• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
Ok so Grinch is dead and Verg was right on this one. But...Piranha Plant? WTF? that has to be the most insane choice ever made. At least Geno and Banjo still have chances as DLC which is good. I want to know exactly who and how they made that Grinch leak I know it's likely we will never know but man that was elaborate and fooled a ton of people.

Edit: Sorry looks like Geno doesn't stand a chance after all.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Vergeben was 100% on the money. Well.

Let this be a lesson to people throwing **** like "virginbin" around. Karma is a *****.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
All in all, that was good direct. I'm just not sure they should have waited this long to reveal some of the stuff in the middle.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Piranha Plant is a more hype character than Incineroar and everyone from the Grinch leak don't @ me

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
Hahahahahahaa man all those Grinch leakers and their arrogance getting completely destroyed is the most satisfying thing I've seen in a long time. Hopefully some fan favorites still show up in the dlc

D

Deleted member

I liked everything but Piranha Plant.

That character makes my Madden Player nightmare look like a walk in the beach.

That thing had to scare and make freaking Kojima shake in fear...

Sakurai literally surpassed Yoko Taro and Kojima in the art of trolling.

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
F to all those who wanted Geno, Issac, and all those other characters in the leak. Gotta admit that even without the leak, Ken and Incineroar is a bit disappointing to wrap up the roster.

I'll be enjoying Ken though and I'm glad there's a form of Adventure mode this time around. Was sorely missing in Smash 4. I want that Main theme vocal version.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
Bro, I wasn't paying attention as much. Did Waddle Dee get deconfirmed as a spirit? Are Marx and Dark Matter spirits? I might just root for these two now.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
How the hell did this all happen?

Who made the grinch leak and why?

Why is ken in the same spot?

How the hell did insiders know all those assist trophy’s?

Incenroar and ken were always too I had no problem with and look fun.

Where the hell was the square character at? Does that mean verge and spawn both learned that Sora is DLC.

Does piranha plant count as DLC? I don’t think it counts towards the packs.

There is a season pass so I’m expecting multiple seasons.

How the hell did Geno not make it?

Piranha plant is so wtf but I like it, will main. I have wanted Petey so this is pretty close.

Also no Rex for DLC? I thought that was a given.

And finally thank god people can’t talk **** about bandanna dee now. The only thing stopping him is Sakurai bias. Please change Sakurai.

And world of light has a dope song and looks great.

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
I'm worried about the online mode.

edit:
I've watched it again since the live stream, and I'm feeling a bit more optimistic. There were things I missed in the first viewing. There are some really cool new features, and I think I'll spend some time to go through and list each one. There is stuff in there was seriously on my wishlist. The WAY with Records may not have been what I had in mind, but they actually have Player vs Player match history (Tags). There's much more.

I'm still concerned about GSP being of good use for matching players of similar skill levels. This stems from my understanding (mis?) how GSP is earned in the first place, which is through solo play. The other (even bigger) concern is lag. Once again they are encouraging the lan adapter. Cool. That's how I roll with all of my devices (except 3DS). But it would have been nice if we could actually set Wired (among other options like connection quality and region) in Preference! And now it is finding other players who are using a wired connection.

We'll see. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

Narr

AN ORB OF MANY TALENTS
NNID
LordChrom
3DS FC
1289-8310-9030
Switch FC
SW 8256 5756 1598
this thread is probably a dumpster fire, but hey, box theory is true and vergeben got everything right. i was wrong! and piranha plant seems pretty fun. hope you guys don't kill each other, i'll see you in a few days

Confirmation

Smash Ace
It's insane they somehow made a less desirable form of representation than stickers.

Sakurai's a madman.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Wow....words can’t describe how grossly disappointing that was..

Atleast Incinaroar looks cool, I never hated him plus we got a cat character at last!

Man, that Direct sucked so much, World of Light was the only silver lining to this.

AND HE ADD A FREAKING MARIO ENEMY LIKE WHAT?!?

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I wasnt expecting more characters....
I was okey with the box theory being real...
Incineroar had grownth on me...
I always realized that we maight end getting 103 Stages...
I didn't wanted epic cutscenes...
I was kinda ready for

I only wanted meaningful plataforming gameplay.. in any way or form... be it break the targets, adventure mode or smash run....
But geeeez i think that you can expect too much ._.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Piranha Plant is super iconic and "deserving". Y'all are just salty.

I like joke characters, they give games more personality. And hey, this one actually seems to have a normal moveset this time unlike whatever Wii Fit Trainer's is supposed to be, so I'll probably be able to enjoy playing as him (it?) as well.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If he hadn't spent so much time making sure a lot of fan requests and new IPs are unlikely to get DLC chances that direct wouldn't have been as bad.

Piranha Plant would even be fine, if he you know hadn't spent his exciting load at the beginning and there weren't a ton of favorites from that particular series not in yet.

It's also unlikely we'll get another Mario newcomer as DLC because of Piranha Plant.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
LMAO right after the Assist Trophy section I was like "Thank god they didn't show Rex." they then show him as a Mii costume! But y'know what I'm not even mad, I've got other characters in the base game to look forward to!

Also Piranha Plant is funny as **** ya'll can stay mad.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I can't believe we got Ridley, King K. Rool and Piranha Plant.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
This Direct was everything I wanted and more. I went in with low expectations and I am not disappointed.

For one, the Grinch leak was blown the **** out. I called it and was mocked for it. In fact, myself and others were made fun of throughout the entire Grinch leak AND Box Theory speculation just because we defended them. Ya'll refused to acknowledge it as a possibility and if you're disappointed I understand, and I'm truly sorry, but it's your own fault. Blind hype is dangerous. It's a ****ing shame Nihilist Theory was disproven though.

The Kencineroar trailer was as hype as it gets, and I think it's the best one so far.

I got over amiibos a long time ago, so I don't really care about them.

Spirits seems really interesting, as it's a cross between trophies, stickers, and custom moves. Spirit battles seem interesting as well. For a second I thought we were going full gacha, so I'm glad we didn't.

Online isn't exactly what I wanted. I'm going to miss For Glory 1 on 1, as it doesn't seem like 1 on 1s are guaranteed now. I hope I'm wrong, but it seems like they've gone two steps forward and one step back.

The shop seems useful for once, and it's nice that we can buy Mii costumes and music from it.

I'm surprised that we only seem to be getting five characters. It means that each slot counts. Look out for my boy Sora at the VGAs.

Pour one out for the Rex fans. Same with Isaac, Shadow, even Yuri Kozukata.

HOLY **** WORLD OF LIGHT LOOKS ****IN' HYPE. This really is the Infinity Wars of video games.

Piranha Plant is such a trollish character, I absolutely love it. It's so out there, and they look fun to play. Petey Piranha as the Final Smash is a nice nod to Subspace Emissary.

10/10 best Direct.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Super Smash Bros Special is a much more appropriate name for this game... After all those deconfirmations....yikes... King K. Rool is in so I cannot be mad though. R.I.P. playable Shadow...

WordsHere

Smash Rookie
My theory was probably right. The person who made the "fake" leak really did have access to the final roster poster. They adjusted it to add other characters. Either because they wanted a bigger roster and were trying to "fix" it or because they just wanted to stir up trouble by raising expectations. They may have even had access to the original PST so they could just move character layers around to make room for everyone.

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
I was not expecting Piranha Plant at all, but I want to main it now.

No joke: I actually had a dream a long time ago where Petey Piranha was a playable character in a Smash game. I saw him on the character select screen and I was annoyed it was not real when I woke up. Now that he is in in the form of a Piranha Plant, my dream had literally come true.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
You know, Corcoro saying there’s 108 stages makes sense now since we’re getting 5 stages as DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom