• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
This was literally the most disappointing the direct could possibly have been. Kencineroar was it. Spirits is just the trophy replacement. Then ten minutes of irrelevant details and too much on spirits. Dlc but only 5 characters and the first one is ****ing Pirahna plant. The first smash character I'm actually going to skip. Never thought I'd say that. Then there's a new story mode but it's just a map with regular battles. All I have to look forward to is Ridley and K Rool. This was the opposite of hype. ****ing Pirahna plant killed a part of my soul. I've always been of the mindset that no one should harass Sakurai if the direct doesn't meet our expectations, but he knew what he was doing with ****ing Pirahna plant, so whatever happens he did it to himself.

D

Deleted member

Welp, I think it's time for me to shuffle off for a few days before people start getting really nasty with each other.
Back to my daily grind without the anxiety of unrevealed characters bothering me.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
And I wonder is piranha plant the character that had video leaked?

If not we are missing someone else

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
I think Elma is almost guaranteed DLC now. There was no mention of Xenoblade Chronicles X at all while they showed off 2. If Sakurai planned the DLC in advance it would make sense.

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I was a little disappointed that both Box Theory and Vergeben were correct, but then I saw the Spirits mode at the end. Today is still a good day even if the Grinch leak isn't real.

Not to mention the fact that Shrek still has five chances to get in the game!

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So does the whole 5 DLC characters thing mean they already have them planned? And it will only be 5 characters?
I'm positive those 5 will already be in development.

As for only 5, I'm betting it depends on how the first 5 sell and how long it takes them to make them.

Personally, I'm hoping a couple Echo fighters get thrown in there in between those 5.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Piranha Plant was more or less the only thing I enjoyed in this Direct. Hilarious and completely out of left field.

Otherwise, Spirits looks pretty lame, Kencineroar truly being the end of the base roster is as underwhelming as it gets, thanks to everyone on here lamenting that very scenario for weeks and dragging down any sense of hype, Isaac, Shadow, Rex, Spring Man and Black Knight are all dead in the water.

Meh. I just tuned out the direct and kept working. Still hyped for the game, but I was hoping for a different end.

Except Piranha Plant. He's the holy grail.

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
The worst thing was i wasn't expecting anything fruitful from the grinch, and im fine with ken and firekitty (they actually look really clean!) and the new adventure mode looks ok. But man everything else was pretty disappointing, spirits seems like a glorified gacha, from the way they said it online doesn't seem to be that good and overall the direct was surprisingly boring after ken and incineroar

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
My disappointment is IMMEASURABLE, and my day is ruined.

To describe that Direct as a slap in the face would be the biggest understatement of all time.

- Ken was a lock, so no hype there.
- Incineroar looks like uninspired garbage.
- Spirits looks lamer than I could ever have possibly imagined it to be, and they spent a million years on it. They even said stuff like "this should be a dream come true for some players" which was EXTREMELY insulting.
- Lots and lots of fluff with nothing too new or exciting.
- World of Light looks mediocre.
- DLC is confirmed, so knowing I'll never own the complete roster (because DLC is scummy trash) rends my heart to pieces.
- Absolutely no justification for it being 40 minutes long.

There were four specific things I liked:

- Piranha Plant being a free sample DLC character was nice of them. It being a wild and unexpected character that opens the door to other meme picks is nice, as well. Kind of a kick in the balls to Waluigi fans, though. Honestly.
- Rex is deconfirmed. Get ****ed.
- 11 different language options.
- The World of Light cutscene thing was fun.

4/10 direct, utter disappointment. congrats to team fake, you earned your bragging rights. Please gloat and don't feel bad about doing so. You earned it.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
Can we just talk about how GOAT it is that we're getting what appears to be a sequel to the Subspace Emissary? That cliff looked to be the one from Brawl, plus Galleon's in it. Would love it if we got some cool references, or even if some threads left open were explained (like how the characters actually got out of subspace at the end)

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
Okay guys look. I said I was leaving...but I need to main that Piranha Plant. He's so stupidly goofy. I kept my expectations low, got the people I guessed, and then the story and just...it was beautiful. I love it. I'm crying...

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Guys, reminder that Pirana Plant IS NOT one of the 5 DLC from the fighter pass, it is all on the Smash Website.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Here are my pros & Cons for this Game:
I. CONS[I put cons first, because I have a LOT more gripes than praises, and it's easier to list what I Don't like, than the VERY Few things I like about this]
A. Incineroar's inclusion is Redundant[SMASH ALREADY HAD A FIRE-TYPE Pokemon Starter Final Evolution aka Charizard; AND A BRUTAL Fighter in the form of Ridley]
B. Isaac's Not Playable
C. Ken's Ryu's Echo Fighter[I was hoping for another Villain Character such as Akuma, or Evil Ryu]
D. GENO'S NOT IN.
E. Banjo & kazooie aren't in
F. THEY PUT A PIRANHA PLANT IN; W-H-Y?!?!?! WHY DOES A ****ING PIRANHA PLANT TAKE PRIORITY OVER GENO??!?!?!?!?!?!
II. Pros
A. Adventure Mode
B. Smash Bros With Lyrics
C. DLC[And if Sakurai DOESN'T put geno in as dlc, I'M gonna REALLY be P***ED OFF!!!]
D. Mii Fighter Customization, including Faces, Voices, & Costumes

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
108 stages after DLC?

Looks like that's why they left 5 open slots

and they said they weren't planning DLC yet

KMDP

Smash Legend
in a way we got the worst case scenario.
And yet the worst case scenario is still ****ing amazing.

What a time to be alive.
---Decided a while ago to post this if Isaac ended up unplayable---
Song
And now, the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain
I've lived a life that's full
I traveled each and every highway
And more, much more than this, I did it my way

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do and saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course, each careful step along the byway
And more, much more than this, I did it my way

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all, when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall and did it my way

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
I've had my fill, my share of losing
And now, as tears subside, I find it all so amusing
To think I did all that
And may I say, not in a shy way
Oh, no, oh, no, not me, I did it my way

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught
To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels
The record shows I took the blows and did it my way
Yes, it was my way.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Now we have to find out just how in the hell did the Grinch leak get made? Cause that's.... that's ridiculously complex.

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
I. Am. Screaming. Yet. Hysterically. Laughing.

Wowow Sakurai BAMBOOZLED us.
Pirhana plant? Comedic genius. Literal genius

Box theory TRUE?! Once again I scream laughed when I saw. I’m literally not even mad the game still looks super fun but legit I am baffled at how he obliterated the hopes and dreams
Of 90% of the smash community. Genius.

Also Q: does this mean there will only be 5 DLC characters in total, or that you can purchase in packs of 5?

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
alright here's my impressions
ken is way more different from ryu than i thought he would be, excited to try him out
incineroar is about what i expected, still not very interested personally
shadow the hedgehog btfo, i thought he was a lock too
rip isaac you guys didn't deserve this
a piranha plant is in smash brothers as a playable fighter and waluigi is an assist trophy what is this timeline
seeing that group shot at the beginning of the adventure mode trailer is just, so good. especially k rool and bowser looming in the back. the panic to get away from the spiritification beams was fun to watch too, as morbid as that sounds
and kirby saves everyone again, subspace 2 confirmed
i really hope there's more cutscenes like this, the voice acting was great too

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Ahm.. sorry guys but I have the urge to say this... ahm..

HAHAHAHA.. Vergeben was right.. doubter owns him an apology

HAHAHAHA.. No Shadow, No Issac.. and NO GENO!!!!

Well, and no Goemon too.. HAHAHAHAHA XD

Well, I got something better than expected.. An assist Dr. Wily. Better than a boss :D

Oh boy, what a dream crusher that Direct was XDD.. ahh, oh boy, Goemon fans are used to it XD

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
Pirahna Plant definitely convinced me not to buy the fighter pass. I don't want to buy a freakin deku scrub or shy guy without knowing it.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Okay I won't lie, I did find most of the direct disappointing. I kind of tuning it out while he was talking about Spirits, thinking "ah a gacha system, really? Is this Xenoblade 2 now?" I will also really miss trophies, they were a really cool collectible and it was fun seeing 3D models for characters who might not get them otherwise. They didn't even get new artwork. At least the challenges are kind of cute, but I could imagine some of them being kind of annoying as well, like the invisible Dedede one for the Gordo spirit.

But you guys leave Piranha Plant out of this, he did nothing wrong well aside from attempting to kill Mario and serve as a member of Bowser's evil legion, that is.

D

Deleted member

I thought that there couldn’t be something worse than Madden Player and Knack....

And Sakurai brings a freaking Piranha Plant to prove me wrong.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
I may not have gotten most that I wanted...BUT I got Incineroar, who I really wanted and got pretty hyped and screaming "YES!" a lot when he appeared, and Shantae is in the game even if as a spirit.

Not to mention, Piranha Plant.

All in all, I'm happy with the game.

Wambo

Smash Ace
No Geno, but Piranha Plant.

****ing Piranha Plant.

No, no Geno. No Isaac. No Banjo-Kazooie. No Mach Rider. No Shadow. No Chorus Men.

A ****ing plant got in over your most-wanted character. And Sakurai didn't even show the DLC, and wants you to have faith in it.

Not to mention that the DLC seems to only be 5 characters and 5 stages.

No. **** this Direct. Just **** it.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
I'm not gonna lie to ya'll....I'm upset. Like I said pages and pages back though, I'll get over it in a few hours (minimum, a day tops.)

Seriously though, no Geno. I'm convinced it's never happening at this point. I've been seeing this one image that shows Geno as a spirit for Shulk but I didn't catch that in the direct itself somehow if true so can anyone here confirm this for me?
They REALLY got the reveals backwards with this game, Ken and Incineroar should have been first and Ridley the last character reveal.

And don't even get me started on Spirits. It's apparently a story mode but it looks more like a small upgrade of Classic Mode for the most part with spirits taking over what stickers basically did in Brawl. It looks so lackluster and dumb to me and this part of my rant isn't due to me being upset either. I really don't like what Spirits mode is. For anyone who does, I'm glad for you, but I can say with 90% certainty that it's not for me.

Piranha Plant of all things as a newcomer too....why not just go with the Goomba at that rate?

On one final note for now, Shadow being an Assist Trophy broke my heart. I felt like someone just slapped me in the face.

Last edited:

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
Piranha Plant is freakin epic, but this was easily the worst reveal set Sakurai had to offer otherwise for this game. I'm shocked the biggest reveals were early in the game's hype cycle.

Spirits is nothing like how I envisioned it could be, though that CGI trailer was glorious. Hoping it's more fun when actually playing it.
Ken looks great and so does Incineroar - I'm actually very impressed because I wasn't excited for either but now I definitely am.
Grinch leak is the greatest fake of all time, If I had a crow in front of me I'd be consuming it and I admit I was wrong.
No trophies, no smash run, no stage builder - actually depressing we didn't get even 1 of these things, but I understand with trophies.

RIP Shadow, Issac, Springman, Rex. I feel especially bad for Issac, I don't like the character but have a ton of respect for the fans.

Mach Rider, Banjo, Chorus Kids, Geno, Steve, Sora are all alive and able to be DLC, but I think Banjo's chance has sunk to below 5%. Mach Rider's is probably non-existant.

I'd give that direct a 3/10. I'm off to find some crows to eat, and I apologize to anyone that I may have been heated towards a week ago. You guys are all good people I think.

Also Vergeben is now a legend. When it comes to smash news, his word is basically gospel to me now.

The Grinch is also a legend, and future leaks will absolutely never be believed without video proof alongside mountains of evidence.

My guesses for DLC:
Rayman
Bandana Dee (if a piranha plant can make it, now I finally believe Dee has a chance, even though I dislike him)
Geno
Funky Kong (Unique)
Sora

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I am 1000% confident that Piranha Plant came as a sort of bet between developers.

'Man, I've been working on so many characters in Smash, I could make ANYTHING playable!'

'Try a Piranha Plant. I'll buy your drinks every weekend till the end of the year!'

'Dude.. hold my beer, I'll be done in a few weeks *burps*'

They can't be ****ing serious.

marth_t90

Smash Cadet
am sorry im j ******* annoyed cus theres no option to guarantee to play the preferences u want online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom