• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakky

Smash Hero
This guy.

He's from the Namco game, The Tower of Drauga (pretty much retro). He's also known as Gil, and has this Mii Costume:

Not necessarily the highest priority, but he has a chance, and definitely could end up being a surprise character if revealed.
Has an anime

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
But whose idea was this?

I mean, the name is very unoriginal, honestly.
That's kind of the joke of her story tho linkle for smash tbh you guys complaining about too many swords how about ****ing crossbows

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Favorite female Smash characters? Well I for one accept the popular headcanon that Ivysaur is a girl, so :ivysaur:.

...Alright, for a real answer I'd have to say Samus or Palutena. I recently started playing Super Metroid lately and as a result my interest in playing as Samus in Smash has shot up a bunch recently. I'm also a huge KI:U fan and Palutena was my most wanted in Smash 4, so I'm willing to put up with the fact that her tilts and two of her smashes are awful.
But Leaf can’t use the right colours on her pokemon :(
Okay I'll admit this actually does bug me a tiny bit. I'm stick choosing between Red's cheesy voice acting or missing out on the monster's best colors. None of Zard's alts especially really do it for me, at least not compared to his default orange.

I'll probably be using Leaf's Hilda alt since I'm a big fan of B/W and Aerodactylzard is probably my favorite non-default Zard alt.

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
"Assists can't be promoted as DLC" is nothing but a baseless fan rule. And I'm sure porting over the same Assist since Brawl took an extraordinary amount of work...

I'll never get the "they put so much work into his Assist" line of logic. I don't think Sakurai is overly prideful enough to let a decision he made back in Brawl stop him from pleasing fans. That'd just be turning down lots of potential profit money. That's not even just directed at Waluigi, but Assists in general. If there is notable demand, I highly doubt they'll mourn the loss of the grueling five minutes it took to port his data from the last game. He got a new texture and a launch animation, that's it.
i mean Sakurai DID stood his stance on characters announced on the Smash website being playable, not the confirmed Assist Trophies, during the Smash 4 hype and DLC.
DeconfirmedAssistTrophies.jpeg
though it is still unknown if that still applies to Ultimate, especially when several popular characters previously under assist-status (that includes Ridley and Chrom helping fighters), are being made playable yet Waluigi, Takamaru, Goroh, Zero, Alucard, and etc, aren't. (unless Sakurai is planning some sort of alternative for the more fleshed out Assist Trophies, but its just an assumption of mines)

Pakky

Smash Hero
So if the Vergeben rumors are true, who do you you guys think the second Square representative will be?
Geno or Chocobo(I'm serious)

So, are there any supporters of Nier's 2B around here?
Want her on the Switch because I refuse to buy a PS4.

Cuz that's closing in on a grand for like a comfortable experience but then I only see like three games?

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Id love to see Mario Party, Mario Kart, and Mario Sports become series' in their own right, outside of the Mario logo.
I don't know how it could happen though, except over many iterations. Changing branding is very difficult.

EDIT: The lack of love Lara Croft gets is astounding. I'd much rather have a known third party character that is not associated with Nintendo, then a dead third party character just because it is slightly associated with Nintendo.
I'm the exact opposite. If I don't associate a character or series with Nintendo at all, I don't want it touching Smash personally. Even if I like said character or series outside of the context of Smash.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
>Bowser one
Yikes
>Ice Climbers
They're alright
Agreed I legit hate my bowser. I’m kinda proud of my ice climbers.
Honestly. The only way I could imagine Bowser sounding is like that. It’s kinda what he sounds like from the weird noises he makes in odyssey.
IGuessItsOver IGuessItsOver Any ways I can improve bowser?

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Here's one - what is your favorite render pose for each character?

I tend to like active poses, but I love the amiibo and I'd prefer no support rod, so my favorites are usually ones that are active but still have both feet on the ground. For each character...
I would do a whole thing but this tablet I'm on lags.
:ultrob:: Sm4sh. What is he even doing in his Ultimate pose?
He's dancing. It's called character development.

/s
:ultfalcon:: Ultimate. His Brawl is good but sedate, and his Sm4sh look is ridiculous. I do like the running from Melee, but I feel Ultimate shows him off better.
:ultsonic:: Brawl. It's such a great classic pose. This new one is probably his worst - what is he even doing?
Captain's Smash 4 and Sonic's Ultimate poses look really similar, it's pretty much a freeze frame kick with Sonic obviously facing the camera.

When you ask what Sonic is doing it kinda goes inline with his official artwork from his games...when you think about it.

The Sonic Adventure art book.

Look at the first one: S - M1, the iconic SA pose from the box art. What is he doing? It's so ****ing weird. It doesn't look that bad, however, given his noodle proportions.

S - M6. That pose is the oldest known artwork besides the S - M2 pose and appeared on the Sonic R album cover in January 1998 before Adventure was revealed in August that same year:

What's he doing there? Dancing?

Look a his 3D Blast artwork:

Is he dancing here? I'm more sure of it with this pose.

His new art from May.

Is he waving while skidding to a halt after a quick jog? That's what it looks like.

Sonic's dynamic poses are a bit bizarre to begin with so I've come to the conclusion that Sakurai is trying to channel his inner Yuji Uekawa. Sonic is striking a pose where he sticks out a leg as if he's kicking something; looks a lot like something Uekawa would draw.

Sonic characters generally just do poses for the sake of it regardless of how weird and nonsensical it appears. I think that's why I like his Ultimate pose so much.

:ultwolf:: Brawl, but the two arts are very similar and they're both good.
I like his Ultimate because it's clearly a reference to Yamcha. It also just looks more visceral.

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
We're still talking about the Waluigi being playable thing?

Welp, this is the new Ridley
if this fat son of a pig gets promoted from Boss to Stage Boss instead of being a fighter "in favor" like WFT was, i see him as the next Ridley
detailed_Porky_(Mother 2).png

speaking of a Giygas stage, is the JeuxVideo leak debunked or still untouched?
because i still remember a mod from there saying here they can't access or archive deleted content and just making guesses.

EDIT: just learned its fake! which is even better, we don't have to worry about Porky being a stage boss atm.

Last edited:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Agreed I legit hate my bowser. I’m kinda proud of my ice climbers.
Honestly. The only way I could imagine Bowser sounding is like that. It’s kinda what he sounds like from the weird noises he makes in odyssey.
I think you need a deeper voice tone to nail Bowser's voice, but yeah the Ice Climbers actually sound nice and cute.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm the exact opposite. If I don't associate a character or series with Nintendo at all, I don't want it touching Smash personally. Even if I like said character or series outside of the context of Smash.
I used to agree with this- but since we have a few that aren't particularly Nintendo, I figure, lets make them stand out less. If we are into video game history, let's get *into* it.

Pakky

Smash Hero
if this fat son of a pig gets promoted from Boss to Stage Boss instead of being a fighter "in favor" like WFT was, i see him as the next Ridley
View attachment 166334
speaking of a Giygas stage, is the JeuxVideo leak debunked or still untouched?
because i still remember a mod from there saying here they can't access or archive deleted content and just making guesses.
Honestly, this form could work as a character. Just put all the Porky stuff in a pot together and make a gumbo.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I love Earthbound, but I'm not itching for an immediate new character.
I'd love a boss Porky. Boss Andross. Boss Kraid. Boss Deoxys. Boss Dark Matter. Boss Vaati.

Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
i mean Sakurai DID stood his stance on characters announced on the Smash website being playable, not the confirmed Assist Trophies, during the Smash 4 hype and DLC.
View attachment 166331
though it is still unknown if that still applies to Ultimate, especially when several popular characters previously under assist-status (that includes Ridley and Chrom helping fighters), are being made playable yet Waluigi, Takamaru, Goroh, Zero, Alucard, and etc, aren't. (unless Sakurai is planning some sort of alternative for the more fleshed out Assist Trophies, but its just an assumption of mines)
I've seen a theory thrown around that since "Spirits", or whatever the final name will be, will presumably be a Metroidvania or Great Cave Offensive styled mode, some assist trophies can work as a P2 character or buddy.
Kinda like they did in Kirby Super Star with enemies.
I could see this happening actually, given we're assuming it's going to be like Adventure Mode or SSE. Also, it'd allow people to fight alongside some of their favorite characters.

Anywho, I feel the whole AT promotion thing is straw grasping.
Sakurai puts these guys there, only because he feels that's the way he can envision them outside of being a potential boss or regular trophy.
He doesn't see it as anything lesser than having an actual character on the roster.
That property or character is still being recognized by the series and Nintendo as a whole.
Not to mention doing that would still result in scrapped content and wasted resources into making that Assist Trophy, regardless of how "easy" it may seem. Man-hours and substantial work still went into it.
(Also, it'd cause backlash on top of that, and I doubt Nintendo or Sakurai wants that.)

I don't see it happening at all.
Could it? Possibly.
But at the end of the day, I'd feel that if Sakurai wanted to give that character a whirl for DLC, the team just would've never implemented them in the first place.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I've seen a theory thrown around that since "Spirits", or whatever the final name will be, will presumably be a Metroidvania or Great Cave Offensive styled mode, some assist trophies can work as a P2 character or buddy.
I could see this happening actually, given we're assuming it's going to be like Adventure Mode or SSE. Also, it'd allow people to fight alongside some of their favorite characters.

Sakurai puts these guys there, only because he feels that's the way he can envision them outside of being a potential boss or regular trophy.
He doesn't see it as anything lesser than having an actual character on the roster.
That property or character is still being recognized by the series and Nintendo as a whole.
Not to mention doing that would still result in scrapped content and wasted resources into making that Assist Trophy, regardless of how "easy" it may seem. Man-hours and substantial work still went into it.
(Also, it'd cause backlash on top of that, and I doubt Nintendo or Sakurai wants that.)

Could it? Possibly.
But at the end of the day, I'd feel that if Sakurai wanted to give that character a whirl for DLC, the team just would've never implemented them in the first place.
Thank you for killing my Ashley dreams twice.

Nah, you're probably right. I'm not even mad, i've resigned myself to the fact that Ashley will never be playable in a Smash game.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
View attachment 166331
Sakurai was very specific with those 4...geez

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Prove this wrong.

Untitled.png

I bet you guys forgot Deus Ex was even a game.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079

Nah, you're probably right. I'm not even mad, i've resigned myself to the fact that Ashley will never be playable in a Smash game.
Dude, I feel the exact same way, I'm just being honest.
Yeah, it sucks.
That's the thing about it, is that there's some Poké Ball Pokémon and Assist Trophies, like Lyn, Scizor, Knuckles, etc., that I'd love to actually get in. But it's apparent that's all they'll get for now.

But hey, if that theory is true, maybe you can fight alongside them at the very least!
even though it's not remotely the same thing.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Favorite female Smash characters?
You'd never guess who mine is.

I love Earthbound, but I'm not itching for an immediate new character. I'd love a boss Porky. Boss Andross. Boss Kraid. Boss Deoxys. Boss Dark Matter. Boss Vaati.
I love EarthBound too, but I can admit that a new character would be extremely weird and almost out of place for Ultimate.

Ness and Lucas are good enough for me. Ninten as an Echo is the most I'd ever want, assuming no new games every come out.

If Isabelle can get in Smash, I don't see why Ashley couldn't.

One rejection doesn't decide the rest of her future.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
This thread HAS been getting slower. Maybe I can finally go through all the pages for once :yoshi:
That's what happens when a dryspell happens during Smash speculation period. I do seriously hope we get a Robin/Lucina moment to make speculation fun again.

Noipoi

Howdy!
In my quest to play through some classic games before the release of Smash Ultimate, i've found myself playing Yoshi's Island.
Not much, only the first few levels. But I have to say that the game still looks beautiful to this day, and that losing Baby Mario is one of the most stressful things i've ever encountered.

Darkraid

Smash Champion

Could it? Possibly.
AT promotiin can happen. They can be both playable and AT

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
I'm biased towards pretty much every turtle character, but my favorite female fighter is Wendy O. Koopa. She's adorable, and Smash's first ever female villain. She was running **** before we got Bayonetta.

Untouch

Smash Master
Cooking Mama is Taito which is owned by Square Enix I guess.
I don't think they actually have the rights though, it's Office Create which still apparently exists...
Learn something new every day I guess.

D

Deleted member

Deus Ex. It's been awhile since I played one of those games.

So, do any of you here feel that the hate that sword characters get is overblown. I do.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
In my quest to play through some classic games before the release of Smash Ultimate, i've found myself playing Yoshi's Island.
Not much, only the first few levels. But I have to say that the game still looks beautiful to this day, and that losing Baby Mario is one of the most stressful things i've ever encountered.
I hope you enjoy it as you go further along :yoshi:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom