• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
Leak won't die, and it won't confirm. I won't give it my trust incase it turns out to be fake.

But I sure hope its real, since its an amazing roster and it would be awesome just for long time fans getting their most wanted in. I got the amazaing rush of seeing my most wanted at e3 with Ridley, so I'm hoping the Banjo, Issac, Geno, Rythem Heaven and Shadow fans can experince that too. Oh and the three Mach Rider die hard fans as well.

And Ken is practically confirmed already.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
debunked.png

Surfing around, I found this. Note that Konami IS on the box, but the creator of this image forgot to list them. Microsoft is not present. These are some of those early download code-included Switch bundled boxes.

Would these need to have the final trademark/copyright information on the box in order to be distributed? If so, this completely debunks Steve/Banjo.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
With all the recent developments, I'm inclined to believe SOME of the characters in the leak are real and others are not, while the whole image is a fake. Which ones are in I'm not certain since they all have something going for them, but there's been a growing feeling of doubt within me over the last couple of days.
Uh, I'm a bit bored so I'll expand on @drag0nscythe's idea. List your top 5 favorite and least favorite characters in SSBU. Explanations are fine, but not needed.

Favorite: :ultlink::ultgreninja::ultlucario::ultmewtwo::ultsonic:

Least Favorite: :ultdaisy::ultpeach::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultwario: (this all could change)

What about you?
Favourite: :ultlucina::ultsonic::ultridley::ultsamus::ultmegaman:

Least Favourite: :ultroy::ultchrom::ultinkling::ultcorrin:(male):ulttoonlink:
I'm pretty sure this wasn't posted earlier, so here.

Mystic had more to say.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
There was a problem fetching the tweet
It's a full thread so make sure you read the whole thing, I just embedded what seemed most interesting to me.
Does...does that mean there's still a chance my dream Elma & KOS-MOS trailer could come true?

Last edited:

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Why don't you mind your business, chief.
In case you're too blind to see, the guy was spamming this **** across multiple pages.
Someone needed to call them out on it.
Whoa there, no need to be aggressive there. I know that you find him annoying, but don't be rude about it.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
One thing to keep in mind as well in terms of the, “anybody can move the characters” argument that it’s fake...

Are we thinking that Nintendo isn’t doing that already every time they add a character? How is that any different? It’s not like they have like 11-20 different paintings /drawings of the mural each with the exact same shapes and images reorganized over and over.

Of course people can move them around. That’s presumably how it was designed.

KMDP

Smash Legend
When you say it like that it sounds like hardcore fans are harder to please. ^^
Don't you know hardcore fans hate being pandered to? :p
When it comes to the background inconsistencies, I say who cares? It's literally the background. With a minimum of seven character additions, it's already pretty stuffed so you really can't see that much of it anyways. Reasonably, I can see it being simplified for this alone. If there were major character inconsistencies, THAT would be significant. I feel like analyzing the background is pretty nitpicky given there were never any truly notable details to begin with and, either way, they'd more than likely be obscured by the roster anyways, especially with the additions of Mach Rider (and her bike?), Chorus Kids, and Isaac taking up significant space on the ground.
There's also the possibility that they simplified the background for printing cost purposes? Like, it's fine when you're only printing one big banner for a convention, but when you have to print lots of them (for store fronts and conventions, and the like), that starts getting expensive.

Not to mention that more characters on the banner mean more colours, and more cost.

Untouch

Smash Master
View attachment 172260

Surfing around, I found this. Note that Konami IS on the box, but the creator of this image forgot to list them. Microsoft is not present. These are some of those early download code-included Switch bundled boxes.

Would these need to have the final trademark/copyright information on the box in order to be distributed? If so, this completely debunks Steve/Banjo.
That makes me wonder, they aren't selling the game IN this box as it's a download code, so would they need to add these copyrights on?

LoboRundas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoboRundas
3DS FC
4098-3496-0921
Switch FC
SW 6696 1795 2392
They don't have to list copyright for unrevealed characters/franchises, see: no Shigesato Itoi/APE credits in Smash 3DS box, but yes in the Smash WiiU box.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Y'all so as far as I can tell there are 4 options that could be happening
1. The first company we thought he worked for was working at was actually working on the banner in Nov. 2016 and this eric dude leaked it then and the video just leaked. 1% chance of this happening IMO, the company seemed genuinely concerned about their chances of working with Bandai Namco again after this so their is no way they were working with Bamco right now.
2. The real leaker does work at a company that is working with Illumination and Bamco and just quickly looked up an employee from a different company who could potentially have worked on this banner to impersonate them so he doesn't get in trouble.
3. Eric's new company does work with Bamco AND Illumination and he leaked it. Honestly this is the simplest explanation but also one of the more believable ones. The main reason I can think of is why hasn't the company put out a statement because if they aren't working with Bamco they wouldn't be under an NDA. However my main issues are that according to his education years Eric is like 50 as of now, and that seems like way past the age range to leak stuff on Snapchat with mispelled emoji's lmao. Also why does Eric still have a job if this is true
4. We all got played. The fake leaker plays 420d chess. Goku is in.
I agree with all of this as possibilities (the first I agree is very unlikely), and my suspicion is the guy actually might be being impersonated (whether it's fake to give it credibility, or real to shift the blame). That being said, I never understood this argument of him being too old--am I the only one who knows childish, not the brightest 50-year-olds, or the type of people who could be "fed up with this ****" type of guys? Really, only me? :rotfl:

(granted being on SC is different, but we don't know who took the video, and the person who leaked it was likely not the person working on it.)

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
View attachment 172260

Or-you know what I'm not even gonna waste my time on debunking this claim, it's literally grasping at straws.

Chrono.

View attachment 172260

Also deconfirms Isaac as Camelot would have to be listed.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Good morning folks, seems the Grinch lives, but his power may be weakening? From what I gather, a new box doesn't credit Rare...that is a big oof but also it can easily be changed, why would they put that on the concept box now?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Morning everyone. How's everyone...?

Oh, we're still arguing about the leak. Great.

Welp, let's hope this thing gets killed today, because I sure as heck don't want to spend a weekend arguing with passive-aggressive people who've dedicated hours of their time just to prove why they're right.
It wasn't till 10 days later after esrb first surfaces till the verdict came in this could be the same case give or take 3 to 5 days

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Good morning folks, seems the Grinch lives, but his power may be weakening? From what I gather, a new box doesn't credit Rare...that is a big oof but also it can easily be changed, why would they put that on the concept box now?
It's not a concept, there are pictures of it from stores that got their shipment

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
So...is it a bad time for me to say I still have huge confidence in this being legit?

(If it’s fake then I’ll be disappointed but impressed by all the troubles.)

Flon

Smash Cadet
Also deconfirms Isaac as Camelot would have to be listed.
Though, if I recall correctly Isaac was present in Brawl which contained no Camelot copyright on the box or title screen. Just because he wasn't playable doesn't mean the copyright doesn't apply.

I suppose if Isaac was present it could be listed under Nintendo as they are the publisher.

Last edited:

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
I have to say i find it very unlikely to believe Microsoft/Rare would be okay with being excluded from the copyright list.

CantGetRidOfTheRidley

Smash Apprentice
If Nintendo had to put the copyrights for every unrevealed third/second party for a Smash, they would be unable to have secret characters from these companies. They can add the copyrights when it's appropriate. The box tells us literally nothing.

D

Deleted member

If you're talking about the recently posted bundle box, that **** is releasing in like, less than two weeks, I don't think that's a concept box lmao

So now this **** gets even more confusing. This week overall has been confusing, Smash aside, too.

KMDP

Smash Legend
They don't have to list copyright for unrevealed characters/franchises, see: no Shigesato Itoi/APE credits in Smash 3DS box, but yes in the Smash WiiU box.
Speaking of this...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the copyrights and voice actor credits for characters you haven't unlocked yet not even appear in the credits until you've unlocked them?

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
If Nintendo had to put the copyrights for every unrevealed third/second party for a Smash, they would be unable to have secret characters from these companies. They can add the copyrights when it's appropriate. The box tells us literally nothing.
But every character for Ultimate is going to be revealed before release. Kind of a moot point.

Marxally

Smash Apprentice
Neither is Square Enix in both versions. As long as the title screen and credits have the copyright names, seems fine.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
It's not a concept, there are pictures of it from stores that got their shipment
Just saw that.

Yeah that has me leaning heavily towards team fake now since it's a REAL box...obviously if the new boxes had those copyrights, we'd all be jumping all over it as proof of the Grinch...and since there's not, we're trying to rationalize it...

The ONLY thing I can think of is that box only reflects the information we know that has been revealed up until when those boxes are supposed to be out "in the wild," so to speak. The actual Ultimate boxes could be updated but...that's a stretch.

brb gonna go contemplate my life, which is a lie now

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Neither is Square Enix in both versions. As long as the title screen and credits have the copyright names, seems fine.
Cloud was DLC, Banjo is supposed to be in the base roster

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
View attachment 172260

No, not at all.

Shigesato Itoi and APE Inc. aren't mentioned here because Ness is unlockable.

On the Wii U version, they are there because Ness is there from the start.

Last edited:

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Can we just offically stop trying to debunk it and just wait a while until it actually gets confirmed/deconfirmed. Every attempt failed and it's gonna continue failing until something happens.

D

Deleted member

That's a weird thing but I'd bet the companies involved agreed on it.

EDIT: no only was I ninja'd hard, my image broke

Last edited by a moderator:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
From what I've seen, it looks like nothing has changed to make it weakened (I don't know the concept box you're referring to). Last night, Mystic backtracked, saying now they're not as certain the leak is as definitive, that Incineroar's in and some characters maybe right, and one unique trailer would feature 2 characters. It was quite a lot, though backtracking immediately makes me call their credibility into question (heads up insiders, double and triple check before posting on Twitter) and what they're saying, if true, just makes the situation a whole lot weirder.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Though, Isaac was present in Brawl which contained no Camelot copyright on the box or title screen. Just because he wasn't playable doesn't mean the copyright doesn't apply.

Since Nintendo published the games it could easily be under Nintendo.
I think Nintendo only does that for playable characters. Assist Trophies like Shovel Knight probably aren't credited.

I don't know where I stand on this. On one hand, if every character is getting revealed before release, then I see no reason why Camelot and Rare would be excluded. On the other, maybe they left them off because we're so close to release. Hard to say.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom