• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akiak

Smash Ace
I'm gonna leave it for now but I'd like to hear some opinions on my last couple posts

Have been looking at this psd file (thanks Vaanrose!) but my eyes are getting real tired lol

Basically, I'm trying to find proof that the E3 banner DOES actually match all the other banners with the characters

If we can confirm that the E3 banner is IDENTICAL to the background used in every single banner with the characters (i.e. the E3 banner contains NO added detail whatsoever), then all the previous arguments regarding inconsistencies remain valid.

However if there's ANY proof that the E3 banner contains extra detail not present in any character banner, then that means we shouldn't be considering the E3 banner at all (and we can no longer compare the leak to it)!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It could even be a group of people too.

No matter how hard I think, I cannot imagine anybody stupid enough to haphazardly remove the name from Snapchat. The person who posted it clearly knows basic photo editing, it should have been easy as **** to just crop the name out. Because, to me, that definitely seems like it was meant to be found.
There's the hypothetical a kid found it, but y'know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
As far as we know the creator is the guy that posted it on 4chan, it's 4chan, anonymity is it's whole thing
Or, share it via Snapchat to post as a Snapchat leak so that the blurriness can cover up his Photoshop mistakes in a more believable way.

Not that hard to send a snap to a separate account then share that. Just saying.
Good arguments but my main problem with them is again that we're trying to assume this guy is some mastermind who predicted how everything would happen and had every single angle to this meticulously planned out.

D

Deleted member

Alright! It's finally done!

Unfortunately I couldn't get each and everyone of you in this picture. I just randomly picked a bunch of users to draw. I wish I could make more fit.
However, the castle in the background is supposed to represent the board itself with everyone in it. So technically I did get everyone in this picture!

And now, without further ado, I give you...

drumroll...

THE SMASHBOARDS ANIME POSTER!!!
(it looks nothing like actual anime but I tried my best okay?).

The users in this image are Yours truly, Luigi The President Luigi The President , @Zinith , @ToasterBrains , @Opossum , @lightdrago , @Mr. Wario , @Smashing Ramen , Idon Idon , @TotsBS , @Raspberry , @Tougon , @Zachmac , @papagenos , and @Pazzo. . I really wanted to get more users in this but hey, what can you do?
This is officially the best post in the thread, and will never be topped. Ya done good, Noipoi ya done good.

Seriously, this art is amazing, I can't stress that enough. That Wario pony put a huge smile on my face. =D

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Or, share it via Snapchat to post as a Snapchat leak so that the blurriness can cover up his Photoshop mistakes in a more believable way.

Not that hard to send a snap to a separate account then share that. Just saying.
The problem I have with this, with the added "whipped it up in an hour since the quality doesn't matter far away"--it would only take one mistake that would conclusively debunk it that he could have missed--in moving all the characters around, recreating the background, creating the new character images. Either he made no grievous mistake the first time, just got lucky, or had to keep doing it over and over again before it looked perfect when far away. The problem is the discrepancies are notable, but nothing definitive. To me, this being an accidental leak (not an intentional one like some on Team Real think) makes a lot more sense. Not impossible to fake, but an unlikely, elaborate scenario if so.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Good arguments but my main problem with them is again that we're trying to assume this guy is some mastermind who predicted how everything would happen and had every single angle to this meticulously planned out.
Wat? I'm just saying he posted onto 4chan while under anonymity how is that giving the guy super good planning credit it's literally what they all do

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Sorry for bringing this back, but I made an experiment just out of curiosity (it's made with a 3D software)
View attachment 172546

The mapping is wrong: it wouldn't close the loop, additionally the mapping is unrealistic at the left and right edges of the visible part (see how in the 3D one the image gets more compressed). This means that the mapping on that cylinder is not made by a 3D software, but it has been applied manually with a photo editing software like Photoshop or similar.
It's also badly cutted, in the leak picture it's even more cutted than in my 3D model, on the top and bottom edges.
I used the small banner picture, that's the one with the lowest resolution; despite this, the quality on my 3D cylinder is still better than the one in the leak.
This is either a very rushed mock-up, or it's not a professional work for sure.
Alright no more one of yall smarties come debunk this please. Wait why am I saying this I'm teamfake
This is a good post

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
For me, the greatest evidence to this one is in the small details. I am leaning toward fake, but I've never been so unsure of a leak and that's because of the small touches. Things like Isaac growing grass, Chorus kids having the conductor and Kazooie freaking out at Snake firing his rocket launcher are just so pure Sakurai.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
If this leak ends up being false, I'm going to be really confused as to why Sakurai thought it was OK to have 2 months of dead silence after Isabelle, when the only things left to show before release were a Pokemon that no-one knew about back in April 2015 when the ballot was on-going and an Echo that no-one would've voted for before Ryu was added in July 2015, for a game that was purportedly based on the Smash ballot.

Incineroar and Ken as the last additions make so little sense beyond cynical marketing. Having the game's reveals be front AND backloaded (start with "Everyone is here! So is Ridley!" and end with "Everyone you wanted is also here!") is infinitely more appealing, especially when everything is planned on being revealed before release and we don't have characters like Wolf/DuckHunt to discover on our own.

I dunno, it's just been too long with no meaningful news.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
If this leak ends up being false, I'm going to be really confused as to why Sakurai thought it was OK to have 2 months of dead silence after Isabelle, when the only things left to show before release were a Pokemon that no-one knew about back in April 2015 when the ballot was on-going and an Echo that no-one would've voted for before Ryu was added in July 2015, for a game that was purportedly based on the Smash ballot.

Incineroar and Ken as the last additions make so little sense beyond cynical marketing. Having the game's reveals be front AND backloaded (start with "Everyone is here! So is Ridley!" and end with "Everyone you wanted is also here!") is infinitely more appealing, especially when everything is planned on being revealed before release and we don't have characters like Wolf/DuckHunt to discover on our own.

No matter how you slice it yeah it's weird as hell.

I get it, we've never ended on a hype reveal, but we've never had a cycle of 6 months max. So many things are different marketing wise.

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice
No problem! Yeah, print can retain as much if not more than your average computer display because usually printers demand that raster images in print are at least 300pixels per inch. It's only recently than things like Apple's retina displays and other high pixel density displays started to finally catch up to print resolution for pixel density.
If the leak is fake, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF WALUIGI, make Eric (or whatever he's called) join Smashfield, he IS a god!

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I tried several times to fit you in but for the life of me it just wasn't working out. I'm really sorry.
It's all good man. I know you can't fit everyone on there. Thank you for the consideration though. I don't come in until the E3 arc, so it makes sense I wouldn't be on the first poster.

Regardless, it's a great job. Please keep making great art!

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
My only theory for team real at the moment is this guy got fired from his job of making Smash promotional material because of his shoddiness in craftmanship. Hence ''**** Nintendo."

But then it's like ''Why would Nintendo make another mural from scratch in the first place?"

and it doesn't make sense for it to be an old mural pre-E3 either? Because then why the Grinch materials?

Things like this are why I'm on a Team Hmm instead.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace

We don't know what Spirits is exactly. Perhaps it's something that makes 2 new characters not even the most interesting part of the last Direct. Even then, Sakurai himself said they went a bit overboard and that now they're slowing down.

Also an October direct never made sense honestly

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
The cylinder has a precise size, you can't stretch the picture or else the logos and artworks will be stretched as well, and they would look horrible.
The picture must have the same aspect ratio as the full circumferencce of the cylinder to work.
The image would never be stretched to fill the display, that's just ugly. If they need more image to fill the display, they'd just make more image.
Ah okay, understood. Figured that could be an issue.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Alright no more one of yall smarties come debunk this please. Wait why am I saying this I'm teamfake
This is a good post
My only debunk for that is that the leak's banner on the cylinder seems to actually be tilted downwards a bit compared to the 3D cylinder, but I'm not really sure.

I'm Team 50/50 and having doubts, but I fight for Team Real ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
If the leak is fake, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, make Eric (or whatever he's called) join Smashfield, he IS a god!
I dunno, if it's fake, the person responsible can stage a good leak, that much is certain. But we don't have any idea how good the individual character paintings look. We only have a blurry mess. =P

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Even if the leak is fake there could still be more than those 2 though

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
I've been lurking for several days now to let things calm down. After speaking with friends in the industry, conferring with fellow journalists and watching a few in-depth and objective videos, I can now say I firmly doubt the legitimacy of this "leak." People in the community here in Tokyo, with whom I have spoken, also thinking this is fake. Everybody admits it would take some bit of effort to do this, as though people don't put effort into anything ever. Not here to argue my case, just to say where I stand. I would love to see these characters in the game, but let's be honest, it'd be improved with the addition of Ayumi Tachibana.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
No matter how you slice it yeah it's weird as hell.

I get it, we've never ended on a hype reveal, but we've never had a cycle of 6 months max. So many things are different marketing wise.
Exactly this. While past precedent can help us figure out what might be possible, it doesn't prescribe what will happen--particularly since everything else about Ultimate has been different. We've never had a game announced the same year as release, the shortest marketing cycle of them all, and had every veteran revealed in the same opening trailer.

That's not to say 5 characters and 2 echoes (possibly more if other rumors are true) in one month is stretching it--but not the implausible scenario people make it out to be, especially if there are the two rumored Directs to spread out reveals.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
If the leak is fake, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF WALUIGI, make Eric (or whatever he's called) join Smashfield, he IS a god!
To be fair, we don't even know if "Eric" even did it. He could have very easily been a patsy and uninvolved with this mess.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Alright! It's finally done!

Unfortunately I couldn't get each and everyone of you in this picture. I just randomly picked a bunch of users to draw. I wish I could make more fit.
However, the castle in the background is supposed to represent the board itself with everyone in it. So technically I did get everyone in this picture!

And now, without further ado, I give you...

drumroll...

THE SMASHBOARDS ANIME POSTER!!!
(it looks nothing like actual anime but I tried my best okay?).

The users in this image are Yours truly, Luigi The President Luigi The President , @Zinith , @ToasterBrains , @Opossum , @lightdrago , @Mr. Wario , @Smashing Ramen , Idon Idon , @TotsBS , @Raspberry , @Tougon , @Zachmac , @papagenos , and @Pazzo. . I really wanted to get more users in this but hey, what can you do?
Looks sick man!

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I've been lurking for several days now to let things calm down. After speaking with friends in the industry, conferring with fellow journalists and watching a few in-depth and objective videos, I can now say I firmly doubt the legitimacy of this "leak." People in the community here in Tokyo, with whom I have spoken, also thinking this is fake. Everybody admits it would take some bit of effort to do this, as though people don't put effort into anything ever. Not here to argue my case, just to say where I stand. I would love to see these characters in the game, but let's be honest, it'd be improved with the addition of Ayumi Tachibana.
See this is what getting me.
Has Nintendo ever absolutely baited every insider like ever like this before? Is that even possible with how we are in 2018?
I'm not sure of either.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Don't worry guys, I made a picture of every person even remotely associated with Megaten together
__aegis_alex_amamiya_ren_amano_maya_catherine_and_others_catherine_game_devil_summoner_digital...jpg
Not sure whether robertman2 or Mutsukki gets to be the middle one, but I'll leave it up for them to decide.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Here's a possibility I thought of...

What if some of the things on the banner were real and some were fake? Like say for this instance this is a foolproof way to catch the leakers. By giving out something that has real info but also info that isn't real.

And if you want to get even more meta, what if some of those characters aren't actually in the game and the real banner has characters not yet shown off? i.e. Incineroar is in the game and Mach Rider isn't.

I know this sounds way out there but if everyone can give out their crackpot theories then so can I lol.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Reminder that there is an 8th version of the mural
I was expecting the had to do it to em guy here.

Memes have ruined me.
I will find it amusing if the Box's design is literally its final design and the blank spots are left on there.
This would be amusing.

But would it be possible for the design to make sense with a blank spot on the other side?

Akiak

Smash Ace
I'm gonna leave it for now but I'd like to hear some opinions on my last couple posts

Have been looking at this psd file (thanks Vaanrose!) but my eyes are getting real tired lol

Basically, I'm trying to find proof that the E3 banner DOES actually match all the other banners with the characters

If we can confirm that the E3 banner is IDENTICAL to the background used in every single banner with the characters (i.e. the E3 banner contains NO added detail whatsoever), then all the previous arguments regarding inconsistencies remain valid.

However if there's ANY proof that the E3 banner contains extra detail not present in any character banner, then that means we shouldn't be considering the E3 banner at all (and we can no longer compare the leak to it)!
A second note:

In this possible scenario I'm presenting (detail was added exclusively to the E3 banner), said detail would've been specifically added in those places which used to be covered up by characters

This means that it should be really hard to actually find a difference between the E3 banner and all the character banners, because the differences are supposed to be mostly in those hidden spaces behind the characters (and it does seem that way)...

HOWEVER there very well could be instances of changes which happen to go outside of those hidden spots...which would prove this theory.

I couldn't find anything myself but again my eyes need a rest so gonna try again tomorrow...

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I absolutely do not mean to pry, but is there a reason? Have these people seen the finalized mural, they know all the characters, They know of something not on the leak? I understand specifics can be... troublesome. So you can be vague if you must.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Remember that Smash isn't the only game releasing this year. Their marketing team (who isn't Sakurai specifically) try to structure the way they feed us content in a way that best benefits their sales. In the last 31 days, all of these games released:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Red Dead Redemption 2
Valkyria Chronicles 4
FIFA 19
Mega Man 11
Forza Horizon 4
Super Mario Party (theirs)
Luigi's Mansion 3DS (theirs)
The World Ends With You (their console)
Starlink (theirs? kinda?)
Soul Calibur VI
Dark Souls Remastered (their console)
Dragonball FighterZ (their console)
Call of Duty Black Ops 4

That's a lot to compete with, and it's very possible that they didn't want their announcements to conflict with all that stuff. They might want to entice potential customers after some of those games have released, get them to put down money for a game that comes out in December later on.
Not to mention all of the major games coming in November:
Diablo III: Eternal Collection (Switch)
Spyro Reignited Trilogy
Fallout 76
Battlefield V
Darksiders III
Warframe (Switch)
World of Final Fantasy Maxima (Switch + other consoles)
and Nintendo's main Black Friday push: Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee.

It's very hard to balance game announcements so they won't get overshadowed by another game.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Why do we even care what insiders think? No insiders or even Nintendo treehouse employees knew about Everyone is here.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Actually what do you guys think about this to explain no Incenroar:

Let’s looks at this leaked newcomer list. They are god tier choices to a lot of people.

No look at Incenroar. Is he cool? Yes. Is he super popular? Eh he’s overshadowed by decidueye even though he is the face of ash’s team in the anime(or will be).

So what if the leak is missing Incenroar because he was cut last minute? We know bowser jr. Was on the chopping block in smash 4.

So what if Incenroar unfortuantely we lower priority and the team fell behind leading to him being cut?

It would make sense to keep the echos and third parties first, and the retro.

So it would come down to Incenroar and chorus kids imo. Now if you were to be Sakurai, you’d likely cut Incenroar I’d imagine. Pokémon has tons of reps do I think they would opt to keep a brand new ip to the game over a Pokémon when Pokémon is highly repped as is.

All the insiders could have just not learned that they cut Incenroar and that’s why they believe he’s in. Plus it would mean the entire banner had to be redone.

Although at the same time I wonder if hey would finalize the banner if there was a chance someone could get cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom