• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Apparently Geno isn't a Spirit, but a tag for online.

So, while being a Spirit probably wouldn't have disconfirmed him anyway, he's definitely still in the running.

#GenoForUltimate

I'm also waiting for that Minecraft DLC if Vergeben is 100% correct, hopefully Banjo-Kazooie will come alongside Minecraft.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I cannot even be salty about Piranha Plant (not like I was salty to begin with, but still), I literally burst out laughing when the realization hit me. One of my favorite Smash newcomers, ever :laugh:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Im sorry to say this but some people are just idiots. Is not about the game, is about how people like you "omg we got everything and yet you moan". First of all everyone is entitled to think whatever they want, second you jusst cant defend this direct as a fan of smash, what if i didnt want everyone back? What if absolute dread the newcomers? What if i despite this ****ty online mode that is prehistoric compared to modern standards?

I dont care about those gimmick modes, nor those newcomers. Hence this direct was objectively the worst when it comes to smash reveals.
I specifically said it was fine to be upset or disappointed. There's things I'm not happy with as well, and there's plenty of things to criticize. I'm also upset about how online is being handled! Criticize and express disappointment all you want, I just ask that you be reasonable and mature about it.

I'm seeing people say that the presence of a Piranha Plant somehow literally ruined the game entirely. It's hard to say those people aren't overreacting. If something like that upset them that much, were they ever excited for it in the first place?

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who thinks Spirits mode looks amazing?? As a huge jrpg fan, leveling up in smash bros is something I've wanted for a long time. I love the repetition of grinding for levels in games and I hope to have to grind lots of spirits to level 99
I know this isn't a joke, but it sounds like one to me because I believe the exact opposite. I hate grinding and having to deal with level ups, so Spirit Mode sounds terrible to me.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Im sorry to say this but some people are just idiots. Is not about the game, is about how people like you "omg we got everything and yet you moan". First of all everyone is entitled to think whatever they want, second you jusst cant defend this direct as a fan of smash, what if i didnt want everyone back? What if absolute dread the newcomers? What if i despite this ****ty online mode that is prehistoric compared to modern standards"

I dont care about those gimmick modes, nor those newcomers. Hence this direct was objectively the worst when it comes to smash reveals.
While I don't personally agree on some of your opinions...

Finally, someone said it.

More content is not the same as content everyone enjoys.
And people are "entitled" to express their opinions, positive or negative, on a public sharing forum.
No opinions or emotions are mandatory, and change with each person.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Okay, I couldn't be more wrong. Let's see...

• Ken and Incineroar are dope as hell
  • Lifelight is my new jam
  • They finally brought back Stickers as Spirits and they look awesome
  • Spirits looks pretty fun. They really worked hard with their limited time to make events something more
  • Last trailer was freaking amazing
  • Fatal Frame, Shadow, Spring Man, Isaac's return... this games has the best ATs
  • Miis look better than ever
  • I'm sure I'll warm up to Pirahna Plant but atm I'm too busy with laughing at "all newcomers will be fanservice" people
  • Smash fandom is acting like ungrateful little ****s but this is less suprising than Kencineroar

Standlord

Smash Cadet
I get your frustrations, thd dlc is still a bit too expensive this time but I'll probably get it as long as there are no Bayonetta like characters that I hate.

If you're a hardcore fan of smash though I think you'll come around. At least piranha plant is really unique and you just have yo get the game before 2019
Look, the game is amazing and I'd like to play it of course. But it's not worth giving them so much money when so many things are done so badly. I don't even know how to express this appropiately since english is not my first language: I've played hundreds of hours of every smash game, but I'm never a hardcore fan of anything, even with things I spend a lot of time with, because I find that to be just a way to blind yourself. I cannot applaud the decisions Sakurai and his team made with this smash by giving them money. And this critique is without even considering the characters that got deconfirmed and probably can't be DLC anymore (Geno, Isaac, Shadow and more) or the fact that we only got what, 6 or 7 completely new characters in the main game? in return for some things getting cut and other things getting done badly, the online that doesn't look good... I could go on. The expensive DLC crap and the Piranha Plant is just the straw that broke the camel's back (and yes the character looks fun but literally no one asked for it and there are still a lot of fan favourites that got left out). Also getting the game before that date to get Piranha is more crap.

However, I hope you have a great time with the game, but it's not for me anymore after this.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
LeakyPandy is still doubling down that Skull Kid is a boss as well as an assist trophy.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Apparently Zelda's VA in Ultimate is Kira Buckland!?

Can anyone confirm this?

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I’m gonna say it as bluntly as possible: If you think Sakurai ain’t gonna upgrade Spirits and ATs to playable for DLC you’re a ****ing idiot.

Dukemon

Smash Apprentice
Piranha Plant. I love all WTF fighters from Sakurai.^^ But PP makes sense, because without it would be the first Smash Bros. that has no unique new Mario Fighter.

Untouch

Smash Master
I think it's funny that everyone was saying that Mach Rider had to be real because we don't have a WTF reveal, but now are mad that Piranha Plant is in as a WTF reveal.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Since Piranha Plant is playable that means Tetris Block has a chance, right? We’re in this *****, boys.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
People keep saying "Vergeben was right" oh yeah? Well if that's true then where is the Minecraft representation? No stage, no assist trophy, it would be pretty ****ing bizarre to make a deal with Microsoft for a sticker. Also, where is the Square Enix DLC character? He said in the Direct that they hadn't started work on DLC other than the stupid Piranha Plant.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Site is getting major slowdown and its lagging the rest of my system, gonna go for a bit someone call me back when someone adequately explains how spirits are inferior to trophies in every way.. I'd rather not be the one to argue that cuz it'd involve alot of hitting people over the head with newspaper..

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I know this isn't a joke, but it sounds like one to me because I believe the exact opposite. I hate grinding and having to deal with level ups, so Spirit Mode sounds terrible to me.
Nope, it's no joke. I love leveling up

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Well, There it is.
Finally the Grinch leak is absolutely ****ing dead. Thanks ****ing god.

Ken and Incineroar's trailer looked absolutely ****ing fantastic and I called it. A double trailer!

Spirit Mode/Story Mode looks absolutely banana. I ****ing absolutely love it. That cutscenes and the music is beautiful.

I feel ****ing sad for Isaac and Shadow who got Assist'd. Skull Kid too. Spring man too.
Rex got Mii'd right as DLC is Announced.

Geno got Sprit'd, alongside Shantae and a DQ slime.

The ****ing Piranhas Plant look absolutely banana, I love it, I was laughing so much!

DLC plan announced with a fighter pass of 5 Characters, stages and music...

Wait... Where is the Square Rep?

Oh.

Oh...

81a561f17f7635271d9e92f541fb6c9a61283e34_hq.gif

Welp... Guys. Time to buckle up. I'm riding that hype train to the VGA for Sora.

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
So with online, no way to ensure you can play a one on one with no items? That's how I understood it. If so, that's a big step back.

Bee Card

Smash Ace
Sorry but worse direct... no Mach Rider... Isaac deconfirmed... That ****ing weed as a character instead of idk Geno, Banjo, Bandana Dee or whatever... Holy **** xD

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Well, that’s it, I guess. I kept my expectations low, and didn’t get disappointed (except for when Piranha Plant was revealed. It was like I opened a present only to find a middle finger inside of it). All that’s left to say is...
End of Grinchgelion: You Can (Not) Leak

Eru13

Smash Apprentice
So, Skull Kid and Gardevoir were also disconfirmed by the website...

Yup, I now don't really care about who's getting in as DLC, I just hope they're at least fun to play

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Cut ATs:

Infantry and Tanks
Kat and Ana
Lakitu and Spinies
Saki Amamiya
Tingle
Elec Man