• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
That Adventure mode trailer gave me chills. Everyone is DEAD! (except Kirby) Also the old boss from the subspace emissary boss (forgot its name) IS BACK!!
Edit: Is this the sequel to Subspace Emissary?

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That was a lot to take in.

1. Ken is in and he has most of the stuff I'd want him to have, Multi-Hit Tatsu, Fire Shoryu, Kick Focus Attack and new Final Smashes.
2. Icineroar looks sick, even cooler than I first imagined him being. Gonna try him out as soon as I can. He's got a ton of personality.
3. RIP my boys Isaac and Spring Man. But at least they are in the game at all.
4. Gutsman remix is cool.
5. RIP Black Knight too, he even has a red effect on his sword.
6. Dr. Wily is an assist too? That's pretty cool.
7. Shadow's still an assist too, so that's a bit disappointing for those that wanted him.
8. Spirits mode seems interesting.
9. Glad 100 man Melee is back.
10. All Star from the get is cool, though it seems to work more like a typical Survival mode.
11. Guile's a good choice for a Street Fighter Assist.
12. Season Pass confirmed 5 characters and 5 stages at least.
13. Poor Sakurai, man just wants a break.
14. Everyone got bopped like some some Infinity Gauntlet/Zeno ****.
15. Shantae made a cameo of some sort.
16. Adventure mode looks cool, but I just want to fight a ton of bosses already.
17. Shulk's Spider-Sense couldn't save everyone.
18. Online mode has me a bit worried, I hope it'll end up well.
19. Fatal Frame is back at it again I guess.
20. ***** WHO THE **** WAS EXPECTING PIRANHA PLANT? EXCUSE ME! BRUH, BEFORE B.DEE, WALUIGI AND TOAD. NO ONE SAW IT COMING, THIS IS WEIRDER THAN WII FIT TRAINER, **** YOU. I'm interested in using it though.
21. Is Piranha Plant apart of the Season Pass or not? That's what I'm confused by, because it sounded like the Season Pass characters weren't started yet.
22. Yoshi's got that Melee Stampede for his new Final Smash.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Out of all the popular characters. We could have had Geno, Isaac, Banjo, or any other actually requested character. But no. ****ing Pirahna plant. This is literally the worst possible smash character. I ****ing despise joke characters. Characters that or only in for a laugh are bad enough in regular fighting games. But in a crossover with a very limited roster it's just ****ing unacceptable. **** this. **** Pirahna plant.

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
The only thing correct from the Grinch Leak is ... of all things ... Ken's pose. So... that's weird. But in the end pretty inconsequential.

This board is going hyper. From what I can tell from Twitter, Reddit, and here .... this is largely a disappointment (though with a number of people hyped, I'll admit). So I think people will buy the game, but damn ..... I've never seen hype killed so quickly.

.... The piranha plant ... really?

Should've skipped the 8.8.18 direct and folded it into this one. That would've been a better marketing move.

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
Well that Direct was extremely disappointing/soul crushing to say the least (After a whole of month of patiently for ****ing thing)!!!!!!!

No Modes shown off (With classic mode being the only thing we have to play through offline)!

No new items!

No new pokemon assist!

A Plant With Teeth on it (Yeah, that's truly worth spending all my hard earned cash on) being Included as DLC as opposed to something awesome like A Crono From Chrono Trigger Or Sora From Kingdom Hearts, Banjo And Kazooie, Mach Rider, A New Kid Icarus/Earthbound character or any other Grinch leak character

Sprites Mode and the Word Of Light just being a more redundant version Smash Tour!

Those stupid Mii fighters hogging up the alternate costumes and the main cast not getting any!

Online still not being improved on!

Isaac, Shadow, and Spring Man being assist trophies!

Final Fantasy not getting an Assist Trophy!

Trophies being removed completely!

Pokemon taking up half the roster completely!

That second Square Enix Character Vergeben talked about not being in the game whatsoever (Which would have saved the Direct completely)!

No More Stages!

It's this rate! I won't be looking into getting this game or getting A Nintendo until they decide to release some DLC that isn't as ****ing stupid as the piranha plant (I honestly think Sakurai just got lazy at the last minuet and decided to throw in a random Mario enemy almost nobody asked for)!

I ashamed that I wasted all my time commenting on this thread waiting waiting for a final Direct that was a massive dumpster fire! And with that! I say farewell to you all until DLC is shown off!

GOODBYE AND GOOD NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I'm so excited for revisionist history when people say in about 3 months "Well actually Piranha Plant makes a lot of sense when you think about it"

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
All I can really feel is "Hmm."

I'm gonna need a couple of hours to process this direct and how I feel about it.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I'm so sorry for my behavior from earlier. I owe the insiders and vergeben an apology. It should have been obvious that the Grinch leak was too good to be true, and you know what? I'm STILL hyped for Ultimate! SEVENTY-SIX CHARACTERS, with more on the way for DLC! Ridley and King K. Rool. A new story mode with cutscenes! Lots of language options! A FREAKING PIRANHA PLANT. I MEAN, WHO EXPECTED THAT? In fact, I think he's a better choice for a Mario rep than Geno. Piranha Plant is incredibly iconic and still relevant. HE DESERVES to be playable more than an irrelevant side character that physically appeared in one old game over twenty years ago and wasn't in anything since. Incineroar honestly doesn't look as bad as I expected, and Ken was a no-brainer. I'm so ashamed of all the ungrateful fans who continue to bash Sakurai even after everything he has done. This is going to be the greatest game of all time! DECEMBER CAN'T COME SOON ENOUGH!!

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Piranha Plant is the most Sakurai of any Sakurai picks.
Really confused with the Grinch leak and why ACP didn't just come out and say it was false.
Incineroar does look great though, I love him and his trailer.
Online is pretty disappointing, but the game still looks great and I'll definitely get it.
GG WP Box boys

JoshOmega

Smash Rookie
I’m happy incineroar is in but I feel awful for the people who got their hopes up with the grinch leak. Really hoping the remaining for make it in as dlc. And to Isaac and shadow fans I’m so sorry.also piranha plant has to be the most wtf fighther lol that said I kind of want to play as him

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I cant quote people since the site is running really slowly, but just to those out there who may have mentioned it, the banner leak did NOT get Ken right. It got his placement right, but his portrait was wrong. He was doing a high kick in the portrait, but in the mural, he's doing a flaming shoryuken.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Piranha Plant is hilarious.

Also, while I don't like the Kirby bias, I do like that they actually talk. Fox seemed to be taking charge too.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Come on guys. No salt please. You are better than that
No, we honestly aren't.. especially if you take away fun collectable trophies for glorified stickers, lock fan favorites in assist trophy Riker's Island and Mii Costume Attica, and confirm the least possible hyped theory.. Oh and also kick Waluigi fans in the nuts again.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
This was literally the most disappointing the direct could possibly have been. Kencineroar was it. Spirits is just the trophy replacement. Then ten minutes of irrelevant details and too much on spirits. Dlc but only 5 characters and the first one is ****ing Pirahna plant. The first smash character I'm actually going to skip. Never thought I'd say that. Then there's a new story mode but it's just a map with regular battles. All I have to look forward to is Ridley and K Rool. This was the opposite of hype. ****ing Pirahna plant killed a part of my soul. I've always been of the mindset that no one should harass Sakurai if the direct doesn't meet our expectations, but he knew what he was doing with ****ing Pirahna plant, so whatever happens he did it to himself.
Piranha isnt part of the pass

SolMerse

Smash Rookie
NNID
Simon12345678901
3DS FC
2494-9816-7019
Switch FC
3440-5635-5714
that was the funniest thing holy lord
rip grinch gang

but even as a team real, my opinions are mixed here
i have zero issue with the roster
the new fighters look really interesting and cool, including piranha plant

but i have to say the lack of trophies is a big blow

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
Well the Direct was underwheling.

Still, im happy with this game, already got my boy Snake and all that dlc from SSB4 that i ddint buy (I was a student with not job at the time).

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Grinch fans were oblivious to all the evidence against it. This is going to be a classic case of confirmation bias and following red herrings to make their case.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Well, disappointed Grinch wasn’t legit.

But a lot more hyped for pirahna plant than I could have conceived.

And Geno not getting hit by assist trophy syndrome, I’m saying is a lock for dlc.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Why people saying "No Geno?"
He never apeared in the Direct!
And we have 5 DLC.
He has alot of chances in my book now.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Raw reactions: I loved every minute of this direct.

Ken + Incineroar look great in-game; I actually prefer Ken to Ryu in Street Fighter, so seeing him come with his variations from SFII Turbo intact is really satisfying, and Incineroar looks like he'll be great fun. The cinematic between them + Little Mac was fantastic, well animated and choreographed.

Seeing Trophies are indeed no longer a thing in Ultimate surprised me. Spirits make sense as their replacement, though I don't see myself letting them go unless I can get multiples of them, as I do want to collect all of them if possible. It'll be like having a comprehensive art gallery present, and I'm hoping we have a bunch of them in the game (seems all but certain).

Spirits Mode is quite intriguing to me, and I really love the RPG style of it. Probably one of my favorite parts of the entire direct, and I feel it is going to make for a great Single-Player mode.

Online stuff sounds promising, and I love the lobby that is featured when playing with friends. Being able to spectate is a wonderful feature, and I'm definitely going to make use of that feature once I start dabbling into the online.

I'm definitely purchasing the Fighters Pass, as I bought all of the DLC in Smash 4 except for the Mii Costumes, so I'm going to be very curious which five get added in. All will be unique fighters as well, so that has me quite excited!

Never expected Piranha Plant to be a playable character, and my goodness does it look like a blast. I'm definitely looking forward to using it once it drops in February, such a great WTF character in my opinion.

Also, that vocal arrangement of the main theme got me tearing up hard, it is so good! Adventure Mode looks awesome, and I laughed so much when seeing Kirby as the sole survivor of the battle. Makes sense though as Kirby is canonically the strongest fighter in the roster. ;)

A tad disappointed that there was no demo announcement, but I figure this direct plus the Treehouse footage and other gameplay footage that pops up will keep me busy until the game launches though. Time to rewatch the direct many more times over the next several weeks lol

All in all, I'm more excited for Ultimate now than ever, and December 7th can't come fast enough for me.

D

Deleted member

Also for people worried, Piranha Plant almost certainly isn't included in 5 DLC characters, considering the season pass is available at launch and he's also free at launch.
Kinda strange to pay for something you got for free, no?

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
First off:
My condolences to everyone who didn't get their pick. Here's hoping DLC will be your moment.

Second:
Awhile back someone (I forget who) said they figured Spirits had 60% chance of being Adventure Mode, 30% chance of being a Subspace-esque Story Mode, and a 10% chance of being some other Sakurai weirdness.
But it looks like it's... all three???

Also Pirahna Plant lol wtf why did Pirahna Plant get in instead of Waluigi or Geno or heck even like a Hammer Bro or literally almost anything or anyone else from Mario
I'm so confused

Last edited:

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
7000 pages! Awesome to be in the best Smash Bros Community! Today we amazing Smash bros Direct that blew off everything about leaks (expect Vergben) and gave us a random Plant as a character now I want Goomba as a playable fighter...

Anywho, you guys should definitely check out Twitter about Kirby because there are so many funny post :laugh:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I know it's ungrateful to complain, but I'm disappointed. Not because of Incineroar, I got over that quickly. I'm disapointed with the lack of trophies (replaced with ****ing stickers, the one thing I was GLAD didn't return in Smash 4) and the way the Direct was presented, I wanted to see single player modes and instead we get 10 minutes of "Help and Options". Also Piranha Plant is stupid, just really stupid.

I'm just sad now.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Adventure Mode is back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom