• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Quick question:

Which would you guys prefer:

1) a large starting roster (4-8 more characters) with a reduced dlc roster (5) that ends in one year
2) a reduced starting roster (1-2 more) with a large dlc roster (6-12) spanning several years

While keeping in mind that resources and time are required for each
I'd rather have a strong starting roster and keeping DLC to a minimum than having to shill out more money aside from the $60 USD that the game costs

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Quick question:

1) a large starting roster (4-8 more characters) with a reduced dlc roster (5) that ends in one year
2) a reduced starting roster (1-2 more) with a large dlc roster (6-12) spanning several years

I'd take a long DLC period, honestly. I'm ready for the game to come out, and I think a longer DLC period may allow for them to get new data on new releases or look for new favorites (or so I can spam Dovahkiin votes) as we go along. Plus it'd keep speculation alive. As we can see now, once people think the final answers are out there, nobody wants to talk about who's likely anymore - it's then if anyone's likely.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Was he really requested prior to the echo fighters reveal? I saw Daisy, Chrom and Dark Samus' names constantly but not Shadow's. In fact I would argue that Tails was more popular than him. Sorry if this offends anyone but I feel like he was more a badwagon choice after people realized that he could be in the game, unlike the 4 new echoes that we have already (bar Richter and he is a special case)
Shadow was a very meme pick. He was kinda like Cloud before he was revealed, big smashers dismissed him but you get A LOT of younger, less experienced online or just generally more casual fans requesting the character

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Yeah this thread moves really fast. I considered making a thread to compile all the information, and I could always do that later.

In the meantime, why are people being rude? C’mon guys, I disagree with people sometimes myself but it’s not right to start throwing insults. It doesn’t matter who started it. We should always strive to try listening to each other and keeping it civil.

“Seek to understand, then to be understood”.

I love Smash a ton. I do. But I don’t have it in me to truly be a **** about it to a stranger when really all we mostly want is to play the damn game.

Just be kind to each other. Oy.
I apologize, but I've had such a history of uncivilness towards me when it comes to this website that I've gotten scrappy.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Quick question:

I'm good with the former honestly. I prefer to have as much content possible on cartridge because that's more future-proofed. The build up and excitement before release is also a bit different to DLC and I enjoy it more. Huge build up of excitement and then a giant wall of content to play and explore!

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I'd take a long DLC period, honestly. I'm ready for the game to come out, and I think a longer DLC period may allow for them to get new data on new releases or look for new favorites (or so I can spam Dovahkiin votes) as we go along. Plus it'd keep speculation alive. As we can see now, once people think the final answers are out there, nobody wants to talk about who's likely anymore - it's then if anyone's likely.
Gosh, who knows how crazy the DLC support could get?? It can last much longer than Smash 4's this time, with no veterans to worry about including either!

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'd rather have a strong starting roster and keeping DLC to a minimum than having to shill out more money aside from the $60 USD that the game costs
That I definitely agree with.
I honestly just dislike paid DLC characters which is why I prefer costumes, because I don't need to get them if I don't want them and contributes nil to the meta, whereas with characters I pretty much need to do it to get the complete roster. :glare:

I'm kinda hoping that people with the Online subscription can just have those without paying, or even better, that they don't cost anything at all. But the latter is unrealistic. I can see the first one happening though.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Shadow was a very meme pick.
I wouldn't call him a meme pick. Tails or Dr.Eggman would be better, but I still think that's a serious pick, just not one I'm fond of.

Funny enough as ????????????? ????????????? pointed out, his game (The Sonic Adventure 2 port) was the first Sonic game on a Nintendo console.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I've just always personally felt we had 5 left after the reveal of K. Rool.

We've gotten Isabelle and towards the end even my faith in her being a unique fighter began to waiver, so I thought she'd be on Echo side.

But I honestly have always felt the end would be a reveal of two unique and two echoes.

It just seems logical to me for whatever reason. You also get the marketing power of ''Over 75 fighters" depending on how you classified them because that'd be 76 fighters.

I just always felt as if the final direct would start wit ha newcomer reveal, have Sakurai show off the final echoes, and then end with his ''There's just one more thing".

Of course you have to also throw in the Spirits mode, but that's only gonna be hype for people really invested in the single player side of Smash Bros.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I apologize, but I've had such a history of uncivilness towards me when it comes to this website that I've gotten scrappy.
It's okay friend. I still think you're cool even if you're testy.
That's more than I can say about some people in here :4pacman:

I don't know what your stance is on the current pressing issue, and I don't particularly mind either way, because I'm totally ignoring it for my own theories anyway :laugh:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Yeah this thread moves really fast. I considered making a thread to compile all the information, and I could always do that later.

In the meantime, why are people being rude? C’mon guys, I disagree with people sometimes myself but it’s not right to start throwing insults. It doesn’t matter who started it. We should always strive to try listening to each other and keeping it civil.

“Seek to understand, then to be understood”.

I love Smash a ton. I do. But I don’t have it in me to truly be a **** about it to a stranger when really all we mostly want is to play the damn game.

Just be kind to each other. Oy.
I would love for that thread to be created and move all conversation about the box to there. Then we can continue regualr discussion here. It's just annoying any time a new "theory" or "leak" comes out that no actual conversation can be held on it because people are misinformed and can't be bothered to watch one of the many two minute videos on YouTube already explaining it.

I've said it a million times but the general discussion thread is not a good place to discuss "theories" and "leaks".

I've just always personally felt we had 5 left after the reveal of K. Rool.

We've gotten Isabelle and towards the end even my faith in her being a unique fighter began to waiver, so I thought she'd be on Echo side.

But I honestly have always felt the end would be a reveal of two unique and two echoes.

It just seems logical to me for whatever reason. You also get the marketing power of ''Over 75 fighters" depending on how you classified them because that'd be 76 fighters.

I just always felt as if the final direct would start wit ha newcomer reveal, have Sakurai show off the final echoes, and then end with his ''There's just one more thing".

Of course you have to also throw in the Spirits mode, but that's only gonna be hype for people really invested in the single player side of Smash Bros.
I agree however just like the 50 fact direct, I could easily see the "one more thing" being the first dlc character. That's my current bet.

Honestly I'm tempering my expectations of newcomers left and instead putting all my hope and energy into Decideueye getting in over Incineroar.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I honestly find it silly that people really think something as amateurish and obvious as a boxart count would be allowed to be seen, given how easy those are to draw from.

And I've seen plenty of games pull the whole placeholder image deal.

We're likely getting more than just 2 newcomers left. Mark my words.
This in all front for me

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
That I definitely agree with.
I honestly just dislike paid DLC characters which is why I prefer costumes, because I don't need to get them if I don't want them and contributes nil to the meta, whereas with characters I pretty much need to do it to get the complete roster. :glare:
Agreed. If i'm paying for a hamburger, then give me the whole thing, not just the buns and the lettuce.
The only way i'm buying DLC is if either Shantae or Geno don't make it in the base roster but they get announced as paid characters.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Nintendo and Activision made a agreement to put 2 Nintendo characters in Skylanders.
Maybe the agreement was to put 2 Activision characters in a Nintendo Game in return?
Crash and Spyro in Smash maybe.

capa.jpg

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Quick question:

would totally go for the extended dlc period, more dlc would mean longer support cycle for smash, 2 years would mean that we could have more options relevant to the switch console and with enough slots (12 it means that some fan favorites ATs would still have a chance)

MrPowerfulJeans

Smash Cadet
Quick question:

I assume by starting roster, you mean the remaining yet-to-be-revealed fighters?

Well, I'd obviously go with 2.

While with 2 remaining characters would be a bit of a bummer (especially if it's someone everyone is calling), DLC could easily fix those issues, and maybe even get more hype than the core roster did. Besides, we got Ridley and King K. Rool. I don't think many people would be disappointed by only 1-2 more fighters.

Plus you could add characters from beyond 2015, since the DLC is spanning multiple years. And speaking of, having DLC span multiple years would definitely give Smash Ultimate longevity as a video game. Especially since I personally hope for some unorthodox ideas for Ultimate's DLC, to keep the hype alive. The only problem is that you need to pay for this stuff... But, as long as it's not too expensive, I think the positives outweigh the negatives. Besides, I'll be buying the DLC regardless.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Nintendo and Activision made a agreement to put 2 Nintendo characters in Skylanders.
Maybe the agreement was to put 2 Activision characters in a Nintendo Game in return?

View attachment 164432
We can hope. They'd probably be DLC though.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Quick question:

The one that gives me the most characters.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Even just 3 not two gives Nintendo the power to say ''75 fighters in total."

75 is a really good marketing number.

But ultimately I guess we'll all see.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

View attachment 164432
Putting in Crash as DLC would make me very happy. Here's hoping his Japanese Sega Switch port release goes over well enough for the Japanese audience to get the same hopes for him in Smash as we Westerners did the day Smash Ultimate was announced.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Well, here's something to get our minds off of boxes for a second:

When you go to the 'Fighters' section of the official website, it starts with just the Isabelle banner, but then switches back to the montage we had before the August direct.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Even just 3 not two gives Nintendo the power to say ''75 fighters in total."

75 is a really good marketing number.

But ultimately I guess we'll all see.
Except they can claim 76 with the Pokemon Trainer and Mii Fighters.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Putting in Crash as DLC would make me very happy. Here's hoping his Japanese Sega Switch port release goes over well enough for the Japanese audience to get the same hopes for him in Smash as we Westerners did the day Smash Ultimate was announced.
Crash was huge in Japan in his day, even if he needed a redesign to do it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The box should say "too many characters" at this point. Like too many more an it'll morph into DBZ BT3

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
ok.. just ran some calculations, and yeah... the box theory is looking more solid. (i misunderstood it the first time) and at this point Ken as a ryu echo seems to be a lock in. like, everything fits so well for Ken to be ryu echo (at least this makes me breath easier knowing that Ken was an echo) and doesn't contradict verge leak, since the last 2 spots would be gen 8 pokemon and the unkown square enix rep.

on the other hand, if the last unkown square enix is wrong, it may still be dante. if both of those things are wrong, we may get a last surprise characters... which kinda seems to fit. october "spirits" mode reveal, a couple of bosses reval, the last ATs reveal, maybe alt skins reveal. if Spirits have "random mooks" enemies, they would also be revealed here, and 69# and 60-e would be revealed here.

Then last reveal on november get us the #70 character who probably be hype inducing (Dante would be hype inducing... just not in the smash bros community XD) and december you got a launch.

it still would mean 70 numbered newcomers ... i think the box stuff is legit...

Ive would wish for a couple more echoes though :/

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I’ve been here even longer and I’ve never had any problems with anyone....

I think <,<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom