• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
WOW That was a ride.

1) HOW did the Grinch fake that leak AND get Ken's portrait totally accurate at the same time? He HAD to have had access to Ken's mural art somehow.

2) Incineroar actually looks amazing! Not super hyped to play as the final reveals, but they look fun nonetheless.

3) Piranha Plant??? What??? I'm still in shock over this. Petey would've been far better. Needless to say, pretty sure this guy WON'T return in any further installments. Props to Sakurai for taking a risk though.

4) No DLC reveals is great. If all costumes from Sm4sh for Miis return then that doesn't rule Geno or any character like that out. SquEnix rep is rumored to be at VGAs so perhaps it's Sora if it happens then. If not, I'd expect Geno.

5) HOLY **** SPIRITS AND WORLD OF LIGHT MAKE UP FOR THE LACKLUSTER CHARACTER REVEAL THIS TIME THOUGH. THE VOCALS AND VOICE ACTING WITH CGI CUTSCENESE??? TAKE MY MONEY SAMURAI.

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
I’m like... totallly shock about the Direct.

After a whole week of that awful war on Grinch Leak, it’s really sad to see that some of those characters didn’t make it. But let’s not be “Told You So” or being mean to us who thought that was real. I’ll say Grinch has become the Greatest Fake Leak in History!

Man, the trailer for Ken & Incineror was pretty epic but I knew I’ve seen that got leak has a text back 2-3 months ago somewhere... Also, Vegerben was right, awesome job dude.

The whole Spirts was a bit too long. Though it did felt like stickers from Brawl which is great but sad no Trophies anymore....

Piranha plant as a character is so random that no body had leak him... incredible

Man, Sakurai went all out on Assist Trophies like Spring Man was a shock because I thought he would be DLC, and Shadow... That’s sad as well Isaac.

DLC season pass cost more than Switch Online...

But dude that Adventure Mode rocks!!!!

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Is Pirahna Plant the new R.O.B.? I think he's the new R.O.B. People will learn to love him in time.

At least it means Incineroar won't be the scapegoat anymore. Ah who am I kidding? People are gonna hate on the poor kitty anyway.

SushiRoll

Smash Apprentice

Welp, it's confirmed. We live in the dumbest of all possible timelines. Not the worst. Not the darkest. The dumbest.
I need another minute.

bbybae

Smash Cadet
I am actually interested in Spirits, SSE was amazing but it wasn't a game designed for playing the way Smash is played - this honestly makes much more sense, you're always playing smash bros., just with a story and a world. I personally have high hopes for it even if all my other hopes are gone

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
I won't spoil anything for anyone, but that last character reveal...you all know the one...that is the biggest middle finger ever. I love Sakurai and what he's done. This game is absolutely incredible. I will definitely buy it and I will get all the DLC. I appreciate all of the effort he's put into it. But the deconfirms he did today, combined with THAT character...what in the actual eff man?

Chrollo.

fka president wario
So we can assume that the Grinch leak was leak bait right? Because its incredibly weird that the Ken art in the mural is the exact same as the Grinch one.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Okay so....

1. All leaks are fake.

2. Spirits frankly seems like a bunch of mobile game-esque bull****.

3. Ken and Incineroar seem fine.

4. What limited story mode there is still feels like more of SSE's unfittingly melodramatic BS. But at least it's got bosses.

5. Confirmed at least 5 non-echo DLC characters. That's awesome.

6. WTF Piranha Plant?!

7. Now it's not just Assist Trophies crushing dreams, we got Spirits too.

All-in-all, found it to be a relatively meh Direct. 8.8 Direct absolutely destroyed this one.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I didn't believe that WTF character was actually a thing, more of a fan pattern (ROB and Wii Fit aren't that WTF when you step back).

... But Piranha Plant? Yeah, that's absolutely WTF

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Me: "Lol Piranha Plant confirmed!!!

....wait wut?"

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
I'm just happy Story Mode seems to be back.
Spirits mode look super cool, I think it will make for a good Single Player mode.
And Ken/Incineroar trailer was dope as hell.

But Isaac got mad cucked holy ****

kylexv

Smash Master
That assist trophy section physically hurt.

Oh well. At least I get Piranha Plant. Sakurai answered my prayer for an absolutely absurd character.

D

Deleted member

So, I’m pretty sure piranha plant is just sakurai’s spite at all the requests he gets.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
So people really saw Geno at some point?

I hope he's one of the DLC characters and it wasn't just a player icon or something.

Piranha Plant, looks interesting.

But damn, it's going to be the new salt target.

Love Ken and despite not having any interest beforehand, Incineroar.

Isaac being an AT stings but all the characters in are great.

D

Deleted member

Can’t say I blame anybody for being dissapointed.
But hey.
KEN PLAYS LIKE HE ACTUALLY DOES.
rest of the direct was ehhhhh

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The lac
WOW That was a ride.

1) HOW did the Grinch fake that leak AND get Ken's portrait totally accurate at the same time? He HAD to have had access to Ken's mural art somehow.

2) Incineroar actually looks amazing! Not super hyped to play as the final reveals, but they look fun nonetheless.

3) Piranha Plant??? What??? I'm still in shock over this. Petey would've been far better. Needless to say, pretty sure this guy WON'T return in any further installments. Props to Sakurai for taking a risk though.

4) No DLC reveals is great. If all costumes from Sm4sh for Miis return then that doesn't rule Geno or any character like that out. SquEnix rep is rumored to be at VGAs so perhaps it's Sora if it happens then. If not, I'd expect Geno.

5) HOLY **** SPIRITS AND WORLD OF LIGHT MAKE UP FOR THE LACKLUSTER CHARACTER REVEAL THIS TIME THOUGH. THE VOCALS AND VOICE ACTING WITH CGI CUTSCENESE??? TAKE MY MONEY SAMURAI.
The lackluster character reveals were due to the two being known for a while now, well, one of the reasons.

Anyway, great Direct! Great song too for the Adventure mode! What does anyone else think of Piranha Plant being DLC?

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
Good luck to banjo and geno fans! I think they still can make it as a DLC fighter!!

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I Hope Geno is gonna be a DLC character; Or I'll be really P***ed off!!!!

Here's my DLC Desires for the 5 future DLC Characters:
1. Geno
2. Travis Touchdown
3. Banjo & Kazooie
4. Linkle[Especially if she dual wields Crossbows; and has a Cucco Stampede Final Smash similar to Yoshi's Stampede Final Smash]
5. Bandana Waddle Dee

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Box Theory Confirmed! Verge Right! Insiders right! My condolences to people who didnt get what they wanted. There is still hop for DLC.

Incineroar and Piranha plant HYPE!!!!

I got my new mains. Thanks Sakurai!

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Well, RIP.

Incineroar does look pretty awesome, though. He looks pretty well-rendered. But hoo boy, so many deconfirmations happened at once.

But the biggest thing is Piranha Plant. Just...wow. I can't even right now.

D

Deleted member

Honestly I'm pretty whelmed.
Spirits wasn't what I was expecting, and story mode looks decent, I prefer Ken over Ryu and Incineroar looks fun. Here's to hoping for the big ones as DLC, but sorry to you Isaac, Shantae, and Shadow fans.
Piranha Plant sure is ****ing something though.

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
Well, that was a little bit heartbreaking... Box is true, 103 stages is true, in a way we got the worst case scenario.
And is it just me or was this Direct very badly structured? They really managed to mess up the Spirits/Adventures mode reveal by making it look a lot more confusing, than it needed to be. They should have spend a lot more time on that, they didn't even say how to unlock the fighters, although the trailer does imply it...
The saving grace for me is actually the Adventure mode and this last trailer, looks like fun, will definetly use this to unlock the fighters. Otherwise they would successfully have killed my hype for this game.

Seriously, what was Nintendo thinking by the pacing of the reveals this time, they really failed their marketing with this direct. And they really develop a Piranha fighter over literally a 1.000 better choices who now are deemed to be Assist Trophys or Spirits!? With this in mind I will definetly not buy the DLC blind.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
This my friends answers the age old question. Why do we drink?

World of light made up for MOST of what they screwed us on... particularly the trophies and all star being a glorified Multi Man.. I mean it still looks like glorified Master Orders but if it has more cutscenes and even a story then i am ok with it. As for Box Theory being Box Law now **** it, i got my simon belmont out of all of this I'm happy enough.. Still Shadow fans and Isaac fans got burnt hard, Spring man being locked away for good. At least Shantae fans have hope with her just being a trophy.. sorry SPIRIT (they better still have descrpitions and better be ten times as many if they dont gotta do models for all of em).. But the whole regular pirannah plant stuff.. ok i get he isnt the FIRST part of Season 1 of the DLC pack but it's salt on a fresh wound.. And if any regula rmario enemy shoulda got in it shoulda been Koopa Troopa (bias i know). Anyway a deal's a deal ill be changing my pic now. Someone hand me some sobieski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom