• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Chrom: WHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYY!?
Piranha Plant: Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk.
---
Also, I felt so sad for Shulk and his vision.
Got major Fiora vibes from that one moment
Shulk: Guys, I don't feel so good... *disintegrated*
Maybe he's the Dr. Strange and let himself go because he knew Kirbs was going to take care of them.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
It's probably Sora lol. Spawnwave and a few others seem to be putting their money on that. A VGA announcement makes no sense for someone like Geno unfortunately
GenoGenoGenoGenoGenoGenoGenoGenoGenoGeno

Really though I'd honestly enjoy Sora, 1 and 2 were great. Everything else bored me except the Roxas game.

It'd be a lot better than being hit with another Cloud situation, like Noctis. Although we did get the Pocket Edition for XV on the Switch... eugh.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
The possibility of Steve, or some other inane third party I have zero interest in, is the entire reason I'm not blindly buying the season pass.
I mean, to be fair, as much as I don’t want Steve, I’m probably still gonna get every DLC character.
Because of two reasons: I feel as though I kinda have to, and why not?

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
If this has taught me something, it's to not expect anything. Sakurai will always do whatever he wants and disapoint a lot of the fanbase.

Sigh.

The online modes are terrible too.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Let's do a mental exercise. Think of Metroid. Think of the essence of Metroid, what you like about the worlds, the music, everything! Think of the characters. Samus and Ridley are probably the first few you think of. Dark Samus probably shows up if you go a little further. Now think of Donkey Kong. DK and Diddy jump out for sure. King K. Rool follows close behind. How about Legend of Zelda? Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf all jump to mind immediately. Pokemon? Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo all instantly come to mind, with Lucario and Greninja showing up later. Let's try Mario! …How many characters did you think of before eventually coming to Geno? Geno's problem isn't a lack of interest or potential. It's that he's essentially a historical footnote in a series with a pantheon of regularly used and beloved characters. He's overshadowed by several characters in his own series to the point where people can easily be hardcore Mario fans, and never know who Geno is. This is something that most characters have never had to deal with before their inclusion. If you were a Donkey Kong or Metroid fan, you at least knew who K. Rool and Ridley were. Can you honestly say the same for Geno?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Still awaiting the 4Chan salt screencaps. This was a great direct with highs and lows.

~Piranha Plant main right here, picking him up the moment he rolls around
~Incineroar is a lot tinier than I expected him to be
~I have a gut feeling that the ATs recieving full-fledged movesets may be a hint for the next game, namely that we'll be seeing an influx of new fighters by then
~Calling it now, the villain of World of Light is Broly (who else do you know who destroyed an entire galaxy, hm?)
~Seriously, lemme see the salt from 4Chan - no, wait, even better, bring on the salt from as many nooks online as you possibly can!
~Hey, at least we won't be paying $60+ for the DLC this time around
~Listen up; fighters can still show up as spirits, so spirits aren't direct deconfirms (Shantae plz)

So, yeah, same ol' direct, same ol' salt storm, same ol' fandom warfare, and you know what? I feel just fine. Just try not to gloat or threaten those you disagree with, yeah? You'll make yourself look just like the 3 Waluigi cyberbullies.
Yeah it's not over for dlc, for some characters.

Also tho, the pirhana plant looks dope.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Also feel awful for Isaac fans, despite not having played his game myself. The teasing was not necessary, at all. Isaac and Shadow fans should have both been let down along with Ashley's fans.
Thank you for your condolences. :grin:

I will still hold out hope for Isaac to be DLC, even if it's less than a 5% chance at this point.

I will never give up on Isaac. Ever.
Pyra Pyra dont think we forgot that you have to eat pants now. Here are a good pair:
EAT PANT

D

Deleted member

Oh and sora’s very likely now. Like I said before I dislike Disney and sora doesn’t appeal to me so eh on that front.

Arthreeteseven

Smash Ace
I’m sure I’m not the first to say it, but Piranha Plant is the most ‘Sakurai’ fighter we have ever gotten. No one could have guessed Pirahna Plant and I cant wait to play as him!!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm sad because I won't be able to buy the game in time to get Piranha Plant.
I don't think they're gonna remove the option to get Piranha Plant, they'll just probably eventually charge you for it.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Skull Kid is confirmed AT on the Smash site, as well as Gardevoir as a pokemon
Sakurai REALLY needs to see this site

Because it's so salty when a Direct happens and we get our favorites buried

BUT HEY!

On the bright side, we should be thankful that Sakurai made them have an appearance in Smash. Isaac coming back is better than him getting left out again like in Wii U/3DS

So PP is the first DLC fighter and we are getting 5 more? If anything I think that may nearly confirm that we're getting a total of 80 fighters

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Here's the funny thing.

He'd probably have a better response to this direct. IF he had done like Street Fighter does and and just said ''These are the 5 you get."

Because he's obviously probably already picked the five.

He could've even just shown them on the mural art or something. That way gameplay is still a surprise he can show off later.

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman
Let's do a mental exercise. Think of Metroid. Think of the essence of Metroid, what you like about the worlds, the music, everything! Think of the characters. Samus and Ridley are probably the first few you think of. Dark Samus probably shows up if you go a little further. Now think of Donkey Kong. DK and Diddy jump out for sure. King K. Rool follows close behind. How about Legend of Zelda? Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf all jump to mind immediately. Pokemon? Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo all instantly come to mind, with Lucario and Greninja showing up later. Let's try Mario! …How many characters did you think of before eventually coming to Geno? Geno's problem isn't a lack of interest or potential. It's that he's essentially a historical footnote in a series with a pantheon of regularly used and beloved characters. He's overshadowed by several characters in his own series to the point where people can easily be hardcore Mario fans, and never know who Geno is. This is something that most characters have never had to deal with before their inclusion. If you were a Donkey Kong or Metroid fan, you at least knew who K. Rool and Ridley were. Can you honestly say the same for Geno?
Who cares.

It would have made a lot of people happy.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Someone explain to me how Rex's costume deconfirms him? I can see why people expect assist trophies to completely deconfirm characters as DLC, but why costumes? Heck, in Smash 4, we got some DLC costumes of playable characters. A character can totally be both a mii costume and a fighter.

Also another reason why Kirby is a good pick to be the starting character in Spirits - he's a character designed for new players to learn with. Mario might be considered to be one of the most balanced, but Kirby is arguably the most easiest for new players to use because of his multiple jumps, intuitive moveset and his down special in Stone which is a move practically meant for new players to use as a crux.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
Sooooooooooooo...
Any idea on what that sprout thing was?
Also we still don't know what Young Link's final smash is.

fortun8

Smash Cadet
what a cool turn of events! i'm really excited for incineroar, admittedly (more than i thought i would be!), and i actually really like the way he looks in terms of gameplay. i might have to add him to my main list!

speaking of that, how many incineroar mains discord servers have already been opened? if there's a big one people are in at the moment, i'd love to help out over there!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm sad because I won't be able to buy the game in time to get Piranha Plant.
According to either the eShop or the Switch's news page (can't recall which), Piranha Plant will be available to purchase afterwards; it's just it being available for free that's a limited time thing.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Alright. So. ... I'm finding myself left uncertain at times. But settling into feeling okay with what happened. The game is still gorgeous looking.

Now...for a more pressing matter.

Who the hell created the "Grinch Leak"? Because holy damn that fooled SO many people. Myself included. The guy or gal literally pulled a bunch of convenient genius moves. They're gonna be hated. Big time. But, I'm so impressed now. Like... Still torn that Shadow got deconfirmed so brutally after surviving the "Spirits" onslaught and being showed off immediately as an Assist Trophy.

Gotta find out who did it now.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Sakurai REALLY needs to see this site

Because it's so salty when a Direct happens and we get our favorites buried

BUT HEY!

On the bright side, we should be thankful that Sakurai made them have an appearance in Smash. Isaac coming back is better than him getting left out again like in Wii U/3DS

So PP is the first DLC fighter and we are getting 5 more? If anything I think that may nearly confirm that we're getting a total of 80 fighters
SAKURAI. ****ING. KNOWS.
THIS DIRECT IS PROOF THE REASON HE DOES THIS IS TO PISS PEOPLE OFF.

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
Geno still has a chance since the 5 DLC characters will be brand new and Sakurai explained that they haven't started work just yet. If you really want Geno to be in this game, now is the time. You HAVE to make your voice be heard.

That being said, my heart sunk to the ground seeing most characters in the Grinch fake leak deconfirmed. I was dreading my visit back here because I kind of knew what the response was going to be.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Personally I came out of that direct incredibly satisfied. World of Light looks AMAZING, and to see all those cool characters and Spirits, plus I was an Incineroar guy so I got my wrestler 'mon. But more than that, the fact that Spirits is basically a mode full of character-themed event matches is a dream. I was laughing so hard at Otacon. If Marina gets a Spirit I might honestly cry...any acknowledgement would be wonderful.

Plus, a Chibi Robo Mii outfit! I never thought we'd get any Chibi Robo content! He was my most wanted during Brawl!

Plus the DLC could be people like 2B, Travis Touchdown, and more...I'm so excited. I get my Switch tomorrow and I'm happy.

Plus, how cool is it we got the Fatal Frame girl as an assist trophy! And the Pirahna Plant? HILARIOUS!

One of mine and my roommates' loudest cheers was for the Ouendan as Spirits! I've wanted the EBA in a game for the longest time, and for them to be a collectable you can power up? Just awesome! Maybe it'll lead to a match with three fighters against you?

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Fellas I gotta say, the fact that they got rid of trophies is genuinely the most disappointing ****.

The ”spirits” are just glorified stickers. They aren’t worth collecting. I hate them.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I’d imagine people would b more receptive of pirahana plant if it weren’t a mario character. I’d imagine many people think “Seriosuly? Another Mario character?”.
I’d imagine I’m saying I’d imagine too much.
Tell that to the Geno fans.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Pretty sure he will only be FREE for a limited time.. I imagine hell be 2 bucks after awhile..
I agree. I was just saying I wish he wasn't coming out 3 months after release, but I understand if they couldn't develop him in time. That also explains why other characters like Skullkid and Geno couldn't get in, if they didn't even have time to finish Petey. (And he was probably a "easy last minute" addition)

theromfather

Smash Apprentice
The direct was confusing. Is it adventure mode where you fight bosses and travel stages ? Adventure mode looks like smash tour and spirits mode is a bunch of stickers. I have no idea if I missed it but what mode are you actually going to those unique stages and fighting Dracula and rathalos and all that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom