• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Untouch

Smash Master
By the way, that "Golden Sun" item WAS related to the healing field.

BUA68[1].jpg

lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The hate towards Piranha Plant is unwarranted. That moveset looks like the most unique, off the wall thing we've ever gotten, and makes it the best What the Peck character we've ever had. I honestly don't think anything will ever top Piranha Plant for me, that thing's freakin' nuts, and I've already decided it's my main next to Inklings. In previous games, it was Wario and Luigi for me. For Ultimate, it's gonna be Inkling and Piranha Plant.

Let's be real, guys, a lot of this negativity is salt from not getting 100% what you wanted. This Direct being (Depending on how you feel, these things are subjective!) kinda bad isn't going to all of the sudden make the game bad. This Smash is still going to be phenomenal, and you know what? I'm gonna take back what I said about Spirits. I'm not gonna let my salt from it not being exactly what I wanted ruin it for me. It's probably gonna be fun, and I'm gonna eat aaaaaall those nasty words I said about it. I like Events, and Sakurai seems to be keeping parts about it secret still, so who knows? It could be rad. I'm still a little upset about no trophies, though.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Would Geno be considered a "Super Mario" character.
Because now we have another one, Piranha plant. I'm also more positive on Sora than Geno at the moment.
I still can't get over Piranha Plant. I'm sure this came from a brainstorm. Brainstorm are the main source of stupid ideas like that one.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
A common word that floats around the smash community "ungrateful".
What do you have to be grateful for? Its not like this game is a gift. Its a product, something that you are required to purchase. There is no need for gratitude.
Every character is back? Fine, unnecessary, but fine. There are several characters such as young link and pichu, who quite honestly could have taken a hike.
Pihrana plant is a ****ty addition to the game. Even if there was only one last character, it could have been any of the bignames that are currently an assist trophy.
Of course he's free, who would pay for him? Characters people actually want are going to be DLC. Probably someone like Sora.
Online looks like it'll be even worse than smash 4, its gonna be a used purchase on principal alone for me. At least Wolf and Bayonetta are in the game, I guess.

Calane

Smash Ace
Well, There it is.
Finally the Grinch leak is absolutely ****ing dead. Thanks ****ing god.

Ken and Incineroar's trailer looked absolutely ****ing fantastic and I called it. A double trailer!

Spirit Mode/Story Mode looks absolutely banana. I ****ing absolutely love it. That cutscenes and the music is beautiful.

I feel ****ing sad for Isaac and Shadow who got Assist'd. Skull Kid too. Spring man too.
Rex got Mii'd right as DLC is Announced.

Geno got Sprit'd, alongside Shantae and a DQ slime.

The ****ing Piranhas Plant look absolutely banana, I love it, I was laughing so much!

DLC plan announced with a fighter pass of 5 Characters, stages and music...

Wait... Where is the Square Rep?

Oh.

Oh...

View attachment 174561

Welp... Guys. Time to buckle up. I'm riding that hype train to the VGA for Sora.
I wish you, along with all the other Sora fans, good luck. But I'm also riding that hype train to the Game Awards. But for a different Square Enix rep.

Dragon Quest!.JPG

I think Sora probably has a better shot, but I'm not giving up yet!

D

Deleted member

I'm not even gonna bother addressing this

How about I do it anyways? I'm tired of being mocked and have my ideas shut down. Which is exactly what most of this thread has done to me. I said Isabelle couldn't be an Echo Fighter and would 100% be an unique fighter, yet you didn't listen.
I've been saying the Box Theory was right with the evidence right there based on patterns on the box itself and I was met with "that's just assumptions".
I said Music and Blog Theory were not reliable and based on patterns that didn't exist but people deemed them reliable. The former even after the Pokemon track and the latter until TODAY.
i said Verg was right because of all the info he had gotten correctly yet people revisioned speculation and leak history and acted like he somehow had lucky guesses.
I've been saying the Grinch leak is fake ever since I brought up one of the first oieces of evidence against it, being the shadow inconsistencies, and I received comments comparing it to "hurr durr photoshopped little mac".
If you think I'll just sit quietly, then you are sorely mistaken. You can't kick a dog and not expect it to bite back and quite frankly, I grew tired of this thread not listening to me at all.

And this is not directed at you, I can't even remember if we talked to each other in the past. This is directed at those who refused to listen to evidence in favor of creating an echo chamber based on confirmation bias.

And again, I don't mean everyone, I have a lot of respect for a lot of the users here, specially those who could argue with others respectfully. You guys know who you are, hope I see ya space cowboys on DLC speculation.
I understand you may be displeased at how some people have considered your ideas and disregarded what you have said, but please calm down. Getting angry over this just creates a cycle, and causes hate and discourse. Getting angry will just lead to more arguments and more insults, which we can all agree just isn’t desirable. If you are still angry, just step away from the screen. None of this matters.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I don't give a **** about Verge, so I'm not defending him. But two things:

1) Even if it's just "a sticker" (Spirit) or anything else, there has to be a deal made with Microsoft for use of an IP they own. Nintendo can't just plug the likeness of a property they don't own into their game without the property owner's okay. So, not bizarre. At all.

2) Project plans and negotiations for third party usage need to happen before actual work on any DLC character gets underway. They'd look pretty stupid if they spent months making, say, Geno, then going to Square Enix only to find out they can't use him.
No, I'm not saying they could or should add a Microsoft character as a Spirit/Sticker without making a deal, I'm saying it seems like it would be a waste of time, money, and energy for something so insignificant.

D

Deleted member

By the way, if anyone was looking for the lyrics:
[BEGINNING] Colors weave into a spire of flame Distant sparks call to a past still unnamed Bear this torch against the cold of the night Search your soul and reawaken the undying light
PART 1: On that day, when the sky fell away our world's hint to an end In a rise did it fading sunrise in the dark glimmering shadows Silence grows in the spaces between stretching out, beyond time Rising up, as a chorus of souls find a force, flickering through the void
BRIDGE: These little sparks cling onto life, everyone caught in this struggle and then the storm's of change the fan of flames gathering ashes to the wind CHORUS: Every soul contains a whisper of light Gleaming faintly as it twindles from sight No escape, no greater fate to be made In the end the chains of time will not break Colors with in to a spire of flame Distant sparks call to a pastel unnamed There it is torching against the cold of the night Search your soul and reawaken the Undying Light
PART 2: As fate spins, a thread without end New life draws it's first spread Blossoming, in the soil reclaimed from the past Where destiny holds fast
BRIDGE: Here where we stand, hand clenched in hand Everyone caught in this struggle This is the day we finally find a wave Stepping into our tomorrow CHORUS: Every soul contains a whisper of light Throwing matter as it calls to unite From a distance sings a chorus of souls Rising slowly, stirring heat from the coals Colors with in to a spire of flame Distant sparks call to a pastel unnamed There it is torching against the cold of the night Light will guide you on your way to the ultimate fight
CHORUS: Every soul contains a whisper of light Throwing matter as it calls to unite From a distance sings a chorus of souls Rising slowly, stirring heat from the coals Colors with in to a spire of flame Distant sparks call to a pastel unnamed There it is torching against the cold of the night Light will guide you on your way to the ultimate fight

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who prefers Spirits instead of trophies? The way to unlock them through basically events sounds amazing and while I won't use the power much, the flavour associated with them makes them more appealing to me.

shaggypatriot12

Smash Cadet
So did anyone else think the Ken image from the official new mural looked exactly the same as in the Grinch leak? If so, what does that mean??

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
The one thing I'm really bummed about: Trophies. I did like setting them up - remember the photo gallery modes? That was a;ways fun.

Now, it doesn't seem there'd be a good way to get a character with a specific assist to take a picture without randomly spawning them in battle.

Also - All Star changed to a multiman mode? That doesn't sound as fun...

Here's hoping that Spirits can be fun for single players, because nothing else looks like decent single-player content....

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman
A common word that floats around the smash community "ungrateful".
What do you have to be grateful for? Its not like this game is a gift. Its a product, something that you are required to purchase. There is no need for gratitude.
This bears repeating,

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Why did he wait until just recently to say that? If he knew for sure, he would have mentioned that earlier. Stop kissing vergeben's butt. Being partially correct ≠ being completely correct.
When the Box leak first became a thing he was already talking about the possibility of the character being DLC (mind you he made no promises)

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Ok, I want everyone to listen to me.

The Banner Leak is confirmed fake, however I have a theory.

I think someone made the Banner Leak. That would be obvious right? But it gets weirder.

My theory is that the 'banner leak' was meant as a hype killer for the game. Someone might have probably created that leak purposely because he or she hates Nintendo. And by making that fake leak, the person is hoping to kill everyone's hope/hype for the game, and thus make the game sell poorly.

So you probably got angry because the banner leak was fake, that you believed it and hoped that they were in the game.

MainJPW

M.T.A
You forgot Waluigi, he is also a Mario character. He got AT over Piranah Plant.
Yeah. Toad, too. Also, this came from Tumblr.

The hate towards Piranha Plant is unwarranted. That moveset looks like the most unique, off the wall thing we've ever gotten, and makes it the best What the Peck character we've ever had.
I don't think anyone cares about the moveset, It's probably more because people resonate more with actual characters instead of generic enemies. You know this inclusion probably burned Toad and Waluigi supporters to hell and back.

Last edited:

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Conspiracy Theory Time: Geno is actually playable as he is a spirit that was sent to help aid Kirby, just like how he was in Super Mario RPG.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I understand you may be displeased at how some people have considered your ideas and disregarded what you have said, but please calm down. Getting angry over this just creates a cycle, and causes hate and discourse. Getting angry will just lead to more arguments and more insults, which we can all agree just isn’t desirable. If you are still angry, just step away from the screen. None of this matters.
If none of it matters, why SHOULDN’T we get angry and insult each other?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Geno is an obsolete character that isn't even the main protagonist of the game he's in. Every representation they get is through sheer fan support. Same with Isaac, K.rool was in the same spot, too, and made it to playable thanks to his fans.
Um, K.Rool was Donky Kong's Bowser, the main protagonist of all DK Country games, DK 64, the DK Land games, Donkey Konga, DK King of Swing, as well as all novels, comics and even TV shows.

He is not a 'fan support only' character, by any means.

Only since Rare taking over the DK series has he not fought the Kremlings and their leader.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Why exactly does Incineroar deserve a spot? Isn't he just one of 600+ pokemon?
Because Pokemon makes money. A 20 year old RPG that is never coming back doesn't.
Also Incineroar is loved by TPC, and Geno can't even be added to Mario spinoff games that SE created.

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
I come here to find out people don't think Piranha Plant is the greatest surprise character in Smash history?? What's the deal guys!
He definitely is and him being free DLC makes me a little happier.

But the Direct was too much of a net negative experience for me to care that much. Especially when the plant is only free for a limited time, which is really stupid.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Imagine ****ting a diaper so hard that the smell makes you hallucinate into thinking a pirahna plant is a worthy candidate for a fighter in the purported Ultimate installment.

ExitWound

Smash Journeyman
So waluigi gets shafted for the piranha plant, shadow is an AT again, no geno, no isaac, no mach rider, no banjo
But what we do get is some overhyped cat, a clone who was obviously in from the start, and a mario enemy
so when is Pole's Voice getting announced?

Cause pokemon is huge.
Fortnite is huge, should we expect default skin to get announced next? Or should it be pokemon #11?

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
World of Light is really disappointing. The cutscene got me hyped but the gameplay looks boring. It's just a map with regular battles, not an adventure mode.
It's a mix between classic and events from Melee. I'm actually super ****ing stoked for it. There's going to he so many weird fights lol

The_Intruder

Smash Apprentice
My apologize for those who believed in box theory, you were right totally right.
But now I know sakurai doesn't always follow the ballot to choose a character, when he said he looks at the ballot for king K rool it was really only for King K rool and seeing kirby is the character that will save everyone yeah this is definitely a sakurai's game.
This is the first time I find a smash direct "brutal" the way they've dismissed everyone. I'm personally fine but I can understand why this is gonna hurt for years for some fans(Hate of sm4sh for many years even today because of the ESRB leak).

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I don't know how to feel about this Direct..two characters we figured were in the game and the first DLC character reveal was...Piranha Plant...was anyone in the world requesting Piranha Plant?
Piranha Plant. I love all WTF fighters from Sakurai.^^ But PP makes sense, because without it would be the first Smash Bros. that has no unique new Mario Fighter.
Brawl had no new unique Mario fighter either..it even lost a fighter with Dr. Mario.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think I realize why even though I love Mario series and love it getting another rep, I just.....what at the Piranha Plant.

It's because it feels so very Mario Kart. Not Smash. It feels like that WTF Mario Kart roster slot that gets in over someone who is just common sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom