• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Alright! It's finally done!

Unfortunately I couldn't get each and everyone of you in this picture. I just randomly picked a bunch of users to draw. I wish I could make more fit.
However, the castle in the background is supposed to represent the board itself with everyone in it. So technically I did get everyone in this picture!

And now, without further ado, I give you...

drumroll...

THE SMASHBOARDS ANIME POSTER!!!
(it looks nothing like actual anime but I tried my best okay?).

The users in this image are Yours truly, Luigi The President Luigi The President , Zinith Zinith , @ToasterBrains , @Opossum , @lightdrago , @Mr. Wario , @Smashing Ramen , @Idon , @TotsBS , @Raspberry , @Tougon , @Zachmac , @papagenos , and @Pazzo. . I really wanted to get more users in this but hey, what can you do?
Just in case I haven't hammered it in enough, I fixed the 404 problem with this link so if you wanna look again it works now.

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
Honestly with the nature of the leak, I'm sure people will probably still be surprised. It's currently more or less impossible to tell if it's real or fake, so it's up to the individual to look at the various facts and form an opinion for themselves.
True, but only the first reveal would really be surprising because as soon as one of the banner portraits match up, it's confirmed.

Ragel

Smash Apprentice
That's a good point. I mean those two fanbases for sure would have been among the loudest reactions if they didn't get in (I would know). It's just the fact that he's expressed specifically that he's worried about this game being leaked, and has taken extra precautions to make sure that doesn't happen, including making sure every character is revealed before launch.

But I know, these things happen and are somewhat inevitable. It's just a shame.
I mean, to be fair, he should have shown off the rest of the cast by now to avoid this. We're cutting it way too close to launch date to be holding out if you're trying to prevent a leak situation.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Unfortunately I couldn't get each and everyone of you in this picture. I just randomly picked a bunch of users to draw. I wish I could make more fit.
However, the castle in the background is supposed to represent the board itself with everyone in it. So technically I did get everyone in this picture!

drumroll...

The users in this image are Yours truly, Luigi The President Luigi The President , Zinith Zinith , @ToasterBrains , @Opossum , @lightdrago , @Mr. Wario , @Smashing Ramen , @Idon , @TotsBS , @Raspberry , @Tougon , @Zachmac , @papagenos , and @Pazzo. . I really wanted to get more users in this but hey, what can you do?
Aw man, I should've tried to get in this while I had the chance.

Looks good, though! I like it a lot~

D

Deleted member

drumroll...

Yooo, this is sick! I can't believe I'm acknowledged! Y'all better give this guy some props.
Sadly, I don't have anything to give back so... Um...

How's a piece of bread?

bread.png

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Trying to think of just how Nintendo would go about revealing 7/8 more characters in 1 month...

I am legit wondering if Sakurai would just open up a direct, once again explaining that this is the "ultimate" Smash Bros. and then we just literally see a montage of character reveals. Then the second half is just spirits mode.

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
I mean, to be fair, he should have shown off the rest of the cast by now to avoid this. We're cutting it way too close to launch date to be holding out if you're trying to prevent a leak situation.
Oh no I agree fully with that, they easily could have done more. I could understand that maybe they're worried about a long information drought right before launch that could theoretically have an effect on hype, but by this point they really should have bitten the bullet and released everything, at least pertaining to the launch roster.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Sorry for bringing this back, but I made an experiment just out of curiosity (it's made with a 3D software)
cylindercomparison.png

The mapping is wrong: it wouldn't close the loop, additionally the mapping is unrealistic at the left and right edges of the visible part (see how in the 3D one the image gets more compressed). This means that the mapping on that cylinder is not made by a 3D software, but it has been applied manually with a photo editing software like Photoshop or similar.
It's also badly cutted, in the leak picture it's even more cutted than in my 3D model, on the top and bottom edges.
I used the small banner picture, that's the one with the lowest resolution; despite this, the quality on my 3D cylinder is still better than the one in the leak.
This is either a very rushed mock-up, or it's not a professional work for sure.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I think the most hilarious thing that can happen is that we get a single newcomer reveal and it's not Kencineroar or one of the characters on the leaked Grinch banner. The absolute chaos would be incredible.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Sorry for bringing this back, but I made an experiment just out of curiosity (it's made with a 3D software)
View attachment 172546

The mapping is wrong: it wouldn't close the loop, additionally the mapping is unrealistic at the left and right edges of the visible part (see how in the 3D one the image gets more compressed). This means that the mapping on that cylinder is not made by a 3D software, but it has been applied manually with a photo editing software like Photoshop or similar.
It's also badly cutted, in the leak picture it's even more cutted than in my 3D model, on the top and bottom edges.
I used the small banner picture, that's the one with the lowest resolution; despite this, the quality on my 3D cylinder is still better than the one in the leak.
Here we go again

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Trying to think of just how Nintendo would go about revealing 7/8 more characters in 1 month...

I am legit wondering if Sakurai would just open up a direct, once again explaining that this is the "ultimate" Smash Bros. and then we just literally see a montage of character reveals. Then the second half is just spirits mode.
i'd say they show the intro for the game as the announcement (which shows all the characters)

this isn't that hard to conclude, as Capcom did this for season 3 dlc for Street Fighter 5

radBoss

Smash Cadet
Y'all taking about a Direct to clarify information, but then it reveals Mach Rider and Incineroar in the same trailer.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So, I still think it's likely that this leak is real; the outcome that this guy was angry and accidentally leaked stuff is possible, but I won't deny the other stuff also being possible. If the leak really did come from an angered 50-year-old, I find it odd it'd be an elaborate hoax, but oh well, I guess age doesn't matter, and it could've been someone else.

I'm still 50/50, though, but I'm starting to feel pessimistic about it. I just want the direct to happen please, please happen, Direct.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Y'all taking about a Direct to clarify information, but then it reveals Mach Rider and Incineroar in the same trailer.
I mean that would pretty much confirm the Grinch leak, especially if Rider takes the same spot she does in mural as the leaked mural.

Keep in mind there's apparently still an unkown character in the Grinch leak

Yes that is very suspicious

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Did a thing on how I think the final Assist Trophy count will look like.

Mind you I was too lazy to get a Rathalos icon so I used the standard MH icon lol.

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 172546

I mean maybe I'm not fully understanding because I'm not the most well-versed in this sort of thing, so correct me if this is ignorant, but does the mock-up take into account that the image would obviously be stretched to accommodate for whatever size circular display is needed?

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Noipoi Noipoi

Nice job buddy! You've got a real distinct art style that I really like (And this is coming from someone who's really critical on artwork).
It perfectly encompass SmashBoards and the people that make it awesome!
Unknown-2.jpeg

Just one tiny critique...
Were's your boi PsySmasher?
15441135.gif

(Don't worry I know you literally made this like a few minutes ago; I can barely draw a perfect circle in that amount of time)

Great job!

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Remember that Smash isn't the only game releasing this year. Their marketing team (who isn't Sakurai specifically) try to structure the way they feed us content in a way that best benefits their sales. In the last 31 days, all of these games released:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Red Dead Redemption 2
Valkyria Chronicles 4
FIFA 19
Mega Man 11
Forza Horizon 4
Super Mario Party (theirs)
Luigi's Mansion 3DS (theirs)
The World Ends With You (their console)
Starlink (theirs? kinda?)
Soul Calibur VI
Dark Souls Remastered (their console)
Dragonball FighterZ (their console)
Call of Duty Black Ops 4

That's a lot to compete with, and it's very possible that they didn't want their announcements to conflict with all that stuff. They might want to entice potential customers after some of those games have released, get them to put down money for a game that comes out in December later on.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Regardless of what happens with the banner leak, I'm still going to stick with my gut for now and believe it's real unless I see some really solid evidence against it. And I full well know the consequences of my choice if it proves to be fake, but I can accept that. I'll still be very happy; I still have my bois Snake and Simon. I believed the ESRB leak back in the day, and I damn well believe this one too. Usually I'm quite skeptical about leaks, hell I helped debunk Sassy Geno. But I'm seeing too many parallels between this leak and the ESRB one. Lots of inconsistencies and notable arguments but nothing that remotely puts the nail in the coffin. At this point, time is the only thing that will shed some light on this whole ordeal. Until then:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Noipoi Noipoi

Nice job buddy! You've got a real distinct art style that I really like (And this is coming from someone who's really critical on artwork).
It perfectly encompass SmashBoards and the people that make it awesome!
View attachment 172550

Just one tiny critique...
Were's your boi PsySmasher?
View attachment 172551

(Don't worry I know you literally made this like a few minutes ago; I can barely draw a perfect circle in that amount of time)

Great job!
I really tried to fit everyone I could while still having it look competent!

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I'm still in the boat, that if the leak is real, the banner art is from a beta or it changes for the final iteration due to some unknown reason.( character size maybe?)

Perhaps a last minute addition got added and thus they need to redraw things and the banner got changed up a bit.

Of course that's just a theory,

A GAME THEORY!

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I mean maybe I'm not fully understanding because I'm not the most well-versed in this sort of thing, so correct me if this is ignorant, but does the mock-up take into account that the image would obviously be stretched to accommodate for whatever size circular display is needed?
I'd imagine the firm itself would have specified the needed dimensions for that kind of thing. Could be wrong, though.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
The cylinder has a precise size, you can't stretch the picture or else the logos and artworks will be stretched as well, and they would look horrible.
The picture must have the same aspect ratio as the full circumferencce of the cylinder to work.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
K so I've been thinking about this and I'm not sure if anyone has considered this yet but why would someone go through all of this effort to make a fake smash leak that looks really good and only show it to a few friends on snapchat? If this were some guy making an elaborate fake you'd think he would post it on 4chan to try to trick the entire internet or something.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
The image would never be stretched to fill the display, that's just ugly. If they need more image to fill the display, they'd just make more image.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
K so I've been thinking about this and I'm not sure if anyone has considered this yet but why would someone go through all of this effort to make a fake smash leak that looks really good and only show it to a few friends on snapchat? If this were some guy making an elaborate fake you'd think he would post it on 4chan to try to trick the entire internet or something.
As far as we know the creator is the guy that posted it on 4chan, it's 4chan, anonymity is it's whole thing

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Or, share it via Snapchat to post as a Snapchat leak so that the blurriness can cover up his Photoshop mistakes in a more believable way.

Not that hard to send a snap to a separate account then share that. Just saying.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Y'know...

Aren't some marketing decorations cheaply made, with some even seeming to look cheap? :thinking:

forgive me if wrong

It's odd that these diagrams and such are encased in plastic, though...

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
Not only that, but release it at a time when the next reveal is likely right around the corner, a couple weeks max. it just seems strange to go through all this effort with all these precise details just knowing that not long after you put it out it will most definitely be debunked. Granted, some people may just like seeing the chaos.

Though you could hypothetically make the argument that there were no friends that he sent it to through Snapchat, and he merely played the roles of both of the leaker and the one who posted the image.

Last edited:

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
It's become pretty conclusive at this point that the only way to truly debunk this one is with the next direct. Still leaning toward fake, but I expect we are two weeks tops from knowing the truth.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

drumroll...

I'd definitely watch this.

>tfw you don't get included though you're a regular user feels bad man

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
As far as we know the creator is the guy that posted it on 4chan, it's 4chan, anonymity is it's whole thing
It could even be a group of people too.

No matter how hard I think, I cannot imagine anybody stupid enough to haphazardly remove the name from Snapchat. The person who posted it clearly knows basic photo editing, it should have been easy as **** to just crop the name out. Because, to me, that definitely seems like it was meant to be found.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Thanks for the clarification, I was just curious because I am not a graphic designer so I have no knowledge about printing artwork. I was mainly concerned with high-res stuff looking bad or losing detail if it was shrunk down and printed on a small object, and taking into consideration what type of material it was printed on. I appreciate the insight!
No problem! Yeah, print can retain as much if not more than your average computer display because usually printers demand that raster images in print are at least 300pixels per inch. It's only recently than things like Apple's retina displays and other high pixel density displays started to finally catch up to print resolution for pixel density.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom