• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
So let me address one thing.

I was linked dozens of times to the two or three artists claiming the leak was too hard to make, every single time I insisted it wasn't. Over and over, my points were ignored and Triple1Dee's post was constantly referenced as "evidence" that the leak was too hard to fake.

Well, it doesn't matter how many people can't make it. All it takes is one person who can. I was and am very confident that I could reproduce that leak over a weekend. Omni straight up said it was like a four hour job for him.

Listen to people who know what they're talking about.
That's why I was neutral team

Both sides had good evidence

And I said I assumed it was fake leaning toward real I was wrong but I'm not that upset its because we got amazing stuff in smash and we should enjoy it

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Again, let people complain, some of you are highly self righteous.

This isn't like God saving the Israelis, giving them food from literal Heaven, and they repay him by worshiping a golden statue of a cow.

It's a commercial product sold by a company for superfluous use

KMDP

Smash Legend
I actually wanted one of Bowser’s minions to be a character. I would prefer a Goomba but Piranha Plant is fine.
Piranha Plant was such a hilarious choice I couldn't help but laugh.

Fans: "Mach Rider seems like the obvious Sakurai choice this game."
Sakurai: "*****, please. I picked Piranha Plant."

Never try to predict the unpredictable, you'll fail every time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just reiterating this.
People are allowed to be dissapointed. You’re allowed to have opinions.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I just realized, Cloud isn't even in the Adventure Mode intro.

What the **** Square.
Guess they didn't want their character to be shown getting owned like that.

hang on did they confirm or deconfirm trophies?
Deconfirm. Spirits is their replacement. Trophies take a lot of time and work to model, so Spirits lets them just grab official artwork and renders to paste into the game instead. Like Stickers from Brawl, except a little more substantial.

Works for me, though I will miss trophies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Geno isn't disconfirmed and I don't understand why y'all keep saying that.

Spirits are essentially trophies, and Geno is apparently a tag for online anyway, not a Spirit.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

C'mon Zoe you can still do it. Just get up on that stage, and remember to sing your heart out.

Khao

Smash Lord
lol. Because everybody needs to be "grateful" right?
At the very minimum I'd expect people not to throw insults to Sakurai as if he had personally stabbed them in the back. It's one thing to be dissapointed. It's fine to be dissapointed. But some of the reactions in this thread are utterly shameful and I'm having a really hard time being sympathetic.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
I’m gonna say it as bluntly as possible: If you think Sakurai ain’t gonna upgrade Spirits and ATs to playable for DLC you’re a ****ing idiot.
After this fiasco, ill just expect the most ****ed up from sakurai.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Tbh, I’m neutral about how this direct went down. Sure, spirits wasn’t what I expected but the game has so many other good things going for it that it’s not that big a deal to me. I just wish Sakurai went over ways to unlock characters.

Again, I’m actually happy with Piranha Plant and I can’t wait for the Incineroar wrestling memes.

Syntherios

#MasterChief4DLC
NNID
Syntherios
Switch FC
SW-0693-8607-4207
Piranha Plant was such a hilarious choice I couldn't help but laugh.

Fans: "Mach Rider seems like the obvious Sakurai choice this game."
Sakurai: *****, please. I picked Piranha Plant.

Never try to predict the unpredictable, you'll fail every time.
If Sakurai wasn't considered a mad man before, he definitely is now.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
So tell me: How many of you are actually not gonna buy the game because of this Direct?
I need to gauge whether I was right about the community’s reaction to the game or not.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Can anyone tell me where I can find Inicneroar or piranha plant carácter renders?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
How I feel every time this conversation starts again.

While I'm not going to entertain the argument for too long, maybe listen to someone with actual years of experience in marketing when I say that the likelihood of the box being another placeholder is extremely unlikely by this point. Saying that the opposite is agreed upon "by almost everyone" is like polling a waiting room on the likelihood of a tumor being benign while ignoring the doctor.

And to avoid this becoming argumentative, look. I get it. People want to believe that there are more than two more characters left to be revealed. But I get really, really, really tired of people mixing up something being unlikely and something not yet being proven. Those are two different statements.
This is the only "I told you so" I plan on posting here.

Dreaming big is great. Chasing dreams is great. Imagining all the possibilities instead of confining yourself to a single option is great. But the way that many on this forum got nasty toward people who understood that the marketing materials released were almost entirely certain to be final and choosing to follow the logic dictated by those marketing materials was not great, and made coming here kinda suck for awhile. I got really tired of being told that my near-decade of marketing experience didn't matter because **** you that's why.

Box theory was right. Logic was legitimized. Fake leaks got the community too hyped up on unreal expectations and deflated the final reveal, just like I've been saying for two months. Here's where I drop my mic.

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
LOL

Thank god that i wasnt really hyped for the grinch leak.

The direct was underwhelimng tho, but still im fine.

I just want to play the game already.

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
So let me address one thing.

I was linked dozens of times to the two or three artists claiming the leak was too hard to make, every single time I insisted it wasn't. Over and over, my points were ignored and Triple1Dee's post was constantly referenced as "evidence" that the leak was too hard to fake.

Well, it doesn't matter how many people can't make it. All it takes is one person who can. I was and am very confident that I could reproduce that leak over a weekend. Omni straight up said it was like a four hour job for him.

Listen to people who know what they're talking about.
Your points were bad and you didn't know what you were talking about.

You ended up being right on accident.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Guess they didn't want their character to be shown getting owned like that.

Deconfirm. Spirits is their replacement. Trophies take a lot of time and work to model, so Spirits lets them just grab official artwork and renders to paste into the game instead. Like Stickers from Brawl, except a little more substantial.

Works for me, though I will miss trophies.
drat i loved trophies

Chrollo.

fka president wario
People keep saying "Vergeben was right" oh yeah? Well if that's true then where is the Minecraft representation? No stage, no assist trophy, it would be pretty ****ing bizzare to make a deal with Microsoft for a sticker. Also, where is the Square Enix DLC character? He said in the Direct that they hadn't started work on DLC other than the stupid Piranha Plant.
Just because they haven’t started working on them yet doesn’t mean that they’re not in the project plan. More than likely a Square character IS in the project plan.

Kawaki&Boruto98

Smash Apprentice
this website isn't done yet. there's still 5 characters to predict and guess. so i'm guessing i'm gonna still be here even after the game's release

SushiRoll

Smash Apprentice
So tell me: How many of you are actually not gonna buy the game because of this Direct?
I need to gauge whether I was right about the community’s reaction to the game or not.
Honestly before the grinch thing I was indifferent to the game. I'm indifferent again.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Well, this was an interesting but solid Smash Ultimate Direct.

Not surprised with the Ken Echo and Incineroar as the new fighter reveal. Verge was pointing at them being playable, and they seemed more and more likely with each passing day.

I'm pretty happy for Ken! I've wanted him to be playable in Smash ever since Ryu was first leaked in Smash 4, mainly as an alternate costume of Ryu. With the reveal of Echo Fighters, I thought Ken would fit very well for that role, and here we go, he's finally in! Awesome! Not sure if I'll main him though since I still need to learn how to use Ryu properly, but it's pretty cool.

Incineroar is my least favorite of the Alola starters. I was rooting for Primarina since she's one of my favorite Pokemon and my favorite Alola starter, despite the fact her chances were looking pretty low compared to the other Alola starters. I wouldn't have minded Decidueye either since I like him too. Incineroar... well, I've warmed up to the Pokemon since S/M's release and started to like how expressive he is, but he just isn't an Alola Pokemon that I wanted. Still, I think he turned out pretty well in Smash. His model is on-point, and I like how we finally have a true wrestler in Smash with his inclusion. Congrats to the Incineorar fans that have been wanting him in Smash!

And it turns out Ken and Incineroar are the final newcomers prior to the game's launch. Damn. Looks like that box leak was right all along. Would've been nice to sneak in one more new fighter to reach the gold number of 75 prior to the game's launch, but oh well. It's still a pretty good roster.

It also meant the Grinch leak got completely deconfirmed. I was rather skeptical of that leak when it first popped up, and it looks like my skepticism turned out be right. Yeah, it just sounded like a too-good-to-be-true kind of leak.

Spirits seem to be an enhanced version of Stickers from Brawl. Not sure what to think about that right now, but in the context of the new Adventure mode, they might turn out to be more fun than I thought. Sucks that trophies aren't coming back, but I can understand why they're absent as Sakurai explained.

I like how you can customize the rules for online battles with random people instead of just friends. Looks like you can finally completely replicate the meta rules for online play! I'm still worried if lag will still be an issue, but it seems like Sakurai is aware about the issue by having the game making you face more local players online when choosing opponents. I still need to buy a wired LAN adapter, so I guess that's a potential Christmas gift to look forward to.

As for the Assist Trophies, Black Knight as a new AT is interesting. Nice that they brought his Heroes voice too. Same can be said for Adult Tiki. RIP Shadow, Isaac, and Spring Man though. Looks like Shadow is still locked to that AT role, Isaac was brought back only to be reconfirmed again, and it seems like we won't even be getting a new Arms rep for DLC with its mascot turned into an AT. Spring Man was one of my most wanted too, so his reconfirmation did sting a bit for me. Still, good to see we at least have Arms content in the game.

Oh hey, Yoshi'a new Final Smash is the stampede from Melee! I really like the reference!

New Mii Costumes are cool. I like Mii costumes, so I'm all in for their return.

DLC is confirmed! No surprise, but glad to see it's there. Nice to know 5 fighters are on the way as part of the Fighters pass. I hope Professor Layton is one of them! I also hope we'll get more DLC beyond those 5 fighters that are part of the upcoming pass (maybe another Fighters pass for 2020), but I'm prepared for the worst.

Piranha Plant is an actual newcomer? WOW, now THAT'S a shocker. Looks like he's the completely unexpected newcomer for this game. I honestly thought they were going to reveal Petey Piranha when the Piranha Plant showed up (I initially thought Piranha Plant would be an item), but what we got instead shocked me! It's going to be fun seeing all the reactions. I also like how its final Smash is a reference to Subspace Emissary with the way Petey Piranha comes into the battlefield and attacks with the cages.

I wonder whether or not Piranha Plant is among the 5 fighters part of the Fighter pass. I hope/don't think so. They said Piranha Plant is a free download, not something you have to pay for. They also didn't talk about a new stage with Piranha Plant's reveal.

The new adventure mode looks pretty cool so far! I wonder who this new enemy will be. Is it Taboo again, or maybe a different form of him? I got Taboo vibes seeing that orb in the middle and the wings, though they looked more angelic than the cyber-butterfly wings of Taboo. Seems like Shulk's vision wasn't enough to help most of the fighters escape those beams of light, but Kirby managed to escape like a badass (gotta love Sakurai's bias coming through by having the character he created being the one to escape it and be our starting hero for this adventure)! I don't see it having as engaging of a story as Subspace Emissary, but it still looks promising. Nice to see that it'll even bring back some Subspace bosses like Galleom.

Fun Direct overall. Looking forward to picking up the game next month!

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
So. My only question regarding the Grinch leak now is who did it.

I hope to god it wasn't MTP, but I feel like chances are it's him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom