• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Kinda, I guess...
No it didn't. It's stronger than ever.
Again, why do people automatically assume the Grinch leak is fake when more evidence comes out for it every day, but then some random "insider" (the same insider who, mind you, came out like three days ago ALREADY saying the leak was fake) reaffirms that the leak is fake and suddenly the leak is dead?

TheMilkmann TheMilkmann It didn't die at all. Just MysticDistance saying he doesn't believe it again.

SushiRoll

Smash Apprentice
Aside of Shadow and Geno, I don't see any character fitting as assist trophy, and making Geno an assist trophy would be an horrible slap in the face of his fans after all these years
I would think Mach Rider would be a suitable assist trophy (unless some info came out that makes mach rider look completely unlikely)

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Its funny how so many are flipping to team fake as more testimonies come out. Its this leak was taken seriously because now my hopes are up for Banjo, but sadly he probably wont be in the game :/

Last edited:

NecroXsis

Smash Rookie
I dunno guys. I think I'm #TeamReal but, at the same time, I'm trying to set myself up for disappointment. Why, you ask? Because this leak is too good to be true... And I'm not bringing that up as evidence against the leak, but more like a way to avoid getting high expectations. This game is already amazing but... I don't wanna feel disappointed. This'll turn up just the way Sakurai wants it, and that's that.

Anyways... I haven't seen this kind of speculation in a while, and it is truly entertaining. Keep up that, fellas! Meanwhile, I'll be standing here on #TeamDirect I guess, lol.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Again, why do people automatically assume the Grinch leak is fake when more evidence comes out for it every day, but then some random "insider" (the same insider who, mind you, came out like three days ago ALREADY saying the leak was fake) reaffirms that the leak is fake and suddenly the leak is dead?

TheMilkmann TheMilkmann It didn't die at all. Just MysticDistance saying he doesn't believe it again.
One word:
Subjective

beans

Smash Lord
Anyway, Direct date theory
If we dont get anything before the first of november or the 31 of October then pack it up for this week and hope an announcement in 2nd or 4th

D

Deleted member

Last night i dreamed that Sakurai and Kojima created a musical about Jet Set Radio.

Kojima wrote the songs and the script, and Sakurai designed each musical number and did the casting.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
To those saying that you can't create a character in a three months.

The ballot ended on October 2015 and Bayonetta was revealed on December the same year.

That means it's TOTALLY possible that they can make a functioning character in a quarter year.

I mean, it's not like Nintendo/Sakurai LIED about the ballot? Did they??????

lol :p:joyful:
I know this is a joke post, but before anyone takes this seriously to argue that Banjo could be created in three months; Bayonetta's data first appeared in 1.0.6, which released in April 2015 two weeks after the Ballot launched (yes Bayonetta was planned before the Ballot), and she released in February 2016. So at absolute minimum she took ten months to create, and seeing how horribly unbalanced she was at release (and still very unbalanced after a patch dedicated to significantly nerfing her three months later), she clearly needed a few more months of balance testing before being released.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Also, said guy then leaks that over half of the characters featured on it are still getting in, and then goes back and forth on who it could be.

Yikes.
Geno was one of those so it's a win-win for me

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman

Exactly what I was going to type!

Grinch leak isn't even close to dead, but we'l immediately know when the direct happens, I'm guessing on the 7th or 8th (probably 8th). If the banner art matches, it's proven real for definite even if they only show half of the remaining characters (under the presumption that there's also a second direct, though I think we are getting everything on the 7th or 8th character and stage wise, before DLC).

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I know this is a joke post, but before anyone takes this seriously to argue that Banjo could be created in three months; Bayonetta's data first appeared in 1.0.6, which released in April 2015 two weeks after the Ballot launched (yes Bayonetta was planned before the Ballot), and she released in February 2016. So at absolute minimum she took ten months to create, and seeing how horribly unbalanced she was at release (and still very unbalanced after a significant patch nerfing her three months later), she clearly needed a few more months of balancing before being released.
I love how this kinda sorta forces people to either believe that a character can be developed in three months, or that the ballot was rigged. There can be no in between argument.

D

Deleted member

Question, but why are all the "insiders" being so mean-spirited and spiteful toward anyone who disagrees with them?

1540819452783m.jpg

Can someone verify? But I believe this is Vergeben taking potshots at Papagenos for his video.

I also saw a Twitter thread where Andre from GameExplain took potshots at Grinch***s, comparing them to a Trump rally (and ofc used this opportunity to dump on the president as well).

And then some leaker from ResetERA named Steve taking a dump on PapaGenos for no reason.

And then you have Omni's mental breakdown on Twitter.

I'm sorry, but this makes me lose any and all respect for these people. How can you demand respect, when you're behaving in such a way, plus, such smug and spiteful attitude is totally unwarranted. Especially since PapaGenos has done nothing to deserve such treatment from these people. People are discussing leaks, yet the people labeling everyone they don't agree with as "toxic" are the very ones getting overly worked up about this, and propagating actual toxic behaviour.

Last edited by a moderator:

G Rank Zinogre

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sgt. ZinogreVolt
I dunno guys. I think I'm #TeamReal but, at the same time, I'm trying to set myself up for disappointment. Why, you ask? Because this leak is too good to be true... And I'm not bringing that up as evidence against the leak, but more like a way to avoid getting high expectations. This game is already amazing but... I don't wanna feel disappointed. This'll turn up just the way Sakurai wants it, and that's that.

Anyways... I haven't seen this kind of speculation in a while, and it is truly entertaining. Keep up that, fellas! Meanwhile, I'll be standing here on #TeamDirect I guess, lol.
This is the same game where we already got K. Rool, Ridley, Simon AND Richter. Along with bringing back literally every single character. I really don't think this scenario is that much of a stretch when we've already got a game this impossible.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I love how this kinda sorta forces people to either believe that a character can be developed in three months, or that the ballot was rigged. There can be no in between argument.
It doesn't force you to believe one way or the other because we know one of the things for sure, and the other just has a lot of evidence against it

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I think it's a legitmate leak, but little did the leaker know that one of the characters is leak bait (Probably Mach Rider)

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I know this is a joke post, but before anyone takes this seriously to argue that Banjo could be created in three months; Bayonetta's data first appeared in 1.0.6, which released in April 2015 two weeks after the Ballot launched (yes Bayonetta was planned before the Ballot), and she released in February 2016. So at absolute minimum she took ten months to create, and seeing how horribly unbalanced she was at release (and still very unbalanced after a significant patch nerfing her three months later), she clearly needed a few more months of balancing before being released.
Oh boy.

Here's to Banjo being the top-tier character because he's terribly balanced like Bayo was.
(I'm joking, obviously)

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Question, but why are all the "insiders" being so mean-spirited and spiteful toward anyone who disagrees with them?

View attachment 173254

Can someone verify? But I believe this is Vergeben taking potshots at Papagenos for his video.

I also saw a Twitter thread where Andre from GameExplain took potshots at Grinch***s, comparing them to a Trump rally (and ofc used this opportunity to dump on the president as well).

And then some leaker from ResetERA named Steve taking a dump on PapaGenos for no reason.

I'm sorry, but this makes me lose any and all respect for these people. How can you demand respect, when you're behaving in such a way, plus, such smug and spiteful attitude is totally unwarranted. Especially since PapaGenos has done nothing to deserve such treatment from these people. People are discussing leaks, yet the people labeling everyone they don't agree with as "toxic" are the very ones getting overly worked up about this, and propagating actual toxic behaviour.
Verge was responding to an article that said he made claims which he did not make. This had nothing to do with PapaGenos.

Grippy_Toad

Smash Rookie
Its funny how so many are flipping to team fake as more testimonies come out. Its this leak was taken seriously because now my hopes are up for Banjo, but sadly he probably wont be in the game :/
Just buy Brawlout with me and we can use Yooka-Laylee. It's...close...right? :urg:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

View attachment 173254

He's not...
He's talking about this article
https://segmentnext.com/2018/10/26/super-smash-bros-ultimate-roster-incineroar/

Spatman

Smash Ace
I do have to wonder how long it would take to develop a character with all hands on deck. Surely not as long as the likes of Mewtwo for Smash 4.
God, the wait for mewtwo was terrible. 6 months for the only characters I truely wanted back then!

(Speaking of which, I have ever wanted just a few of characters, but all perfectly plausible and sometimes considered shoe-in, and between smash4, 4dlcs and likely ultimate, I had no one of them, with the bland exception of 2 previously cutted veterans like mewtwo and pkmn trainer (but with "Everyone is here!", it's not a thing of specific value).
Clearly I'm an human jynx :(

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Lol, all these people struggling to believe the Grinch because "too good to be true"

That was me with box theory. I couldn't believe that they'd end such a hype game on such wet-fart character reveals. Sorry to anyone who likes Incineroar or Ken.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

View attachment 173254

Well, I can't speak for any of the others since I don't know the situations, but I feel Verg's anger is completely justified. I've been following his posts closely and he did never say in any way that Incineroar would be DLC. It was completely made up. If you're someone who people are taking your words super super seriously, and people start writing articles saying you said stuff you didn't, yeah, that'd make me angry.

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord

View attachment 173254

WOW Vergeben being an idiot with the temper of a 12 year old fortnite player again? Shocking.

What a ****ing idiot.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Also Sonic was only added because he could have been rushed.
That's why his moveset is so bland, this really couldn't have been done with many other characters.
Sakurai specifically stated that if he was based on his modern games that his moveset would have been different.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/07/24/sonic-the-hedgehog-joins-the-battle/

Sakurai: Speaking of Sonic, there are many different variations of him from his history. I was a little lost on which iteration I should draw from. I thought long and hard after playing his both his classic and newer games.

Interviewer: If you only judged the character from the newer Sonic games, would Sonic in Brawl have been any different?

Sakurai: He would have been very different.
Sonic curling up into a Spin Ball is basically his main method of attacking in the Classics and since his moveset is largely influenced by Fighters where he has a lot of Spin Ball based attacks.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Did grinch theory die overnight?
Whether it lives or dies, it will be decided in the span of a minute when the next newcomer is revealed.

Also, there's that really nice giant picture of all the evidence towards the leak being real. Is there one of all the evidence towards it being false? I'm staying hopeful, but I don't want to feel certain when it may end up being false.

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
So here's a question for everybody. What piece of evidence convinces you the most the leak is real or fake? Is there anything on the opposing side that makes you question your stance?

For me, I'm about 95% team real. Just the sheer amount of effort that would have had to been put into this leak for it line up with so much is the biggest piece of evidence for me.

As far as the evidence for it being fake, the most convincing to me is the small inconsistencies between the leak and the banners we've seen, but they are rather weak evidence to me. However, I will always remain at least somewhat skeptical until confirmation.

NecroXsis

Smash Rookie
This is the same game where we already got K. Rool, Ridley, Simon AND Richter. Along with bringing back literally every single character. I really don't think this scenario is that much of a stretch when we've already got a game this impossible.
I know, right? It's just that the final characters from the leak would bring so much variety to the game that I'd be extremely happy if it turns out to be true, even though I'm no particular fan of any of them. This is truly one of the best case scenarios we could've expected realistically, but still, I'm excited enough to try to not get drowned by my high expectations. So... Yeah, I'm just hoping everything 100% confirmed so everyone can explode with happiness.

D

Deleted member

Kojima could have worked a bit in Ultimate to touch one more time the Metal Gear franchise, tbh.

Fablemad

Smash Journeyman
LEAK IS REAL: Somebody took a picture of Eric's workplace lmao

LEAK IS FAKE: Alright guys hear me out hear me out. Somebody posted on 4chan in September and he thought his roster was perfect so he started his masterplan. He first started working on a banner by cutting out every character with precision and keeping the assets. He drew the empty spots in the mural. A month before, he had noticed the exact places where the banner cut so that he could place the characters in these cuts. His work done, he proceeded to look at videos on the internet about marketing and how cardboard cutting companies worked. He landed on a french company and called there to speak to one of the lead designers. He then checked his LinkedIn to make sure that guy had also worked at companies that have dealt with Bandai Namco before. He simulated a workplace along with the tools, printed on receipt papers Autocad commands, photoshopped the marketing blueprints and stamped his mural on there. He then bought plastic paper to make bracelets and designed bracelets with his mural on it. He put industrial adhesive plastic on both sides to make it look more believable. He made more than one bracelet and hid two of them next to the central one under paper on the off-chance that we would look there to find it. When that was done, he looked at the project and asked some friends. They said it wasn't believable enough. In shambles, he got an idea. Of course! The Grinch movie! He started designing renders and keychain-like things with the Grinch in a giftbox on it and put them next to the whole project. He then wrote the name of the employee, making sure that he put enough pressure to make an indentation on the paper so that 4chan could find it. He did one sharpie strike on the upper half and then two sharpie strikes on the lower half so that people would believe he really tried to cross out the name but not quite enough. Then, this absolute madman took a picture and showed it to his friend again. His friend said: ''Nah man, it looks fake, you can't just post that on 4chan''. Destroyed once again by his keen-eyed friend, he got another idea: What if I created another Snapchat and then send it to myself as a video and then take a screenshot. So he did, and then he went on 4chan and posted the picture there, praying, PRAYING that they would bite and that he would get at least 25 (You)'s. Disregard the fact that people with ties to Nintendo are acting extremely weird, please, that's totally irrelevant.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord

View attachment 173254

Read the thread. Someone made a false article lying and saying Vergeben backpedaled, when he never said any such thing. This slander and bs is getting ridiculous.

osby

Smash Obsessed
By the way, I'm not a competitive player but I hope they won't decide rulesets by For Glory this time. "Ban Miis but Bayo is ok" still one of the most stupid universal character bans I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom