• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WiiRool

Smash Cadet
NNID
WiiRool
Switch FC
SW-2514-2416-3131
The DLC stages come with music, which makes me think that at least the stages are from franchises that are not yet represented.
DLC Characters are a different story.

Kensho

Smash Apprentice
Trophies were already gacha so I don't see how this is any different.

And we'll have to disagree on the direct being a downer because I was hyped the whole time.
Trophies were just collectibles, and I don't miss them, but they served no gameplay purpose. This just mixes the collection with the throwaway nature of random equipment with ranks and a million numbers that you get like 20 every hour. I hate that, it's bad game and proggression design, it's just phone game filler. I wanted each spirit to be unique and obtained through one of those events, no leveling up, just some stats and a skill maybe. No sending them on time wasting expeditions, no fusing them to get other spirits, nothing of that. It's the worst. This is smash I just want to play smash in interesting ways.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
We need to also accept the fact that DLC is likely going to be 3rd party characters that most of us are going to be "Meh" on, though a chance for BK, at least.

If KRool and Ridley weren't in, I'd probably be passing on this Smash which is almost unheard of, but the only character I truly wanted to play as before was Bowser. Now I at least have three fat reptiles to choose from so I can actually have secondaries instead of being a solo Bowser main at tournaments.

Also, spirits looks like a lot of time spent customizing things with stickers when I could instead be playing matches to unlock characters and earn smash ranking so I can play elite instead of being thrown into the randomizer when I just want a 1v1. I may very well leave spirits mode completely untouched. Too many bad memories from SSE...

I feel extremely blessed to have Ridley and KRool in the game. At least my friend and I got ONE super hype moment out of KRool's reveal, though I never thought it would be the last... (unless DLC surprises us). Had we been left hoping for Ridley or Rool being revealed in the last trailer, it would've been a whole heaping helping of disappointment, like I'm sure Geno, Isaac, and BK fans are feeling right now. :(

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
"How this character is playable instead of a fan-favourite?!"

I understand your shock guys. Only every single Smash game done this before.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Well, glad I can come back in here now. I was on #teamfake for a while now, just never said anything because I didn't want to get harassed for my opinions. Not here to gloat about it, I do feel bad for several fans of the deconfirmed characters, like most of them didn't deserve that fate. I know that feeling well, considering what happened to Lyn. Even so, being THIS salty about the direct is a bit much, it makes our community look toxic to outsiders. Do try to remember the fan favorites that HAVE gotten in at this point, like K Rool and Ridley. That, and the fact we're looking to get an adventure mode too.
The only people that I feel should have anger pointed towards them are the grinch leaker, who got many peoples hopes up, and Vergeben, for basically ruining the surprise for people. Granted, Verg's whole "Square Enix rep" has yet to be proven, and Minecraft content is nowhere to be seen, so that's debatable. As for Piranha Plant, I actually am more interested in it, than I am Incineroar. It's a random choice, sure, but it's DLC, so it was likely worked on AFTER a lot of these characters were already Assist Trophies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Even though Rex might be out of the running, what if we get Lora with Jin as our Xenoblade 2 rep instead? That could happen.
DLC characters were decided before the main roster cutoff though.

"We decided on which fighters to include when we started planning."

The five characters are already decided on. It's why characters like Rex and Spring Man didn't make it, because DLC was already decided.

Fan demand could come into play with a potential Season 2, but for now the only thing we can do is wait and see who makes the cut.

This is pretty intense lol.
It won't happen. Especially with how popular Rex and Pyra are compared to them.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ok, first of all. Hot DAMN Inceneroar looks dope as ****. He has just officially tied with K. Rool for best trailer too. He's exactly what I wanted for him too, Smash's equal to "King" from Tekken. Don't understand Piranha Plant at all but uh, ok, I'll take it.

Holy ****, Smash did what Capcom never could, Ken isn't **** ugly in this game.

Other thoughts. It's a shame to see Isaac as an Assist again, especially with his model being as good as it is, but I'm glad to see him back at all. Cool to see Ray Mk. III in the game even though the TM just expired. Maybe they're working on getting it back? And Ken is in the exact same pose as the Grinch Leak. Surprising, sure, but I'm not going to go full conspiracy theorist over it.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ You'll end up buying it anyway.
lol. Nah, I don't think I will. There's nothing in this game to convince me to buy a switch for like 300, smash for 60, and DLC for 30. Even if that DLC ends up including Skull Kid and Geno. I don't care for the revamped stages or the revampd physics since I jjust play this stuff casually. Two newcomers and one echo isn't worth that much money.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
The DLC stages come with music, which makes me think that at least the stages are from franchises that are not yet represented.
DLC Characters are a different story.
Not really, Mario Maker came with new Mario remixes, so did Dreamland 64

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Reasonable first party picks:
  • Bandana Waddle Dee (Hat Goomba argument blown the **** out)
  • Dixie Kong
  • Chorus Kids/Rhythm Heaven Rep
That's it. Promotional picks aren't possible unless the game has been in development since 2015 (which Three Houses, New Pokemon, Dragalia Lost, etc. weren't if I recall correctly).

I feel like most of these characters are going to be third parties to bring the hype.
  • Sora
  • Steve
  • Phoenix Wright/Monster Hunter
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Joker
I feel like the above could be our five characters right there.
Personally I think we'll be getting Banjo, Steve, Lloyd, Sora, Bandana Dee, not sure what order.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
"I referred to ballot when selecting new challengers this time" - Sakurai
Yeah, and you got all of the returning characters, including third parties, K. Rool, Isabelle, Simon Belmont, Inkling, Daisy, Chrom, Dark Samus, and Ridley.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
So here are the confirmed dead from the Direct:
100% dead:
- Shadow.
- Issac.

Spirit dead (I'll include time of death. Only for most requested characters):
- Skull Kid 15:18
- Karate Joe 16:43
- Saki Amamiya 16:43
- Prince Sable 16:48 (this was unfortunate honestly)

Others with no timing
- Captain Rainbow

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Also I gotta say they did Ken the best way they could, and I was hoping they would, all the key little differences that started him being different from Ryu in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, the accurate to him Fsmash and focus attack, everything was well done.

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
Ignore, i was letting out some overly pessimistic thoughts and said a stupid prediction. Bullying the game too. Sorry everyone

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I honestly don't get Sakurai's mentality on Echo Fighters.

Echo Fighters arr essentially as close as possible to their originators with very, very little gameplay difference (Richter to Simon)

which is why Isabelle isn't because she has enough differences in her moves...

just like Ken for that matter, but we'll call him an Echo Fighter...

Just...just...what?
It is a little weird. My guess would be that:
His frame is exactly the same
all his moves are the same save for small animation differences (Different Hadoken animation; flame element added to Shoryuken; Kick instead of punch for Focus Attack).

He's essentially just as much an Echo as Chrom is. Chrom's moves are all the same as Roy except for his Up special, which is similar to Ike's with a small animation difference (which would be akin to Ken's Focus Attack being similar to Ryu's, but not exact). And his Final Smash...well, those are both unique, but I guess 1 completely-made-from-scratch move is not enough for a character to be called a 'Semi-Clone' instead of an Echo.

Looking at Isabelle (Isabella?), her frame is slightly different, and she's got several completely new moves for herself (planting that Cactuar mine thing, Rising on a swinging platform instead of being a Balloon Boy homage, and a Fishing Pole) along with a similar Final Smash, but a Mayoral Building instead of a House. In effect, she had a lot more changed and made different for her than another Echo, earning her 'Semi-Clone' status instead.

Untouch

Smash Master
I think people are taking the online stuff too literally.
I don't think it's going to randomly put you in a game with items and time on if you have them off, only if there's absolutely no one playing with those options at the moment.

That said, the Direct itself was underwhelming, and not because of the Grinch. The pacing was very off; a whole chunk of it felt, weirdly enough, like filler. Why did we go through the help screens? Language options was about the only "well that's neat" during that whole section. This direct could have easily shaved 10-15 minutes, been paced considerably better, and kept expectations much lower.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Trophies were just collectibles, and I don't miss them, but they served no gameplay purpose. This just mixes the collection with the throwaway nature of random equipment with ranks and a million numbers that you get like 20 every hour. I hate that, it's bad game and proggression design, it's just phone game filler. I wanted each spirit to be unique and obtained through one of those events, no leveling up, just some stats and a skill maybe. No sending them on time wasting expeditions, no fusing them to get other spirits, nothing of that. It's the worst. This is smash I just want to play smash in interesting ways.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
After K. Rool was confirmed. However, he didn't say ALL of them would be based off the Ballot.
No but like can I get a specific source on that? There are a lot of "Sakurai said x" statements that are false. I'm 99.99% sure you're right, but I want to make sure that this is true.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
Can I just point out...how good Ken looks in this game. He's actually pretty handsome. I'm way too used to ugly Ken's.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Reasonable first party picks:
  • Bandana Waddle Dee (Hat Goomba argument blown the **** out)
  • Dixie Kong
  • Chorus Kids/Rhythm Heaven Rep
That's it. Promotional picks aren't possible unless the game has been in development since 2015 (which Three Houses, New Pokemon, Dragalia Lost, etc. weren't if I recall correctly).
A few more maybe:
  • Elma (this one is weird because we've seen XC1 and XC2, but no XCX)
  • Dixie Kong
  • Celica
  • Paper Mario
Watch, we'll get like Moblin or something.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Wavedashing was never even brought back int he first place, the competitive smash changes they made were directed towards Sm4sh competitive players if anything

Though removing For Glory certainly can't sit well
For Glory being removed is a non-issue.

Because you can just set your desired Smash Rules to "Omega Only, No Items, # Stock" if you want.

The Match-Making system probably only takes a "Close Enough" approach if literally nobody else wants to use the same ruleset as you at that particular point in time.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I gotta say, this Direct has done what I thought was impossible; it’s made me less excited for the game.

I still respect Sakurai and his team, obviously will still purchase the game, still extremely happy that K. Rool and Isabelle made it in... But almost every single thing they showed in that Direct garnered somewhere between a shrug of indifference to a sigh of disappointment. I kind of like Pirhanna Plant, but it feels like a slap in the face to a ton of characters who have been requested for so long.

I hate feeling this negative, but I just needed to let this out.

ExitWound

Smash Journeyman
lol. Nah, I don't think I will. There's nothing in this game to convince me to buy a switch for like 300, smash for 60, and DLC for 30. Even if that DLC ends up including Skull Kid and Geno. I don't care for the revamped stages or the revampd physics since I jjust play this stuff casually. Two newcomers and one echo isn't worth that much money.
Agreed, this direct was my dealbreaker for buying a switch. That decision was easy!

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I would like to see Mario Tennis Mii costumes so the female Miis can wear skirts.. Oh and totes need one of Jenna from Golden Sun.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
PLEASE for the love of god no more Pokemon or FE reps, im sick of them
Although there's nothing that can really ruin my mood at this point, I will admit I'll be a bit peeved if they take up DLC spots (and yes, we're talking about spots now). I hope the DLC characters they add will all be special in their own right, marketing be damned, especially as far as Pokémon is concerned, it has 10 characters now lol.

Last edited:

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Anyone who liked the game going in but is thinking about not buying the game afterwards is a fool, especially if it's because you expected something, and that expectation was your main reason to buy the game.

Ultimate has 70+ characters and 100+ stages, and that's still not enough for some people.
its almost as if people buy fighting games to play as the characters they like

kylexv

Smash Master
Seems like Sakurai decided to throw us a bone with Ridley and K. Rool (along with every veteran returning, but I digress) and decided to go back to his own ways for the rest of the roster.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
I think people are taking the online stuff too literally.
I don't think it's going to randomly put you in a game with items and time on if you have them off, only if there's absolutely no one playing with those options at the moment.
Yes but on the other hand.... making that a possibility is very ****ty. Perhaps they were keen to Smash 4 data we weren't, but holy crap it's kinda bad

bountyhunta87

Smash Cadet
Yuri Kozukata is an AT, Fatal Frame was developed by Tecmo using Team Ninjas Dead or Alive 5 engine, Ryu Hayabusa confirmed as a DLC character possibly...

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So, 75% of the fanbase isnt buying, casuals probably wont buy it... this game is going to be a flop then. Shame
???

Casuals are going to eat this game up just like the Switch. And there's only a small amount of people not buying it because they're salty their character didn't get in.

Most of us, even if disappointed, still intend on getting this game because it's going to be amazing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom