• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
He should get an apology, but he was NOT right about everything, otherwise we would have gotten Minecraft content and a Square Enix rep. And don't say, "he meant for DLC!" That is not what he said.
No, he never said the square rep was "meant for DLC", he also never said it was base

He just said a square rep, and the fact that he couldn't even get a character name is telling to the fact that it's very likely the info he got is very early info for a square dlc character

DaisukeReds

Smash Rookie
I'm actually very surprised with how bad content-wise was this Final direct
** No Break the Targets, Board the Platforms and no HomeRun Contest?
** SPIRIT mode looks like Events and nothing really speacial at all.. why so much attention and secrecy for something not-special?
** Taking out the Trophies makes sense because that was a LOT of work that I assume not many people actually cared about in the end (when they are too many, I just stopped caring about collecting them).
** NEWCOMERs are great, even Piranha Plant (being creative and original and seemingly fun). But should have left Simon or King for a final reveal.. even Ridley! Finish strong unlike today.
** Weird Online changes. Instead of making it better, it kind of seems the same (maybe worse?)
** The World of Light or whatever looks great, and I always appreciate these cutscenes.

But that sad Sakurai face.. Even though we have gotten some ridiculous characters I would have never expected to play with, people complaining about this being terrible? Believing a leak is our own fault, and there is nothing but waiting for the reveal of these 5 new characters we'll eventually get. If they are good? Great.

Last edited:

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
I honestly can't even look at Piranha Plant without bursting out laughing. People can be disappointed, but this ****ing plant is the trolliest, most hilariously awesome inclusion I can think of for Sakurai's WTF pick.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
thoroughly disappointed in geno probably being deconfirmed including dlc. but piranha plant looks unironically fun and was a good troll for waluigi fans

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Somehow kept my expectations low and didn't believe in any leaks and still got kinda disappointed. Kinda sad that even after all the demand for him Isaac still only gets to be an assist. I'm glad we got Ken, I'm completely indifferent to Incineroar, and Pirahna Plant honestly just seems kinda dumb to me. Like, I don't think a WTF character has ever really bothered me as much as having a generic Mario enemy playable over so many of the characters that deconfirmed. But hey if he wanted shock value he got it, anything is fair game now.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Piranha Plant is the best. Sakurai is a mad man and I can't wait for Pichu vs Piranha Plant at the EVO 2019 Grand Finals

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
Spirits shouldn't be used as disconfirmation for characters. They're basically stickers and existing artworks. Plus, remember Mewtwo and Lucas's trophies before DLC in 4?

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Shadow being an AT character still is a major blow...but the new story mode seems hot

D

Deleted member

i think guile assist was the highlight of the direct for me
he literally just crouches and waits for you to approach so he can flash kick you
now i know for sure they keep as true to the original series as possible
Can't wait to flowchart Ken online!

...If I pay for online...

Shroob

Sup?
Don't backpedal. Vergeben never said both of those would be DLC. He never even mentioned DLC in general.
Actually, as soon as Box Theory grew in popularity, that's one of the very first things he said, admitting he had no idea if they were DLC or not, because even HE doesn't know who they are.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
im honestly tired of being excited for smash lol

having a character hyped up by sakurai as being highly requested, a perfect character for smash, and a character sakurai wants in the game just for him to be a ****ing profile picture for an online mode (not even a spirit) ****ing sucks and i regret wasting the past 5 years of my life getting excited over a character that probably wont get in

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
**** me I hope LOZ gets some kind of bone in DLC. For the third most relevant Nintendo series next to Pokemon and Mario it's ****ed up how shafted they've gotten with newcomers
Yeah it’s pretty damn terrible. I kinda have a little hope for it since the Yiga Clan got a Mii Swordfighter costume and all... but definitely won’t hold my breath for it.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
i think guile assist was the highlight of the direct for me
he literally just crouches and waits for you to approach so he can flash kick you
now i know for sure they keep as true to the original series as possible
That's i do while playing as guile and chun li since i suck at their inputs

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Holy **** Final Fantasy doesn’t even have an Assist Trophy. Square is literally the only reason why I have no hope for Geno as DLC. I just don’t see them allowing him to be playable over their most notable characters. Plus they’re stingy as ****.

D

Deleted member

I hate the fact that the Plant is a thing.

Because i liked the rest of the Direct.

-I am excited to see my friend who loves Pokémon using Incineroar.
-I want to hear the Metroid and Castlevania songs, alongside Guile’s theme.
-Thank god for Mii Costumes returning and not being paid DLC.
-I liked the twist with Spirits and the fact that Adventure Mode looks interesting.
-Ken looks solid
-The game modes interest me.
-The K.Rool amiibo looks dope.
-I want to know the DLC.
-Etc...

I am literally happy about everything... But at the same time furious over the Plant being a thing.

If it wasn’t for it, i would be talking in a more positive manner... But it just made me hate something more than Madden Player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
Didn’t people agree that after the direct, we shouldn’t rub it in people’s faces if x theory was correct or wrong?
I invite people to rub it in my face, honestly. I got played HARD, and if people want to rub it in, that's their prerogative.

Just don't be like vaanrose.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Actually, as soon as Box Theory grew in popularity, that's one of the very first things he said, admitting he had no idea if they were DLC or not, because even HE doesn't know who they are.
Why didn't he know? If he was so confident, he should have specified whether they would be in the base game or DLC. I really don't want vergeben supporters to act smug now even after he didn't get everything right. Yes. Isaac is an AT. Yes. The Grinch leak is fake, but he still missed important details.

skullkidfordlc

Smash Rookie
Since we know echoes won't be DLC, that means that there are 3 distinct categories that will determine DLC. 3rd party, 1st party, and assist trophies. Will there be 3rd party DLC reps, and if so, how many? Will assist trophies be able to be upgraded? How many Nintendo characters that aren't assist trophies will be DLC?

If all reps are 3rd party heavy hitters:
Rayman
Sora
Banjo
Geno
Minecraft Steve

Alternates: Hero, Crash.

If assist trophies can get upgraded to playable:
Waluigi
Skull Kid
Isaac
Geno
Banjo

Alternates: Bomberman, Shadow, Springman.

If only Nintendo reps that aren't already assist trophies:
Dixie
Chibi-Robo
Bandanna Waddle Dee
Chorus Kids
Rex & Pyra

Alternates: Elma, Mach Rider, Birdo, King Boo, Goomba.

Personally, I think some combination of the above could make up the 5 DLC reps - possibly a mix of characters from multiples of the categories.

Last edited:

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
So tell me: How many of you are actually not gonna buy the game because of this Direct?
I need to gauge whether I was right about the community’s reaction to the game or not.
Oh, im still gonna buy the game but i am very disappointed about a couple aspects of ultimate, online seems to have taken a step back where you have a chance to play a match without items (i may be wrong but ill check the direct later to see if i got anything wrong) and for the secrecy around spirits it just ended up being glorified gacha system. Them not showing at least one character for the dlc pass is also an issue for me, but ill see where that goes. So yeah, im still buying the game but i think a few things could of been done a lot better in a reasonable way.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I want to cry so bad man.... they ****ed over Geno....

Again.
Geno is an obsolete character that isn't even the main protagonist of the game he's in. Every representation they get is through sheer fan support. Same with Isaac, K.rool was in the same spot, too, and made it to playable thanks to his fans.
It's okay to be disappointed, but don't forget that whatever you have now is something you earned through supporting the character after so long. Don't give up now.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Rex & Pyra AND Geno Are Deconfirmed

If you all will allow me, please let me Scottpost one more time. Because deep down, I wanna say some of the most craziest stuff, you'd be shocked it'd came from me. So please, let me just get this off my chest.

View attachment 174533

I don't wanna get into this one. I've been crying for the past couple of minutes about this.
I now know how you Issac and Shadow fans feel.

I honestly feel ****ing empty after that and ruined the entire Direct for me. Not even the Xenoblade 2 music made me happy.
Mewtwo_trophy_SSBWU.png
g9POzc6.png

Yeah, sure, deconfirmed. Whatever you say.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
So

We didn't see Squirtle and Ivysaur amiibo, did we? How is a PT amiibo going to work?

Shroob

Sup?
Why didn't he know? If he was so confident, he should have specified whether they would be in the base game or DLC. I really don't want vergeben supporters to act smug now even after he didn't get everything right. Yes. Isaac is an AT. Yes. The Grinch leak is fake, but he still missed important details.
Vergeben flat out said the reason he doesn't know 'who' they are is because he has a list of SE characters. "APPARENTLY", heavy quotes here, Square actually is spreading confusion and misinformation.

D

Deleted member

Yo, Nekoo Nekoo DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon ****ing hold me man. I'm dying, and as much **** as I give Kingdom Hearts... I'm starting to love the series, too.
Y'all please help me drag my corpse so that I can at least see Sora make it in.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Holy **** Final Fantasy doesn’t even have an Assist Trophy. Square is literally the only reason why I have no hope for Geno as DLC. I just don’t see them allowing him to be playable over their most notable characters. Plus they’re stingy as ****.
they let sakurai use him but only as a ****ing pfp for the online. whether that was squares choice or sakurais isnt known but either way it sucks

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom