• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
its almost as if people buy fighting games to play as the characters they like
Oh, you mean like these characters?
1541094573358.png

Lemme go check and see if these characters are in Smash Ultimate...
Oh look, it appears they are.

Imfrikinbad

Smash Cadet
So, 75% of the fanbase isnt buying, casuals probably wont buy it... this game is going to be a flop then. Shame
What makes you think 75% of the fanbase isn't buying? Sure I'm annoyed about no trophies and making the Online seemingly worse, but the game still looks amazing.... I don't think most people complaining are just straight up not buying it.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Man I think Heihachi will be DLC lol. If Akira was in as a AT and Heihachi was not... there's nothing else I can expect.

I'm also fully expecting Geno as DLC and I don't care if he's a spirit. That doesn't mean a thing

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I had to wait a few hours when this site is usable again, so...

1. Congratulations to Ken and Incineroar (and Piranha Plant???) fans.

2. This is one of the primary reasons I have my motto. My god, what a ****show that whole Grinch fiasco was...

3. I am glad I didn't follow through on that bet on Yoshi's FS being the Mega Eggdozer lol. I like the Stampede well enough, and I was glad that it wasn't just a cinematic Super Dragon. Not that I think it isn't cool, but it would've signaled to me that Sakurai didn't care enough about his source material to look into other avenues...

4. STILL NO YOSHI ASSIST TROPHY!!! GAH!!!

5. Spirits looks like something that will overwhelm me VERY quickly...

6. The Miis have separate slots for each of the 3 classes? Hmm...

7. Probably the most surprising thing I saw was the Ray MKIII costume. I thought that trademark wasn't renewed...

8. I'm not gonna lie, my heart kinda sank when I heard that DLC wasn't gonna feature Echoes...

9. PIRANHA PLANT?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Oh, so there's gonna be demos that feature ALL fighters? Can I finally see my boi in action?!!!

11. Adventure mode looks cool, although the focus on Kirby being the hero AGAIN kinda left a sour taste in my mouth...

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Reasonable first party picks:
  • Bandana Waddle Dee (Hat Goomba argument blown the **** out)
  • Dixie Kong
  • Chorus Kids/Rhythm Heaven Rep
That's it. Promotional picks aren't possible unless the game has been in development since 2015 (which Three Houses, New Pokemon, Dragalia Lost, etc. weren't if I recall correctly).

I feel like most of these characters are going to be third parties to bring the hype.
  • Sora
  • Steve
  • Phoenix Wright/Monster Hunter
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Joker
I feel like the above could be our five characters right there.
A Bethesda character and Banjo are definitely possible

D

Deleted member

So, 75% of the fanbase isnt buying, casuals probably wont buy it... this game is going to be a flop then. Shame
I can't tell if this is satire or not.

Anyways, I wonder if the VGA is where the first DLC character will be shown off. My money's on Sora if the SE rep plays out.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Although there's nothing that can really ruin my mood at this point, I will admit I'll be a bit peeved if they take up DLC spots (and yes, we're talking about spots now). I hope the DLC characters they add will all be special in their own right, marketing be damned, especially as far as Pokémon is concerned, it has 10 characters now lol.
Pokemon is the most popular and iconic media franchise in the world. It can have as many characters as it pleases.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
What makes you think 75% of the fanbase isn't buying? Sure I'm annoyed about no trophies and making the Online seemingly worse, but the game still looks amazing.... I don't think most people complaining are just straight up not buying it.
He's mad so he's projecting his opinions onto the wider fanbase. Pay him no mind.

Last edited:

bountyhunta87

Smash Cadet
It could be that a lot of these characters are yet early and he is doing them from scratch, but maybe the idea was to announce them all to sell Fighter Pass and then build out.
They definetly have some work on them right now but what I meant was that none of them are echoes (I think that he said that, not sure)

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
The DLC stages come with music, which makes me think that at least the stages are from franchises that are not yet represented.
DLC Characters are a different story.
So far it seems that all the stages are directly tied to fighters, so none are separate.

I'm normally optimistic, but based on when the last fighter of the pass is released (February 2020), and the Famitsu (I think?) 108 stages thing from months back, I'm going out on a limb here and say that the fighter pass + Piranha Plant (6 fighters, 5 stages, ? amount of music & Rex costume) is all we're getting for DLC.

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Lol people are just upset cus the leak wasn’t real, this roster is amazing and casuals are gonna eat spirits and story mode up. This game is gonna be hit, don’t worry about the few people online saying they’re not buying it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
lol. Nah, I don't think I will. There's nothing in this game to convince me to buy a switch for like 300, smash for 60, and DLC for 30. Even if that DLC ends up including Skull Kid and Geno. I don't care for the revamped stages or the revampd physics since I jjust play this stuff casually. Two newcomers and one echo isn't worth that much money.
Two newcomers and one echo isn't worth that much money.
Two newcomers and one echo
It's so sad that they cut :ultinkling::ultkrool::ultridley::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultisabelle:.

Last edited:

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
I really hate this attitude. We have seventy four characters, not counting the DLC. We have over a hundred stages, again, not counting DLC.

But it's disappointing. It's heartbreaking.

I'm not one to call people greedy, but the people who think that the largest roster ever, every single fighter and almost every stage returning, while still adding more is sad? I'm sorry, but jeez, really?
You're right of course, let's just call that my initial heated reaction.
After calming down a bit, you can't actually complain about 76 (+6 DLC) fighters... I guess I let my hopes get a little bit out of control after the Grinch... Still, my bad.

But I stand by the point they should have paced the fighters reveals a little bit better, and this Direct was a mess structure wise...

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
How about not making him an online avatar, and mii costume for the second time? It'd be preferable for him to not appear at all
Also why bother including a golden sun item and not include the star of that franchise? It's clear that people want them both.
Now i have a genuine question for you. Why do you think everything sakurai does is perfect?
I don't, but nice ad hominem.

I've never liked that Dark Pit is his own character. I hate that The Legend of Zelda hasn't had a legitimate newcomer since Melee. I didn't approve of Cloud being put in as DLC because he's not even remotely a character from Nintendo's history and he opened the floodgates to people asking for random stuff. I think his approach to online modes is intentionally archaic. And I very much am dissatisfied with the fact that Daisy is just a Peach echo.

That said, I'm also a functional adult who realizes he's in charge of making the game he wants and I don't take decisions he and his team make personally. That's why I asked the question. Unfortunately, I got the answer I thought I'd get.

CaptainMac

Smash Cadet
My thoughts on the new fighters:

- Ken looks to play better than Ryu.
- Yay, Incineroar! His moveset looks great!
- Piranha Plant as a fighter is hilarious! I love it!

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Are you high?
Okay, time to be serious: There is no ****ing way this game is NOT going to be the best-selling game of the year and possibly the decade. To think otherwise is insane.

D

Deleted member

I will still buy the game.

But at the same time i won’t get close to the Plant.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
You kidding right??? 75% of the spirits mechanics are gatcha filler that we won't be even looking at in a month. Sakurai saw the equipment from smash 4 that NOBODY liked and put stickers on them, but they are still random as ****, he put in farming mechanics and ****ty modes... Jeez, it's hard to be mad after such a cool final cutscene but the rest of the direct was such a downer...
Hey... I liked equipment. Hell, it's the main reason I keep going back to smash 4.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
It could be that a lot of these characters are yet early and he is doing them from scratch, but maybe the idea was to announce them all to sell Fighter Pass and then build out.
Actually Sakurai wants to honor a element of surprise, and thats exactly what Im going to do.. I dont want to see anymore leaks, I would rather Sakurai surprise me with Medusa himself.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I think i'm gonna wait on this game.. I don;t even have a Switch yet anyway and it still might be the first game i get for it.. HOPEFULLY it's the last smash for awhile and we get more than the one Smash Season Pass to sustain us for awhile. 2 or 3 more would be nice to keep this going to 2020ish... I'm feeling a bit worn out after going so fast from Smash 4 to This one...

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Most disappointing thing about the direct was the soft confirmation there's only around 50 Pokeball pokemon. I was rooting for the majority of them to come back.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To the people attacking those upset with the Piranha Plant, just think what reactions would be to the suggestion of its inclusion even yesterday.

To the people attacking the Piranha Plant, chill. You don't have to download it. And this isn't the first unrequested character to get in over a popular one. It happens.

Let's just take a breath.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
They definetly have some work on them right now but what I meant was that none of them are echoes (I think that he said that, not sure)
Can confirm.

"And we're not talking about echo fighters."

R.I.P. DLC echoes (the only worthy one would've been Roxas, but it's whatever).

Esarty

Smash Rookie
I thought the forums here might be less petty than the game FAQs one.
This was probably not the best thread to check out first

Untouch

Smash Master
Yes but on the other hand.... making that a possibility is very ****ty. Perhaps they were keen to Smash 4 data we weren't, but holy crap it's kinda bad
I just don't think it's going to match you up with players outside of your options unless there's absolutely no one else to pick from, but we'll see.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
The funniest part of this is that the “Gillybal” leak was exactly right about the Kencineeoar reveal

D

Deleted member

So here are the confirmed dead from the Direct:
100% dead:
- Shadow.
- Issac.

Spirit dead (I'll include time of death. Only for most requested characters):
- Skull Kid 15:18
- Karate Joe 16:43
- Saki Amamiya 16:43
- Prince Sable 16:48 (this was unfortunate honestly)

Others with no timing
- Captain Rainbow
Unfortunately, Skull Kid is on their site as an AT. He's dead.

D

Deleted member

???

Casuals are going to eat this game up just like the Switch. And there's only a small amount of people not buying it because they're salty their character didn't get in.

Most of us, even if disappointed, still intend on getting this game because it's going to be amazing.
Indeed.

The Plant isn’t enough to stop me from getting the game.

I despise it, but i would need worse to not pick the title.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I do believe the game forces you to use spirits, though.
What makes you think that? I don't recall seeing anything that would make me believe that. I certainly hope it's not true because I'd like to be able to just play regular smash sometimes and not have to worry about all the extra stuff

paper roxy

Smash Ace
So here are the confirmed dead from the Direct:
100% dead:
- Shadow.
- Issac.

Spirit dead (I'll include time of death. Only for most requested characters):
- Skull Kid 15:18
- Karate Joe 16:43
- Saki Amamiya 16:43
- Prince Sable 16:48 (this was unfortunate honestly)

Others with no timing
- Captain Rainbow
there are spirits of the fighters in game, and you also forgot geno for spirit

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Most disappointing thing about the direct was the soft confirmation there's only around 50 Pokeball pokemon. I was rooting for the majority of them to come back.
I think Sakurai likes Team Aqua better than Team Magma because still no Groudon, just Kyogre

KMDP

Smash Legend
Yes but on the other hand.... making that a possibility is very ****ty. Perhaps they were keen to Smash 4 data we weren't, but holy crap it's kinda bad
Would you rather be forced to not play online if nobody is using the same ruleset?

Let's say you want to play "Omega Stages only, No Items, 2 Stock, No Time Limit" and nobody is playing that ruleset right now, so the game matches you to someone who wants to play "Omega Stages only, No Items, 3 Stock, No Time Limit" or "Omega Stages only, No Items, 2 Stock, 2 Minute Time Limit".

How is that a bad thing?

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
A Bethesda character and Banjo are definitely possible
Banjo? Yes, but I think Steve is more likely based on Verge and Senrou's sources. Minecraft DLC would also sell gangbusters and you know it. I also wouldn't be surprised if we underrated Steve's performance in the Ballot, seeing as he was the primary request of a lot of younger fans at the time.

A Bethesda character isn't likely because Bethesda and Nintendo had little to no relations in December 2015 when the roster (and DLC) was decided.
I wonder what will happen to Piranha Plant once the free offer expires. Will it be paid DLC afterwards?
No it'll vanish forever.

Of course it'll be paid DLC man.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom