• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akiak

Smash Ace
But the banner who the company had 2 weeks ago would be a banner more outdated than june?! And clearly they moved every characters randomly they didn't draw the banner each time for each move. The right rock was in the 1st banner. Why would they had make it so small because "We don't need a complete background" and add the second part later. They don't create the background around every characters..
That's the thing, I believe the E3 background was ONLY used for E3, nothing more... Because it's only needed when the characters aren't there...

There's no reason to use the extra-detail version if it's gonna be full of characters

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
How do we know this is a wristband exactly? Doesn't seem like a good idea from a designer's perspective to include 80+ characters on something that goes on your wrist. You'd think it would just be the smash title logo.
It may be meant for a circular-fixture.

Makes sense due to how big it is compared to the note attached to it.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I definitely think something from Rhythm Heaven HAS to be in. I don't think Sakurai is going to leave Rhythm Heaven in the dust. I also don't think he'd leave Isaac, Banjo, and Geno in the dust.
Banjo and Geno are kind of completely out of his power considering they aren't owned by Nintendo.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'm on Team Hmmm to Team Fake nowadays. I think we're getting more than Keniroar, but... the leak is just too much.

Pains me to say it because Banjo has been my most wanted since Sonic and I never thought it was even possible.

But revealing 7 characters with 40 days to go... nah.

Even when Sakurai warned us to keep our hopes low.

I don't think that was a fake out.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
I don't know if this has been asked yet, so sorry if it's already been covered. But would there be any value in the background changing in order to be used in mass-produced promotional material? By this I mean: the background being simplified such as lowering the amount of detail and simplifying other aspects so they still look decent at a lower resolution (i.e. to be used on shirts, armbands and/or other printed materials). I'm just curious to see if the leaked version could be used solely for this purpose to save cost on ink and the like, while also allowing it to be printed on other materials with no problems. I mean obviously the banner on the website and on screens at events will be the full-res, highly detailed version, but I just feel like the leaked one could be used in things sent to stores in mass quantities for whatever purpose, like stickers, wall trim, etc.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I will say this...

Out of all the leaked characters, I think Isaac has the best likelihood for inclusion regardless of this leak being real or not. Between the Golden Sun trademark, the Rathalos tweet, the alleged Golden Sun item, and Isaac's massive popularity, he has the best chance for inclusion out of all these characters.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
How do we know this is a wristband exactly? Doesn't seem like a good idea from a designer's perspective to include 80+ characters on something that goes on your wrist. You'd think it would just be the smash title logo.
It's not a wristband. And I have absolutely no idea why people keep thinking it is.

It's a circular store fixture meant to be hung. No one's trying to make a three-piece paper wrist band.

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
But they move every character of sometime 1/2cm and reveal new parts of the banner that are all identical at E3. How every time they revealed 1mm more on the left of one character they redraw everything behind. No one would work like that.
Not redrawn multiple times, just twice. I’m saying that it’s possible that the leak mural background was always the background to be used when there are characters covering it up. The shifting just reveals portions of the background that are on the leaked mural. I don’t know if I’m making sense.

The digital background was made extra crisp because the characters would take a moment to pop up on the foreground (plus it was a live showcase).

Last edited:

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
How did everyone even come to the conclusion that all we had left was Ken and Incineroar before the leak anyway? We "knew" those two were coming, but no one said that was all

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I will say this...

Out of all the leaked characters, I think Isaac has the best likelihood for inclusion regardless of this leak being real or not. Between the Golden Sun trademark, the Rathalos tweet, and Isaac's massive popularity, he has the best chance for inclusion out of all these characters.
Don't forget the supposed Golden Sun item.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Also the remaining characters are Incineroar, Banjo, Mach Rider, Issac, Ken and Shadow, with Sora, Rex and a Bethesda rep as the first DLCs.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
It may be meant for a circular-fixture.

Makes sense due to how big it is compared to the note attached to it.
That's what I was thinking. Murals are supposed to be viewed in a large size. Not something small like a wristband or a keychain.

Well either way the direct next week will surely answer everyone's questions.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
How did everyone even come to the conclusion that all we had left was Ken and Incineroar before the leak anyway? We "knew" those two were coming, but no one said that was all
Vergeben mixed with Box Theory

But it was mostly Box Theory

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
When the banner first got shown I couldn't wait to hang up the full thing, now I don't even know if I can look at it the same way without it thinking of this crazy situation.
As long as the final roster ends up being better than Incineroar and Ken being the only newcomers at the end, I think the banner will remain excellent.
It will be perfect if the Grinch leak is true, though.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
These two posts of yours have been super interesting.

But... I have a question! (For anyone who might have the answer)

Would any of the background design changes be justified by being a result of accounting for printing/ink costs?

i.e. simplifying colours in the background so it doesn't cost as much to print.

The mural can look however you want it to when all you need it to do is be a graphic on a screen, but when you need to print hundreds of them in a large size, then you might start worrying about ink costs (and the more characters there are, the more you'd want the background to be simple to allow those characters to pop and to not break the bank).
The printer won't see the background and the characters as different entities, so everything that is obsucred by characters won't make a difference in cost, as that area is not going to use less ink than before.

Box Theory. Which I honestly still think is right, along with some insiders speaking out

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Because people confuse "tempering expectations" with being "utterly depressing."

It's not to say that was their intention, but the aggressiveness and desire for those being the only two left were what was off-putting.

Fenn

Smash Cadet
in the original image which I don't have a link to ( if someone could link to it that be great) the shape isn't just a rectangle with the mural on it. It does have the title and the Nintendo switch logo along with a version of the empty Battlefield and the battlefield with characters connected just like in the looping version. On the far left side there is a white rectangle with curved edges and thick black lines like a border. I believe this is meant to be a hole. on the other end of the rectangle there's a little knob with a bigger piece on one end that looks like due to the shape it would fit through the hole but would also hold snugly. If the case is that it is a wristband, then it would make sense why underneath the papers you can see one or two more boxes hidden (and through the paper on the left of the image you can see red where the Nintendo switch logo would be). It would make sense why someone in a printing company would be mass-producing these or printing them on normal sized paper. this is all the evidence I have, I just find it weird that people at calling it a mural when that is the farthest from what would be right, because even if it isn't a wristband, then it still has the shapes to be something other than a normal picture.

Tyrathius

Smash Cadet
I think it was just a combination of box theory and those being the only two characters named by credible sources.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Vergeben saying there's a pokemon rep, Box theory, and the ken image leak.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I will say this...

Out of all the leaked characters, I think Isaac has the best likelihood for inclusion regardless of this leak being real or not. Between the Golden Sun trademark, the Rathalos tweet, and Isaac's massive popularity, he has the best chance for inclusion out of all these characters.
I agree to a certain extent. I definitely believe that he has the best chance out of any unique leaked newcomer. Between a the things you mentioned plus the mysterious item possibly being something Golden Sun related, Isaac is really the only unique newcomer that has any substantial evidence pointing to his inclusion outside of leaks.

However, I do think Ken, and possibly Shadow, have better chances of getting in.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The printer won't see the background and the characters as different entities, so everything that is obsucred by characters won't make a difference in cost, as that area is not going to use less ink than before.
Although, if the background is being printed separately each time, it would make sense...

...but that's really inconvenient...

Fenn

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this has been asked yet, so sorry if it's already been covered. But would there be any value in the background changing in order to used in mass-produced promotional material? By this I mean: the background being simplified such as lowering the amount of detail and simplifying other aspects so they still look decent at a lower resolution (i.e. to be used on shirts, armbands and/or other printed materials). I'm just curious to see if the leaked version could be used solely for this purpose to save cost on ink and the like, while also allowing it to be printed on other materials with no problems. I mean obviously the banner on the website and on screens at events will be the full-res, highly detailed version, but I just feel like the leaked one could be used in things sent to stores in mass quantities for whatever purpose, like stickers, wall trim, etc.
Yes, it is my personal belief that if it does fit my Wrist Band Theory, then it would make sense for them to make the picture have less detail as to not make it look gritty or otherwise unpleasant.

vigneault.charles

Smash Rookie
Not redrawn multiple times, just twice. I’m saying that it’s possible that the leak mural background was always the background to be used when there are characters covering it up. The shifting just reveals portions of the background that are on the leaked mural. I don’t know if I’m making sense.

The digital background was made extra crisp because the characters would take a moment to pop up on the foreground (plus it was a live showcase).
But even then how the company had the last iteration of the banner, one not even released to the public but not an updated version of the background (before june)

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
These two posts of yours have been super interesting.

But... I have a question! (For anyone who might have the answer)

Would any of the background design changes be justified by being a result of accounting for printing/ink costs?

i.e. simplifying colours in the background so it doesn't cost as much to print.

The mural can look however you want it to when all you need it to do is be a graphic on a screen, but when you need to print hundreds of them in a large size, then you might start worrying about ink costs (and the more characters there are, the more you'd want the background to be simple to allow those characters to pop and to not break the bank).
Good question. And I feel like I can actually answer this one with authority, as I order things to be printed from print shops all the time for work as a graphic designer. No, small changes to an image like this would not affect cost in the slightest. The things that factor into print cost are number of ink colors (in this case, it's practically guaranteed to be 4-color process CMYK, rather than using spot colors like Pantone), the size of the prints, the formatting (whether it needs to be cut, folded, printed on two sides, etc.), the paper/substrate type, and the quantity. You could swap out the banner background for a screenshot of Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up music video and the price would remain the same as long as your quantity and print size/format and paper type remain unchanged.

Ask any other professional graphic designer and I'm sure they'll tell you the same thing. =P

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Because people confuse "tempering expectations" with being "utterly depressing."

It's not to say that was their intention, but the aggressiveness and desire for those being the only two left were what was off-putting.
I hate when people say this. I don't care if anybody thinks that only two characters left is depressing. If it's what it looks like it's gonna be, I'm going to believe that. Hype and inflated expectations be damned,

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I will say this...

Yeah I actually am thinking it's like Isaac, Shadow, Ken and Inceniroar at the moment.

StormC

Smash Hero
Also the remaining characters are Incineroar, Banjo, Mach Rider, Issac, Ken and Shadow, with Sora, Rex and a Bethesda rep as the first DLCs.
I'm not a Kingdom Hearts fan, but if Grinch was true? Sora as DLC would be an absolute revelation.

too bad disney will cockblock it

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Don't forget the supposed Golden Sun item.
Crap how could I forget that given that it was literally 2 days ago lol.

Add that to the bucket list.
I agree to a certain extent. I definitely believe that he has the best chance out of any unique leaked newcomer. Between a the things you mentioned plus the mysterious item possibly being something Golden Sun related, Isaac is really the only unique newcomer that has any substantial evidence pointing to his inclusion outside of leaks.

However, I do think Ken, and possibly Shadow, have better chances of getting in.
Shadow i'm iffy on my absolutely Ken.

Among unique characters, Isaac is def the most likely.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Actual box theory is:
  • No additional echoes except one on the "bottom row" (which we have now confirmed as Ken) in the base game
  • At least one additional newcomer (beyond Isabelle)
  • Additional newcomers increasingly unlikely?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Between the box theorists being loud and proud and everyone trying to temper their expectations, post-Isabelle was a dark time.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Actual box theory is:
  • No additional echoes except one on the "bottom row" (which we have now confirmed as Ken) in the base game
  • At least one additional newcomer (beyond Isabelle)
  • Additional newcomers increasingly unlikely?
I thought Box Theory suggested there'd be no newcomers after the additional one. Or at the very leak, newcomers would seriously alter the design of the box, so they were unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom