• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Lord. Seeing some of you people acting like that just a little bit ago reminded me just why I've left this place. Why I've grown to hate this fandom. Why I've come to preferring the toxicity of other fandoms with seemingly no end in sight to dealing with this fandom's toxicity for more than five minutes.

Granted, that's to be expected from a fandom about a crossover as big as this. Numerous people from numerous other fandoms with numerous ideologies are bound to result in some sort of dynamic, yet toxic clash. But what I've just seen? That wasn't just bad. That was about one of the most toxic things I've ever witnessed. It almost made me wonder if I was on a website about some video game, or if I was in the darkest pit of hell.

Numerous people from both ends were acting head*** and hypocritical as hell. I'm not going to point out names, mostly because it'd probably take all day. But those people really need to learn to get off their high horse and quit acting like brats over something like this. Quit pretending their side is the only right side and defend it to the grave. And I understand hypocrisy is a nigh (if not then definitely) unavoidable flaw of human nature, but with a lot of the stuff that goes around here, I can only say that I'm disturbing astonished. You people say "don't do x or y!!!" but then you do x and y anyways, and usually to a bigger extreme than when you complain about it. Nevermind the fact you never admit that you were wrong or hypocritical.

Anyways, for those who weren't being toxic, sorry you had to see that drama. For those who were, well, you might not even recognize who you are, and I'd be shocked if you did, but you need to stop being so damn toxic. Even when I was at my most toxic, I'd probably be acting better than what you were.

Anyways, I'm going away again. Likely for good, at least until some people start shaping up.

:094:
That was about one of the most toxic things I've ever witnessed. It almost made me wonder if I was on a website about some video game, or if I was in the darkest pit of hell.
You sure you're not the one taking this too seriously? You're talking about a forum where the majority of users are likely under 18 and everyone falls for contrarianism bait. This is the same group of people who ignored legitimate information for a solid 7 months because of SHADOWS. I mean, yeah, I was part of it, but I was also 15. I don't think any legitimate arguments can really come from a kid whose mind floats between Nintendo games and junior girls every waking moment of the day.
Mfw people come out of nowhere and post either edgy or random things about how the discussion or topics are dumb:
View attachment 169186
Not only is that foolish because, let’s face it, it’s an Internet forum for a video game, but it just doesn’t contribute anything. Like, if something bothers you and you want to do something about it/change it, the solution is not to tell people they’re dumb or that you don’t like them as a community. That just makes it worse.

Do I think some things are a tad crazy? Ye. I do. But me saying, “Bruh why you post that!?” Isn’t going to change it.

We’ve got about a month and a half left of this nonsense, and even less until we firmly know the final roster. We’ll probably know the base roster within 2 weeks (imo), so once that’s over with it’ll only be a matter of time until DLC talk ramps up.

Maybe it’s because last time I was big into speculation, I was a freshman/sophomore in college. Now I have a full time job, so I don’t have as much time. But when things got boring, you find other things to do to take up the time.

Today, i’ve read pages of comments that consist of, “PLZ I NEED A DIRECT”. No, you don’t need a Direct right this instant, you need something to distract you from wanting a Direct right this instant. That’s the only thing that is in your control.

Read a book. Play and beat a game in your backlog. Do homework. Write a fanfic. Or take a walk. Do something that will make your mind go elsewhere, and I promise you it will get easier.

Granted I also am constantly doing crap that I don’t necessarily always want to do, but that also helps. Like I can’t even believe we’re about a month and a half away. It seems like yesterday was the August Direct, yet it’s been so long.
Yeah, actually, do homework, interact with other living people, do something constructive before you end up completely unprepared for life. That's 10 times more important than making another Smash roster prediction. Learned that the hard way. :ohwell:

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
With these leaks on 4Chan, where most are listed as Anonymous...

Anyone think some of the so called "leakers" actually post more than one leak at different times, making it multiple leaks per leaker, or some leakers, that is?

Roberk

Smash Champion
Imma stick to my guns: we're getting a Direct soon.

June 12th: E3 Direct
About 2 months later, August 8th: 8.8 Direct

Disclaimer: Damn Isabelle though, I really don't care about her inclusion but when it comes to speculation she throws a real wrench into things which just makes this more complicated. IDK if the Isabelle announcement in mid-September (that was planned for early September btw) really counts in this Direct announcement pattern, because if it does then there is no pattern at all.

Going by the pattern of major announcements every two months, we should be getting a Direct very soon. I think it just makes sense within a vacuum as well: Sakurai said that we'd
A. Know the roster by launch and
B. Get info about the Spirits mode "soon".
I believe that if the marketing team for this game is competent (which it is, it's Smash), then they'd get everything over with announcement-wise this month so that the entire game and all of its draws when it comes to characters and modes can be advertised up till the release date. We're nearing the holiday season, marketing for Nintendo's biggest game of this season, of this year, will only increase.

NineS

Smash Lord

Anyone think some of the so called "leakers" actually post more than one leak at different times, making it multiple leaks per leaker, or some leakers, that is?
Definitely think there's some leakers posting multiple leaks on 4chan. And probably some leakers riding off of another anon's leak, claiming it as their own to try to give their own leak credibility.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Definitely think there's some leakers posting multiple leaks on 4chan. And probably some leakers riding off of another anon's leak, claiming it as their own to try to give their own leak credibility.
You know what I say to that? Not cool.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Maybe, which I guess doesn't change how most of these "leaks" are full of crud anyway. That could explain why they happen to be so frequent, but I wonder what would be the point in doing this in the first place.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Maybe, which I guess doesn't change how most of these "leaks" are full of crud anyway. That could explain why they happen to be so frequent, but I wonder what would be the point in doing this in the first place.
Probably just to get attention, and I think that is a poor way of getting attention.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
And yeah, maybe this is about how people reacted to music theory being killed.

I'm sorry, but all Music Theory did was try to say that Vergeben was full of ****(which he still very will may be, but not because of Music Theory)

If I seem happy because Music Theory is dead, I'm not happy because all the people who believed it got proven wrong.

I'm happy because a HYPER restrictive theory that put a chokehold on speculation and basically spelled doom and gloom to series that had extremely popular newcomer picks was flat out murdered.

So yeah. Am I happy Music Theory's dead? Yes, because it gives room to speculate again without feeling restrained.
As someone who spent a lot of time in the Elma thread where this so-called "music theory" originated the frustrating part was seeing it warped into something it wasn't when the original hypothesis was "there has been no Xenoblade content which means that, since they saved new tracks for other newcomers, it's possible they're saving a new Xenoblade song for a rep from that series".

Then yknow, things just snowballed.

NineS

Smash Lord
My guess is their 5 minutes of fame, for the false ones that is. Being 99.9% of them. Then again, that wouldn't make sense since they're all "Anonymous", and no one really knows who leaked, just that it was some 4channer.

Shroob

Sup?
At this point, the only leak I'm willing to put a 95% stock into is the Ken leak, and mostly because neither vaanrose nor artsyomni can debunk it, and pointing out reasons as to 'why' it's probably legit.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Liiiiike what do people think Spirits is? Story Mode? Smash Run Deluxe? Board game thing no one seems to like? This thing is probably the thing I'm most curious about right now, lol.
I'm feeling it will be similar to Melee's Adventure Mode, just more fleshed out in scope. I'm thinking alternate paths that lead to completely different boss fights ala Castlevania and the like, where each level is based on a different property, and the boss at the end will be one tied to said property (i.e., Petey Pirahna for Mario series, Lord Frederik for DK series, Kraid for Metroid, etc.).

I'd love a fleshed out story mode with cutscenes like SSE, but I don't think we'll be seeing that, given with 70+ known characters in the game, trying to make a cohesive story would be a narrative nightmare. I'd still love to see some kind of interactions between them if possible though, even if it isn't tied directly to the new Spirits Mode and lies elsewhere, as I really loved that about SSE more than anything else.

I think Smash Run could make a return, but I don't see it being part of Spirits Mode unless it somehow allows for co-op. Of course, now that I mention that, a four-player co-op option for Spirits Mode sounds amazing, especially if it could work with both local and online. Imagine taking on Dracula or Rathalos with a full four-person party! :love:

I'm probably looking forward to it the most out of everything we don't know about yet honestly. Of course, knowing what other modes will be in the game to accompany it would be grand too. :)

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yeah, I definitely agree none of these theories matter in the grand scheme of things. I'm pretty much at a point where I'm tired talkin' about 'em and would prefer to focus discussion on other things.

Liiiiike what do people think Spirits is? Story Mode? Smash Run Deluxe? Board game thing no one seems to like? This thing is probably the thing I'm most curious about right now, lol.
An adventure/story mode while Smash Run stays as it’s own mode

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Okay I've been gone from here for about a week now. Can anyone summarized what happened over the last week?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Okay I've been gone from here for about a week now. Can anyone summarized what happened over the last week?
Music theory got deconfirmed is one thing. Also, some updates on the Blog, and another Fire Emblem track was posted on the site.

Last edited:

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Why do people try to “leak” **** anyway? They’re all awful, and do nothing except give people some short-lived 5 minutes of fame that goes nowhere is it goes viral in this, small, pitiful community. People have too much time on their hands.

All these theories do nothing. There’s nothing to speculate.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I'm feeling it will be similar to Melee's Adventure Mode, just more fleshed out in scope. I'm thinking alternate paths that lead to completely different boss fights ala Castlevania and the like, where each level based on a different property, and the boss at the end will be one tied to said property (i.e., Petey Pirahna for Mario series, Lord Frederik for DK series, Kraid for Metroid, etc.).

I'd love a fleshed out story mode with cutscenes like SSE, but I don't think we'll be seeing that, given with 70+ known characters in the game, trying to make a cohesive story would be a narrative nightmare. I'd still love to see some kind of interactions between them if possible though, even if it isn't tied directly to the new Spirits Mode and lies elsewhere, as I really loved that about SSE more than anything else.

I think Smash Run could make a return, but I don't see it being part of Spirits Mode unless it somehow allows for co-op. Of course, now that I mention that, a four-player co-op option for Spirits Mode sounds amazing, especially if it could work with both local and online. Imagine taking on Dracula or Rathalos with a full four-person party! :love:

I'm probably looking forward to it the most out of everything we don't know about yet honestly. Of course, knowing what other modes will be in the game to accompany it would be grand too. :)
Your Spirits Mode bit makes me wonder: if you could make an RPG party out of 4 characters we have, what would you decide? I would go for :ultlink::ultmarth::ultshulk::ultcloud: (swords bias, and photo bias).

D

Deleted member

At this point, the only leak I'm willing to put a 95% stock into is the Ken leak, and mostly because neither vaanrose nor artsyomni can debunk it, and pointing out reasons as to 'why' it's probably legit.
Honestly, if it does turn out to be fake, it's probably the most dang impressive fake ever made. It even gets graphical glitches from the demo down perfectly.

I think it's real. I may not like Ken, but I like to look on the bright side of things: His theme song is cool, and him being playable means more remixes of it than ever.

Plus, it's just a character in a video game. I can just choose to not play as him if I don't like him, lol. :p

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Spirits Mode is Luigi's Mansion except you have to save everyone from the big bad boss in each level, levels being based on an existing franchise.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Just some people saying Master Chief, or Doomguy are going to be in Smash. Oh, and we talked about the possibilities of Lara Croft getting in smash.
We also got some other pretty poor leaks, some old one with Geno's victory theme turning out false.
I feel like Lara has a decent shot at being Verge's second Square rep. Better than someone like Geno lol

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Spirits Mode is Luigi's Mansion except you have to save everyone from the big bad boss in each level, levels being based on an existing franchise.
But...that would mean :ultpit::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultrobin:ultchrom::ultroy::ultike::ultcorrin::ultsonic::ultsnake::ultshulk:and so on would have to be dead

D

Deleted member

If Spirits Mode is gonna be Melee's Adventure Mode, but fleshed out, it better iron out all of the problems Melee's Adventure Mode had. While, there isn't a lot of them, there are a few weird choices as you go further into the mode.

Some stages had a lengthy build-up before some battles, like the Mushroom Kingdom stage, Underground Maze, etc. Though, there are some stages that just throw you into something without any build-up. This is mainly where my only gripes are with the mode, other than that, if Spirits expands upon this and fixes the problems, I'll be a happy camper.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I'm starting to think that my alarm clock is giving me PTSD.
While you're all arguing about an extremely gorey guy with energy weapons getting in vs. a relatively normal ungorey guy with realistic weapons

I'm over here waiting for the real big announcements. Calling it now.

what could PAWssibly go wrong?
"Cat you waitin' huh?"
I'd love that, honestly.

You go around as one of the original 8 and catch the spirits of bosses in order to free characters from paintings.

Or maybe you capture the spirits of characters in order to play as them.

It won't happen, but it'd be pretty cool.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If Spirits Mode is gonna be Melee's Adventure Mode, but fleshed out, it better iron out all of the problems Melee's Adventure Mode had. While, there isn't a lot of them, there are a few weird choices as you go further into the mode.

Some stages had a lengthy build-up before some battles, like the Mushroom Kingdom stage, Underground Maze, etc. Though, there are some stages that just throw you into something without any build-up. This is mainly where my only gripes are with the mode, other than that, if Spirits expands upon this and fixes the problems, I'll be a happy camper.
I'm personally expecting it to be a hybrid of Adventure and SSE honestly.

D

Deleted member

I'm feeling it will be similar to Melee's Adventure Mode, just more fleshed out in scope. I'm thinking alternate paths that lead to completely different boss fights ala Castlevania and the like, where each level is based on a different property, and the boss at the end will be one tied to said property (i.e., Petey Pirahna for Mario series, Lord Frederik for DK series, Kraid for Metroid, etc.).

Man, that sounds awesome! I would love to see Smash get fun online coop. Splatoon 2's Salmon Run is amazing, so I can only imagine how much fun a boss rush or some form of online Smash Run would be. Here's hoping!

As for what I think it'll be, I'm kinda with you. I feel like there'll also be some story bits as well, and they'll change depending on who you're playing as. While I doubt the mode will have cool CG cutscenes like Brawl, I wouldn't count ingame cutscenes out yet. I could easily see them do textbox scenes similar to Mario Tennis Aces.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
He's talking about less of Lara having a better shot, and more of Lara being a better character.
Nah, she does have a better shot.
Can you explain why you think Lara has a better shot than Geno?
Because he's a Z tier character who appeared in one game plus had a costume in Smash 4, it didn't come out in Europe on it's first release, and he's just the definition of "who?"

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'd love a fleshed out story mode with cutscenes like SSE, but I don't think we'll be seeing that, given with 70+ known characters in the game, trying to make a cohesive story would be a narrative nightmare.
You do realize it doesn't have to have all the characters right? I mean SSE didn't have Jigglypuff, Toon Link and Wolf as part of the story after all.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
You do realize it doesn't have to have all the characters in Spirits. I mean SSE didn't have Jigglypuff, Toon Link and Wolf as part of the story after all.
That's because those three (plus Sonic, who was awkwardly shoehorned at the very end) were last minute additions. And I mean VERY last minute...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
That's because those three (plus Sonic, who was awkwardly shoehorned at the very end) were last minute additions. And I mean VERY last minute...
They weren't though. They weren't seen at the end of the SSE with among all the characters when you face Tabuu and were simply there as ways to unlock them, other then that they had no part in the story.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Rey Mysterio is in WWE full time now for SmackDown Live and the Music Theory is sadly dead
So how long do you expect him to last before another knee surgery?

I really hope that the Adventure mode is an improvement of Melee's version

Shroob

Sup?
They weren't though. They weren't seen at the end of the SSE when you face Tabuu and were simply there as ways to unlock them, other then that they had no part in the story.
Jiggs. Toon Link and Wolf are last minute additions to Brawl, like, soo last minute that they didn't even put them in SSE cutscenes.

They almost didn't make it into the game.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Better than someone like Geno lol
I had to make this.

Geno (triggered).png

(I'm not serious lol)

Because he's a Z tier character who appeared in one game plus had a costume in Smash 4, it didn't come out in Europe on it's first release, and he's just the definition of "who?"
Sakurai does want him though, even tried getting him in Brawl, and the Mii Costume came after the ballot so it could've been due to fan requests, Sakurai even mentioning that he get's a lot of requests when it comes to old characters.

I'd expect him to come with Lara or anyone else from Square if he doesn't come alone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom