• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Untouch

Smash Master

I'll post this again and again until the "effort means its automatically real" argument isn't used anymore.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I mean, that leak isn't better, it's supposedly a random Snapchat yet we can't find the source of the guy who leaked it, as in like, Snapchat acount or whatnot.
It just popped up-

What's important is like...The story AROUND it.
Yeah that's my point chief

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So forgive me if i’m missing something but this is bothering me.

I’ve been thinking about this pretty much all day, and I can’t really come up with a good answer. It’s in regards to the different backgrounds that vaanrose vaanrose came across.

We’ve identified that there are discrepancies between them, that can’t really be denied regardless of whether or not it’s blurry. My question is this. If you’re this leaker and you’re making a fake, and you had access to all of the renders from the official mural, wanting it to be as close to authentic as possible, why would you create a different background like that, with such...odd differences?

Like am I crazy? I’m not even really sure what I’m asking. Like I guess what i’m thinking is that for a faker to make those changes to the background...like, why? Would it be more harmful to the leak itself for the backgrounds to exactly match? I’m probably overthinking it but I just can’t really put my finger on it.

Otherwise, I just don’t get why a leaker would make those smaller, barely noticeable changes if he’s going for accuracy. Wouldn’t he logically go for the available image/art of the background?

Also, great job to everybody with their investigative skills. This has been an extremely entertaining day or two seeing how stuff is showing up and either shot down or strengthened. Like wow!

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
You know, the last time I thought there was no way someone could make a leak this good and thorough, that nobody could have possibly spent all this time making this, and having video footage on top of that, it featured this Frenchman.
View attachment 172068
Needless to say, I have learned to never, ever put so much stock into another leak ever again.
For all we know, this could all be real and Sakurai is going to make this already perfect roster even more spectacular.

If it's fake, though....
Oh, boy.
You thought that the reactions to the Rayman leak were bad? All the whining, crying, and death threats sent to Artsy Omni?
I don't even want to imagine how the Smash community will react to this leak potentially being fake. It's going to be a war zone of insults and death threats.
Oddly enough, Artsy Omni is one of the few thinking it's possible it's real, but he wouldn't be surprised if it's fake. It's just hard to tell given the little detail we do have--it makes sense in a fake leak (though elaborately staged), and makes sense in a real leak (accidental SC video). It's what makes it so frustrating either way.

Solmatter

Smash Cadet
So yeah I just wanted to share this outline someone did of shadow. I say the person did a good job defining what shadow pose could be. Even though tbh I’m not feelin this pose at all.
Can we get one of these for Isaac, anybody? I'm absolutely convinced that he's not anatomically correct.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

I’ve been thinking about this pretty much all day, and I can’t really come up with a good answer. It’s in regards to the different backgrounds that vaanrose vaanrose came across.

We’ve identified that there are discrepancies between them, that can’t really be denied regardless of whether or not it’s blurry. My question is this. If you’re this leaker and you’re making a fake, and you had access to all of the renders from the official mural, wanting it to be as close to authentic as possible, why would you create a different background like that, with such...odd differences?

Like am I crazy? I’m not even really sure what I’m asking. Like I guess what i’m thinking is that for a faker to make those changes to the background...like, why? Would it be more harmful to the leak itself for the backgrounds to exactly match? I’m probably overthinking it but I just can’t really put my finger on it.

Otherwise, I just don’t get why a leaker would make those smaller, barely noticeable changes if he’s going for accuracy. Wouldn’t he logically go for the available image/art of the background?

Also, great job to everybody with their investigative skills. This has been an extremely entertaining day or two seeing how stuff is showing up and either shot down or strengthened. Like wow!
To see us squirm perhaps

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
Damn, normally I try to champion skepticism towards claims of GS references (like with Rathalos and whatnot) but that really does look like the Growth Sprout. Plus the translucent orb would fit with its origin of being a magic-based attack.

Of course it is just a sprout, which still makes it rather vague, but there are interesting parallels.
Im starting to wonder about that green vine looking sprout beneath Isaac in the leak...Could that be referencing his psynergy attacks or possibly the sprout item that we are assuming is from Ever Oasis or Golden Sun? (I never played the games so im just guessing) We already know Mr. Saturn is in the mural so other items wouldnt be farfectched.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master

There isn't any available art, that's why he needed to remake it from scratch.
The closest thing we have is the E3 footage, but it's blurry and angled.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
. My question is this. If you’re this leaker and you’re making a fake, and you had access to all of the renders from the official mural, wanting it to be as close to authentic as possible, why would you create a different background like that, with such...odd differences?
I mean, like, half people in this thread didn't know that we saw an Empty Battlefield at all until Vanroose showed the E3 floor one from videos.
So, that faker leaker supposedly didn't know this either.

Rigumaro

Smash Apprentice
You're misunderstanding the point of my post. This supports it being real more than anything else. If this is fake, the leaker had to have had the same idea as Nintendo to use the empty mural background for promotional material without actually having known they had done so in the past (or else they would have had a reference to recreate the background perfectly).

It's not a completely impossible notion that they came up with that idea that turned out to be accurate by pure chance, but it does put an additional level of strain on the counterpoint of the background being different to the one saw at E3, which is currently one of the stronger counterpoints.
Oh sorry, my bad then. I thought your point was "it makes no sense that the leaker has a blank background", and that you were using it to prove it was fake.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I think it's a very fair question then why they would modify the background if most of it was to be covered then. However, if we assume this is real then they intend to use the empty background for promotional images again which would somewhat explain it. Seems odd to make composition changes for that, but I've seen games make smaller more obscure tweaks for aesthetic in the past.

I'm still very hung up on the fact that the background being a fake in turn implies he had a lucky guess that the empty battlefield would be on promotional material without knowing that it had been done in the past, but I don't know if that's just me. Using the empty background seems like a weird idea to me in general, and I at the very least would not have considered it to be a "safe" guess.
Currently, the empty background hasn't been used on its own, but as part of an animation where the banner fills up with the various characters. The video that the empty banner is taken from features only a few frames before the characters are on it again. What the leak is suggesting is that the empty banner would be used on printed promotional materials, which is something we haven't seen yet.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914

Ngl I'd main the **** out of Mallow

:troll:

obvious joke is obvious I know don't kill me
I either never saw or forgot who Mallow was, Pokemon wise, and when I saw some Pokemon fans talking about Mallow being hot or whatever I was.... confused.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

That's basically what I was trying to insinuate earlier.
I was thinking that, save for trying to **** with everyone or not actually using the reference for the background (which iirc he just didn't have), it'd be something they would be able to paint over to fix like various other things they've fixed.

But it's really not something I would feel good about putting up as a suggestion.

If this is fake, the dude is pretty nuts, and it could very well just be a social engineering tactic.
People are going to find such blatant flaws, and point it out, and people are going to defend it otherwise, and all they have to do is sit back and watch people defend his obvious "lie".

Were it to be fake.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
I have a huge question.
Why does the Wendy's Tailgate trailer blatantly use footage from stuff that isn't from the playable demo it's promoting.

:smash:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Can we get one of these for Isaac, anybody? I'm absolutely convinced that he's not anatomically correct.
The problem with trying to outline these though is it's so blurry, that a lot of what it looks like will be up to the outliner's interpretation in all the fuzzy spots. It can be nice to see (I'd like one for Banjo), but it isn't any more helpful than what we can see by eye.

Cheesehead302

Smash Rookie
Finally decided to make an account here, and I plan to spend the next two weeks until the supposed Nintendo Direct happens living on this thread.

Okay, actually in regards to the leak: I don't know if this has been posted yet, but Artsy Omni did a quick live stream comparing the Battlefield backgrounds of the leak. I know this has been brought up, but his video puts into perspective that pretty much every inconsistency in the background is in a spot that would have been obscured by characters, making it so the creator would have had to guess provided this leak is fake. To be honest, his video has shifted me more towards Team Fake just because he obviously knows what he's talking about when it comes to anything art related. Here's the video if you're curious, I'd say it's worth watching whether you already know about the differences between the backgrounds or not.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
You can literally see Greninja's webbed foot hovering above no shadow at all in those close-ups from Van's post. If that's from offical art, then this shadow stuff is even more bunk

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
You know, the last time I thought there was no way someone could make a leak this good and thorough, that nobody could have possibly spent all this time making this, and having video footage on top of that, it featured this Frenchman.
View attachment 172068
Needless to say, I have learned to never, ever put so much stock into another leak ever again.
For all we know, this could all be real and Sakurai is going to make this already perfect roster even more spectacular.

If it's fake, though....
Oh, boy.
You thought that the reactions to the Rayman leak were bad? All the whining, crying, and death threats sent to Artsy Omni?
I don't even want to imagine how the Smash community will react to this leak potentially being fake. It's going to be a war zone of insults and death threats.
And they're going to know exactly who to go after, as if the lawsuits weren't enough...

KMDP

Smash Legend
Wow hey look I made a typo and I'm not gonna fix it because he's going to the super haircut bowl now
All in good fun.

Some of the best mental images come from the most innocuous typos. XD
As an Isaac nut I can assure you, there's no pose of him petting a Djinn like that out in the wild. Lots of him hugging one though
I bet it looks adorable.
You can literally see Greninja's webbed foot hovering above no shadow at all in those close-ups from Van's post. If that's from offical art, then this shadow stuff is even more bunk
Huh. Whaddaya know.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Vaan brings up a great point.

Why would the marketing firm be in charge of organizing the banner? That would lead to discrepancies among promotional material.

Why would a print shop be in charge of graphic design for the company? Unless I'm missing something, this is a huge hole.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
Yuck I'm not really feeling that pose either, but I'm not complaining if my boy is in. I'll take what I can get.

They better not **** up the amiibo pose though
It’s shadow’s leg it seem so..awkward looking lol Yea I hope the amiibo pose for shadow don’t look this awkward I would be disappointed :/

Whia

Smash Apprentice

This is something I've been thinking about as well.

If fake, the leaker did a superb job with so many minute details, but then botched a small handful of other minute details. The "fakery" is inconsistent, but given the outstanding quality of most of it, that inconsistency is itself an inconsistency.

It's definitely odd.

SuperSmashLover

Smash Cadet
I'll also agree with this. There are some who think they are in the right and have intentionally noble gestures but end up being just as bad as the people they're trying to fight.

To make this relevant? Still waiting on where the info about Eric being 50 came from.
The LinkedIn accounts belonging to Eric state that he graduated from college in the mid 80's-1990 exactly. Assuming he was never held back in school growing up, that should reasonably put him between 55-60 years old.

cothero

Smash Lord
Even if the leak is fake, i won't be disappointed, tbh. I'm sure Sakurai is saving the best for last and box theory is pretty dead for me by now. but if this leak is real, then HOLY **** what a ****ing beautiful game.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

Why would the marketing firm be in charge of organizing the banner? That would lead to discrepancies among promotional material.

Why would a print shop be in charge of graphic design for the company? Unless I'm missing something, this is a huge hole.
There's huge holes regardless if you're on Team Fake or Team Real. Team Maybe's got the least holes. :chuckle:

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511

It depends on what the exact printing method used is. Sometimes things are printed in separate physical layers and then stuck together, something sometimes done with vinyl before it's sealed in a sort of lacquer. I'm not the biggest into printing, given that my only experience comes from some tabletop stuff, but I do know that there are some methods where things are printed as separate objects and then affixed, typically if it's large, made in low quantities, or is supposed to be a very durable material.

But I have no clue if that's what this is or not.

And again, I'm no expert, that's just what I know firsthand.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Im starting to wonder about that green vine looking sprout beneath Isaac in the leak...Could that be referencing his psynergy attacks or possibly the sprout item that we are assuming is from Ever Oasis or Golden Sun? (I never played the games so im just guessing)
If it really is from Golden Sun I suppose it could be referencing that, though the portraits referencing anything outside the moveset doesn't seem likely. But Mr. Saturn is there, so who knows. Though that does seem to be invoking Olimar's new grab.

But if the item isn't from Golden Sun they almost definitely are unrelated. Speaking of, is there a comparable looking sprout in Ever Oasis? Haven't played that game.

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman
it's funny watching this unfold from three different perspectives.

most on 4chan are convinced its real, mainly because of the based boomer picks and the fact it would BTFO vergeben, steve and incineroar.
as we can see here, smashboards is mostly undecided and still broiled in constant debate over it
GameFAQs is vergeben's headquarters, so obviously most people there believe him and are against any and all leaks

it is a true battle between hope and despair. I unironically think this leak is gonna become The Tragedy if it's revealed to be fake. the amount of despair that would wash over the world from one single direct or an official announcement is unparalleled.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom