• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Smash Ultimate is a pile of Horse ****,
Change my mind.
We have Ridley, K Rool, All previous characters from all older games. Isabelle,
And RPGish story mode.
Online that looks to be decent.
103 stages.
Planned DLC.
There are probably other modes that have not been mentioned yet (maybe. doubt it, but maybe.)

I think this is an overraction.

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
Yikes...this place turned into a ****storm like I predicted. It's okay to be disappointed, truly. But some of you guys...your salt levels are extremely high.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Speaking of which, can someone help me get an avvy with both Incineroar and Piranha plant? It is to fulfill my promise of an avvy that shows the reality we live in. Thanks in advance!

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Just so you guys know PIRANHA PLANT IS NOT ONE OF THE FIVE DLC FIGHTERS IN THE FIGHTER PACK. They're a standalone character that you get for pre-ordering the game, and will (likely) be available on their own after being free. If they were a part of the fighter pack Sakurai would've specified that.

Fred Herbert

Smash Rookie
The direct was disappointment, sure. But that Piranha Plant trailer looked so much like a Geno trailer at first. I thought he was gonna pop out and help Mario fight Piranha Plant something. Also, Geno wasn't a spirit was he?

Enchess

Smash Lord
Ahm.. sorry guys but I have the urge to say this... ahm..

HAHAHAHA.. Vergeben was right.. doubter owns him an apology

HAHAHAHA.. No Shadow, No Issac.. and NO GENO!!!!

Well, and no Goemon too.. HAHAHAHAHA XD

Well, I got something better than expected.. An assist Dr. Wily. Better than a boss :D

Oh boy, what a dream crusher that Direct was XDD.. ahh, oh boy, Goemon fans are used to it XD
I put Verg vs Grinch as a coinflip, but I actively dislike the guy. His mic-drop Isaac AT announcement was childish and mean to the point I thought he might be making it up to be spiteful. I don't owe him anything.

I don't hate insiders, I hate people who are ***** about it.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I dunno guys, I’m pretty happy.

My guy Incineroar is in.
Piranha Plant is gonna be top tier.
World of Light looks amazing.
Geno could be dlc.

I’m satisfied.
Character-wise it's fine (cept for a few lock outs like shadow, isaac, and spring man) but one of the major modes got really gutted for this version of smash.. all star mode was great as it was! and more than that there is also the removal of trophies. Ok modelling a bunch of them would take for ****ing ever but cmon we all loved looking at em adn collecting em and seeing our virtual trophy collection! only way it'd be ok is if spirits also had the same collectability and profiles as trophies then we can have alot mroe of them in a Spirit Album. cant be just for story mode stats too utilitarian... The Story mode look's great and i honestly think the level to level mission structure is alot better than the fanfic platformer in a fighting game stuff that subspace was.. Though who knows at this point?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Honestly

I love Piranha Plant and I totally should have expected you all to be really angsty about it so I probably shouldn't have come back. And honestly it wasn't nearly as bad as people are wetting themselves over lol

:)

AugustusB

Smash Champion
That was quite a show. My condolences to all of Team Real expecting and banking on the Grinch (myself to a degree), but now we know that there will be 5 DLC Characters with stages and Music. Never lose hope!

Well, The box was true. However it was a good execution to show off Ken and Incineroar.

Incineroar Poses as he fights!? I love him.

Spirits seems interesting. Might feel better once we get our hands on it.

However, World of Light sounds AMAZING!! That vocal cover touched my soul! That was a great way to end it after the slaughter at the beginning.

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed, but my fight hasn't truly ended yet. No, my dream's last stand is at the Game Awards. If by some miracle, Erdrick or some other DQ character is confirmed as a DLC character, then I'll be completely satisfied. I'm going to hold out hope until the very end.
lol, you shouldn`t even have to worry about that, the SE rep will either be Sora or Hero from DQ

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
So, now that most of the popular picks (Isaac, Skull Kid, Shadow, Spring Man, Rex & Pyra, Geno?, etc.) are out of the way, the real question is:

Who the **** is going to be DLC?

Nintendo needs to pull out the heavy hitters to drum up hype and sales. I believe most of them will be third-parties based on the Smash Ballot, and maybe 2 or 3 Nintendo characters.
  • Sora
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Banjo & Kazooie
  • Capcom Rep (?)
  • Nintendo character (but who would it be?)/Sega Rep (Joker, Yu Narukami, Tails, Arle Nadja)
I'm most confident on the top three making it in, and I could see Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, or Dante as our Capcom rep. From there, I have little idea.

Unfortunately, Joker isn't looking likely, but I never expected him anyways so it's okay but it still hurts

Rayman possibly? Tbh I'm only saying him cos I want him and my top two most wanted are basically deconfirmed.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
A horrible thought just occurred to me.

If Robin's still the slowest character in the game... He'll be slower than a literal potted plant.

...Yikes.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
The direct threw me! Not surprised with the final roster, but WOW Piranha Plant?! I gotta say, they placed him well in the direct for a joke character. First they confirmed there would be dlc fighters, confirmed 5 and then confirmed Piranha was separate and free. Couldn't make me mad.

But I realized with the final roster being 74+1 Plant , then +5 dlc fighters we will have exactly 80 fighters at the end. That's an epic selling point.

I'm really interested to start speculating dlc...only because of the Spring man assist and Rex costume. The fact that they already know characters will come with stages...I think that means they know the 5 dlc characters already. I'm going to spend some time thinking about it...but I'm currently thinking Geno, Sora and Banjo...I'm just hoping they aren't all 3rd party characters :(.

Finally, although I doubt anyone will read this with how fast the thread is moving (and how broken the site is) my heart goes out to those who believed the Grinch leak. I hope you're all still just as excited as me.

Alchadylan

Smash Cadet
Piranha plant isnt one of those five
This was literally the most disappointing the direct could possibly have been. Kencineroar was it. Spirits is just the trophy replacement. Then ten minutes of irrelevant details and too much on spirits. Dlc but only 5 characters and the first one is ****ing Pirahna plant. The first smash character I'm actually going to skip. Never thought I'd say that. Then there's a new story mode but it's just a map with regular battles. All I have to look forward to is Ridley and K Rool. This was the opposite of hype. ****ing Pirahna plant killed a part of my soul. I've always been of the mindset that no one should harass Sakurai if the direct doesn't meet our expectations, but he knew what he was doing with ****ing Pirahna plant, so whatever happens he did it to himself.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
We have Ridley, K Rool, All previous characters from all older games. Isabelle,
And RPGish story mode.
Online that looks to be decent.
103 stages.
Planned DLC.
There are probably other modes that have not been mentioned yet (maybe. doubt it, but maybe.)

I think this is an overraction.
Gameplay is still the same as 4. That is why I'm mad. Also ganon still looks like he sucks. R.I.P. me

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Aside from the fighter reveals, it was a very good direct. My only question is: where is stage builder? Also, where's break the targets? Maybe they're in the game but aren't important enough to cover in a direct. Also, I hope we one day see the return of board the platforms (and the Meta Crystal stage)

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
The thing is? He doesn't. Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Shy Guy. Just 3 Mario Gooks who would've made a lot more sense.

It also doesn't make sense to say ''I chose fan favorites" and then over look the numerous Mario fan favs left in Toad, Paper Mario, Waluigi, Geno.

It's just kind of a slap in the fact of both the ''Mario Henchman Rep" and the face of the fan favs who deserved it before him.

I'm sure he'll be a fun unique newcomer, but it's just....

Man....what the **** was he thinking?
Yo, uh, "gook" is really not the word you're looking for. I assume you mean "mook," right?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
The growth bubble in the Wendy's trailer is called "Healing Sprout". It acts as a healing version of a sticky bomb.

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
I guess I'm the minority of people who actually extremely dislikes random WTF characters. I would rather have a highly requested newcomer with an interesting moveset than a random character with an interesting moveset

google chrom

Smash Apprentice
Grinch fans were oblivious to all the evidence against it. This is going to be a classic case of confirmation bias and following red herrings to make their case.
is this what you've been waiting for?

**** the direct right?

and the majority of people who wanted to believe in something really awesome.

glad you can be happy though.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm going all in on supporting Sora seeing as Joker isn't as likely.

Here's to hoping my boy comes home at the VGAs.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Those were disappointing losses. I love model ripping, and the trophies were always a fun thing to see.
Ultimate has the characters, but I think it is lacking something. Still, not much was given in the direct. It was still rather vague.

I like the ideas of Assists. But overall, I want it to be Thwomps, or characters that have not seen the light of day for eons. Not Arms dude. He is a new IP. he should be playable.

Still, I am going to remain hyped for the game.
I am slightly disappointed because even though I knew it was 72 (a gut feeling. Nothing more), I was hoping for the 73rd. The surprise Square character. For Geno.

Oh well.

As for the Deviant art account. It was from years ago. I would let it sit. :-)
I was a fan of Jolly jack at the time, and that stuff does not need to be on this bored.
At this point one of the first season of DLC better be an assist trophy promotion to revive hoeps for shadow, spring man, and isaac. The season set up looks good, five characters five stages and music for the cost of less than the characters in Smash 4 were.. and it may be only the FIRST of multiple seasons if i had to guess.

D

Deleted member

No. I won’t accept it.

Even if Crash joins, this game lost me with the Piranha Plant.

It has ruined the game for me.
Piranha Plant is just too pointless in my eyes.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
So, this is a reminder.

If you want no cuts, you get less newcomers.

People did not seem to grasp such a concept.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Just gonna note that male WFT trainer was a spirit and a playable character so it doesnt deconfirm anybody for DLC.

Also note that ISAAC a requested character that is from a franchise with no reps cant get in but

ROB a piece of trash can stay for about 4 games.
ROB single handedly saved the videogame industry after the great crash in the 1980's. He's also got a unique character design and attacks.

Mr game and watch WHO LITERALLY HASNT GOT NAMED OUTSIDDE OF SMASH CAN STAY IN.
Yes, because the Game and Watch series were the very first type of portable videogame, which ended up creating the idea of handheld consoles such as the Gameboy and has carried on through since 1979. And again, he has a unique design and moveset.

Both are in for reasons of historical importance to not just Nintendo but gaming as a whole, as well as helping keep the cast of smash characters diverse and interesting.

Not counting out spirits, but we still haven't see the rumoured Bethesda content...
Because it was just an unfounded rumour.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
The direct was disappointment, sure. But that Piranha Plant trailer looked so much like a Geno trailer at first. I thought he was gonna pop out and help Mario fight Piranha Plant something. Also, Geno wasn't a spirit was he?
Geno was a spirit, but so was K.Rool and WFT, so I don't think it means much

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Rayman possibly? Tbh I'm only saying him cos I want him and my top two most wanted are basically deconfirmed.
Well there's suppose to be a rabbid peach spirit from what I read so Ubi was contacted at the very least for some smash content.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
If you're disappointed or upset, that's fine. I'll admit that direct was underwhelming in a lot of ways.

But if you're irrationally angry and are acting like you've been robbed, you probably need to go put the keyboard down and take a long shower or walk and let your head cool down. That's what I do when I get upset. Then think about what parts of the game you're disappointed in and which parts you're excited for.

Oh yeah that BK assist looks great though. Shame he couldn't be an echo fighter (I'll admit it'd probably be a ton of trouble to make him work as one anyway, but probably not much more then Ken), but at least Fire Emblem now has a second AT! I'm hoping that assist trophies serve as mini bosses or something in the new adventure mode. At the very least we know they'll play a role in spirits, as that Imprisoned Spirit match has shown us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom