• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Skimmed through 30 pages I'd missed here, no new developments I can see, looks like the leak is real to me

Get the **** in, come to papa Banjo
Did you just call banjo papa? "Papa Banjo" sounds like a papa Geno knockoff

KMDP

Smash Legend
IF an anime character is going to be in Smash, itll be either a character who originated from a video game in which the anime is somehow more popular than the game.
Just gonna say... Agumon fits that bill pretty nicely.

Agumon for Smash.

Xiaolinspiration

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4926-8462-7301
IF an anime character is going to be in Smash, itll be either a character who originated from a video game in which the anime is somehow more popular than the game. Or if it's a Character whos video game series overshadows its original anime. Sort of like how the Witcher Games overshadow the Witcher Books and now were back to Geralt for Smash

If that was the case, Tyson for Smash!

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
So, in conclusion, I actually don't think we can prove this leak to be fake, unless something big (contradiction or mistake) shows up.

However, it could be proven real, although I haven't been able to...

In particular, there is one last path that hasn't been explored, which would take quite a bit of time and effort and might not result in anything at all:

Basically you take every iteration of the character banner, and highlight all the areas which are hidden throughout all iterations

If we believe the leak is fake (and the leaker didn't have access to the E3 banner), then all of these hidden areas should show obvious guesswork on the leaker's part (i.e. none of them should exactly match the E3 banner)

If any of these parts actually happens to match and couldn't be reasonably guessed by the leaker, then everything basically falls apart and the leak is real.

I don't think I can do this myself, but if anyone wants to try...
Me and Vaanrose already did this without needing to cut the characters (you can just look behind them after you’ve identified a spot). All of those areas are exactly the ones that have the macro inconsistencies. Every macro inconsistency that you spot is in one of those areas as far as I could tell.

This is the argument most of the artist have been giving for 3 days but somehow it isn’t relevant to people who want to believe.

PS: The whole reason we did it was specifically to prove the leak real with the same exact logic you are using. But we noticed every single one of those areas is made up by the leak and doesn’t share any similarities so we succeded in convincing ourselves it was fake.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Only if he comes with the Digi Rap.
The Digivolution is up and running!
DigiSee? DigiHear? DigiKnow what's coming?
Our DigiDestiny starts today! LET ME HEAR YOU SAY...!
Digimon Digital Monsters, Digimon are the champions!
Digimon Digital Monsters, Digimon are the champions!

I feel dirty.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
This has been extremely entertaining either way. As a smasher who already got who I wanted, I'm looking at this through fairly neutral eyes. Ideally, I want everyone to get who they want because I'm not the spiteful type. I WANT this to be real because this would be a crazy cool roster.

But I've been doing a bit of detective work and I'm not sure about a few things. Here's some food for thought...

-The actual picture of this leak is a red herring. Nothing is going to be proven about it one way or another within reason, but that's okay because the real info is in the alleged circumstances behind it.

-Both Marina and ACP-PLV are real companies with a history that stretches back at least a decade. You can use the Wayback Machine to see some of ACP-PLV's earlier websites, and they didn't actually put up a site until 2007: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.acp-plv.fr You can even see where they used to be and where they moved to more recently.

This building matches the picture on their website, but this was from 2013, when they were still at a different location:
https://www.google.fr/maps/place/AC...0x2256b63476ad2c21!8m2!3d48.425551!4d1.522273

The current site, with location photo at the top:
https://www.acp-plv.fr/

If you pan around in Google maps, you can see that this building is rather large, meaning this company is definitely doing well enough for itself that it can afford a building like this, and bag a high profile client like Nintendo/Bamco.

But here's where the issues come in: Eric Bricard is somewhat of a phantom. There's very little info about him. What's even more strange is that, although ACP-PLV must have at least 20-30 employees, Eric's newest LinkedIn profile is the only one actually associated with the company's autogenerated profile on LinkedIn:
https://www.linkedin.com/company/acp-plv-atelier-création-production/

Yet he's definitely not the only employee:
https://www.linkedin.com/search/results/all/?keywords=acp-plv&origin=GLOBAL_SEARCH_HEADER

All of this could mean nothing at all, it could just be Eric haphazardly building a profile, but it's weird that there definitely are real ACP-PLV employees out there that either are associated with a different page for the company (which I might not be able to see for some reason) and have proper profiles whereas Eric doesn't even have a picture.

What I feel like would help is to get more confirmation from the company itself. From what I understand, we're going on the word of 1-2 people that Bricard actually works here, is that right?

And some brave/stupid Microsoft employee could hypothetically look up Bricard's Microsoft account and see when the recent LinkedIn page tying him to ACP was created, though be warned that this IS a fireable offense….
And one more thing on this subject: if people want to confirm some things, see if you can find an Eric Bricard on some other social media who has a grandson also named Eric Bricard, as I suspect that's who took this video in the first place.

Also, not sure I trust one source checking up to see if Eric works there. Any francophonics in the audience who would also be able to call them and see?

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
But Minecraft is different....

Iconic
History with Nintendo
Sakurai enjoys it
Huge worldwide

If you ask me, Steve just fits, I guess you can say...
Like a Puzzle Piece...
Tetris and Grand Theft Auto are also iconic and have history with Nintendo. Also the Puzzle Piece doesn't work with Steve. Should've said a Wooden Block or something.

Anyways. I agree on the demographic argument. Steve is big amongst young kids and teens (2000 and on). BK are bigger among older millennials (1990-1996). The people in between like Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen are unsurprisingly all over the radar and have wildly different opinions on the subject. Not rocket science.

Its about how endearing the character is to certain demographics who remember them during the more delicate years of their lives. This is also why opinions on Geno vary wildly. Veteran older smashers of Banjo's generation are more likely to remember Geno and his game fondly. Younger folk and people from Europe, not as much.

Thus, we should stop arguing. Let the older peeps want their Banjos and Genos and the younger folk want their Steves and Incineroars.

Akiak

Smash Ace
Me and Vaanrose already did this without needing to cut the characters (you can just look behind them after you’ve identified a spot). All of those areas are exactly the ones that have the macro inconsistencies. Every macro inconsistency that you spot is in one of those areas as far as I could tell.

This is the argument most of the artist have been giving for 3 days but somehow it isn’t relevant to people who want to believe.
Yes but you're only looking at the discrepancies. What I'm suggesting is to look at the parts which match, and see if the leaker could've deduced that from the character banners or he would've needed the E3 banner

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
Actually, people have said the Grinch leak is the final roster. Many times. :laugh:

If we get Incineroar, well, tha's the way de cookie crumbles.

MAYBE THE POSTS WERE DELETED!

IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY!

BUY GOLD!

*shot by mod sniper*
People are saying that the Grinch leak is the final roster now but if Incineroar gets revealed it'll automatically turn to a "This is not the final roster" or a "I never believed it anyway."

Happened with the box leak
Happened with the Karate Joe leak
Happened with the current Verg leak

"Anyone who doesn't believe____is clearly in denial"
"I Didn't really believe that leak from the start"

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I usually hate conspiracy theory stuff. but GameXplain definitely knows what's going on with this leak.

They *always* do specific discussion videos on big leaks like this, but we didn't get one from them this time.
In addition, they posted their general weekly discussion today and they didn't even MENTION the leak. Not even a simple acknowledgment. These general weekly discussion videos usually cover everything Smash related that came out during the week.

The update video they posted when the leak first surfaced was uncharacteristically dismissive for them. They just said it was fake because it was "too blurry" and moved on.

It definitely feels like they're actively avoiding discussing it for whatever reason.

Just getting weird vibes from them with this leak.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Yes but you're only looking at the discrepancies. What I'm suggesting is to look at the parts which match, and see if the leaker could've deduced that from the character banners or he would've needed the E3 banner
Read my edit. We were looking for parts that matched. None of them do.

This is my edit:

PS: The whole reason we did it was specifically to prove the leak real with the same exact logic you are using. But we noticed every single one of those areas is made up by the leak and doesn’t share any similarities so we succeded in convincing ourselves it was fake.

We were actively trying to prove it real.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
All of this banner talk for the last several days makes me wish I actually had the old versions of the banner. I haven't been able to find the old versions anywhere, at least at a good resolution.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I want everyone to take the time and read this. Usually, Super Smash Bros is for eight players, even online, but apparently in this game, the online mode will have/be up to 32 players.

Could there be a new online mode?

Last edited:

vigneault.charles

Smash Rookie
So my main counter-argument to this would be: how do you know the 3rd rock actually is in the character banners? What if it was only added to the E3 banner specifically?

Having said that, I've been spending some time on it myself and unfortunately I've come out of it with a lot more points for #teamfake than #teamreal...

There's like 3 different spots where the E3 banner matches the character banners, but not the leak.

As far as proof that the E3 background is actually different from the character backgrounds, I couldn't really find much, except maybe the small tower on the island in the middle...(it seems to be missing from the E3 banner, or perhaps replaced by two smaller towers). Looking at it again though I'm not convinced...

All this being said, I still don't think any of this is hard proof of it being fake. Mainly it's because the level of effort required just seems unrealistic to me, and all these small changes could always be things that the official art team are making for specific purposes...

Also the leak just feels real, particularly the character poses seem very on point and they don't stand out at all...
The E3 banner fit 100% the characters banner. Just the hidden spots that suddently don't fit but Artsy have proved many times that everything we see in the characters banners are there. Just some fog/lightning effect prob due to taking picture of a screen not a paper.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
The utilization of a voice synthesis software to make Miku's voice is in no way a videogame, and comparing that kind of stretch to R.O.B and Miis is ridiculous. Both R.O.B and Miis are directly used in Nintendo games, they are at the very least tools of those games, and are kind of integral to playing them. Hell Wii Sports was massive and that is entirely composed of Miis. Miku is not a video game character, VSS is not a video game.
Well in fairness you're not the creator of definitions. Like in your opinion its not a video game.. But realistically if you can interface with digital data and manipulate it for entertainment... It's a literal video game...

I know this gets into almost a philosophical-ish debate and we're verging on sematics... But the nitty gritty of what a video game is... Its not strict. Entertainment is subjective as is fun.

Akiak

Smash Ace
Read my edit. We were looking for parts that matched. None of them do.

This is my edit:

We were actively trying to prove it real.
Ok, fair enough

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Yeah, that was great to watch yesterday. There's also this (Link bias):

The ending pretty much told me, "Cool guys don't look at explosions".

I feel like the Bomb New Hitbox, that seems to be gigantic is a pretty good buff for Link, Alongside the bomb being "Physically" on the stages and could lead to tons of nasty set-up, What do you think about it?

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
I want everyone to take the time and read this. Usually, Super Smash Bros is for eight players, even online, but apparently in this game, the online mode will have/be up to 32 players.

Could there be a new online mode?
It's probably just tournament mode, I remember Smash 4's awful online tournament mode had 32 players as an option.

Wambo

Smash Ace
I usually hate conspiracy theory stuff. but GameXplain definitely knows what's going on with this leak.

They *always* do specific discussion videos on big leaks like this, but we didn't get one from them this time.
In addition, they posted their general weekly discussion today and they didn't even MENTION the leak. Not even a simple acknowledgment.

The update video they posted when the leak first surfaced was uncharacteristically dismissive for them. They just said it was fake because it was "too blurry" and moved on.

It definitely feels like they're actively avoiding discussing it for whatever reason.

I'm starting to wonder if the "insiders" are actually just people doing damage control for Nintendo this time around. Like, Sakurai got smart and realized that the people who spread the leaks last time were dudes like GameXplain, Serebii, etc. Let's say "Incineroar" was leak bait so Nintendo would know if one of their damage controllers weren't trustworthy, which is, naturally, why we know about him. So someone ****ed up and let him slip, and now everyones confused as hell why there's suddenly a possibility of more characters than they were initially told.

If that's the case... O O M P H.

Last edited:

Xiaolinspiration

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4926-8462-7301

In addition, they posted their general weekly discussion today and they didn't even MENTION the leak. Not even a simple acknowledgment. These general weekly discussion videos usually cover everything Smash related that came out during the week.

Like I said earlier and most people in this thread have said this already but it's likely that GameXplain are looked over by NOA and any mentions or detailed discussion of that leak would land them in hot water with Nintendo, I could be wrong but before Smash 4 was released, they even talked about the damn ESRB Leak in their Analysis Machine video so why not with the Grinch leak now?

I'm starting to wonder if the "insiders" are actually just people doing damage control for Nintendo this time around. Like, Sakurai got smart and realized that the people who spread the leaks last time were dudes like GameXplain, Serebii, etc. Let's say "Incineroar" was leak bait so Nintendo would know if one of their damage controllers weren't trustworthy, which is, naturally, why we know about him. So someone ****ed up and let him slip, and now everyones confused as hell why there's suddenly a possibility of more characters than they were initially told.

Then Ninty must think that everyone is either simple minded buffoons to believe that and the "insiders" are keeping quiet because of their association with the big N or they are doing a poor job with keeping things under wraps when it comes to smash, remember that Simon leak they made on their own?

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
I feel like the Bomb New Hitbox, that seems to be gigantic is a pretty good buff for Link, Alongside the bomb being "Physically" on the stages and could lead to tons of nasty set-up, What do you think about it?
Uh, I guess we have a kill option in it, but I do think the combo potential is still there.

Bomb recovery still exists, but the method is completely different, and we might as well take it, because we have nothing else aside from Spin Attack.

I say it's good, but it might be a bit hard to use in certain areas now.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace

We need to stop calling them insiders and start calling them what they actually are: Shills.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I'm starting to wonder if the "insiders" are actually just people doing damage control for Nintendo this time around. Like, Sakurai got smart and realized that the people who spread the leaks last time were dudes like GameXplain, Serebii, etc. Let's say "Incineroar" was leak bait so Nintendo would know if one of their damage controllers weren't trustworthy, which is naturally, why we know about him. So someone ****ed up and let him slip, and now everyones confused as hell why there's suddenly a possibility of more characters than they were initially told.

Well with GameXplain its weird. Its just the radio silence on their part that is confusing to me. To not even MENTION it during their 45 minute long weekly news roundup was just super bizarre. Even if all 4 of their main members didn't believe the leak, they would have at least talked about it.
I dunno if Nintendo is paying them to keep their mouths shut or what. Its just very strange.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
guys oh my god look what i found in my snapchat
i got a video but i took a screenshot

banjokazooie.jpg

I only said I wasn't going to put effort in debunking or confirming the leak, not that I wouldn't put effort into ****posting

Team Quality Snapchat Screenshots

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Just gonna say... Agumon fits that bill pretty nicely.

Agumon for Smash.
Yes agreeded.
Honestly digimon originated as a digital gaming toy/ device.
It rivaled pokemon in some way.

Agumon vs. Pikachu or Charizard....

Its fan service.
Its unprecedented.
It would be mega hype.
Bamco still has just pacman...

...its a clear choice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom