. Gonna have to reserve judgement on that until I get my hands on the game.
- Spirits mode looks... okay I guess. I couldn't care less about the spirit "power ups" or whatever. Looks like something I'd mess around with for a few hours then never touch again. Looking forward more cool cutscenes though.
- I think the Piranha Plant is hilarious and a welcome addition to the roster, but the timing to reveal it felt off.
- I had a feeling that Sakurai would save the true heavy hitters for DLC and it looks like I was right. Looking forward to seeing who the final 5 end up being.
- Overall this direct felt very "meh" for what was supposed to be the biggest Direct of all time. I guess it was our own faults for buying into the hype and the fake leak.

Just gotta say it was great being back here after falling off this website a while ago (sorry). Smashboards was a big part of my childhood and being back here for this speculation period has been extremely nostalgic. Regardless of this Direct I'm still extremely hyped for this game and I'm looking forward to kicking ass with Pokemon Trainer once again. I look forward to seeing some of you online!

-TRG

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I wonder if I'll use Ken more than Ryu in this game. Most Street Fighter games I play, I use Ryu more, but I might fight with Ken more for this game. Either way, Ken's a much more in-depth Clone character than the rest.

And then with Simon and Richter, I need to see what differences they have to see who's more up my alley.

Last edited:

Artorias

Smash Journeyman
While i'm sad that none of the characters that i wanted from the grinch leak got in, holy **** that was an awesome direct, world of light is hype as hell
Also Incineroar, Ken and Piranha all look awesome in gameplay and specially Incineroar and Piranha have really interesting kits.
Here's me hoping for banjo-kazooie dlc!

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Actually now that things have calmed down and everyone has had a chance to breath, this thread is looking a lot better then I thought it would!

I always kind of knew people would warm up to Incineroar when they saw him, but when everyone started buying into the Grinch leak I became worried that he'd end up being the scapegoat when it got debunked. Instead I'm seeing a lot of people warming up to him and getting excited like I initially thought! I'm sure there's still plenty of haters out there, but his reception is still looking pretty solid to me. It's a shame poor Piranha Plant is not quite as lucky, although even in his there's still just as much if not more warm reception towards him as there is negative.

As for the Grinch "leak" itself, it seems like a lot of people are taking it surprisingly well. I'm not seeing a whole lot of complaining from Team Real nor much in the way of obnoxious gloating from Team Fake.

Now I won't be surprised if things are different over at Gamefaqs or 4chan (I don't frequent those places for a reason) but I'm starting to feel really silly for being so cynical of the fanbase's reaction the night before. Most people have calmed down really fast. Or maybe it just looks that way to me because I was expecting this thread to be so nasty for a while. This thread already feels safer then it did a the peak of the Grinch Leak civil war.
TBH, I think the reason Incineroar isn't being treated as the scapegoat is because:
A. DLC is already confirmed
and
B. Piranha Plant.

A lot of people are using Piranha Plant as their scapegoat right now. It sucks, but I'm sure it'll die down once the first DLC character is revealed.

Regardless, there's always a scapegoat. Had Incineroar been the final newcomer, with no DLC or P. Plant, then he'd definitely be the scapegoat.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
That's completely fair. I believe that Sakurai tried that, but it likely didn't work out.

Sakurai has wanted Geno since Brawl, so then why haven't we gotten him?

I believe it's because Square Enix doesn't see him as profitable enough compared to other characters. I believe that the Mii Costume and Spirit/Token is the best we're going to get.
i think a better answer would be that square knows geno fans would buy dlc, and theyd get nothing out of him if he was just base roster

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Also, I think one of the big problems people who are telling those who are upset to just wait or w/e forget is that we may never get a chance like this ever again. Sakurai admitted it was hella hard getting all these third parties, so do you really think, even if the likes of Shadow, Geno, and Skull Kid make it in, we will be able to have the fight the likes of snake, cloud, or simon, who have high chances of being cut next time?

JLU51306

Smash Apprentice
But seriously, trpohies removal, I CAN'T GO WITH THIS.
I'm sad about it too, but realistically? 3D modelling 1000+ things, requiring valuable amounts of time and resources of the game development when artwork just kinda suffices and is incredibly easier to implement? I don't blame Sakurai.

I am, however, very disappointed in the removal of Target test (and was truly hoping for a unique test per character like Melee), but alas.

Shroob

Sup?
YA KNOW....IT JUST DAWNED ON ME........NO ONE ASKED WHERE THE PIRANHA PLANT ASSIST TROPHY WENT, YET WE WERE SOO SURE SHADOW WAS IN.

I THINK WE GOT THOSE TWO MIXED UP BROS.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
My bets for DLC:
Banjo
Lara Croft (Square Enix character)
Gen 8 Pokemon (Gamefreak sends stuff in advance)
Scorpion or Sub Zero
Dante
They did. It's called Incineroar.

There's no way they were working on Generation 8 in 2015.

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Honestly if Bandana Dee doesn't get in after this, it'll only further validate my decision. Who in their right mind would put a generic Mario enemy over a marquee, staple, landmark, insert word for "pillar of a franchise" here?

Whatever Sakurai wants, Sakurai gets...Bandana Dee's hopes are not dashed yet; in fact, they're strengthened seeing he's not an AT and the "generic enemy" argument has been BTFO'd...but if after all of this he can't make it...Sakurai really is, as the meme says, a madman. :p

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
#Impa4Smash indeed.. Skull Kid deconfirmed so now is Impa's chance.
I don’t think she has a chance anymore :(. I don’t think Zelda is getting a rep in those 5 DLC characters either unfortunately.

But I’m so excited for the game it’s hard to care.

Though if a HW inspired Impa gets revealed I will be beyond ecstatic

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Just asking.. Can Boo be a character with his final smash as The Big Boo? (should just turn into Majin Boo tbh so he can be invincible lol)

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
YA KNOW....IT JUST DAWNED ON ME........NO ONE ASKED WHERE THE PIRANHA PLANT ASSIST TROPHY WENT, YET WE WERE SOO SURE SHADOW WAS IN.

HOLY **** THAT'S HILARIOUS.

HAIL BASED PIRANHA PLANT.

KMDP

Smash Legend
As someone who wasn't even disappointed with the Direct, I think the "you should denounce any and all criticism of the game because Sakurai is tired" narrative is silly.

It's okay to be critical of things you like and love, just as long as you're being respectful and not throwing tantrums about it.

Like, I'm still ecstatic for the game, I really am. But I do have some gripes, I'm sad Trophies are gone and I think Spirits themselves are little underwhelming and remind me too much of both Stickers and Customs from Smash 4 which I'm not a fan of. The structure of the Direct was too bloated for what was a lot of fluff (Options? Really?) They also did a poor job selling me on Adventure Mode, but I'm keeping an open mind about it.

Anyways, it's good to be critical of things. Just don't be an ****** about it.
I liked that they talked about Options.

Because it confirms Dual Audio (well, Undecal Audio), and that means we might get the Japanese only songs now.

Silver Linings, Silver Linings...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

WAIT THERE WAS A PIRANHA PLANT ASSIST TROPHY IN SMASH 4?

prettynice

Smash Apprentice
lmao I still can't believe Piranha Plant is a playable character, that was hilarious and not gonna lie but I'm actually kind of excited to play as the Piranha Plant when the character is available.
I can't believe Piranha Plant is a playable character but Isaac isn't.

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
I did not disagreed with your theory, (sorry if it looked that way) on the contrary
Oh sorry, yeah, I misread it then. Either way, I'm not sorry for being Team Real because the leak is ridiculous. If somebody set up those circumstances then they are nuts and also smart, but dumb nevertheless for putting Houdini level sleight of hand talent to such useless ends. I think it's so ridiculous that there must be a reason it happened. Omni's leak made him a premiere Nintendo vlogger. What could this possibly have gotten Eric Bricard? So strange.

MainJPW

M.T.A
I honestly don't think people who are a bit unsatisfied with the final base-game roster should be labeled as ungrateful. Even ignoring the leak altogether, newcomers such as Shadow and Isaac were hugely requested and Zelda hasn't received a new playable character besides the different iterations of Link in almost two decades. The lack of satisfaction stems from the apparent absurdity of some of the choices related to the roster.

I don't blame Sakurai for choosing to limit the number of base-game newcomers given how much effort developing this game has required, but choosing to make them Assist Trophies once again feels... bad. I (and many others, I'm sure) would have preferred them to be DLC instead of Assist Trophies. I don't know, Sakurai's choice doesn't make any sense to me, since it's a bad choice even from a financial standpoint (they would have sold like hotcakes).

Basically, I believe people would have been less salty if Isaac and Shadow hadn't been in the game at all (until a potential DLC announcement), since it would have left the door open for them to be added later. Right now, it looks like their fate is sealed, which is a huge shock considering the fact that a character like Piranha Plant was announced to be playable. Why have the Ballot if you're going to ignore some of the top choices?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Piranha Plant himself, he's just the victim of bad timing and I would have been more than happy to see him included knowing that we could still get these highly-requested characters in the future. I think it's reasonable for some people to be slightly annoyed by the fact that Sakurai has chosen to make a generic enemy playable (completely generic, this time, unlike Bandana Dee) while relegating important protagonists/antagonists to Assist Trophy status once again. At the same time, I don't think comparing Piranha Plant to R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch or Wii Fit Trainer is fair, since they are either the main characters of their games or, in R.O.B.'s case, a unique moment in Nintendo's history.

Basically, had very popular characters like Shadow and Isaac been part of the DLC season, this game could have been perfect for more people than it's gonna be in this timeline. That alone seems like a good enough reason to be disappointed today, despite Sakurai's work which we all respect. Tomorrow, we know that we'll still have the biggest game in the series, we know we're still gonna have 103 stages, countless characters and so on, but we also know what we will probably never have in this same extraordinary and once-in-a-lifetime "Everyone is Here!" game - the possibility to play some characters that have been highly requested for years.

That's...that's it. That's exactly it.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Incenroar is gen7?
Yeah. That's the point.

Incineroar was sent in beforehand because The Pokemon Company was working on Generation 7 in 2015. They were not working on Generation 8.

2015 is when the cut off for the first Fighter Pack was determined.

Therefore, a Generation 8 Pokemon is very unlikely for the first Fighter Pack.

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
And so far only truth has frothed from Vergeben's lips.
Frothed, lmao. I can't stop giggling that this.
The direct would have been better if it was better organized. They spent too long with Spirts mode without really explaining what it was.
Yeah, this is really my main issue. I'm still not sure on precisely how World of Light links to Spirits. That cutscene would undoubtedly made a more hype intro, though.

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
I can't believe Piranha Plant is a playable character but Isaac isn't.
I really feel bad for those that wanted their most wanted characters playable but it didn't happen and a plant got in before them, too me that's both sad and funny at the same time.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I don’t think she has a chance anymore :(. I don’t think Zelda is getting a rep in those 5 DLC characters either unfortunately.

But I’m so excited for the game it’s hard to care.

Though if a HW inspired Impa gets revealed I will be beyond ecstatic
Shame. Was kind of hoping for something new from Zelda.. Even if it was just Hilda as a echo or something new that isnt just another Link.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Sad thing Young Link's final smash is Triforce Slash. Good thing Yoshi's final smash looks amazing.
I'd be more upset if I ever got to play with final smashes on.

I realized the other day that I couldn't even name what half the Smash 4 cast's final smashes were.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I keep forgetting Piranha Plant is playable lmao.

Honestly, he’s such an absolutely insane joke character that nobody saw coming, that I’m not even bothered. I’m not bothered in the slightest. It honestly has almost the same level of ****post energy as Sans or Steve would’ve. Nice job Sakurai.

Artorias

Smash Journeyman
Also holy **** i'm impressed the Ken Leak was actually legit, it has the same render even
63479_02_super-smash-bros-ultimate-leak-ken-actually-confirmed_full.jpg

chrome_2018-11-01_15-37-50.png

chrome_2018-11-01_11-47-19.png
Also rip skull kid confirmed Assist Trophy on the site
chrome_2018-11-01_11-54-15.png

When will Zelda get some ****ing love, no newcomers since Melee besides Toon Link that was more a replacement of young link at the time
Sad that the Rhythm Heaven franchise 99% chance isn't one of those 5 dlc newcomers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom