• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Alright guys, it’s time to talk about the important characters.

Poochy or Polterpup?

Both from Mario spinoffs. Both adorable. Both canines.

Poochy got name billing on the 3ds port of wooly world.

But Polterpup is an adorable ghost dog.
Polterpup was the best thing about Luigi's Mansion 2, which was otherwise forgettable. Him.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
All I'm saying is when it comes to the box theory is this:
I remember a lot of paranoia and hysteria over the fact that some characters weren't shown on the back of here.
Hell, I remember people trying to use this as "evidence" against the ESRB leak.

It's just the biggest problem I have with the box theory, is that it's literally an unfinished mock-up. Couple this with Sakurai's statements about how nobody knew about the veterans or newcomers and the fact that it doesn't line up with Verge's claims at all.
If I'm correct, the game hasn't even gone gold yet, so that makes it even less likely the promotional team would even know the full details of the roster.
Especially given how the hype cycle is going so far.
But anyway, I talked about this to death.
I'm just done with the box theory being thrown around like proven fact.

A reasonable argument against the Box Theory?

I didn't think the legends were true...

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Just finished Mario rpg, I had a great time, and i'm 100% on the Geno train now!
It's weird how that character that doesn't get introduced until, like, a quarter of the way through the game, feels like the main character by the end.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Y'know, there's another possibility to the boxart thing that I haven't seen many people bring up.

The next two characters are being revealed fairly soon. Anyone else after them are just left off the boxart entirely in order to avoid leaks.
Biggest flaw with this is that this is the bundle that releases with the game, not in November. So we will know all the characters at that point and there's no reason to hide any more unrevealed characters.

LetterO

Smash Lord
All I'm saying is when it comes to the box theory is this:
I remember a lot of paranoia and hysteria over the fact that some characters weren't shown on the back of here.
Hell, I remember people trying to use this as "evidence" against the ESRB leak.

It's just the biggest problem I have with the box theory, is that it's literally an unfinished mock-up. Couple this with Sakurai's statements about how nobody knew about the veterans or newcomers and the fact that it doesn't line up with Verge's claims at all.
If I'm correct, the game hasn't even gone gold yet, so that makes it even less likely the promotional team would even know the full details of the roster.
Especially given how the hype cycle is going so far.
But anyway, I talked about this to death.
I'm just done with the box theory being thrown around like proven fact.
why do pikachu's ears go over and outside his box

this is painful why did nintendo do this

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Wow. Yesterday, nearly everyone though the box theory was absolutely true. But now, it seems that people are finding flaws in it today now. Talk about a roller coaster of speculation.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
I have a theory that (Including Inkling, Ridley, Simon, K. Rool, Isabelle.) there will be 12 unique fighters in total. But the catch is... only 8 of them will be revealed, and the other 4 will remain hidden until the time comes to reveal them, it's a clever way to reference the original game AND provides a nice surprise when you unlock them.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
It's weird how that character that doesn't get introduced until, like, a quarter of the way through the game, feels like the main character by the end.
I just want Bowser to turn into Giga Bowser and use that Smithy sword that crashed in his keep! That would be cool.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I have a theory that (Including Inkling, Ridley, Simon, K. Rool, Isabelle.) there will be 12 unique fighters in total. But the catch is... only 8 of them will be revealed, and the other 4 will remain hidden until the time comes to reveal them, it's a clever way to reference the original game AND provides a nice surprise when you unlock them.
Sakurai said all fighters will be revealed before release though

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
For some reason I think Steve would be some sort of clone of link with a diamond sword,bow and arrows,and TNT instead of bombs. But personally I think Steve is a dumb character. I'd rather see doom guy.
Ummm... pretty sure Steve has a much better chance than Doom Guy

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Nah, that won't work in this time and era, people would datamine them and reveal them on the internet.
rip boomers

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I would be down with Steve if he actually did Minecraft stuff. Like he built things, used all the different blocks, etc. I have no clue how it would work but it'd be super interesting to see Sakurai go all out with him

But if he just uses his bow/pickaxe/etc. Nahhhhh

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
That makes lots of sense imo. So does that mean, we'll probably learn about Ken and Incineroar in October?
I'm guessing something close to that. Incineroar can be swapped out with virtually any popular newcomer you'd like though. If we're getting more characters, then it really doesn't matter who gets revealed next.

Now if this ends up being the case, Ken would likely be the last Echo on the boxart, but not the last Echo altogether. Since Nintendo would've kept the other Echoes off the boxart entirely, there wouldn't be a need to leave a space for them. This means characters like Diddy, Sheik, Sonic, etc. could still get an Echo. It's just that Nintendo won't have them on the boxart because they're being revealed so close to the release date. They'll treat them like they don't exist.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Y'know, there's another possibility to the boxart thing that I haven't seen many people bring up.

The next two characters are being revealed fairly soon. Anyone else after them are just left off the boxart entirely in order to avoid leaks.
Yup this is what I was saying before. Ken and Character 69 could easily be revealed in a few weeks and it would cover the current box with Isabelle. THEN the smash direct happens a few weeks after/November and reveals the final characters (however many there are), but they aren't on the box due to promotional people not even having this information on characters or purposefully keeping them off the box to begin with.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I'm guessing something close to that. Incineroar can be swapped out with virtually any popular newcomer you'd like though. If we're getting more characters, then it really doesn't matter who gets revealed next.

Now if this ends up being the case, Ken would likely be the last Echo on the boxart, but not the last Echo altogether. Since Nintendo would've kept the other Echoes off the boxart entirely, there wouldn't be a need to leave a space for them. This means characters like Diddy, Sheik, Sonic, etc. could still get an Echo. It's just that Nintendo won't have them on the boxart because they're being revealed so close to the release date. They'll treat them like they don't exist.
Good point, and this could definitely be the case, to prevent those last few characters from leaking early

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
So why is everyone assuming Incineroar and Ken are the only two reps left? Assuming box theory is true. Cuz those two seem to come from Vergeben, but he says that we're also getting a 2nd Square Rep. So box theory can't really line up with that, right?
It's simple, if Vergeben is right then the Box won't have every character on it.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Something bugs me right now. Sakurai's wording when he said about the reveal of every newcomer before release. He said revealing "Every Design" of the new fighters. I'm probably just over analysing it here. But it bugs me now for some reason.

Chrono.

Wow. Yesterday, nearly everyone though the box theory was absolutely true. But now, it seems that people are finding flaws in it today now. Talk about a roller coaster of speculation.
I think it's just that yesterday we were all kinda tired.

On top of that a couple of posts on both sides got way too hostile while today everyone's had time to let the theory simmer in their heads a bit. relax and debate it without things getting out of hand.

Last edited:

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
They put everybody in their spot so far. Ken being likely from it probably has to do with the fact they need to represent a product as accurately as they are allowed to do.
So they need to represent the final product as accurately as possible, except when they don't and can resize things as much as they want whenever they want to? Seems like a major contradiction.

Does Nintendo care about spoiling things or not? Cause Ken being included on the box indicates the latter. They wouldn't just not care in that one specific case, but then require the mockup team to completely redesign the box as to not spoil anything else besides that one specific fighter.

Also, that means that this boxart will never include Isabelle, gen 7 pokemon or Ken.

They would probably just change the mock-up when it’s allowed.
The image on that box art is a completely separate deal from the box art that has been used throughout the reveal process to build hype. It's an entirely different case and has been designed from the beginning to be altered as the game nears release. This is not the case for this new box art.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Sakurai said all fighters will be revealed before release though
Ya see, the thing about Sakurai is that, he's an unpredictable monster, he said that we running out of characters and he gives us 12 non-echo characters in smash 4's base roster.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Ya see, the thing about Sakurai is that, he's an unpredictable monster, he said that we running out of characters and he gives us 12 non-echo characters in smash 4's base roster.
Nah I don't see that. He's changed his mind before but knowingly lying to us is another thing entirely

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Has anyone pointed out the difference between the switch bundle reveal and the leaked bundle?
https_%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2018%2F09%2Fnintendo-switch-super-smash-bros-ultimate-bund...jpg
super_smash_bros_ultimate_nintendo_switch_console_bundle_leak.jpg

If we're talking about boxes and place holders, that smash logo looks like a total place holder.

Edit: My guess is the leak was an early design of the box. That smash logo definitely looks like a placeholder though. *Shrug*

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Call me crazy but I think the last direct will throw a surprising amount of characters at us.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
What are the chances of getting a special/ limited/ or ultimate edition that includes a physical copy, steel case, pro controller, game cube controller & adaptor, joy cons and dock?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Biggest flaw with this is that this is the bundle that releases with the game, not in November. So we will know all the characters at that point and there's no reason to hide any more unrevealed characters.
Still gotta manufacture the product ahead of time and ship it out to retailers overseas. Even if we know who the final characters are by then, that doesn't mean people wouldn't be able to leak the boxart a lot earlier than Nintendo wanted.

Might be easier for them to just leave out a few characters than to risk leaking something in a way that was so easy to avoid.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
What are the chances of getting a special/ limited/ or ultimate edition that includes a physical copy, steel case, pro controller, game cube controller & adaptor, joy cons and dock?
I mean, I think the special edition with the majority of all of that has been announced.
However, I don't think you're going to get a physical steel book copy alongside all of that.
I think the system just comes with a digital download code.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Something bugs me right now. Sakurai's wording when he said about the reveal of every newcomer before release. He said revealing "Every Design" of the new fighters. I'm probably just over analysing it here. But it bugs me now for some reason.
That was the English translation... What did he actually say in Japanese?

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
I don't buy into the box theory. That being said my hopes for newcomers are gone and at this point I'm just going to look out for leaks and wait to see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom