• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Midoji

Smash Rookie
View attachment 172260

Surfing around, I found this. Note that Konami IS on the box, but the creator of this image forgot to list them. Microsoft is not present. These are some of those early download code-included Switch bundled boxes.

Would these need to have the final trademark/copyright information on the box in order to be distributed? If so, this completely debunks Steve/Banjo.
Pretty sure that's just for characters' on the box and/or on the downloadable card juste like here :

Last edited:

ekc

Smash Cadet
I thought the drought made me crave a direct, but this, this Grinch situation, has made the wait unbearable. Nintendo pls.

Luig

Confused
All we can do while we wait for the direct is make more grinch memes. Like, we've hit a wall. I don't believe much more evidence will be figured out, we've thoroughly analyzed the stuff that we have, and we have found the holes and the reasons why people would believe it. This will be a long wait in this thread.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I'd be pretty sad, but not at Sakurai. Itd be against the leaker who went to such extraordinary lengths to trick people's emotions in such a convincing and big way.

This person is much different from Omni and others, who have all came forth about their leaks really soon after. This one may be getting an actual person into legal trouble or forcing them to hide their face or information. That right there would probably make me quit smash speculation forever, as it'd would set a new low for how far people are willing to go.

Anyway, I personally still can't fathom it being fake, only because the coincidences and connections the leak has artistically and how it arose would be absolutely ridiculous if fake.
Kinda the same. I had always thought Banjo was likely given the various reasons I've mentioned for the past couple months, so this, if fake, doesn't change my predictions on that front. But the one thing that made me doubt it was never seeing Banjo in anything seemingly legitimate--just felt a character that big would have some murmurs going around. And now, him being involved in this leak, and now some murmurs about Microsoft sources mentioning they're in and all of the groundswell of support that has emerged--if this is fake, it'll certainly have twisted my emotions.

And even if it's fake and Banjo's in, after seeing this "roster"--even with characters I didn't expect, I'll keep thinking "but they all fit so well." Like you said, I would be upset at Sakurai. And in a way, I'm already upset at this leaker given what he's possibly done to peoples livelihoods, as well as some of the toxicity that it's spawned from supporters of the leak (been ignoring the Banjo thread for that reason).

I can definitely consider the scenario this is fake given the holes in both sides, but still the pros outweigh the cons, and it seems like we won't come up with anything conclusive unless something dramatic happens.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

>fakes and oversells every reaction he make

boi did you not see etika's reaction to mewtwo, it was so legendary to see behold.
His heart rate went to 170+ with Isabelle, I think that says something too.

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Alright since I thought on it a bit more, here’s my list of potential DLC if this leak is real:
-Dixie Kong
-Bandana Dee
-Skull Kid
-Spring Man
-Paper Mario
-Gen 8 Pokemon
-Crash
-Rayman
-Sora
And maybe waluigi if that’s possible, i won’t go any further than that. I definitely think we could get more DLC this time around, up to 10 is my guess.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Yeah...everything's looking about the same right now, so I'll give it a good half day before I check back. It looks like news on this is slowing up, and the weekend isn't gonna help.

It's a good time to take a breather, guys and gals.

ekc

Smash Cadet
I've learned to stop using NoA twitter for speculation, it just ends in heart break and mobile games.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Glad I am not the only one.

As a Paper Mario supporter there is some hope that this item might be from Super Paper Mario - and it would fit perfectly to Smash Bros. We already have the flower-item, why not the sprout-item on the heads of the characters?
Except if they were alluding to Paper Mario for that item they would've stuck to the artstyle for the game which they don't

CCub

Smash Rookie
For anyone curious of what the bundle looks like without being cropped, it's on reddit:

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I don't even know what's real or fake anymore after the whole Etika thing being a stunt. All I can really say on the matter is that it's weird how Nintendo hasn't went after people when back during the ESRB days, they did.
How was that a stunt, I was in discord with people who were friends with them and hey legitimately called the cops. He’s going through an actual mental illness of some sort.

Attachments

KMDP

Smash Legend
Just woke up. Has anything noteworthy happened in the last 8 hours?
Another box has surfaced (the Switch Bundle box) that doesn't list certain companies in the copyright section.

However, that point has been easily countered so... *shrug*
why do boxes literally suck all the fun out of smash discussion.
without fail, every time.
I think this video will answer your question.
:troll:

Last edited:

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman
did we talk about how Shovel Knight is an intellectual property of Yacht Club being used for this game, yet they aren't being credited either :estatic:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
copyrights only needed for characters on the box. See my above post.
To put it simply - ASSUMING grinch leak is real, There is NO reason at all to put a Microsoft trademark on the special edition console box. Banjo isn't on the box! Everyone else whos trademark is there IS on the box.
I fear this will be burried but I hope you see it.

This isn't true. Shulk is not on the box but Monlith Soft is credited. A pic above my post shows that.

This doesn't dent the leak at all as we clarified, I just want it to be clear it's not about who is on the box but rather who has been revealed (alternatively though it's possible every party that needed to be credited was revealed before hand so the proper credits could go on the box. But yea not an actual point toward anything).

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
Alright since I thought on it a bit more, here’s my list of potential DLC if this leak is real:
-Dixie Kong
-Bandana Dee
-Skull Kid
-Spring Man
-Paper Mario
-Gen 8 Pokemon
-Crash
-Rayman
-Sora
And maybe waluigi if that’s possible, i won’t go any further than that. I definitely think we could get more DLC this time around, up to 10 is my guess.
Speaking of that i cant believe that if the leak gets confirmed, i cant picture more newcomers...

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
That's genuinely laughable, literally everything there is wrong. The Chorus Kids are NOTABLY different, that net is not duplicated, characters moving is not an issue, it's already been shown that shadows are getting smaller and less opaque with every new version of the panorama, we've been through the fact the pixelation blurs colors slightly, and the dumbest one of all, he specifically said 'no more Fire Emblem' AFTER the direct, meaning we're not getting anything like Black Knight or Celica (for god's sake 'debunker', use your head).
...Does this guy not know his months? He very deliberately circled "No more fire emblem characters" and the date on the 4chan post being in September with a red arrow pointing to the August reveal of Chrom like it disproved the leak??

Edit: Look at the rest of the twitter. This is a troll.
>villager net as conductor's head

doesn't even look like same to me. that's shulk is photoshopped little mac tier.
Nah, that's a huge stretch. The Chorus Kids just look a little similar because of their simple designs.
THis sounds like i think this leak is fake, no i think it's real but just wanted to say it because it's been budging me and i never noticed the bow tie and it was blurry so thank u whoever pointed it out

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Why don't you mind your business, chief.
In case you're too blind to see, the guy was spamming this **** across multiple pages.
Someone needed to call them out on it.
So you are upset he is team real? Is that it? I get you are upset about the Grinch leak, but come on.

And to add on to what you said, adding Incineroar as DLC makes even less sense than Gen 7 missing from Ultimate altogether.

The whole reason why so many of us could see Sakurai choosing Incineroar is because we were sure he didn't know who would be popular back then. But if Sakurai decided to hold off on Gen 7 for base roster and add a rep as DLC, then that would make his choice of Incineroar even more puzzling. By mid 2017, not only was it evident that Incineroar wasn't the favorite starter (I presume it was Primarina based off the Pokemon fandom's reception), but Game Freak publicly announced that Gen 8 was in the works.

If Incineroar is in this game, it's base. DLC shouldn't even be an option here.

That's completely identical to what I want from DLC. I'd also like a new Zelda character (preferably a Champion), but I won't grumble if we don't and get at least two of the characters you mentioned.

Honestly DLC is gonna be so different since the switch is not a dead system. The Wii U was dead when smash 4 came out. The switch has at least 4 more years. Therefore more dlc.

ItsZant

Smash Cadet
I fear this will be burried but I hope you see it.

This isn't true. Shulk is not on the box but Monlith Soft is credited. A pic above my post shows that.

This doesn't dent the leak at all as we clarified, I just want it to be clear it's not about who is on the box but rather who has been revealed (alternatively though it's possible every party that needed to be credited was revealed before hand so the proper credits could go on the box. But yea not an actual point toward anything).
I forgot to mention that people are saying it's not only for characters on the box but the card with the digital code too. (So basically what you are saying).

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That's giving it way too much credit; it's very possible the person themselves is working on printing official promotional material for the Grinch and was doing this as a side project. And if he was in the industry, he'd know to go out looking for connections and the like (if he isn't just a coworker from the first company). The only questionable part is using someone else's name.
Except, again, he's then possibly breaking an NDA with Universal/Illumination, implicated his place of work in a scandal troubling enough to make them put out an official statement and launch an investigation, throwing his career away, and possibly being blacklisted from the industry... all for a fake leak and, at most, two weeks of internet fame. Believing this means he's somehow a diabolical genius and paint chip eating idiot at the same time because there's no logical end game. Why put this much effort into something that would very likely ruin your life if you were discovered?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I've learned to stop using NoA twitter for speculation, it just ends in heart break and mobile games.
Redundant, but true. :chuckle:

I dunno, its entirely possible MS, Rare and Camelot will be added to actual game cases, but for now Im going #TeamRuhRoh to be safe
We've already established contents in the copyright don't necessarily have to reflect in game. It's been close, with some of these character this close to release, but that was true even before this leak. I don't think we'll get anything conclusive until a Direct.

D

Deleted member

Do we know if this Eric dude was punished or anything like that? If he was fired or w/e this could very well be the final nail in the coffin of team real

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom