• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Untouch

Smash Master
With Sakurai killing almost every "lock", DLC season is going to be very interesting.
I don't like how he's basically locked himself into only having 5 though, if the stage slots are for DLC.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I'm still happy. I'm sad Shadow and Black Knight were deconfirmed (and my sympathies go out to Isaac, Spring Man, and Tiki fans as well), but the game still looks phenomenal and I cannot wait for launch day. Thank you Sakurai & co. for putting so much hard work into this game, I know I'll get plenty of enjoyment out of it.

My best wishes to you all as well, may be less active until the dust settles.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Ya know Vergeben was wrong about two things too now that i think about it.. As far as we see no minecraft as stage, AT, or Steve. And also no Second Square Rep.. yet..

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
I2019
Also a question...I feel like we won’t get any more cut scenes for “world of light”
What do you guys think? Would be awesome if we did tho
I'm guessing we'll get a finale scene and psuedo cutscenes for all the bosses. Hope there's a lot of bosses

Arthur97

Smash Master
Also, I like that Galleom (or whatever his name was) is back. With the new baddie looking like a powered up Taboo, we will probably get even more callbacks.

Let the OG Master and Crazy Hands come in at the last moment and save the day.

Whia

Smash Apprentice
I still can't believe Box Theory was right.

I was even one of the people who, not necessarily bought into it, but couldn't find a way to argue against it.

I was never on #TeamReal for the Grinch either.

****in' Box Theory, dude. They seriously inadvertently revealed the total base character count 3 months before launch.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Honestly, I haven't been more excited for this game until now. We are getting 80 characters by the end of DLC. The Banjo and Sora dreams are still alive, and the direct at least ended some speculative choices (Rex, Skull Kid, Isaac, Spring Man, possibly Geno, etc).

I'm gonna say, with careful confidence:

- Sora
- FE Character (Edelgard)
- Capcom character (Dante)
- Bamco fighter (Lloyd, Heihachi or Yoshimitsu)
- Banjo and Kazooie (gonna hope for this until the end)

Very happy that in the least, this direct deconfirmed a lot of choices which makes DLC speculation much easier and less bloated now.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I just realized that Incineroar has realistic muscles on his arms. I'm not sure if that's terrifying or hilarious.

You know what? I'll say it's both. It's terrifying and hilarious. Jeez look at that face though.
Realistic muscles? It's kind of like how I drew him the other day (link EDIT: fixed the link, the shuffle from the other day's board crash shifted my post to a different page).

Also, I love the fact that he poses after every powerful attack, that's something I'd have never thought of but makes so much sense in hindsight.

Congratulations to all Incineroar fans (especially the Noipoi Noipoi , glad you got one of your two most wanted. :))

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
So many characters unconfirmed and yet the Bandana Dee hope is still alive for DLC.

That's the only thing I care about now.
Me right now with Dixie, those 2 are pretty much the only popular first party characters not accounted for which is both weird and good, hopefully it's not just a case of sakurai just forgetting about them...

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Legit shocked that box theory was actually correct. I figured there was no way they'd show promotional art that would give that away, but I guess so. Got no Geno, but never expected him. I'm officially at the stage now where I have accepted it will never happen. I can hope for Sora now.

Andrés1996

Smash Rookie
Adventure model is just glorified Smash tour with cutscenes

Butcher oh course, nintendrones will defend this

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
At this point one of the first season of DLC better be an assist trophy promotion to revive hoeps for shadow, spring man, and isaac. The season set up looks good, five characters five stages and music for the cost of less than the characters in Smash 4 were.. and it may be only the FIRST of multiple seasons if i had to guess.
"Press X to doubt"

X

Season 1 has to be a strong start to any future DLC. I'm expecting hype third parties and first party juggernauts (who would that even be at this point?) that can drum up sales. I'm talking characters like:
  • Sora
  • Geno
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Steve
  • Banjo & Kazooie
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Monster Hunter
  • Dante
  • DOOM Guy
  • Dovahkin
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Rayman
  • Tails
  • Joker/Yu Narukami/Demi-fiend/Flynn/Jack Bros. (Any Persona/SMT rep really)
  • Arle Nadja
  • etc.
Upgraded assist trophies (minus Isaac and Waluigi) aren't hype enough.

For a Season 2 though, I could see something like that occurring.

Interesting note, but Chorus Kids are still in the running as DLC characters.

Updated predictions for DLC:
  • Sora
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Steve (Vergeben will be right)
  • Capcom Rep (Mainly between Phoenix Wright and Monster Hunter, with Dante as a dark horse pick)
  • Bethesda Rep (Either DOOM Guy or Dovahkin, maybe a Fallout character)

Also World of Light is ****ing hype and the Smash Ultimate theme with vocals will be the next Jump Up! Superstar.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I still can't believe Box Theory was right.

I was even one of the people who, not necessarily bought into it, but couldn't find a way to argue against it.

I was never on #TeamReal for the Grinch either.

****in' Box Theory, dude. They seriously inadvertently revealed the total base character count 3 months before launch.
The thing people who were against box theory underestimated most, was the capacity for human stupidity to pull such a boner by revealing such vital info..

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Brain: Include Piranha Plant because he's funny and original.
Big Brain: Include Piranha Plant because he's recognizable and iconic.
Galaxy Brain: Include Piranha Plant because we need more grass-types to balance out Squirtle.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Well, Sakurai had a history of starting strong and finishing like a wet fart and that much sure hasn't changed.

-For glory is gone, so whenever the system can't find someone who wants to play a certain way, you can find yourself getting dumped into a match you don't want to play and will probably be penalized for leaving it

-Online options still look overall lackluster, though I'm hoping elite mode will make up for it

-Tons of development time poured into what equates to SSE 2.0, a mode that was laughed at for how awful it was with a story so unclear that Sakurai literally had to explain it on the blog afterwards because so many people asked him for clarification

-No demo announced (may still come later, but this would be the time to announce it, really)

At least Incineroar looks like he'll be fun and a heavier character, but everything else felt like a an instructional video on how to disappoint your fans, and that's not even counting the Grinch leak.

All I wanted for SSBU was better balance and better online options, but it feels like the last time so much time and energy was poured into side modes was Brawl and Brawl's balance suffered horrendously as a result. Thank god we'll have post-launch balance patches or we'd be ripe for MK 2.0.

And my sincerest condolences to all of the Banjo, Isaac, and Geno fans out there. With Ridley and KKR being added, it lulled many people (myself included) into a false sense of "Sakurai is going by ballot picks this time!" and I now feel immensely, IMMENSELY lucky that either of them made it into the game. :(

Previous hype cycles for SSB games have ended like wet farts and this was the wettest fart of them all... *sigh*

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If Vergeben is correct, we're gonna get Minecraft DLC.

Hopefully we'll get Banjo-Kazooie too.

Skull Kid was disconfirmed so I'm sad about that.

Geno is still in the running as far as I can tell due to Spirits essentially being Trophies, and there may be some playable characters as Spirits from what I read(?).

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I agree. There better be character promotions. Spring man should not be an AT. And I hope we get echos as DLC in some form. I mean, the concept feels underused given who we have.
Yeah they're totally gonna plan those characters as DLC while developing the game with them as assist trophies at the same time.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
People need to understand that PIRANHA PLANT IS NOT FROM THE FIGHTERS PASS
I think that they would do good on clear thsi confusion as soon as posible :/

they said that the dlc characters would have a stage and music tracks. so far i havent seen that frompiranna plant, but more importantly, is it going to cost the same price than other fighters post prerelease?
Is it even going to be avaiable post prerelease?!. (if this is the case, you may say bye bye to its competitive viability)

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Where's the dislike button?
Just put them on ignore lol. I'm ignoring most of the people who are just raging since there's nothing to discuss with them. They can be mad and complain (I don't mind some complaining about specific aspects, but as soon as people start acting like this is the worst game ever because they got their hopes up for a fake leak), and I don't have to read it lol.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Guys, Piranha Plant isn't a part of the final 5.
Im honestly kind of surprised that people were this confused about this. He specifically mentioned both that none of the pass characters would be revealed and that Piranha would be a freebie extra for buying the game early.

Off topic a bit but yikes this forum was awful for a little bit after the direct. It was soooooooooo sloooooooooow

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
What happen to that Vlad the Impaler guy who considered Box Theory backers to be as bad as Hitler?

I need to see his thoughts on this

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
Unpopular opinion:
I think being an AT actually increases one's chance as DLC.

It means Sakurai is acknowledging them, and that in itself puts them in a huge advantage.

But most importantly, they got a lot of the assests ready to be playable, so it would be much easier to implement them.

And don't say "Oh but we can't remove an AT just to make it playable". That's a stupid rule that isn't even close to being official.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I'm happy with ultimate regardless

I was expecting it to be fake we should all enjoy smash ultimate anyway we got Ridley and king k rool

But I would say

Keep an eye on

Geno, banjo chorus kids, mach rider they might be doc since ken's pose almost a perfect match

Gabans

Smash Rookie
Hello everybody! This is my first time posting (and probably the last too, I kind of enjoy more reading people's opinions than expressing mine for some reason), but I think the occasion totally deserves it...
I FREAKING LOVE PIRANHA PLANT! Love these whacky, totally unexpected characters. Not only does she look fun to play as, but also spices up future DLC discussion (though I feel sorry for Isaac, Shadow and Geno fans -well, the latter can still hold out hope I guess!). She also kiiiinda makes sense in a way in hindsight, filling the WTF quota, Sakurai always loves to throw us a curve ball every game doesn't he.

Totally maining Piranha Plant! (sorry :ultinkling:)

Chrollo.

fka president wario
My DLC Predictions:

1. Sora
2. FE Three Houses character
3. Gen 8 Pokemon
4. Banjo
5. Waddle Dee

I’d imagine if season 1 does well we might get a DLC season 2

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
Disappointing is the word that comes to mind. I knew Ken and Incineroar we're possibly it, but man it was disappointing. Not sure why they chose to end on those, the least hype of newcomers Imo.

Pirahna plant is a weird choice and not one to really get people going. Lots of other choices would have made people happy. Not sure where this pick came from.

Spirits was confusing, did it have to with the story mode? They made it seem like they tied together but the whole presentation was really confusing and a mess.

Overall, I know I'll love the game, but they should have ended with the 8/8 direct, this one was the worst one by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom