• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
It has been a while since I posted here helping with the ESRB leak from Smash 3DS. Hi everybody :p

So here's something you can try with the background if you have photoshop, and understand what happens to the image because of the low quality and artifacts caused by the recording.

Let's compare the clean background with the leaked background. Look at the spots marked in red, which are (at least to me) the most suspicious spots in the image.

View attachment 172360

Now, let's apply a filter to the clean background: Filter > Noise > Median.

See what happens to the waterfalls if I increase the value of the filter:
View attachment 172363

The waterfall from the right tends to dissapear, just like in the leaked image.

And this is what happens to the castle area:

View attachment 172364

Doesn't it look a lot more like the leaked image? I just played with the "median" filter in photoshop, that's all. You can try!

So, yeah... My point is that we have been look at the same exact background all the time, but it has been severely modified because of quality and artifacts stuff. Don't forget we are looking at the screenshot of a video in motion of a draft print.

(If you want the same result, apply Median 19 for the waterfalls and Median 28 for the castle area).
This is an awesome finding, and I think that it plays both in favor and against the leak.
-In favor, because it may just be a loss in quality causing those artifacts
-Against, because since the artifacts are consistent between the several Smash pictures and the rest of the photo seems less distorced, maybe the leaker applied that specific filter on the pictures before printing them, to make sure they were blurry enough.

In support of the second option, the picture of the hanging cylinder thing on the left has a texture, and said texture is WAY MORE blurry than anything else in the photo. Maybe that's a closer look at the banner, and maybe it's not blurry because of the camera but because the picture is natively blurry.

Unfortunatelly I can't find the part of the banner matching with the one on the cylinder and can't compare, if anyone has better eye than me and a better monitor overall (my monitor sucks) that would help.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm sorry but the irony in this statement is astounding.
For the 100th time dudes: The reason the Grinch leak has legitimacy isn't because of the roster image, but because of the CIRCUMSTANCES SURROUNDING IT.

Ofc anyone could fake the Smash Mural. That's never been the reason people clung to it. People believe it, because EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT IT MAKES IT SEEMS ACTUALLY LEGIT. That's why the background debunk is so dumb. Because none of us are hung up on the quality of something that's relatively easy to fake, but rather the insane CIRCUMSTANCES that it would take for this to be fake in the first place.

Is it REALLY that hard for people to understand that? The reason this makes the Rayman leak look like a goddamn joke, is because that proved that anyone could put any effort into making a leak look AUTHENTIC. But NO ONE has ever tried to legitimize a leak by providing an identity, and a company, and other authentic material made by a professional, putting ALL these individuals and companies at risk in the process. As well as creating fake promo material for ANOTHER totally random product, just to prove you really ARE someone who works in this field and handles this sort of material. And then casually set up a trail of breadcrumbs for internet detectives to follow and discover. And the effort necessary to fake this, is MONUMENTALLY larger than any leak ever. That's what makes this real, not the goddamn image, holy ****.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I would say it's the same reason. We are being tricked by the quality and artifacts. Certain colors tend to move caused by the same reason and this leads to the illusion that the crystals are indeed in different shapes and positions (I think the use of "totally different" is exaggerating too much tough). Look at the original leak with all the new characters and compare them with the official clean image.

View attachment 172372

Pac-Man for example just looks like a total red mess caused by the compression and motion of the video. See how there's some extra red parts that are not present in the real one:

View attachment 172373
you're making this leak feel more real everytime ;0;

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I suppose I should've specified Ultimate-wise haha
Believe me I know. I recall insiders confirming Shovel Knight was in as DLC for 4!
It's all good, lol.

I just don't wanna jump the gun and assume just because the track record's good now means it's 100% infallible. Gematsu was doing pretty good until everything fell apart. Some things could be misinformation, outdated information, ETC.

Last edited by a moderator:

kirbstr

Smash Apprentice
How about we all just assume this leak is fake until we have actual evidence from Nintendo or Sakurai themselves that it could be real.

That way we can all hype responsibly while also taking a more critical perspective on the situation, void of our own emotions.

KMDP

Smash Legend
And what exactly have you seen?
He saw the true spirit of Christmas.

And his hype grew three sizes that day.
All this over some crystals and waterfalls.

I'm not a graphic artist expert. I can't get too into the nitty gritty about it.

But Grinch refuses to die after three solid days of investigation.

At this point I'm just along for the ride.
"Refusing to die after three days".

Guys, are we in some kind of Christ allegory?
When did Hallowe'en become Easter?

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
It has been a while since I posted here helping with the ESRB leak from Smash 3DS. Hi everybody :p

So here's something you can try with the background if you have photoshop, and understand what happens to the image because of the low quality and artifacts caused by the recording.

Let's compare the clean background with the leaked background. Look at the spots marked in red, which are (at least to me) the most suspicious spots in the image.

View attachment 172360

View attachment 172363

View attachment 172364

Doesn't it look a lot more like the leaked image? I just played with the "median" filter in photoshop, that's all. You can try!

So, yeah... My point is that we have been look at the same exact background all the time, but it has been severely modified because of quality and artifacts stuff. Don't forget we are looking at the screenshot of a video in motion of a draft print.

(If you want the same result, apply Median 19 for the waterfalls and Median 28 for the castle area).
What the **** is it with me getting or making dinner that makes important things happen

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I would say it's the same reason. We are being tricked by the quality and artifacts. Certain colors tend to move caused by the same reason and this leads to the illusion that the crystals are indeed in different shapes and positions (I think the use of "totally different" is exaggerating too much tough). Look at the original leak with all the new characters and compare them with the official clean image.

View attachment 172372

Pac-Man for example just looks like a total red mess caused by the compression and motion of the video. See how there's some extra red parts that are not present in the real one:

View attachment 172373
Now this.

THIS IS REAL EVIDENCE RIGHT HERE.

None of that hypothetical **** all ya'll team real dudes have been preaching.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
For the 100th time dudes, goddamn. The reason the Grinch leak has legitimacy isn't because of the roster image, Jesus Christ, but because of the CIRCUMSTANCES SURROUNDING IT.

Ofc anyone could fake the Smash Mural. That's never been the reason people clung to it. People believe it, because EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT IT MAKES IT SEEMS ACTUALLY LEGIT. That's why the background debunk is so ****ing ********. Because none of us are hung up on the quality of something that's relatively easy to fake, but rather the insane CIRCUMSTANCES that it would take for this to be fake in the first place.

Is it REALLY that hard for people to understand that? The reason this makes the Rayman leak look like a goddamn joke, is because that proved that anyone could put any effort into making a leak look AUTHENTIC. But NO ONE has ever tried to legitimize a leak by proving providing an identity, and a company, and other authentic material made by a professional, putting ALL these individuals and leaks in the process. And the effort necessary to fake this, is MONUMENTALLY larger than any leak ever. That's what makes this real, not the goddamn image, holy ****.
Hi there!

Please take a look at this handy pyramid:

disagreement-hierarchy.jpg

What you're doing is called name-calling, the lowest of the low. Please use this pyramid to build handy arguments that are more constructive towards our discussion.

Have a nice day! :)

Chrollo.

fka president wario
All this over some crystals and waterfalls.

I'm not a graphic artist expert. I can't get too into the nitty gritty about it.

But Grinch refuses to die after three solid days of investigation.

At this point I'm just along for the ride.
You know what grew three times its size?

791C0214-0BA0-4F4E-B46C-6275017292EF.jpeg

LEAK CONFIRMED

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
No, we're definitely not 100% sure (or at least no one should be IMO since all we do know currently is it's a sprout in a bubble.)
It could be a Smash original item for all we know.
That's fair.
A lot of people are treating it like it's confirmation of Golden Sun so I was curious.
Isaac for Smash pls

kylexv

Smash Master
Here is a cleared-up of the banner, courtesy of Tr1pleDee on Reddit:

Cleared-up Leak Banner.png

It also makes it easier to see the unrevealed characters.

He said it took him an insane amount of effort to do. So either the leaker went through a ludicrous amount of effort to create this, do a bunch of research to gain false credibility, and post it on Snapchat of all places, or the leak is real.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion

View attachment 172372

View attachment 172373
Now this.

None of that hypothetical **** all ya'll team real dudes have been preaching.[/QUOTE]

And YOU were the one telling me not to be a braggart the other night.

Irony.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
At this point, I want a Smash Speculation anime. It would last for 40 episodes on each part of Smash Spec. (Teaser Saga, E3 Saga, August Saga, Grinch Saga, Release is a 10 part finale).

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
PAC-MAN looks odd because Ganondorf moved.

If fake, there was a LOT of changes made, holy moly.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

View attachment 172360

View attachment 172363

View attachment 172364

Not all heroes wear capes.

This leak is truly is the craziest **** I ever seen.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019

View attachment 172360

View attachment 172363

View attachment 172364

You absolute legend. God Bless you.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
How about we all just assume this leak is fake until we have actual evidence from Nintendo or Sakurai themselves that it could be real.

That way we can all hype responsibly while also taking a more critical perspective on the situation, void of our own emotions.
We don't need people to tell us to "hype responsibly" Let each individual decide how they want to handle their hype. We're all adults here.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Hey guys, just wanted to stop in and offer a download to the PSD I've been using to compare various versions of the banner to see if the background has changed. So far, I've got the Wendy's truck, the 21752px wide E3 banner (post-ridley), the off-screen empty banner from the E3, the most recent website banner, and the empty background from the leak.

If you guys can provide links to other versions of the banner, I can add them as well. If updated, it'll still be downloadable from the same link. =)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dh2k3q1pr58p870/smash banner comparison.psd?dl=0

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Are we sure the LinkedIn account is deleted because right now we are discussing it on my discord server and someone has just sent screenshots showing they can still access both accounts, you just need to be logged in.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

None of that hypothetical **** all ya'll team real dudes have been preaching.
I feel attacked and I know you aren't talking about me because every time I thought of something like this I explicitly didn't say anything about it and all I've been doing is posting ****posts and recaps

Tell me you aren't attacking me ponycorn
pls

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Exactly. The issue here is that you refuse to believe it, cause you're not convinced, and you're unaware of just how much camera quality and compression affect an image, and just how radically they can change it.

Thus, the only way to effectively convince you is to have you recreate the exact same conditions under which the snapchat screens were taken, and see for yourself just how much your own images get distorted. Literally, apply the scientific method to it. If you're not willing to that far, yet insist on clinging to that dumb argument, then that's on you. The background debunk is as equally stupid as the "Shulk is a photoshopped L.Mac" debate from the ESRB. It's probably the dumbest way to try and debunk the Grinch Leak. Which I do think COULD have better angles that I wish people who wanna prove is fake would approach and explore, but everyone is so hung up on believing the backgrounds being different is strong enough evidence to prove the leak could be faked.
Here's the thing, burden of proof falls on the leaker.

That said, I am still open to the possibility of it being real. I'm just going to need more actual evidence in its favor to be convinced.

View attachment 172372

View attachment 172373
Pac-man is a little blurred there, but it still has nothing on those crystals.
I'm talking about these crystals, for the record.
Crystals.png

That crystal on the right looks like it's in a "totally different" shape and position to me. I made sure to line the two images up to before I cropped them down like this, so I didn't just move one of the to the side.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Is it just me or does it seem like insiders have seen more than Ken and Incineroar? If they're right and the Grinch leak is fake, it seems like the box theory is still most likely wrong.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
So while everyone is bending over backwards trying to prove/disprove the leak, has anyone stopped to consider that this man from the printshop is likely having his life torn apart by random people trying to contact him out of nowhere? Whether he is actually involved or not, his name is attached to this and it's not going to end well for him. Just something to think about.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Is it just me or does it seem like insiders have seen more than Ken and Incineroar? If they're right and the Grinch leak is fake, it seems like the box theory is still most likely wrong.
I agree that it looks like they've seen more. If I had to guess, this thing is missing Minecraft Steve. He completely disappeared from peoples' lips.

Untouch

Smash Master
well vergeben has been talking about a square enjix rep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom