• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
so are we sure that the first year of 5 dlc is going to be the only dlc we get for ultimate? the switch is obviously gonna last for a while and id honestly expect this to be the last smash game and they just add dlc occasionally

Pakky

Smash Hero
I pour one out for Issac and Shadow,Skull kid (possibly Geno??) that ****ing suck bruh.

Though on the Inceniroar front I'm so happy he spawns ropes, ore thoughts later and yeah i marked out at work again :(

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Can we all agree, that, Underwhelming direct or not.
That ****ing vocal main theme.
That ****ing ****.
It's dope.

Also that cutscene, the world of light ****ing hype me so much, I love it

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Why are people so angry at the inclusion of Piranha Plant when they could've just not bothered and ended the character reveals after Incineroar? They just wanted to have some fun and give us an extra gift, but the cancerous Smash community treated it like Sakurai killed their mother.

Last edited:

Kensho

Smash Apprentice
I'm still laughing over Piranha Plant. That is such a random character and it actually looks like it fits in. The Piranha Plant Posse is going to be too fun next year!

Already got the digital game downloaded and bought the season pass because I had enough gold coins to get it for free.

Also I know this is controversial, but I really like how they cut a lot of the excess fat in the game and really focused on streamlining the experience:
  • trophies are gone, which I think is great because they were a total waste of time. Instead, their successor is actually incorporated into the game as a major mechanic while still letting collectors collect them all (there's probably like 10,000 of them).
  • side modes like HRC are really just time-wasters that don't really serve a purpose. Canning them helped us get Smashdown and Squad Strike, and that cool looking Century Smash
  • stage builder was always gimped by some arbitrary decisions so instead of making it suck again, they put the dev time towards something very polished
  • in general, if we lost all of the side non-Smash modes for the adventure mode, I think that's a great deal because this one looks like they fixed all of the problems with Subspace. Seriously, that world is huge! The replay value is probably insane too.

Training mode stage has to be selectable somehow. They'll reuse the menu and just put it in the last box.
You kidding right??? 75% of the spirits mechanics are gatcha filler that we won't be even looking at in a month. Sakurai saw the equipment from smash 4 that NOBODY liked and put stickers on them, but they are still random as ****, he put in farming mechanics and ****ty modes... Jeez, it's hard to be mad after such a cool final cutscene but the rest of the direct was such a downer...

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
The Inkling trailer was a total tease for Spirits mode!

The Smash logo from their eye is THE SAME logo the possessed characters have.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
The number one first party dlc picks just got murdered. What now?
my plan is to be hyped and pessimistic for geno at the same time. i dont think any insiders deconfirmed geno but if the one se rep we get is sora i think ill actually cry lmao

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
ISAAC NOW HAS AN HD MODEL AND TROPHIES ARE GONE

THE LIFE OF AN ISAAC SUPPORTER
At least you are not a Toad supporter. Its the darkest timeline for a supporter of that character is when a generic enemy, a spinoff exclusive character, and a character from a single game released over 20 years ago will all make it in before you. Especially considering the credentials to like three different versions to the character (Toad, Captain Toad, Toadette).

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I put Verg vs Grinch as a coinflip, but I actively dislike the guy. His mic-drop Isaac AT announcement was childish and mean to the point I thought he might be making it up to be spiteful. I don't owe him anything.

I don't hate insiders, I hate people who are ***** about it.
People were treating Vergeben like garbage for months now.

Even if it was wrong of him to respond to the vitriol with his own vitriol, it's ridiculous to treat him like he's the bad guy in all of this. He wasn't a jerk at all until the fandom started mistreating him.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
BTW someone should make this a Meme.

Rocket Raccoon: The Last Guardian
Kirby: The Last Smasher

Come on! Do it! Do it!

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
By the way... no new remixes for Xenoblade, sigh...

And seems like old music is still botched (Gaur Plains only runs for 2:26...) buuuuut... seems like new tracks are ok to go over 2 minutes, like the other ones added. I guess we're still dealing with an incomplete DK Rap, but if something bigger gets added that one won't have any problems.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Removal of trophies? And Medusa still has yet to be seen and was indeed a trophy in Smash 4... Get ready for Medusa dlc!

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Hey kids were gonna bring back Wave Dashing and all that fun melee crap...

(6 months late)

Heres a bunch of glorified stickers that add a bunch of weird stats to throw the meta game into hell and also no For Glory

I mean i aint no competitive Smasher but i can imagine theyre not very happy today

bountyhunta87

Smash Cadet
Not really, making so many models for no purpose is a real time sink for a game with so tight development time.

Though, I loved Stickers, so I'm biased.
And now they at least do something or rather have some use (loved trophies and their bios tho), and im guessing there is going to be over a thousand spirits...
(I'm gonna lvl up the hell outta tha Tsubasa spirit)

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Now that the site is working a bit more stable here are my thoughts:

Ken - Cool addition.

Icineroar - Garbage tbh. I hate the over representation Pokemon and FE get, and in the case of Icineroar, there are far better options for pokemon. Icinerorar doesn't even look or fight like a pokemon, just a generic wrestling moveset. Man, screw the furries for this one.

Pirahan plant - this is such an unfunny joke. A slap in the face to every smash fan. I'm not surprised it's free since they know no one would buy that thing. A whole character slot dedicated to a common enemy character? Over Shadow, Geno, Isaac, Bandana Dee, Toad, and so many other great characters, you choose this? And no, don't even begin to compare a mario plant to Rob or GW or WFT. All three of those were highly successful products that sold millions and/or put nintendo on the map.

And then you have the fact that this game is being hyped as the ultimate smash game, the ultimate video game crossover with reps from SO MANY companies and legendary series, where every smash character ever gets to duke it out with one another alongside 3rd parties like Megaman and Cloud, with Sakurai himself stating he is well aware of which characters are popular and which ones fans want (hence Simon, Ridley, and K Rool). But instead of picking someone iconic to stand alongside all the other great characters in the game, we get a damn plant? Just no.

Something deep down tells me the pirhana plant is a "take that" from Sakurai to the Waluigi fans who harassed him, hence why it is so late in development. Sounds outlandish, but it's the only way I can convince my brain to accept this.

And Shadow! My god, what the heck??? what a let down. If he wasn't gonna even be an echo why the hell was he hidden all this time? Wish he'd just gotten the goddamn Ashley treatment already. Same goes for Isaac. That said, the only way I can accept Shadow not being an Echo for a 3 time veteran like Sonic when newcomers like Ryu and Simon got them is if they are planning Tails or Eggman as DLC.

Overall, there is no way I am buying this game or a switch. K Rool and Ridley are the only non-echo newcomers I cared for (and Young Link but I don't think he counts). No Shadow, No Skull Kid, No Geno. Yeah, I'll stick with the Wii u version for what it's worth. And there's no damn way I'm wasting 6 dollars on 5 characters each.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Man Sonic slowing down to try and save Pikachu is so great to me for some reason.

It's nice to remember Sonic is more than just fast talking and lame jokes from time to time.
He's really selfless, no? I'm sure he didn't even think about himself.

Actually, World of Light was ****ing great. It was just right amount of drama and comedy.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Underwhelming, or just overhyped?
Overhyped

Everyone set their expectations too high and they came crashing with all the salt around here. It's nothing new with final characters since Brawl but c'mon guys at least some common sense

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Everytime Incineroar whiffs Revenge, it grabs its crouch...

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Why are people so angry at the inclusion of Piranha Plant when they could've just not bothered and ended the character reveals after Incineroar? They just wanted to have some fun and give us an extra gift, but the cancerous Smash community treated it like Sakurai killed their mother.
at this point im just glad nintendo has some reference to the mario rpg games playable (putrid pirannha attack) but i dont think ill ever get over how incineroar was a base roster pick over literally any of the other fan favorites

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I put Verg vs Grinch as a coinflip, but I actively dislike the guy. His mic-drop Isaac AT announcement was childish and mean to the point I thought he might be making it up to be spiteful. I don't owe him anything.
I don't hate insiders, I hate people who are ***** about it.
It's not like I'll force you to, take it easy. I'm just putting out like this. Though, I didn't feel hit Issac AT post was childish. When someone drives himself to give something to the community then gets so doubted and rejected despite all the effort, this is really nothing. It is actually.
He should get an apology, but he was NOT right about everything, otherwise we would have gotten Minecraft content and a Square Enix rep. And don't say, "he meant for DLC!" That is not what he said.
No he didn't mean DLC but it's a possibility. He didn't say it'll be introduced at this Direct either.. so..

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
After I've let it sit for a bit.. in my opinion..

GOOD
- Incineroar looks much better than I had anticipated him looking, I expected him to be a clone of Bowser so I'm pleasently surprised.
- Ken looks a lot more fleshed out that other echos.
- Piranha Plant looks really fun to play. I always like odd picks and he's a very odd pick.
- My favourites' chances just really shot up, I never really expected them for base game.
- King K Rool is still playable.
- Actually having matchmaking is a huge positive for online.

MEH
- Spirits doesn't look as exciting as Subspace or Adventure, but we'll see.
- I was kind of expecting more than 103 stages (I know, that's a lot, but new 4 stages for launch is a bit low in my opinion).
- Sakurai is locking himself to only 6 DLC, Smash 4 had 7 and that was stretched out over 2 years, this is going to be done in 1.
- Online doesn't seem explained well to me at all.

BAD
- Where did Home Run Contest go?
- No demo, will it be released later?
- The direct itself was a mess, content aside, 20 minutes was decided to what felt like filler.

All in all I'm content, expected a bit more, but not really let done for the most part. 7/10
Pretty much my thoughts in a nutshell. Only thing I have to add is that I'm slightly disappointed that we don't seem to be getting any echoes as DLC. In fact, there seems to be a lot less variety with DLC this time around (just 5 packs with 1 character, 1 stage and some music each, plus Piranha Plant), when I was hoping for more variety (echoes, alternate costumes, etc.).

Untouch

Smash Master
Hey kids were gonna bring back Wave Dashing and all that fun melee crap...

(6 months late)

Heres a bunch of glorified stickers that add a bunch of weird stats to throw the meta game into hell and also no For Glory

I mean i aint no competitive Smasher but i can imagine theyre not very happy today
there is absolutely no way that stickers will even for 1 microsecond be considered legal

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
So who will the five DLC characters be? Place your bets everyone! I'd say we might get:
1. Sora
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Waluigi (yes I know he's already an Assist but this is Sakurai we're dealing with here)
4. Fire Emblem Three Houses rep
5. Gen 8 Pokemon rep

Last edited:

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
Well, ill never believe any leaks when it comes to smash games.
Ill assume the worst possible scenario all the times.

As simple as making this direct in august and the august one in november with the added trailer and everyone will be happy, there would be ****talk indeed but at least we would have known from MONTHS that the top favorite were only gimmicks and stickers. So then we could have recieved the megaton that were the belmont and k rool.

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman
Honestly? Not sure if I'm getting the game after that Direct. I didn't even believe in Grinch and I'm *still* left feeling hollow.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
You kidding right??? 75% of the spirits mechanics are gatcha filler that we won't be even looking at in a month. Sakurai saw the equipment from smash 4 that NOBODY liked and put stickers on them, but they are still random as ****, he put in farming mechanics and ****ty modes... Jeez, it's hard to be mad after such a cool final cutscene but the rest of the direct was such a downer...
Trophies were already gacha so I don't see how this is any different.

And we'll have to disagree on the direct being a downer because I was hyped the whole time.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Now that the site is working a bit more stable here are my thoughts:

Ken - Cool addition.

Icineroar - Garbage tbh. I hate the over representation Pokemon and FE get, and in the case of Icineroar, there are far better options for pokemon. Icinerorar doesn't even look or fight like a pokemon, just a generic wrestling moveset. Man, screw the furries for this one.

Pirahan plant - this is such an unfunny joke. A slap in the face to every smash fan. I'm not surprised it's free since they know no one would buy that thing. A whole character slot dedicated to a common enemy character? Over Shadow, Geno, Isaac, Bandana Dee, Toad, and so many other great characters, you choose this? And no, don't even begin to compare a mario plant to Rob or GW or WFT. All three of those were highly successful products that sold millions and/or put nintendo on the map.

And then you have the fact that this game is being hyped as the ultimate smash game, the ultimate video game crossover with reps from SO MANY companies and legendary series, where every smash character ever gets to duke it out with one another alongside 3rd parties like Megaman and Cloud, with Sakurai himself stating he is well aware of which characters are popular and which ones fans want (hence Simon, Ridley, and K Rool). But instead of picking someone iconic to stand alongside all the other great characters in the game, we get a damn plant? Just no.

Something deep down tells me the pirhana plant is a "take that" from Sakurai to the Waluigi fans who harassed him, hence why it is so late in development. Sounds outlandish, but it's the only way I can convince my brain to accept this.

And Shadow! My god, what the heck??? what a let down. If he wasn't gonna even be an echo why the hell was he hidden all this time? Wish he'd just gotten the goddamn Ashley treatment already. Same goes for Isaac. That said, the only way I can accept Shadow not being an Echo for a 3 time veteran like Sonic when newcomers like Ryu and Simon got them is if they are planning Tails or Eggman as DLC.

Overall, there is no way I am buying this game or a switch. K Rool and Ridley are the only non-echo newcomers I cared for (and Young Link but I don't think he counts). No Shadow, No Skull Kid, No Geno. Yeah, I'll stick with the Wii u version for what it's worth. And there's no damn way I'm wasting 6 dollars on 5 characters each.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ You'll end up buying it anyway.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So..........

Gonna make some people go a bit crazy here, but....

5 DLC characters+Stages, right?

Then why does the stage select screen have room for SIX stages? If we're not getting a DLC button, Random is accounted for, and Stage Builder seems to be gone.... why are there 6, not 5?
Future-proofing. The Switch has at least another four years left in it, and if Smash DLC sells well (which you know it will), they could plan another season. ~10 characters seems reasonable enough given the scope of the game and the Switch's success.
I love that we’re willing “Grinched” as a term into existence
Can we get an edit of this with the Grinch's face on it?

SneakDuckens

Smash Cadet
NNID
heiny13
So, I am super disappointed that the leak turned out to be false, because I really wanted Shadow, but I have to admit, Incineroar looks pretty dope. Do you guys think that the 5 packs will be the only DLC? Or with Nintendo's recent push to add content to it's older games do you think that there might be some surprises sprinkled in? Perhaps an Echo Fighter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom