• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Switching gears and gonna post a moveset idea for a character no one expects..........

"The hated boss who beats you down, and beats you down, and never lets up... Yeah. Big bad Guzma is here!"

Seriously, a Pokemon 'villain' for the Pokemon Trainer? Its ya Boi, Guzma and Golisopod leave an impression! *Cue Splash Screen*

Golisopod would be the fighter, while Guzma squats in the background and just watches on. Every now and then he could say things like "Yeah, hit em!" "Why are you running?"

Up Taunt: The exclamation mark appears above Golisopod's head, looks around nervously/scared and toughens up when Guzma hypes him back up "Yo you got this!"
Side Taunt: Golisopod stands tall and does the Team Skull pose and Guzma gets up "Yeah yeah like that!"
Down Taunt: Golisopod and Guzma throw up there hands in unison and throw gang signs around "Ready for a beat down!?"

Neutral Special: X-Scissor - This move acts like Cloud's Cross Slash, but is more simplified. Swings its glowing red claws upward with one arm at a time. Then it brings them back down with an X slash (Red highlights for the move )
Side Special:
First Impression - Golisopod acts bashful and sweet and slowly looks away from the opponent, but quickly lunges at them with a quick claw strike! This move makes me think of Greninja's Substitute move. The longer you hold the button, the further and harder you hit the opponent.
Down Special: Payback - This move is a counter (Another heavy with a counter). Golisopod puts up his claw arms like a shield and when he is hit, he throws his claws outward and stomps the ground releasing dark energy around him. (Could also be Struggle Bug, but IDK)
Up Special: Liquidation - This move acts like Foxes up special, but with less distance to travel. Water generates around Golisopod and he launches himself head first in the desired direction. There is slow down if he hits a wall or the ground.

Final Smash: Savage Spin-Out - Guzma does the Buginium Z pose and says "Time for some pain!" And Golispod spews a string of webs around himself and all who are caught in it are put in a cutscene. The fighters caught are wrapped in a web that is being held by Golisopod. Golisopod proceeds to throw the fighters about, slamming them into the ground and spins them around before he pulls the web closer and slashes right through the webbing, launching the fighters. While that is going on, Guzma says his catchphrase in the background "He'll beat you down and beat you down and will never let up!"

Let me know what you all think!

This is my second most wanted Gen 7 pokemon rep, after Primarina. Guzma is such a fun character and even in USUM you can tell they had tons of fun with him, so I hope he continues being popular and doesn't just get forgotten in time.

One thing I would prefer is if the moveset had other pokemon as well to highlight that it's Guzma's team and not just a lone Golisopod, so more bug pokemon. Like, something like Masquerain being the recovery and carrying Golisopod to safety, or a down b where you "place" Ariados in the ground and if anyone steps near it or on it, they get poisoned or get stuck in spider web.

Design-wise I'd also wonder about ways to incorporate his ability. Like, maybe if Golisopod gets hit by a move that would have been fatal, instead he gets invincibility frames and dashes away but gets nerfed in speed and attack for a couple seconds.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Why would they say no though? I don't care for Geno but it makes no sense.

They aren't using the character. They have most likely no plans to use the character. Sakurai and presumably a majority of the Smash fanbase want Geno. Its free money. Not only, is it free money BUT THEY KNOW its free money because they already let Sakurai use Geno as a basis for the Mii Costume DLC.

But all the sudden they don't want Geno in Smash? No way. If Geno isn't in then he's probably coming for DLC. Sakurai wants him and at least, AT LEAST, the vocal minority want Geno in Smash. If Geno doesn't make it in by the time that Smash Ultimate's DLC concludes........I'll be blown away.

Companies out here being offered free money and they look at it and say "meh."
The thing is, they still have to go through negotiations and work out a favorable deal.
And if anything Geno being a character they haven't used in over a decade, hurts his chances more. As, he wouldn't be promoting anything they have out and doesn't have a large enough fanbase, like other properties, to even warrant his inclusion.
It becomes a question if the character is even worthwhile economically speaking, and if they'll make any returns on him to justify the costs for licensing him.
This goes both ways for Nintendo and SE.

Also, in no way does the majority of the Smash fanbase want him.
Not to discredit the character, but he's literally a character just from one spin off that underpreformed in Nintendo's eyes. Not to mention some territories don't even know the game he's from, such as Europe.
He's extremely obscure.
A good chunk of the speculative community want him, sure. However, compare how small that is to the proportion of actual players and people that seek out the franchise.
That's a small minority in comparison.
He's not a popular character, as he's in only ever discussed in the speculative realm of Smash, not Nintendo or even Mario characters.

But as I, and many others have said, it could literally come down to SE saying no as they have to come to a favorable deal.
It's not impossible, really.

Last edited:

meowth_thats_wrong

Smash Cadet
I still disagree..she really isn't as popular as she used to be and was an iconic female protagonist for the wrong reasons imo..SQ has much more popular and desired series then Tomb Raider..and likely ones that did much better on the ballot.
I'd disagree to your disagreement lol. Tomb Raider is a major, major franchise for Square. We obviously aren't the target audience given that Nintendo consoles can't run her latest game revivals, and I doubt she placed super high on the Smash Ballot (a poll largely focused on the Nintendo community), but if you've seen the sales numbers you'd know that the general public is still well aware of the franchise. Tomb Raider & Rise of the Tomb Raider sold 18 million combined. Uncharted 4 sold roughly 9 million, roughly equal to the former titles. And similar to the Uncharted series, the new Tomb Raider games are critically acclaimed and graphically intense and appeal broadly to the mainstream casual community. To give an example, I went on BestBuy to preorder Smash this week and they were advertising the newest Tomb Raider on the header.

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
I think we should be getting one more Smash Direct sometime in November, that's when they will talk about that mysterious mode that they didn't talk about in the previous direct and also reveal the final new characters for the game.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Switching gears and gonna post a moveset idea for a character no one expects..........

"The hated boss who beats you down, and beats you down, and never lets up... Yeah. Big bad Guzma is here!"

Seriously, a Pokemon 'villain' for the Pokemon Trainer? Its ya Boi, Guzma and Golisopod leave an impression! *Cue Splash Screen*

Golisopod would be the fighter, while Guzma squats in the background and just watches on. Every now and then he could say things like "Yeah, hit em!" "Why are you running?"

Up Taunt: The exclamation mark appears above Golisopod's head, looks around nervously/scared and toughens up when Guzma hypes him back up "Yo you got this!"
Side Taunt: Golisopod stands tall and does the Team Skull pose and Guzma gets up "Yeah yeah like that!"
Down Taunt: Golisopod and Guzma throw up there hands in unison and throw gang signs around "Ready for a beat down!?"

Neutral Special: X-Scissor - This move acts like Cloud's Cross Slash, but is more simplified. Swings its glowing red claws upward with one arm at a time. Then it brings them back down with an X slash (Red highlights for the move )
Side Special:
First Impression - Golisopod acts bashful and sweet and slowly looks away from the opponent, but quickly lunges at them with a quick claw strike! This move makes me think of Greninja's Substitute move. The longer you hold the button, the further and harder you hit the opponent.
Down Special: Payback - This move is a counter (Another heavy with a counter). Golisopod puts up his claw arms like a shield and when he is hit, he throws his claws outward and stomps the ground releasing dark energy around him. (Could also be Struggle Bug, but IDK)
Up Special: Liquidation - This move acts like Foxes up special, but with less distance to travel. Water generates around Golisopod and he launches himself head first in the desired direction. There is slow down if he hits a wall or the ground.

Final Smash: Savage Spin-Out - Guzma does the Buginium Z pose and says "Time for some pain!" And Golispod spews a string of webs around himself and all who are caught in it are put in a cutscene. The fighters caught are wrapped in a web that is being held by Golisopod. Golisopod proceeds to throw the fighters about, slamming them into the ground and spins them around before he pulls the web closer and slashes right through the webbing, launching the fighters. While that is going on, Guzma says his catchphrase in the background "He'll beat you down and beat you down and will never let up!"

Let me know what you all think!
I only think:

Nice concept, love the taunts... maybe aquajet for up-b working like pikachu quick attack, and luquidation for the down B? InSilvally support thread tehre was also a similar concept for Silvally including Gladion.

My problem with incineroar isn't that it is a bad pick, far from that . it's pretty chill, my problem is that i think that 7th gen have tons of more interesting fighter concepts (Gladion/Silvally, Guzma/Golisopod, Mimikyu, Lycanrock, Lusamine/Nihilego, etc etc etc...)

Still, if we end getting incineroar, i still will enjoy him. although, there is always a chance incineroar ends being this game's "Chrom"

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Yes, please and thank you! Phoenix Wright does have a shot at being playable. Base roster or dlc. Especially if Verge's leak involving him comes true.
Correct me If i'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Verge Didn't mention Phoenix Wright (I would love him though). Can you give me some links where he said that?

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Also, in no way does the majority of the Smash fanbase want him.
Not to discredit the character, but he's literally a character just from one spin off that underpreformed in Nintendo's eyes. Not to mention some territories don't even know the game he's from, such as Europe.
He's extremely obscure.
A good chunk of the speculative community want him, sure. However, compare how small that is to the proportion of actual players and people that seek out the franchise.
That's a small minority in comparison.
He's not a popular character, as he's in only ever discussed in the speculative realm of Smash, not Nintendo or even Mario characters.
Fair enough on the first part. I don't really understand the full scope of how licensing works and what not. I assumed it was as easy as signing a piece of paper and being handed money, which is probably....pretty far from what actually goes on.

As for the second bit......I completely agree.......but you should probably avoid saying that else others will jump for your throat trying to prove you wrong. Trust me I've tried arguing against them. It wasn't fun. :lol:

EDIT: Somehow they seem to have let that slip.......what the heeeeeeell.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
At least she'd be a better choice then some of the more absurd ones like Dante, Master Chief, Scorpion, Steve and we can't forget Goku which is requested for some reason...Why? Because Dragon Ball is popular? :glare:
To be fair... Even though Dragon Ball started as an anime then a manga... It has a very long and diverse legacy with video games.... Even in the modern age dokkan, and heroes... Massive side games.... Xenoverse and fighterz are pretty big too.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Regarding the discovery by ConnorEatsPants on Twitter,

I wouldn't be surprised if the last character (besides Ken) was Dixie Kong. After Isabelle's reveal, it would seem we're in a Toon Link/Wolf situation. This wouldn't be the first time a recent gen Pokemon wasn't originally planned for Super Smash Bros. In Super Smash Bros. Melee, Sakurai originally was only going to include Mewtwo, despite Gold & Silver being the most recent game, but Pichu was added later with the 5 other echoes.

And we're obviously not getting a new Xenoblade character AND a new Pokemon character according to this discovery. Unless the echo fighter is intended to be Rex. But, I think if Isabelle is as unique as she is, Rex would most likely not be an echo fighter.

Point being, if we can go without a new Xenoblade character, we could probably just as well go without a new Pokemon. I think Isabelle being a "semi-clone" is a strong indicator that the next fighter will be as well, which is why I think it's probably Dixie Kong.

It may very well be that these newer, post-2015 fighters are being saved for DLC (Pokemon Sun & Moon/Pokemon 8, Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Arms).

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I only think:

Nice concept, love the taunts... maybe aquajet for up-b working like pikachu quick attack, and luquidation for the down B? InSilvally support thread tehre was also a similar concept for Silvally including Gladion.

My problem with incineroar isn't that it is a bad pick, far from that . it's pretty chill, my problem is that i think that 7th gen have tons of more interesting fighter concepts (Gladion/Silvally, Guzma/Golisopod, Mimikyu, Lycanrock, Lusamine/Nihilego, etc etc etc...)

Still, if we end getting incineroar, i still will enjoy him. although, there is always a chance incineroar ends being this game's "Chrom"
I thought about that, but technically Greninja uses that move for up-b already, thus Liquidation made sense at the time.

I agree, I will be happy with which Poke' gets in.

I think I was one of the first to state that exact comment! (Chrom)

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
If we assume Ken and Inceniroar are the last characters left to be revealed who do you think are the 5 most likely DLC characters.

To make this more interesting you can't say Rex/Pyra or Springman, because I imagine almost everyone is going to bring them up.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
So I can't believe that there's only one echo fighter left I'm not buying it.

Why introduce a concept and add so few?

Also no Xenoblade, no other Namco guys and Geno is the only other SE guy? nah.

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
There would be something darkly humorous if after all the years and arguing, K. Rool is literally the only unique newcomer handpicked from the ballot.

So much for those vocal minorities, eh?
It may still be a vocal minority, check this out. It's an interesting read:

http://askagamedev.tumblr.com/post/149466049419/80-20-5

According to a google search, there were 1.8 million votes in the ballot, while the 3DS version sold more than 9 million. Add to that the massive number of multiple votes (we all know many, many of us voted at least two characters) and the number of people that actually voted shrinks.
It's good to remember that us forum frequenters, etc. are only a ~5% of the total audience.

For example, look at Isabelle, she trended #2 worldwide on twitter, while K.rool barely made the list, her reveal got three thousand more upvotes in r/smashbros, and etc.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
If we assume Ken and Inceniroar are the last characters left to be revealed who do you think are the 5 most likely DLC characters.

To make this more interesting you can't say Rex/Pyra or Springman, because I imagine almost everyone is going to bring them up.
Chrous Men
Isaac
Bandanna Waddle Dee
Shadow
Dixie Kong

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Fair enough on the first part. I don't really understand the full scope of how licensing works and what not. I assumed it was as easy as signing a piece of paper and being handed money, which is probably....pretty far from what actually goes on.

As for the second bit......I completely agree.......but you should probably avoid saying that else others will jump for your throat trying to prove you wrong. Trust me I've tried arguing against them. It wasn't fun. :lol:
Yeah, I know.
I mean, I've gone on record saying this multiple times and, surprisingly, no one actually tried to go for my neck.
All characters have things that go against them, even the little guys I support, it's just a dangerous mentality to have that your character is a "lock".
I usually just try to show that when people don't seem to acknowledge it or don't understand it.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team

Elma, Geno, Isaac, Namco character, SE character if the last one isn't it or if it is, Chorus Kids

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Geno
Elma
Dixie Kong
Bandana Dee
Boshi

LetterO

Smash Lord

Crash, Geno, Octolings, Geno, and any Kirby character.

edit: shoot I forgot about a RH character. Uhh replace the Kirby character

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I still disagree..she really isn't as popular as she used to be and was an iconic female protagonist for the wrong reasons imo..SQ has much more popular and desired series then Tomb Raider..and likely ones that did much better on the ballot.
You mean the same Lara Croft who just had a major release this week and a major motion picture this year? And whose last two games sold over 18 million copies despite the dumb idea to be an XB1 timed exclusive in Rise?

The big thing about Lara Croft is that, along with probably Jill Valentine and Chun Li, she is one of the female protagonist gaming icons, and that sort of reputation doesn't really fade with time. It's the same reason Sonic games still sell well. For some reason.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

Geno, Isaac, Banjo, Dragon Quest character and Tails.

StormC

Smash Hero
It may still be a vocal minority, check this out. It's an interesting read:

http://askagamedev.tumblr.com/post/149466049419/80-20-5

According to a google search, there were 1.8 million votes in the ballot, while the 3DS version sold more than 9 million. Add to that the massive number of multiple votes (we all know many, many of us voted at least two characters) and the number of people that actually voted shrinks.
It's good to remember that us forum frequenters, etc. are only a ~5% of the total audience.

For example, look at Isabelle, she trended #2 worldwide on twitter, while K.rool barely made the list, her reveal got three thousand more upvotes in r/smashbros, and etc.
The point of “vocal minorities” was thrown as an argument that K. Rool didn’t do as well on the ballot as forums and polls would lead one to believe, even though we obviously know now that’s not true. With only 1.8 million votes and likely at least half being double votes, it becomes clear the ballot was driven by hardcore Smash fans, not casuals.

Nobody would ever argue a character like Isabelle is less popular in general than K. Rool, but in the context of the ballot? K. Rool probably left most in the dust.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
pretty sure that info was part of a fake leak... The only info that Verge has told us that hasn't been officially announced is Ken, a Gen 7 Pokemon, A Square Enix Character, And Minecraft content. I've been keeping up with Verge, and he never once mentioned Tails, Noctis, or Phoenix Wright. The news site got some of their sources wrong. Kind of a shame too, Would've loved Phoenix Wright in smash,

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
why do pikachu's ears go over and outside his box

this is painful why did nintendo do this
That's actually on GameFreak/TPCi and their draconian trademark and copyright enforcement. Check out Best Buy's website banners with the characters and you'll notice the same thing. They're uber protective of Pikachu and, as a result, force its entire head to not be obscured in promotional material, even if it ruins the banner design. :p

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Anything non-box related pop up in the last 9 hours?
A brief conversation about Banjo, some rate the newcomer games...and then a bunch of crap about the box.

When this game releases, I'm going to make a Mii Fighter whose face looks as if its lived 1000 tormented lifetimes and just call it "The Box" so that I can perfectly embody the hysteria going on over this.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
To be fair... Even though Dragon Ball started as an anime then a manga... It has a very long and diverse legacy with video games.... Even in the modern age dokkan, and heroes... Massive side games.... Xenoverse and fighterz are pretty big too.
Still he's not a video game character. The others I can give though due to being those but not Goku.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom