• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Not sure how to tell about spirits replacing trophies. On the one hand, trophies were lovely little trinkets and I liked seeing the model and the description. On the other hand, spirits seem like a way for many more characters to be represented, and I like seeing the art of all these obscure characters. For example, Demille was a spirit, and I doubt he would have been trophy if those returned.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
At least Geno is still in the running.... We have to get at least one of the characters people have been clamoring for way back before stuff like Inciniroar was even created... (I don't mind Inciniroar btw)

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
Geno is an obsolete character that isn't even the main protagonist of the game he's in. Every representation they get is through sheer fan support. Same with Isaac, K.rool was in the same spot, too, and made it to playable thanks to his fans.
It's okay to be disappointed, but don't forget that whatever you have now is something you earned through supporting the character after so long. Don't give up now.
I already gave up man, hes not getting because hes a ****ing profile pic in spirits and SE are gonna add Sora instead.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
While Geno could still be DLC, I'm just gonna cut my losses now and say he's not gonna get in...for my own sanity. It's been 10 years and I just don't see it happening at this point. Whether it's something to do with Sakurai or Square (most likely the latter), all I know is I'm tired of the wait. To see Geno not get in when both Ridley and K. Rool do, that sends a message to me that this was always just a dream and that's all it ever has been or will be.

Again, I restate, Geno could be DLC but for my own sanity I'm just gonna say it's over.

Oh well, we still have an amazing roster. I'll check out Piranha Plant when it releases, seems fun.

HeroOfClocktown

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HeroOfClocktown
What page of this thread did the direct start? I want to watch the meltdown from the beginning, thanks.

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how to feel about this Direct..two characters we figured were in the game and the first DLC character reveal was...Piranha Plant...was anyone in the world requesting Piranha Plant?

Brawl had no new unique Mario fighter either..it even lost a fighter with Dr. Mario.
I mean in fairness, Wario.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Conspiracy Theory Time: Geno is actually playable as he is a spirit that was sent to help aid Kirby, just like how he was in Super Mario RPG.
Oh **** oh ****, this is my favourite part. The "they're actually just really hidden in the game" theories!

Ooooooh lemme go find a popcorn gif!

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
that isnt very fair, you could try to change their minds not everyone whos disappointed is unreasonable. Some of them just dislike the removal of collectable trophies and gutting of all star mode..
Yeah, those aren't the ones I'm referring to. I'm not always as clear as I try to be. I don't mind people complaining about specific aspects, but if they're just **** posting memes about the game being ****ty, or saying "F Sakurai", then they're just making the forum less fun.

I've seen people bring up legitimate points about the lacking options in Online, and worry about balance since it looks like a lot of work went into the side modes. Those seem like valid criticisms and something that we can discuss. :)

Edit: Personally I'm a little disappointed that we have 5 DLC characters before the game is even released, and that Petey is a limited offer. I understand... but I really do miss the old days of everything being in the box.
#PeteyMain

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Can someone clarify two things for me? Twitch was in and out and the direct didn't make it obvious enough, given how tired I am...

1. Will Piranha Plant still be available as DLC after the preorder period, but will just cost money?

2. Did we...lose online modes? Like did online actually get worse from SSB4's online...?

If someone could explain these in detail, that'd be amazing...

KMDP

Smash Legend
Geno is an obsolete character that isn't even the main protagonist of the game he's in. Every representation they get is through sheer fan support. Same with Isaac, K.rool was in the same spot, too, and made it to playable thanks to his fans.
It's okay to be disappointed, but don't forget that whatever you have now is something you earned through supporting the character after so long. Don't give up now.
That's right.

No regerts.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Why didn't he know? If he was so confident, he should have specified whether they would be in the base game or DLC. I really don't want vergeben supporters to act smug now even after he didn't get everything right. Yes. Isaac is an AT. Yes. The Grinch leak is fake, but he still missed important details.
https://bit.ly/2yI3yza

Vergeben said last night that the SE character will be DLC, and also saw the video being spread around by Resetera staff that was now confirmed to be Piranha Plant.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Knock it off with the salt images.
Imagine ****ting a diaper so hard that the smell makes you hallucinate into thinking a pirahna plant is a worthy candidate for a fighter in the purported Ultimate installment.
An iconic enemy from Nintendo's flagship franchise that has existed for three decades doesn't deserve to be in Smash, but an irrelevant doll does? What world are you living in?
saltonetta.jpg

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Am I the only one who prefers Spirits instead of trophies? The way to unlock them through basically events sounds amazing and while I won't use the power much, the flavour associated with them makes them more appealing to me.
If the spirits a character bio attached to them like trophies did, I’ll be okay. I really liked just reading about all the characters, items, etc. in smash.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
My source just contacted me, there's one echo they forgot to show:
Planty_the_Potted_Plant.jpg

Planty the Potted Plant will be an Echo to Piranha plant

Last edited:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
If none of it matters, why SHOULDN’T we get angry and insult each other?
Because you'll find yourself getting infracted?
Because it's just a video game?
Because you're at an age where chucking a tantrum is socially and developmentally unacceptable?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Because people matter and not being a douchebag to people matters?

Like what? Why shouldn't I be allowed to be a jerk? I'm not sure if this is in reference to being dissapointed, you're allowed to be that sure, but really no one should be angry or insulting anyone. Because that's rude and you need to get a life if that's what you want to do.

Because you'll find yourself getting infracted?
Because it's just a video game?
Because you're at an age where chucking a tantrum is socially and developmentally unacceptable?
This guy gets it. You shouldn't have to be told to be nice and respectful to people, you aren't 5.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Obviously none of this matters in the long term. I highly doubt any of us shall be thinking of our posts here in 20 years time. However, getting angry is just going to put you in a bad mood, which certainly doesn’t feel great.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Thinking back, Piranha Plant is at the very least a more understandable inclusion than Wii Fit Trainer

I'm shocked people are more salty about PP than they were about WFT

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
What I find hilarious is that the ACTUAL worst case scenario for the Direct came true
Actually scratch that, worst case scenario would probably be Steve for me.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So now that the site isn't totally broken. How's everyone doing with the news?

ExitWound

Smash Journeyman
They're the main villains of their respective franchises. Geno is just an irrelevant side character that only appeared in one game. You can't compare him to major characters like those.
You mean "major characters" that haven't appeared in years. Also since when does being a main character constitute a requirement for smash?
If he's so irrelevant, he wouldn't be one of the top requested characters for every smash game. I can just as easily call your anime swordfighters "irrelevant" for the same exact reason.

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I don't hate Piranha Plant being in this game but I don't exactly like it either. I would have preferred a Koopa Troopa as a retro Mario rep over PP as they are just as Iconic and I personally like them way more. But that's just me.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Literally after Sakurai said ''He's perfect fighter material." and all that and Geno still isn't in despite him adding the two other giant community requests?

Yeah, we're not getting Geno ever. He must have been shot down by Square after all, which is just annoying.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
An iconic enemy from Nintendo's flagship franchise that has existed for three decades doesn't deserve to be in Smash, but an irrelevant doll does? What world are you living in?
View attachment 174596

A world where I didn’t name drop Geno, evidently.

I was fine with Ken and Incineroar in the end, but Jesus Christ on a pine cone was that other announcement a **** move.

Fair play to Sakurai though, it was good sense to make it free DLC, because you can bet your bright red ass hardly anyone will be buying it afterward.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
What the ****. I'm legitimately shocked Smash for Wii U is the lowest selling Smash title. This is news to me.
The Wii U. ****ing. BOMBED.

The console was a massive blow to Nintendo despite the fact that the entire fanbase was trying to convince people other wise (and still is to an extent)

It's why the Switch's success was so important

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Dude. Let's enjoy the ride.

Sora can make it in now. I can feel it.

Especially now that all fighters comes with a stages and music.

I feel it.

Bold theory.

All DLC are new series.
Sora, Rex, Banjo are my current DLC predictions. Maybe Edelgard. But the rest might be surprises like Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom