• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Incineroar is still relevant in the anime(It's showing up as the main Pokemon of next week's episode suspiciously enough), and Ash's Torracat will evolve any day yet.

That is interesting... someone on some forum mentioned theres suppose to be a Let's Go trailer next week.

i'm not sure how true that is as i havent followed the let's go trailers super closely so im unsure if this is actually announced, just a rumor, or they've spaced out the trailers in such a way that next week seems likely to have one...

anyway with an incineroar episode, the possibility of new smash content getting announced soon (the video updates and the "new" mark leaving the characters page tab on the website), and maybe a Let's Go trailer i do think its pretty likely incineroar could be announced next week.

I'd assume ken might be in that reveal as well... either way i'd have to assume if we get incineroar next week then we must have more than ken/incineroar base roster as i dont see them revealing the final base roster this early (and possibly in a non-smash focused direct) OR if we get only incineroar revealed next week that would leave "just ken" as a single echo fighter for the final reveal and i dont see that happening.

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
I think Incineroar, if he's actually in, would be arguably one of the more unique characters this time, frankly.

Smash has gone on for 20 years now without a "Dedicated Wrestler" character, while most fighting games have one from the start, like Zangief.

We've been sorely missing this archetype for a long, long time.
Huh, I’ve never knew that we were missing a wrestler...

I remember a time when people played Super Smash Bros for the representation of the characters and didn't even notice when they borrowed moves from other fighters.
:ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultness:
The good old days...

Noipoi

Howdy!
You guys need to stop crapping on Incineroar.

Seriously stop it.

No really stop! Your hate is making him too strong!

HE'S OUT OF CONTROL!

STOP IT!

STO-

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I agree. SMB3 is not that great. I'm not sorry, I just don't get its legacy outside of the McDonald toys and The Wizard promotion. I played it 2-3 years ago and found it blegh...

God, so many posts worth replying to, I can't keep up.
Alright chief, this is a pretty wild take, to be honest, and to put it lightly.

SMB3 is a phenomenal game and it's done a massive amount for the series and the industry. The concepts and things it started are fantastic and hold up extremely well today, especially for the NES. There's a very good reason it's been ported to so many consoles. From a technical standpoint it pushed the NES to it's limits from things like simultaneous vertical/horizontal scrolling and additional ROM space.

From a design standpoint the game does a fantastic job of introducing you to it's new mechanics and skills with the Leaf, then gradually mixing it up with new mechanics and stage gimmicks (autoscrolling, fortresses, overworld bosses, etc) and having a massive amount of little setpieces like the Sun or Kuribo's Shoe.

At the end of the day, it's certainly fair to not like it but it did a ton for both it's series and the industry as a whole.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
He could.
The question is, will he really?

You call him a heel wrestler, but how do you convey that in a fighting video game?
In real life a heel would cheat, trash-talk, and use outside items, but you can't really do that in a fighting game outside of something like demeaning taunts.
I mean hell, canonically, his dirtiest attack is probably just throat chop.

In short: Machamp shoulda been Mr. Wrestler:

Cannot think of a single thing Incineroar would do compared to Machamp. He even has a goddamn lariat.
There actually is a way to convey being a heel in Smash. It's actually something I thought of for my Waluigi moveset. :p

Have Incineroar get a small power boost if he taunts after KO-ing an opponent, or when he gets a crowd cheer.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
He could.
The question is, will he really?

You call him a heel wrestler, but how do you convey that in a fighting video game?
In real life a heel would cheat, trash-talk, and use outside items, but you can't really do that in a fighting game outside of something like demeaning taunts.
I mean hell, canonically, his dirtiest attack is probably just throat chop.

In short: Machamp shoulda been Mr. Wrestler:

Cannot think of a single thing Incineroar would do compared to Machamp. He even has a goddamn lariat.
Incineroar can spew flames out of it's **** and turn the flames into a chair and whack people with it
We have a dog that fights with a duck and a third party shooter. If you have an issue with diversity, you need to go away. :ultduckhunt:
That's not really disregarding the fact all 7 characters from Fire Emblem have the same goddamn Up Air

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
There actually is a way to convey being a heel in Smash. It's actually something I thought of for my Waluigi moveset. :p

Have Incineroar get a small power boost if he taunts after KO-ing an opponent, or when he gets a crowd cheer.
That's an interesting concept.

It actually sounds a lot like the moxie ability in Pokemon games, which Incineroar doesn't have for some reason.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Isn't this what the Hitagi guy said?
It's eerily similar to what Hitagi said, yes.

Without knowing the specs though, it's hard to know whether they were right or not though.

Either way I kinda hope that doesn't happen because I don't want to have to buy another Switch model if I want the best experience.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I'm gonna get mucho mucho hate for this but

Decidueye's design is cool, but when it comes to diversity in movesets, Smash isn't lacking in 'Archers', while it doesn't have a single wrestler.
See, this makes no sense to me.

How many arrow attacks are in Smash right now? Pit, Dark Pit, Link... Zelda's final smash?

Now... how many wrestling-like moves exist in the game right now?
- Ganondorf's choke grab
- Kirby's grabs
- Charizard's Seismic Toss
- K. Rool's up (?) throw
- Ridley dragging the enemy across the floor
- Bowser's side B

Is there something a wrestler would do that I'm not covering? Darkest Lariat could function exactly as Ryu's side B... Fire Spin? Ridley's fireball attack. Smashing down on the stage with a body slam? Same as all the butt pounds. Crotch kick or chair smack? sure, but would they be functionally different from a smash attack/stun attack/grounding attack?

I really would like someone to explain to me what we're missing from wrestling that we don't have yet. Only think I can think of is giving Incineroar intimidate so that it gives debuffs to enemies with certain moves, or zoning by setting certain areas on fire over time, both of which would be dope... I'm just not that optimistic on that actually happening.

Chrono.

I was going to get one, but now I feel silly when a new, better version would come out 6 months from then. :dizzy:
Jokes aside, we don't really know what this model will entail.

I'd say wait and see what happens before anyone goes ahead and jumps the gun with cancelling pre orders.

Not exactly. If PT did get cut, which was possible, Charizard was the most likely to still return alone.

I actually expected him if the scenario came up where the characters were split off, if they could only choose one. He wasn't highly expected, but again, this was a scenario that a small amount of people could see coming. Especially with the 3DS issues as is. It was a theory that showed up rarely, but to say no one expected it is a stretch. The reality is? Sometimes people expect scenarios that seem unlikely. They just happen to be wrong most often. Hence, why they're unlikely.
That still means nothing to the fact that the numbers are there.

D

Deleted member

Wait, what?
There seems to be this string of events where there's new developments all around for Nintendo. Someone already posted the link for the New Switch model coming in 2019, but here's the confirmation for a new Xenoblade game.

Doesn't it seem weird that before all of this just literally recently happened a few minutes ago while we also had stuff like the Japanese playlists for Smash Bros. being updated? Seems like there's plenty of new developments going on around the various studios, so I wouldn't be surprised in the Smash sides of things we get a presentation or even Direct in mid-October to continue the train of new news.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I agree. SMB3 is not that great. I'm not sorry, I just don't get its legacy outside of the McDonald toys and The Wizard promotion. I played it 2-3 years ago and found it blegh...

God, so many posts worth replying to, I can't keep up.
I gotta be honest. Mario 3 is the reason almost every good design trend in Mario platformers has existed past its release, including things as basic as
- A world map
- Themed worlds proper
- Koopa Kids (they're his kids you can't stop me Nintendo)
and the list goes on.
SMB3 also used the MMC5 mapper chip to do really cool things like give Mario games an actual complex, good HUD, which the games SORELY LACKED prior to 3's release.

Super Mario World, a game that gets tons of (deserving) praise heaped onto it owes almost all of its structural integrity to the things Mario 3 innovated, and for the year Mario 3 came out it was absolutely insane how much content they packed into that cartridge and into that game, and how revolutionary it was for the Mario franchise and the scope of platformers in general.

Its legacy becomes pretty clear when you realize its influence still reaches well beyond 20 years after its release. I can't fathom how a statement like this could be made, truth be told. I won't pretend I understand the sentiment.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Jokes aside, we don't really know what this model will entail.

I'd say wait and see what happens before anyone goes ahead and jumps the gun with cancelling pre orders.
I'm not canceling my pre-order, but as someone who doesn't even HAVE a Switch, now I don't really feel motivated to get one when it'll be 'outdated' in ha;f-a-year.

Chrono.

See, this makes no sense to me.

How many arrow attacks are in Smash right now? Pit, Dark Pit, Link... Zelda's final smash?
Nah, it's just Link's Final Smash now since Zelda's got reworked into the Shin Kikoho Triforce of Courage and Sheik's got turned into uhh... ****ing murdering your opponent.

D

Deleted member

I'm not canceling my pre-order, but as someone who doesn't even HAVE a Switch, now I don't really feel motivated to get one when it'll be 'outdated' in ha;f-a-year.
I'm pretty sure you might be able to get some pretty serious dollars if you wanna trade in your Switch for the new one, if it's a stronger Switch? The base one would drop in price, possibly, but I'm sure there are methods to where you might be able to trade in Switches, if possible. I could've sworn some stores do some console trade-in deals or something like that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Nah, it's just Link's Final Smash now since Zelda's got reworked into the Shin Kikoho Triforce of Courage and Sheik's got turned into uhh... ****ing murdering your opponent.
Honestly I'm surprised the footage of Sheikh posing with the knife during the flashy pre-animation with the Fire Emblem Awakening cutouts hasn't become a meme. I know I'll play Sheikh more often so I can yell "Imma cutya" when that happens

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm not trading in my Switch for a better one. I've got Kirby and Mario Kart downloaded on this thing.

It still works fine, I don't need another one.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
All the SMB3 love here makes me happy. Best 2D Mario, and one of the two best Mario games in general IMO.

Also glad it's getting love in the music department for Ultimate.

Chrono.

Honestly I'm surprised the footage of Sheikh posing with the knife during the flashy pre-animation with the Fire Emblem Awakening cutouts hasn't become a meme. I know I'll play Sheikh more often so I can yell "Imma cutya" when that happens
I can guarantee you it hasn't because all we got is shoddy off camera footage of it.

For those who haven't seen it.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Incineroar can spew flames out of it's **** and turn the flames into a chair and whack people with it
Sure, that flame belt's unique, but it's honestly nothing impressive. It's a piddly little fire spin in a game where we got **** like PK Fire and Flamethrower already. It'll take a lot to impress me with that.

As for the chair, that's completely made-up fan-fic and I'm sick of hearing it..
He's never done that, he's never done anything remotely similar to that, he's never shown any signs he can or will do anything like that. Just because Triple H in real life can reach behind the ropes and pull out a goddamn sledgehammer doesn't mean this Black Tiger looking-ass is gonna do the same.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

Now... how many wrestling-like moves exist in the game right now?
- Ganondorf's choke grab
- Kirby's grabs
- Charizard's Seismic Toss
- K. Rool's up (?) throw
- Ridley dragging the enemy across the floor
- Bowser's side B
Do you think maybe you're obsessively picking apart characters down to the gnat's ass and that your standard for "diverse" and "unique" can't possibly be met?

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm not trading in my Switch for a better one. I've got Kirby and Mario Kart downloaded on this thing.

It still works fine, I don't need another one.
I hope it's more of a DS to DSi compared to a 3DS to New 3DS, where the change is minor.

If it has a better battery life I'll likely buy one, transfer my downloads, and then trade in my current one. Having a better capability to play on the go would be nice.
So Steve confirmed?
It's certainly a point in Hitagi (and Vergeben's) favor, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Sure, that flame belt's unique, but it's honestly nothing impressive. It's a piddly little fire spin in a game where we got **** like PK Fire and Flamethrower already. It'll take a lot to impress me with that.

As for the chair, that's completely made-up fan-fic and I'm sick of hearing it..
He's never done that, he's never done anything remotely similar to that, he's never shown any signs he can or will do anything like that. Just because Triple H in real life can reach behind the ropes and pull out a goddamn sledgehammer doesn't mean this Black Tiger looking-*** is gonna do the same.
You're right that he never did that BUT GODDAMN HE SHOULD HAVE HIS ****ING CONCEPT ART HAS HIM SMACK **** WITH A CHAIR HOW DO YOU **** THIS UP GAME FREAK

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That still means nothing to the fact that the numbers are there.
...That doesn't make sense at all to what I said.

It's the fact that some people saw PT as a cut possibly, that only Charizard would return for 4. This isn't something a ton of people saw, so of course Charizard coming back wasn't really expected by the majority of the fanbase. You made the assertion that nobody could see it coming. This is false. Yes, some did. I agree with the idea that he wasn't easy to expect(why on earth people thought he somehow counted as a newcomer when he was clearly just a veteran returning while the rest of his partners didn't is the weird part instead). If you're making another point, I don't legitimately know what it is.

D

Deleted member

Isn't this what the Hitagi guy said?
Marcus Sellars also said there was gonna be a Switch Pro. :dazwa:

In the end, we don't really know what the New Switch model is gonna be. This can simply be another weird refresh like the DSi, OR, it could actually be a more powerful Switch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrono.

He's never done that, he's never done anything remotely similar to that, he's never shown any signs he can or will do anything like that. Just because Triple H in real life can reach behind the ropes and pull out a goddamn sledgehammer doesn't mean this Black Tiger looking-*** is gonna do the same.
I mean you can see him use a table in the concept art.

A chair isn't that far off from a table. :p

D

Deleted member

So question to all Zelda fans. Out of all of these Zelda games, how would you rank them by how much you like them?
Zelda 1
Zelda 2
A Link To The Past
Link's Awakening
Oracle Games
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Wind Waker
The Minish Cap
Twilight Princess
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks
Skyward Sword
A Link Between Worlds
Breath of The Wild

My rankings:
  1. Breath of The Wild
  2. Majora's Mask
  3. A Link Between Worlds
  4. Ocarina of Time
  5. Skyward Sword
  6. Twilight Princess
  7. A Link To The Past
  8. Wind Waker
  9. Zelda 2
  10. Zelda 1
Haven't played Link's Awakening,The Minish Cap, Oracle games, or the DS titles so I won't judge them.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I specifically remember scolding several people who thought Charizard would appear in Smash for 3DS/Wii U as his own character.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

You're right, he didn't use a chair.

He used a table.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
So question to all Zelda fans. Out of all of these Zelda games, how would you rank them by how much you like them?
Zelda 1
Zelda 2
A Link To The Past
Link's Awakening
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Wind Waker
The Minish Cap
Twilight Princess
Skyward Sword
A Link Between Worlds
Breath of The Wild

My rankings:
  1. Breath of The Wild
  2. Majora's Mask
  3. A Link Between Worlds
  4. Ocarina of Time
  5. Skyward Sword
  6. Twilight Princess
  7. A Link To The Past
  8. The Minish Cap
  9. Wind Waker
  10. Zelda 2
  11. Zelda 1
You're missing the Oracle games, Four Swords, Four Swords Adventures, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks and TriForce Heroes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom